Eligibility Question

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Eligibility Question

Post by SEOhio »

My daughter will be a freshman next year and I was wondering when she can start practicing with the HS team. I know HS teams are given 10 instructional days but I thought it was the August 1 calendar date before she can according to OHSAA for spring sports. I would ask her coach but he usually doesn’t know and just says go ahead. I don’t want her to have to sit out a year if she is caught. I know HS and JH can’t practice together. That is a clear OHSAA rule in softball.

"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"
ManitouDan2
SE

Re: Eligibility Question

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Not that no one uses them .. But I'm not aware of any local Scioto co HS's that really uses the 10 instructional days in the fall . Kids are on vaca or playing Nationals with their travel team . They just finished 8 straight weeks of travel plus nationals , really hard to get them together in August .

BobcatBall
Freshman Team

Post by BobcatBall »

OHSAA Rules have change a lot of the last 5 years. Just as in the Coach, coaching travel ball post you had i would recommend catching up on the rules at they are quite fair now.

OHSAA allows 10 instructional days.
You are correct. A school affiliated Jr High can't practice with varsity. But very few schools are funding Jr High teams. The teams are responsible for everything uniforms, umpires, field supplies themselves.
But because of this OHSAA has no say in who a jr high player can and can't play for and when.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

BobcatBall wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:05 pm OHSAA Rules have change a lot of the last 5 years. Just as in the Coach, coaching travel ball post you had i would recommend catching up on the rules at they are quite fair now.

OHSAA allows 10 instructional days.
You are correct. A school affiliated Jr High can't practice with varsity. But very few schools are funding Jr High teams. The teams are responsible for everything uniforms, umpires, field supplies themselves.
But because of this OHSAA has no say in who a jr high player can and can't play for and when.
I appreciate the information!! I understand that many jr high programs aren’t a part of the OHSAA regulations BUT the HS program is. It clearly states that HS can’t participate with JH so when is the JH kids officially HS age for spring sports? I would think it would be August 1st but haven’t heard an official word yet. That is what I was afraid of and clearly don’t want my daughter being the cause of problems with the OHSAA and losing a whole season. There are way too many people posting pictures on social media and I have seen word get back to Columbus rather quickly and the school.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

You mention travel ball and I have learned a lot by reading the posts and information about it. It is like anything else and they are constantly changing based on the leadership at OHSAA. Travel ball isn’t for the elite anymore and anyone can basically find a team that will take their money to play. When it all started just the best was on travel teams, now it isn’t. There are even large tournaments that costs hundreds of dollars to enter that has become almost like a tourist attraction with the amount of money brought in to the communities from the parents who are forced to spend large amounts of money for nothing but little league games on the road. The travel ball has ruined the little league programs since they have to be over early and they can’t build those home grown teams of the past.

BobcatBall
Freshman Team

Post by BobcatBall »

Yeah Travel ball isn't what it use to be. Little league killed itself with too many rules and poor organization.
You're absolutely right though travel ball sure isn't what it use to be. But it doesn't hide that anyway. When i registered my team a couple years ago they asked me if i was a type A or type B.
A is for the ultra competitve. B isnt. The tournaments we get in usually go to the money goes to a fundraiser for
anything from childhood cancer to autism. My family enjoys the trips and the weekend hotel stays so more power to us.
L

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

BobcatBall wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:54 pm Yeah Travel ball isn't what it use to be. Little league killed itself with too many rules and poor organization.
You're absolutely right though travel ball sure isn't what it use to be. But it doesn't hide that anyway. When i registered my team a couple years ago they asked me if i was a type A or type B.
A is for the ultra competitve. B isnt. The tournaments we get in usually go to the money goes to a fundraiser for
anything from childhood cancer to autism. My family enjoys the trips and the weekend hotel stays so more power to us.
L
The tournaments that play for charity is few and far between. Do you know how much of the fee is actually going to the charity on the one you play for charity? I bet the people holding it takes a portion for “asministration” fees. Your money for hotels and travel als isn’t going to a charity each and every weekend. That is awsome that your family enjoys it and you can actually afford to do it. Most families now takes two incomes and has to use that money for meet the needs of their kids or pay bills. My point is not everyone can pay for it and it goes against your home grown team pointed out rather than just your own.

BobcatBall
Freshman Team

Post by BobcatBall »

Ya got me man. I've probably been funding terrorism every time i put a team in the "Autism Awerness" tourney and didn't even realize it.
I bet every year we get in the Mashing Melanoma tourney it actually goes to support abortions too.....

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

SEOhio wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:56 pm
BobcatBall wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:54 pm Yeah Travel ball isn't what it use to be. Little league killed itself with too many rules and poor organization.
L
The tournaments that play for charity is few and far between. Do you know how much of the fee is actually going to the charity on the one you play for charity? I bet the people holding it takes a portion for “asministration” fees. Your money for hotels and travel als isn’t going to a charity each and every weekend. That is awsome that your family enjoys it and you can actually afford to do it. Most families now takes two incomes and has to use that money for meet the needs of their kids or pay bills. My point is not everyone can pay for it and it goes against your home grown team pointed out rather than just your own.
SEOhio...I usually like what you post but if I could down vote this 100xs I would. Because some families can’t afford means that others shouldn’t have the opportunity? And trust me...the ones playing travel ball are only helping their “home grown” team even more by playing travel ball. Seeing the competition that you see in travel is only going to make you better .

BuckeyeEliteCoach03
Waterboy

Post by BuckeyeEliteCoach03 »

OHSAA FAQ:

Can Middle School Players practice or play with High School players?
Answer: No. OHSAA Bylaws prohibit middle school players from practicing or competing with High School players during the season of play in all sports. There are no restrictions OUTSIDE the season of play.

Can Middle School Players participate in Open Gyms/Fields at the High School level?
Answer: Yes. OHSAA Bylaws and Sports Regulations do not prevent anyone from participating in Open Gyms/Fields/Facilities or (as mentioned above) any out-of-season activity.

Can Middle School Players participate with High School Players during “Summer Ball” or “Fall Ball?”
Answer: Yes. Related to the above, any competition that occurs outside the defined season of play is not considered OHSAA “sponsored” and therefore not under any regulations that limit 7-8 from playing with 9-12 individuals.

BobcatBall
Freshman Team

Post by BobcatBall »

BuckeyeEliteCoach03 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:50 pm OHSAA FAQ:

Answer: No. OHSAA Bylaws prohibit middle school players from practicing or competing with High School players during the season of play in all sports. There are no restrictions OUTSIDE the season of play.

Can Middle School Players participate in Open Gyms/Fields at the High School level?
Answer: Yes. OHSAA Bylaws and Sports Regulations do not prevent anyone from participating in Open Gyms/Fields/Facilities or (as mentioned above) any out-of-season activity.

Can Middle School Players participate with High School Players during “Summer Ball” or “Fall Ball?”
Answer: Yes. Related to the above, any competition that occurs outside the defined season of play is not considered OHSAA “sponsored” and therefore not under any regulations that limit 7-8 from playing with 9-12 individuals.
Thank you for posting that. I saw it during the rules meeting but wasn't take the time to look it up again lol

rocket20
Freshman Team

Post by rocket20 »

I agree with travel ball not being what it used to be and about the money. My daughter was definitely good enough to play travel ball (and I'm not a Homer and saying it just cause she's mine either) but as a big family I just couldn't afford to get her on the good travel ball teams which I regret to this day. We did it one year and it was an awesome experience even played in the world series in Florida at the end of the year but it literally took everything we had to do it. So after that we had to just keep her on more local teams that didn't go to the big tournaments just cause she wanted to keep playing. She loved the game of softball. Then I would see other kids that weren't as talented at times getting that opportunity and it was hard to see. We work our butts off everyday too for every little thing we have and to this day I feel I let her down by not getting the better coaching or whatever and more then likely being able to become an even better softball player then she turned out to be. Even though in my heart she's the best. So now I know I will get blasted I'm sure by people saying I should've done more or got a different job to make more money or whatever but it's not like they're easy to come by.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Great post Rocket . You sound like a great parent to me .

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

rocket20 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:40 am I agree with travel ball not being what it used to be and about the money. My daughter was definitely good enough to play travel ball (and I'm not a Homer and saying it just cause she's mine either) but as a big family I just couldn't afford to get her on the good travel ball teams which I regret to this day. We did it one year and it was an awesome experience even played in the world series in Florida at the end of the year but it literally took everything we had to do it. So after that we had to just keep her on more local teams that didn't go to the big tournaments just cause she wanted to keep playing. She loved the game of softball. Then I would see other kids that weren't as talented at times getting that opportunity and it was hard to see. We work our butts off everyday too for every little thing we have and to this day I feel I let her down by not getting the better coaching or whatever and more then likely being able to become an even better softball player then she turned out to be. Even though in my heart she's the best. So now I know I will get blasted I'm sure by people saying I should've done more or got a different job to make more money or whatever but it's not like they're easy to come by.
Great post
Often thought the same thing
Great travel ball, LL, JR high and highschool memory’s watching her play

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

I appreciate you actually answering my question and it puts my mind at ease knowing this. As to the travel ball issue, I think kids should be able to enjoy their summer with their friends and family. Like in a previous post, they only have 4 summers to enjoy summer with their friends and family before they have to go to college with high demands and/or have to get a job. The players and parents know if they are a college prospect once they reach their HS level. The travel ball issue just puts strain on families who feel like they have to take their life savings to try to do. Parents have to think about helping pay expenses for college even if they get money from grants or scholarships. Even playing local and spending an average of $4,000 (which is what I spent one year on hotels, food, transportation, supplies, uniforms, and team fees all while staying within 100 miles from home the entire summer)for 4 years equals $16,000 which pays a lot for their higher education. I know people don’t agree with me on this but you seriously need to consider the future rather than reliving your glory years.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

SEOhio wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:16 pm

I appreciate you actually answering my question and it puts my mind at ease knowing this. As to the travel ball issue, I think kids should be able to enjoy their summer with their friends and family. Like in a previous post, they only have 4 summers to enjoy summer with their friends and family before they have to go to college with high demands and/or have to get a job. The players and parents know if they are a college prospect once they reach their HS level. The travel ball issue just puts strain on families who feel like they have to take their life savings to try to do. Parents have to think about helping pay expenses for college even if they get money from grants or scholarships. Even playing local and spending an average of $4,000 (which is what I spent one year on hotels, food, transportation, supplies, uniforms, and team fees all while staying within 100 miles from home the entire summer)for 4 years equals $16,000 which pays a lot for their higher education. I know people don’t agree with me on this but you seriously need to consider the future rather than reliving your glory years.
Really not sure how allowing my daughter to play a sport she loved was “reliving my glory years”. Was it expensive? Yes. Stressful at times? Yes. It was also worth every bit of it watching her smile, have fun and play the sport she loved. Some trips my wife went, some I went, most often the entire family went. Heck the younger kids loved the hotels, swimming pools and eating out all summer. Wouldn’t change a thing.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

fbnut wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:55 pm
SEOhio wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:16 pm

Really not sure how allowing my daughter to play a sport she loved was “reliving my glory years”. Was it expensive? Yes. Stressful at times? Yes. It was also worth every bit of it watching her smile, have fun and play the sport she loved. Some trips my wife went, some I went, most often the entire family went. Heck the younger kids loved the hotels, swimming pools and eating out all summer. Wouldn’t change a thing.
I didn’t mean everyone was reliving their glory years but a lot of parents are when it comes to their expectations in sports. Did your kid earn a college athletic scholarship? If they did, I would agree it was worth it. If not, did they have to go in debt to go to school. Just think of all that wasted money on travel ball that could have been saved and used instead of getting loans. I could understand it more if they were all local drives that wouldn’t have the expensive weekend stays but that’s my opinion. It is the perception that they have to play to make them happy also wrong in my opinion about my kid.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

She actually earned a academic scholarship. I’ve spent a lot of money on tumbling, dance singing swimming and the list goes on and on. If The kids had an interest in it, wanted to try it and I could afford it, I don’t consider it “wasting money “ . I never said” she had to play to make her happy”but she was happy when she was playing.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

fbnut wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:47 am She actually earned a academic scholarship. I’ve spent a lot of money on tumbling, dance singing swimming and the list goes on and on. If The kids had an interest in it, wanted to try it and I could afford it, I don’t consider it “wasting money “ . I never said” she had to play to make her happy”but she was happy when she was playing.
Agree. Time well spent. But the other side of the coin is this. If you don’t play travel you limit playing at the next level. So there has to be a balance. But make good grades and they will take you the furthest. Play sports to make memories.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

fbnut wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:47 am She actually earned a academic scholarship. I’ve spent a lot of money on tumbling, dance singing swimming and the list goes on and on. If The kids had an interest in it, wanted to try it and I could afford it, I don’t consider it “wasting money “ . I never said” she had to play to make her happy”but she was happy when she was playing.
The “had to play to make her happy” quote was just in the full conversation we were having on this topic and not directed at you. The point I make is academics is the most important part. Travel ball includes all the summer, fall, and sometimes even participating in the winter. Focus should be on academics and that isn’t the case with many but not all parents. I think you made the best point in “you could afford it”. As long as it wasn’t driving you in debt and your child didn’t have to go in debt for college then I would be all for it. My daughter is happy when she is playing also but getting at her age I have sat down and explained the importance of her academics and putting money in her college fund rather than playing travel ball that isn’t going to get her past her senior year. I am thrilled that she plays in every game and that I don’t have to be a coach on the team for her to do so. Her mom and I are supportive parents that wants her to work hard and earn what she desires because the real world won’t hand you an award just for coming to work each and every day.

Return to “Softball”