What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

fbnut
SEOP

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by fbnut »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:17 am Its one thing to say " well Burg had 3-4 D1 players who were juniors/ seniors and won the conference, any coach could do that " Its another to take a group of freshman and soph's in a league where other teams got older and more experienced and make several key moves that produced an undefeated season . Her best player was a freshman . Her pitcher had not threw any ( or a few a most ) HS innings period . But the voting coaches think someone else did a more outstanding job ? Maybe its simple sexism , they dont like getting it handed to them year after year after year from a lady . Or jealousy . Either way its ugly
Last edited by fbnut on Thu May 31, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

Great coaches teach their players there’s no “I” in team. Great players understand that and put the “we” over the “me”. Maybe that’s why Ruby and Burg didn’t get the votes because they didn’t care. They were worried about being successful as a TEAM. And they were.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Browns30 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:29 am Great coaches teach their players there’s no “I” in team. Great players understand that and put the “we” over the “me”. Maybe that’s why Ruby and Burg didn’t get the votes because they didn’t care. They were worried about being successful as a TEAM. And they were.
So what were the other coaches thinking when they voted?

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

fbnut wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:36 am
Browns30 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:29 am Great coaches teach their players there’s no “I” in team. Great players understand that and put the “we” over the “me”. Maybe that’s why Ruby and Burg didn’t get the votes because they didn’t care. They were worried about being successful as a TEAM. And they were.

They were voting for who they were asked to vote for.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Going to be even more controversial when they do release . You cant assign this to anything but a concerted effort to avoid picking the very obvious choices for Pitcher and Coach of the year. Its just sad .

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Browns30 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:50 am
fbnut wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:36 am

They were voting for who they were asked to vote for.
I don’t know how this works. So as a coach you don’t vote for who you think is deserving but for who your told to vote for?

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

Isn’t that the “water cooler” talk everyone is referring to?. I don’t know, ask one of the coaches..

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Well whoever is coach and player of the year. I congratulate both of you , don’t let negative posts take away from your accomplishment , just because a few believe other wise and wow these posts are kinda of crazy, I see now why it hasn’t been posted.Heres a idea let the fans vote next year like baseball does all star game. there’s always two sides to every story and To say coach’s got together is a stretch in my eyes. SOC 1 and 2. You r teams are suppose to be for each other’s accomplishments and applaud the winners and move on.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of this is for good men to do nothing.” I paraphrased a 1968 quote from a famous parliamentarian but my point is unless someone speaks up and encourages the coaches to do a more fair job of selecting the conference awards you will keep getting these choices where it certainly looks like politics and who you know played more in the decision than did on field performance . And that shouldnt be . But Prime Time actually suggested participation trophies so I'd guess his/her opinion is strongly in the minority .

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Everyone has a opinion, you have yours, I have mine( which is congrats to the winners) coach’s have there’s, everyone has a opinion. But in the end the picks were made and so be it. Next year is another year.you don’t have a vote, I don’t have a vote so it’s our opinions and that’s life fair or u nfair.you move on with grace and work for next year in high school or college or just plain life. good luck to all athletes in SOC keep workin toward the goal.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

I guess I'm not the " go along to get along" type . To each his own , but I bet if your kid got skipped over in obvious fashion you would like to have someone , anyone , speak up for him/her. Thank you for being cordial and keeping this an adult conversation .

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Your welcome. Sometimes things doesn’t go the way they should or think they should but men and women are made from circumstances such as these you describe and grow into better athletes or just plain human beings. Life happens

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Prime Time wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:51 pm Personally I feel like every team in conference should have at least one or two kids on team. One team should not have half there team on it. No matter what one fan base believes is right . The same argument can be made from all other teams that one team thinks they deserve there whole team on it. That’s no where close to being right. All kids put in the work and should be recognized from that team equally divided among the league teams. seen this before and Coachs from conference knows the best since they are around kids every day.
You should be selected if you earned it, it’s simple. Working hard shouldn’t earn you a spot. This “everyone should get a trophy” is why some schools in the area are always near the bottom in pretty much everything they compete in. BTW these people commenting are not from one school.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 11:18 am I guess I'm not the " go along to get along" type . To each his own , but I bet if your kid got skipped over in obvious fashion you would like to have someone , anyone , speak up for him/her. Thank you for being cordial and keeping this an adult conversation .
Kind of look at it as if your giving a trophy to everyone then why should you bother working hard

softballfan2112
Riding the Bench

Post by softballfan2112 »

Congratulations to those who won awards. With that being said saying this is an imperfect system is an understatement. To those of you who got snubbed keep digging. College coaches don’t even care about high school stats or awards because of how they can be manipulated. Hard work will pay off. I know a kid who didn’t make first team SOC or first team all district as a senior last year. It sucked because she knew she was deserving. It didn’t stop her from working hard and earning first team all conference as a freshman in college, and being nationally recognized as a top freshman in the country. Always look forward, never backwards. This does not define you.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

^ very true . We should try to push the commissioners or league exec's/ coaches to do better , but at the same time offer congrats to those that did win , and yes , its true , college coaches really dont care when it comes to your scholarship offer .

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

There is a real simple solution to the problem of voting for these awards. If they would just publish each coach’s votes, they would then be held accountable for who they voted for. I know that won’t happen because they want to vote to be private so they can have those water cooler talks. We even had one poster talk about several coaches working af the same place. It is the players who are being punished because the college coaches don’t look at these conference awards. You will be amazed when they are published, look at the coaches last names and the award winners names. You will see a lot of similarities. They are just in the game to make their own kid look better. We have seen this over and over with people thinking kids need recognized for a playing a team sport. The one person who commented about school’s being at the bottom in almost every sport is completely correct. The community needs to speak to your school’s AD to get these problems with voting and favoritism corrected. They are the ones who can make the changes.

"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"
KSW
Riding the Bench

Post by KSW »

So from the talk I can only assume the SOC doesn't have a conference award banquet? The conference my daughter plays in has a banquet where all league awards are presented, all the coaches stand in front of the crowd and give a short summary of their teams season and team and individual accomplishments. Pretty nice event, I guess I just assumed every conference did that. I have seen the boys district teams announced but not the girls. I have not seen any state awards announced, but all this was announced at the conference banquet.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

softballfan2112 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:18 pm Congratulations to those who won awards. With that being said saying this is an imperfect system is an understatement. To those of you who got snubbed keep digging. College coaches don’t even care about high school stats or awards because of how they can be manipulated. Hard work will pay off. I know a kid who didn’t make first team SOC or first team all district as a senior last year. It sucked because she knew she was deserving. It didn’t stop her from working hard and earning first team all conference as a freshman in college, and being nationally recognized as a top freshman in the country. Always look forward, never backwards. This does not define you.
Great post. Thank you for this!

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

tick tick tick. .. LOL , maybe they can release it on basketball preview night ? I kinda get the felling some " notation " might get made when released that they were waiting for Minford baseball ... that would be mighty weak .

Return to “Softball”