Eligibility Question

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Re: Eligibility Question

Post by SEOhio »

As you see, travel ball opinions are a lot like political opinions. Everyone has their own opinion and nobody is going to change that no matter what facts they are shown. In all, you have to make what decision is best for your own child and live with those decisions. If you choose to go in debt to pay for travel, the you are the one who will pay for many years to come. If you choose not to save for college for your kids, then your child and you as a parent will have to figure out what to do after that 4 years of HS. My point, we all have to make the best decision for our own child but we must be the adult and think ahead because many kids including mine just think of today and not tomorrow without understanding their future with false hopes of playing at the next level above HS. Just a small percentage of boys and girls play at the college level who play HS sports unless they play a sport like golf, tennis, or lacrosse. Don’t think I am an angry parent because my kids doesn’t play because they both are everyday players in softball and volleyball. They have been invited to try out for many club and travel teams in both sports. I just feel that they should work hard to get that high ACT score and keep their GPA at the highest level possible. They should play the school sports they love with their friends and keep preparing for the real world that will be here in just a few short years.

"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"
blockcharge7
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge7 »

ACT and GPA by far more important than BA or ERA. D1 currently can have no more than 12 scholarships per year. D2 7 each and NAIA 10. That's not to say there might not be other endowed dollars. Plus you get hurt this year your athletic scholarship might not be there next year.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

blockcharge7 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:09 pm ACT and GPA by far more important than BA or ERA. D1 currently can have no more than 12 scholarships per year. D2 7 each and NAIA 10. That's not to say there might not be other endowed dollars. Plus you get hurt this year your athletic scholarship might not be there next year.
See the athletic scholarships are few and far between. That was my entire point. Enjoy the game while in HS and help save money for college. They are going to need their parents help.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

SEOhio wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:59 am
blockcharge7 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:09 pm ACT and GPA by far more important than BA or ERA. D1 currently can have no more than 12 scholarships per year. D2 7 each and NAIA 10. That's not to say there might not be other endowed dollars. Plus you get hurt this year your athletic scholarship might not be there next year.
See the athletic scholarships are few and far between. That was my entire point. Enjoy the game while in HS and help save money for college. They are going to need their parents help.
Your entire assumption is that people would use the money they would save on college. My oppinion is if you haven’t started saving by the time your kids are old enough to play travel ball that you would probably be Spending that money on something other than college anyway.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

At your top highschool programs in the area I’m not sure you don’t get left behind with no travel ball. Most kids aren’t going to develop much playing LL. Pitching and time just isn’t there. A kid that is only exposed to LL for 3 years age 10-11-12 will in most cases be way behind a kid that has played travel ball those same 3 years. You can play on some local teams that do not travel much to cut down on cost. Portsmouth, waverly, Ashland Athens many sites in WV all host tourneys with good teams. As my child got older we even started driving home from the Columbus tourneys instead of staying if the scheduling permitted it. It’s not always about trying to get to college ball at some schools you need to play to be able to compete at your highschool.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

Can a girl entering 9th grade this fall transfer to another school via open enrollment without being penalized?

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

TVC wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:24 am Can a girl entering 9th grade this fall transfer to another school via open enrollment without being penalized?
The way I understand it is you can if you move into the district but if you are open enrollment and live outside of district you will have to sit the last half of the season including tournament run.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

I believe it doesn't start till freshman year.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:36 am I believe it doesn't start till freshman year.
Your correct “transfers after 5th day of freshmen year or after having participated in a school sponsored practice scrimmage etc...”

rocket20
Freshman Team

Post by rocket20 »

My kid has went to the same school district his whole life so far but we moved outside the school district and he uses open enrollment so when he gets in high school will we have to move back to school district?

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

rocket20 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:13 am My kid has went to the same school district his whole life so far but we moved outside the school district and he uses open enrollment so when he gets in high school will we have to move back to school district?
Your kid isn't transferring schools.

rocket20
Freshman Team

Post by rocket20 »

Thanks. That's the way I was reading it was only if he was transferring into the school district.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

rocket20 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:07 pm Thanks. That's the way I was reading it was only if he was transferring into the school district.
The new transfer rules started after the student moves to another school after the first day of their Hs career. The parents still move in the district and the kid isn’t penalized. There are other exceptions that players will use. Most of the time in HS in our area, one of the parents move in that district and doesn’t fall under this rule. Big city transfers is the target here. Kids who do open enrollment prior to day 1 of HS doesn’t fall under this rule.

Return to “Softball”