What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by ColdHardTruth »

Prime Time wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:21 pm I say that’s a pretty impressive list and Coach Spriggs did a fantastic job by reading the above post. When people read the whole body of work of a league, you get all these great story’s of the Coach’s and players n each conference. I see this as a balanced conference with great players and Coach’s in it and there’s great players on all the teams. Every group puts in hard work and are entitled to being recognized.
I agree, everyone can have their own opinions and not attack each other but i think the awards were for the most part spot on.
I know people want to say Burg, Burg, Burg and they DO deserve it but when you look at what Spriggs did its impressive. Same thing with pitcher of the year. BOTH Burg pitchers went undefeated i believe. How do you pick just one?
It's the same thing in the SOC 1. Clays coach is a GREAT Coach, but you can make an argument for JD McKenzie
With all the players they lost to graduation and transfers. There was no WRONG answer for a lot of these selections.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:10 pm
Prime Time wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:21 pm I say that’s a pretty impressive list and Coach Spriggs did a fantastic job by reading the above post. When people read the whole body of work of a league, you get all these great story’s of the Coach’s and players n each conference. I see this as a balanced conference with great players and Coach’s in it and there’s great players on all the teams. Every group puts in hard work and are entitled to being recognized.
I agree, everyone can have their own opinions and not attack each other but i think the awards were for the most part spot on.
I know people want to say Burg, Burg, Burg and they DO deserve it but when you look at what Spriggs did its impressive. Same thing with pitcher of the year. BOTH Burg pitchers went undefeated i believe. How do you pick just one?
It's the same thing in the SOC 1. Clays coach is a GREAT Coach, but you can make an argument for JD McKenzie
With all the players they lost to graduation and transfers. There was no WRONG answer for a lot of these selections.
Both burg pitchers went undefeated and one was 2nd team and one didn’t get on either team :roll: Pretty sure they both worked hard.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Congrats to all the young ladies that were recognized
Might be a balanced league after the top team but the top team hasn’t lost a league game in 4-5 years

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

fbnut wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:02 pm
Might be a balanced league after the top team but the top team hasn’t lost a league game in 4-5 years
What you are actually recognizing is the best players on each team not necessarily the best players in the conference.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

JTEK wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:11 pm
fbnut wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:02 pm
What you are actually recognizing is the best players on each team not necessarily the best players in the conference.
Excluding the POY’s and based on the number of selections each team is allowed that is a pretty good way to look at it.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

was going play devils advocate but it’s really not worth arguing here . Springs did a great job adding stability to a HS that had to let their coach go mid season last year . .
The pitcher award does cause me to SMH , valley gave up 37 runs in four games to the top two teams in the league .

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Wow, awesome stats , that’s a big difference then of top 3 teams. So a soph or freshman should of got it over a senior with a scholarship to SSU who has been thru the wars for four years and led a team back almost to the top. But those are impressive numbers you put out. Hard job but in the end I believe from reading here seems like Coach’s rewarded a senior who pitched every inning and brought the whole team up from the depths and made them a contender

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

To me unless the voting is super close , like a tie , the grade of the player is irrelevant- it isn’t the Jr Sr of the year award. . If the freshman is the most outstanding player and earned the award , then that’s who gets the award .. penalizing a kid for their grade is not fair imo . And the award isn’t who pitched the most innings - that’s just goofy . and valley wasn’t ever a contender this season . The scores show that .

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:02 pm To me unless the voting is super close , like a tie , the grade of the player is irrelevant- it isn’t the Jr Sr of the year award. . If the freshman is the most outstanding player and earned the award , then that’s who gets the award .. penalizing a kid for their grade is not fair imo . And the award isn’t who pitched the most innings - that’s just goofy . and valley wasn’t ever a contender this season . The scores show that .
But the problem is if you're Burg and you can only give it to one pitcher, who do you pick? I'd be willing to bet Burgs coach isn't near as upset about the outcome. There's an old saying about Quarterbacks in football "sometimes if you have two, you really don't have one". That's not necessarily the case with Burg, they are a BOTH GREAT PITCHERS and would be the ace one any team in this area probably. But, that bring said If I'm Burgs coach i want nothing to do with having to select only one.

Also remember, SOC awards (other than poy,coy pitcher of year) are picked by the coach of the team. Other choaches have no input.
All District awards are voted on by the coaches with the coaches not being allowed to vote for their own player.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Quite simply you pick their number one . Its that simple .

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

And it wasn’t up to burgs coach - she didn’t decide this award .

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:13 pm Quite simply you pick their number one . Its that simple .
Ok, who was their number 1, honest opinion?
I don't know if it's clear.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Well they threw Spence in every tourney game , every inning . So it’s Spence .

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:27 pm Well they threw Spence in every tourney game , every inning . So it’s Spence .
Didn't know that, thank you

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

As for Ruby, the softball coach, it is truly unbelievable what she accomplished with her 2018 version of the Lady Pirates. If you thought that Wheelersburg could win its first 24 games of the year after losing seven starters, two NCAA Division I signees (Faith Howard and Kalle Coleman), and an NCAA Division II signee in Bre Klaiber who is setting a blistering pace at LIU-Post, you are kidding yourself. It has to be one of the best coaching jobs that has ever been done in the Tri-State Area regardless of the level of sport or what sport it is. Wheelersburg is extremely lucky to have Teresa Ruby and her staff on board.

from PDT

not good enough for SOC COY though :lol:
I believe Claxton threw 1st game of districts

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:50 pm
ManitouDan2 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:02 pm To me unless the voting is super close , like a tie , the grade of the player is irrelevant- it isn’t the Jr Sr of the year award. . If the freshman is the most outstanding player and earned the award , then that’s who gets the award .. penalizing a kid for their grade is not fair imo . And the award isn’t who pitched the most innings - that’s just goofy . and valley wasn’t ever a contender this season . The scores show that .
But the problem is if you're Burg and you can only give it to one pitcher, who do you pick? I'd be willing to bet Burgs coach isn't near as upset about the outcome. There's an old saying about Quarterbacks in football "sometimes if you have two, you really don't have one". That's not necessarily the case with Burg, they are a BOTH GREAT PITCHERS and would be the ace one any team in this area probably. But, that bring said If I'm Burgs coach i want nothing to do with having to select only one.

Also remember, SOC awards (other than poy,coy pitcher of year) are picked by the coach of the team. Other choaches have no input.
All District awards are voted on by the coaches with the coaches not being allowed to vote for their own player.
I didn’t know that it was the coach who picks the conference award winners with no other input given by anyone else. This is good information to have!

Thank you!

"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"
SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

4thgoal wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:23 amFull list
Congratulations to everyone on the list. With anything, I am sure we will be questioning things that we read and think “wow”’. Ultimately, it is the coaches who was able to pick who they wanted recognized and only the coaches of their team. The district teams are also chosen by the coach to nominate up to 4 players as we were informed by a coach who posted about it on this site. The parents and players who feel this isn’t being done correctly by those coaches or favoritism is being shown can contact the AD and school board to ask for change. Many of these coaches get one year contracts because they aren’t school employees. The jobs have to be posted each year and every year.

"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"
wd-40
Waterboy

Post by wd-40 »

Claxon did pitch first district game, 6-1 win over Eastern Brown. She had to deal with an injury all season that occurred when she was the starting pitcher in the first game of the season.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

My fault on the omission of Claxon throwing the district opener . Either Claxon or Spence would have been the obvious choice . Both Undefeated ,Both low ERA's . Both easily the number one pitcher for everyone in the conference except maybe waverly ( ??) . So I would have went with one of them .

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

From looking in from outside and reading everyone’s posts. I believe the right choiceswere made from a different view than yours. Valleys pitcher was a one girl show from the looks of it. Just think what’s she’s capable if she only had some rest and she brought the team up to another level also. Just because runs were scored doesn’t mean she’s not a elite athlete. If fielding the ball for outs and errors that should been made makes a difference. you have to look at complete picture of a game. Easy outs not made, mental field errors makes a huge difference. SSU signed her so I say go gettem and get a good education while doing so. In the end a education matters more than a trophy anyways. We are losing site of the big picture here it’s a game and we had no say over votes, and it’s over.

Return to “Softball”