What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Prime Time
JV Starter
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:08 am
Location: Banks of the Hocking

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by Prime Time » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:42 pm

So the real comments are coming out. Wheelersburg should have all 9 players on first or second teams and rest of SOC gets what’s left over that’s my belief in reading these comments. Wow I think it’s called the SOC awards maybe not the Wheelersburg awards. Anyone else agree but anyways that’s how it came across to me. Good luck to all



Softballdad
Bench
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:21 am

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by Softballdad » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:48 pm

No it should just be the best players in THE SOC. Team shouldn't matter or how many from a team or if a team has no one. It's always been that way so it is what it is. But... I guarantee you there are kids that make all SOC that wouldn't start for some teams in the league

ManitouDan2
Varsity Starter
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:00 am

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by ManitouDan2 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:26 pm

Prime Time wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:42 pm
So the real comments are coming out. Wheelersburg should have all 9 players on first or second teams and rest of SOC gets what’s left over that’s my belief in reading these comments. Wow I think it’s called the SOC awards maybe not the Wheelersburg awards. Anyone else agree but anyways that’s how it came across to me. Good luck to all
You post is so far off base its hard to even take seriously . This thread mainly discussed Pitcher of the year and Coach of the year . And no where . NO WHERE does anyone suggest all 9 Burg starters should be honored with anything . As a matter fact very very few posters even named any Burg player . So if you would like to add FACTS to your argument that the way things were done and the choice of player and coach then please do so . But I dont mean " give it player A because they are a senior and tried really hard " Unless thats what you believe . Throwing every inning means diddly squat if you dont win . It only mean your team didn't have another pitcher .
Some stats cant be fudged or bent . Its fact Burgs two pitchers dominated the league . Its fact they had the lowest ERA's , Its fact they went undefeated , its fact they would be the number one starter on every team in the SOC except possibly Waverly . So is there really a question about who had the best on field performance ? Should a team be penalized for being good ? FWIW I have ZERO connections to anyone at Burg . I do care about kids passed over for stuff they deserve . And you should too .
Last edited by ManitouDan2 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManitouDan2
Varsity Starter
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:00 am

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by ManitouDan2 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:27 pm

As for coach award -- The PDT wrapped that up rather nicely .

ColdHardTruth
Freshman Starter
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:58 pm

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by ColdHardTruth » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:40 pm

ManitouDan2 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:26 pm
Prime Time wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:42 pm
So the real comments are coming out. Wheelersburg should have all 9 players on first or second teams and rest of SOC gets what’s left over that’s my belief in reading these comments. Wow I think it’s called the SOC awards maybe not the Wheelersburg awards. Anyone else agree but anyways that’s how it came across to me. Good luck to all
You post is so far off base its hard to even take seriously . This thread mainly discussed Pitcher of the year and Coach of the year . And no where . NO WHERE does anyone suggest all 9 Burg starters should be honored with anything . As a matter fact very very few posters even named any Burg player . So if you would like to add FACTS to your argument that the way things were done and the choice of player and coach then please do so . But I dont mean " give it player A because they are a senior and tried really hard " Unless thats what you believe . Throwing every inning means diddly squat if you dont win . It only mean your team didn't have another pitcher .
Some stats cant be fudged or bent . Its fact Burgs two pitchers dominated the league . Its fact they had the lowest ERA's , Its fact they went undefeated , its fact they would be the number one starter on every team in the SOC except possibly Waverly . So is there really a question about who had the best on field performance ? Should a team be penalized for being good ? FWIW I have ZERO connections to anyone at Burg . I do care about kids passed over for stuff they deserve . And you should too .
ERA isn't everything. The fact that both pitchers had great numbers should be a testament of the Burg defense and coaching almost as much as it is the pitchers.
I can easily see why both awards were given to who they were given to.
Some of you all have biases for teams. I've been in this board for YEARS and seen it. And it's perfectly ok, heck i have my own. But it's amazing why there can't be any other explanation for why Burg didn't get an award other than a "screwjob". It really takes away from all these awards don't matter arguments to turn around and see the same people saying Burg got screwed.

ManitouDan2
Varsity Starter
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:00 am

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by ManitouDan2 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:05 pm

I’m no Burg homer , just want to see the players who did the most bestest ( Little Caesar’s ? ) get the awards . No conspiracy , nothing of the sort . Carry on

Prime Time
JV Starter
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:08 am
Location: Banks of the Hocking

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by Prime Time » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:28 pm

The only facts that matter in the end has been published in the newspapers, those are facts, opinions are a dime a dozen.

fbnut
2nd Team All State
Posts: 1789
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:18 pm

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by fbnut » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:33 pm

ColdHardTruth wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:40 pm
ManitouDan2 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:26 pm
Prime Time wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:42 pm
So the real comments are coming out. Wheelersburg should have all 9 players on first or second teams and rest of SOC gets what’s left over that’s my belief in reading these comments. Wow I think it’s called the SOC awards maybe not the Wheelersburg awards. Anyone else agree but anyways that’s how it came across to me. Good luck to all
You post is so far off base its hard to even take seriously . This thread mainly discussed Pitcher of the year and Coach of the year . And no where . NO WHERE does anyone suggest all 9 Burg starters should be honored with anything . As a matter fact very very few posters even named any Burg player . So if you would like to add FACTS to your argument that the way things were done and the choice of player and coach then please do so . But I dont mean " give it player A because they are a senior and tried really hard " Unless thats what you believe . Throwing every inning means diddly squat if you dont win . It only mean your team didn't have another pitcher .
Some stats cant be fudged or bent . Its fact Burgs two pitchers dominated the league . Its fact they had the lowest ERA's , Its fact they went undefeated , its fact they would be the number one starter on every team in the SOC except possibly Waverly . So is there really a question about who had the best on field performance ? Should a team be penalized for being good ? FWIW I have ZERO connections to anyone at Burg . I do care about kids passed over for stuff they deserve . And you should too .
ERA isn't everything. The fact that both pitchers had great numbers should be a testament of the Burg defense and coaching almost as much as it is the pitchers.
I can easily see why both awards were given to who they were given to.
Some of you all have biases for teams. I've been in this board for YEARS and seen it. And it's perfectly ok, heck i have my own. But it's amazing why there can't be any other explanation for why Burg didn't get an award other than a "screwjob". It really takes away from all these awards don't matter arguments to turn around and see the same people saying Burg got screwed.
When selecting Pitcher of the Year I would think ERA, wins and losses would be near the top of things to consider. Last time I checked errors don’t count against your ERA.

Prime Time
JV Starter
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:08 am
Location: Banks of the Hocking

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by Prime Time » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:36 pm

But it sure does affect the wins or losses by a pitcher. So you can’t always go on the win loss aspect of a pitcher

fbnut
2nd Team All State
Posts: 1789
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:18 pm

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by fbnut » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:44 pm

Prime Time wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:36 pm
But it sure does affect the wins or losses by a pitcher. So you can’t always go on the win loss aspect of a pitcher
I was responding to someone else who said “ERA isn’t everything”. When selecting Pitcher of year it is pretty high on list of things to consider. If this was even close not sure you would have this kind of conversation. I have no problem with the player of the year. Would not have been my pick but I certainly understand how someone would choose her. She would have been on everyone’s top 2-3 players in SOC. The pitcher of year is just kind of a head scratcher. You could eliminate the burg ladies and I’m still not sure the winner is in the conversation.

SEOhio
Freshman Starter
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:51 am

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by SEOhio » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:23 pm

Prime Time wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:28 pm
The only facts that matter in the end has been published in the newspapers, those are facts, opinions are a dime a dozen.
I still think it should be public information about how each coach voted for the POY and COY. It is easy to hide at the water cooler to discuss the voting and then vote when nobody is watching over it. I feel the Ironton Tribune and the Portsmouth Daily Times should request that information be made available for publishing. I agree the fact is that those girls and coaches ultimately won on this broken system and should be congratulated for a great season. All in all, these conference awards are just wall hangers in their home which will have no bearing on their college. Heck, the coaches actually pick who they want from their team on the conference awards and don't have to answer to anyone else. I see several that shouldn't be on the list unless they just had bad games against my daughter's team. I know coaches have a tough job and that is why I am not a coach along with having a coach who has no ties to the HS team is the best. The All-state teams are the ones and you can see truly who the best athletes are in the Southeast by looking at that list.
"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"

Browns30
Freshman Starter
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:17 am

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by Browns30 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:02 pm

By looking at the all state list you can see who some of the best athletes are but honestly I know of a lot of players not on that list that are a lot better than some that are on there. Some of those girls not making that list are committed to D1 power 5 conference schools. But they didn't make it? Some not even first team in their district.

SEOhio
Freshman Starter
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:51 am

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by SEOhio » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:50 pm

Browns30 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:02 pm
By looking at the all state list you can see who some of the best athletes are but honestly I know of a lot of players not on that list that are a lot better than some that are on there. Some of those girls not making that list are committed to D1 power 5 conference schools. But they didn't make it? Some not even first team in their district.
According to a local coach who posts on here all the time, the coach can nominate up to 4 players on their team for districts. It may be an issue with the coach not getting their list in. There are girls on the district team who didn’t make their conference team either. I think the all-state list is fairly accurate but there are always exceptions. At least it isn’t the team’s coach solely making the decisions.
"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"

rxburgfan
Varsity Starter
Posts: 1115
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by rxburgfan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:22 pm

The coaches voted and they are responsible. I’m not even sure how you accept COY award when it belonged to Burg coach. By accepting it you diminish the award and then it means nothing in the long run. It become arbitrary hand out.

Prime Time
JV Starter
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:08 am
Location: Banks of the Hocking

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by Prime Time » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:35 am

Wow, this says it all! Just amazing.

Prime Time
JV Starter
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:08 am
Location: Banks of the Hocking

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by Prime Time » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:38 am

Responsible for what, responsible for awarding a trophy to a Coach they all voted for, no one should fill they’re entitled for anything. I Congratulate all the winners again, wow.

ManitouDan2
Varsity Starter
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:00 am

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by ManitouDan2 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:34 am

Prime time reminds me of this guy : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIZoVO8ZyyQ

ManitouDan2
Varsity Starter
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:00 am

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by ManitouDan2 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:35 am

Even funnier is how amazed Prime seems to be that people just might have an opinion different from hers . Like a better opinion as well .

Prime Time
JV Starter
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:08 am
Location: Banks of the Hocking

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by Prime Time » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:45 am

I can reverse it and say the same thing too. Like a opinion that doesn’t coincide with these posters.

Prime Time
JV Starter
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:08 am
Location: Banks of the Hocking

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by Prime Time » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:50 am

Yes , I’m amazed that this is June 8 and still crying over who the Coach’s picked. I don’t post videos making fun of people either just because ones opinion doesn’t agree with there’s.

fbnut
2nd Team All State
Posts: 1789
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:18 pm

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by fbnut » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:45 pm

Prime Time wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:35 am
Wow, this says it all! Just amazing.
“WOW” is exactly what a lot of people in the area thought when they saw some of these picks

ManitouDan2
Varsity Starter
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:00 am

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by ManitouDan2 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:12 pm

Prime Time wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:50 am
Yes , I’m amazed that this is June 8 and still crying over who the Coach’s picked.

Did you ever consider thats the entire premise of this thread ???? They waited FOREVER to release the picks ! ( like 3 days ago ? ) and stating facts and discussing softball isn't crying . I can only assume you have never had a kid deserve an award , get totally bypassed , and for a short period of time , a week or two , took some time to get over it ? I promise you players want coaches who have their back. You dont sound willing to call a spade a spade and take up for someone who didn't get treated properly . These players are not adults quite yet , the lack of acknowledgement for their on field success can have consequences . I have said my peace . The coach of the undefeated league champ got shunned by her peers , and neither of the two most outstanding pitchers won the pitcher award . Hopefully the scrunity shown here helps them think twice before screwing it up next year . Thats my hope .

Prime Time
JV Starter
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:08 am
Location: Banks of the Hocking

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by Prime Time » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Here’s a noble thought, as a player or Coach you have no input on who’s going to be selected for awards and the league your in, there Coach’s pick you to receive a award which you had nothing to do with. You feel good, proud, that you was thought of that highly again by your peers in the league to be awarded this. Then to come on here and read that some people doesn’t think you should have won anything and it was a screwed up vote,And even wasn’t the second best pick by there standards to even have been awarded anything. I say again Congrats to all winners and don’t let negative talk keep you from achieving bigger and better things ahead. good luck with your future and one day you can look at these awards and tell your kids. I really shouldn’t won this according to some but this was just a bump in the road and I worked hard and deserve these awards as much as anyone and who are they to say not. So next year would you be ok with trophy’s for everyone and no one gets snubbed.

Prime Time
JV Starter
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:08 am
Location: Banks of the Hocking

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by Prime Time » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:14 pm

Have a good summer all, see you all in August . Hocking football is next

JTEK
JV Backup
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by JTEK » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:19 pm

Prime Time wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:06 pm
Here’s a noble thought, as a player or Coach you have no input on who’s going to be selected for awards and the league your in, there Coach’s pick you to receive a award which you had nothing to do with. You feel good, proud, that you was thought of that highly again by your peers in the league to be awarded this. Then to come on here and read that some people doesn’t think you should have won anything and it was a screwed up vote,And even wasn’t the second best pick by there standards to even have been awarded anything. I say again Congrats to all winners and don’t let negative talk keep you from achieving bigger and better things ahead. good luck with your future and one day you can look at these awards and tell your kids. I really shouldn’t won this according to some but this was just a bump in the road and I worked hard and deserve these awards as much as anyone and who are they to say not. So next year would you be ok with trophy’s for everyone and no one gets snubbed.
Based on some of your comments I actually think your more of the “everyone should get a trophy” type person. I would be happy if those casting votes can at least make an argument that they are deserving. When voting on an award stop and think. Is this person I’m about to select even good enough to play on all the teams in the league. Stop and think would this pitcher be good enough to even pitch for every team in the league. Would this pitcher be the #1 pitcher for more than 3 maybe 4 teams in the league. If the answer to any of the above is no then do not pick them.

rxburgfan
Varsity Starter
Posts: 1115
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by rxburgfan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:25 am

How does a coach that doesn’t win COY for their conference win COY for their district? Does that mean their accomplishments weren’t good enough to get conference recognition but the were the best choice at the district level?

SEOhio
Freshman Starter
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:51 am

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by SEOhio » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:22 pm

JTEK wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:19 pm
Prime Time wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:06 pm
Here’s a noble thought, as a player or Coach you have no input on who’s going to be selected for awards and the league your in, there Coach’s pick you to receive a award which you had nothing to do with. You feel good, proud, that you was thought of that highly again by your peers in the league to be awarded this. Then to come on here and read that some people doesn’t think you should have won anything and it was a screwed up vote,And even wasn’t the second best pick by there standards to even have been awarded anything. I say again Congrats to all winners and don’t let negative talk keep you from achieving bigger and better things ahead. good luck with your future and one day you can look at these awards and tell your kids. I really shouldn’t won this according to some but this was just a bump in the road and I worked hard and deserve these awards as much as anyone and who are they to say not. So next year would you be ok with trophy’s for everyone and no one gets snubbed.
Based on some of your comments I actually think your more of the “everyone should get a trophy” type person. I would be happy if those casting votes can at least make an argument that they are deserving. When voting on an award stop and think. Is this person I’m about to select even good enough to play on all the teams in the league. Stop and think would this pitcher be good enough to even pitch for every team in the league. Would this pitcher be the #1 pitcher for more than 3 maybe 4 teams in the league. If the answer to any of the above is no then do not pick them.
There are a lot people today who are the participation trophy people including a lot of coaches. The coaches who are this type are the ones who will never win a championship. They just think of excuses of why they should still get a trophy even though they were mercy ruled by the top teams. They are teaching their players through their coaching and making the problem worse year after year. The only argument they give is that “my kid” or player on my team derseves to get an award too. I agree that they should be good enough to play on every team in the league and often that isn’t the case. The conference awards were just picked by the coach and the district award were given to 4 on each team. Now I know they were ranked by the teams and Honorable Mention but still a lot were just a nice pat that you showed up for every game. The All-Ohio team is really the one to be proud of but many would argue that not enough made it but they are some of the best in our region.
"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"

Browns30
Freshman Starter
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:17 am

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by Browns30 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:34 am

Apparently some people are misunderstanding my point. I have never said that any of the players didn't deserve their awards. I never said that any kid deserved something instead another. I was speaking for the ones who put in the work, put up the numbers, and was still left out for whatever reason. It's really discouraging for those kids. I'm done with this topic. On to travel ball :)

Post Reply