2019 SOC 1

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Re: 2019 SOC 1

Post by SOSoftball »

Your behind the times Dan. Competitive Balance was put in place to help public schools compete more fairly with private schools. You look at a teams roster and determine if players are a tier 0, tier 1 or a tier 2. In simple terms if a player lives in the school district then they are a Tier 0 player, if a player does not live in the district but has been continuously enrolled in the school since 7th grade they are a Tier 1 player, and if a player does not live in the district and has not been continuously enrolled in the school since 7th grade then they are a Tier 3 player. Tier 0 counts as 0 points, Tier 1 counts as 1 point per player and Tier 3 counts as 5 points per player.

Wheelersburg OHSAA enrollment shows them with 149 girls but with their competitive balance number at 31 it takes them up to 180 "girls enrolled". In essence it could place teams in a higher division if they have a lot of players on the team that have transferred into the school system.

Out of 187 teams in Division 3 Wheelersburg has the 4th highest competitive balance number with 31. In theory if all their transfers were Tier 1 players they could have 31 players on the roster that transferred in. We know that is unlikely and some of them are Tier 2 players. So again in theory you could have as few as 7 girls on the roster that transferred in and as many as 31.

Below are the competitive balance numbers for other SOC schools.

SOC 2
Waverly - 38
Wheelersburg - 31
South Webster - 11
Minford - 5
West - 4
Valley -3
Northwest - 0
Oakhill - 0

SOC 1
East - 27
Clay - 25
Notre Dame - 11
New Boston 7
Western - 5
Green - 2
Eastern - 1
Symmes Valley - 1

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

I think they are looking at one class only from Burg and concluding that everyone on the team is a transfer.
Burgs Jr Class has a few transfers from Portsmouth, Notre Dame then the girl from Oak Hill.
But on a team of 25+ thats just a direct few.

I guess the question is at what age is a kid considered home grown vs being a transplant?

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

I wonder if where East is a community school now all their players are considered a higher tier?

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:01 pm I wonder if where East is a community school now all their players are considered a higher tier?
Not sure...I was quite surprised at their number. Because of the odd number (27) they are going to have a mix of Tier 1's and 2's.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

FWIW Im familiar with competive balance , I wasn’t sure what the number 31 meant ... anyway burgs talent that caused them to dominate the conference is home grown . period . No explanation needed .

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

I'll take your word on the homegrown players as I am not real familiar with most of Wheelersburg's roster. But if that is the case there are a lot of transfers sitting on the bench.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

I’m open to be checked on it , but burg had zero or 1 transfer starting on the team that played in back to back state finals . Is that 31 number a number that relates to girls sports ? Maybe other athletic teams have transfer that contribute ? Idk

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

The Klieper ( sp ? ) girl from Ironton was the only contributor on those team i believe .. she was a 3b .

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

It is a number posted on OHSAA's website for each school. I will try to find the link. That number is specific to softball. Each sport has different numbers applied to each tier. I think in football a tier 2 athlete is 3 points not 5 like softball. They also only include the girls on the roster for competitive balance numbers...not girls in the entire school. So the 149 number is girls enrolled in school and then the 31 is only applied from the roster submitted to the state. The school is supplying the number/information to OHSAA.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Scrimmages tonight...
Eastern @ Southeastern
Valley @ Western

Flyer Fan 2019
Waterboy

Post by Flyer Fan 2019 »

Dont get the St Joe playing little league teams. With only 24 girls in the entire school we still continue to field competitive teams every year, we schedule South Point. Fairland. Manchester as well as whatever league teams that can fit us in. if uoure referring to playing Grace Christian they have a sophmore pitcher who would probably only rate behind Oliver and Schaffer in the SOC 1. While our numbers are not like some of the others we have several solid players including Malone who has played travel with Oliver the last 4 years and is solid at 3 positions and Holtzapfel is a solid left handed bat these are a good bunch of kids very well disciplined who battle every night who I dont believe deserve that criticism

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

Flyer Fan 2019 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:43 pm Dont get the St Joe playing little league teams. With only 24 girls in the entire school we still continue to field competitive teams every year, we schedule South Point. Fairland. Manchester as well as whatever league teams that can fit us in. if uoure referring to playing Grace Christian they have a sophmore pitcher who would probably only rate behind Oliver and Schaffer in the SOC 1. While our numbers are not like some of the others we have several solid players including Malone who has played travel with Oliver the last 4 years and is solid at 3 positions and Holtzapfel is a solid left handed bat these are a good bunch of kids very well disciplined who battle every night who I dont believe deserve that criticism
There are some very quality players on the Flyers for sure. Ranking them just behind Oliver and Schaffer might be a stretch though.
Unfortunately until St Joe has to play the Clays and Notre Dames out there like every other SOC1 school instead of hand picking what weaker teams to play,
the criticism will probaly stay.

Flyer Fan 2019
Waterboy

Post by Flyer Fan 2019 »

Never said their pitching was behind those two was talking about the girl from a grace Christian. As far as hand picking games after talking with their AD they pretty much take what they can get without the benefit of a league. I know they played Notre Dame 2 of the last 3 years on the sectionals and were very competitive. Clay and Notre Dame have very good programs and it makes no sense for them to schedule St Joe non conference with the way the bottom two thirds of the SOC 1 are pretty much guaranteed wins for them I'm sure their coaches prefer to play teams that will push them more. Not trying to push buttons just trying to get these kids some well deserved respect

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

Flyer Fan 2019 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 am Never said their pitching was behind those two was talking about the girl from a grace Christian. As far as hand picking games after talking with their AD they pretty much take what they can get without the benefit of a league. I know they played Notre Dame 2 of the last 3 years on the sectionals and were very competitive. Clay and Notre Dame have very good programs and it makes no sense for them to schedule St Joe non conference with the way the bottom two thirds of the SOC 1 are pretty much guaranteed wins for them I'm sure their coaches prefer to play teams that will push them more. Not trying to push buttons just trying to get these kids some well deserved respect
Oh I understand ya trust me. Few other schools outside of Clay and Notre Dame in the in the SOC1 get any props. This is an SOC1 post and a good part of it was still about Burg lol

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:54 am
Flyer Fan 2019 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 am Never said their pitching was behind those two was talking about the girl from a grace Christian. As far as hand picking games after talking with their AD they pretty much take what they can get without the benefit of a league. I know they played Notre Dame 2 of the last 3 years on the sectionals and were very competitive. Clay and Notre Dame have very good programs and it makes no sense for them to schedule St Joe non conference with the way the bottom two thirds of the SOC 1 are pretty much guaranteed wins for them I'm sure their coaches prefer to play teams that will push them more. Not trying to push buttons just trying to get these kids some well deserved respect
Oh I understand ya trust me. Few other schools outside of Clay and Notre Dame in the in the SOC1 get any props. This is an SOC1 post and a good part of it was still about Burg lol
Burg was mentioned 2-3 times and not by any burg fans

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

fbnut wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:22 pm
Burg was mentioned 2-3 times and not by any burg fans
That's a good point

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Post by StateTheFacts »

When other teams start winning or at least having a winning record then they will get the props by the general public. The only other team in SOC1 who has been successful over the years is SV so they would have a reason to complain. As to the St. Joe poster defending his school, there are other schools who love to schedule weaker teams like Sciotoville East so they can just get wins against a possible winless team for guarantee wins. St. Joe as long as you know you are scheduling quality teams, it doesn't matter what onlookers think. You know you are making them better and not just trying to put one in the win column, because you need to beat weaker teams. Being competitive with ND in sectionals the last few years just proves both of our points. Other SOC1 teams get mercy ruled by ND and Clay every time they play.

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Post by StateTheFacts »

Who is playing tomorrow and where to open the season in SOC1?

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

Hrmm St. Joe fan. Care to share the flyers 2018 schedule and this years also? We would love to see all these quality teams StateTheFacts says are scheduled.

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Post by StateTheFacts »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:57 pm Hrmm St. Joe fan. Care to share the flyers 2018 schedule and this years also? We would love to see all these quality teams StateTheFacts says are scheduled.
I believe they took Green to the wire in 2018 in the first tournament game only losing 10-9. I believe St. Joe is trying to build a program because I hear they only have around 20 in the whole HS. With those types of numbers, the coach can't afford to run off anyone who wants to play on the team nor play favorites that run off any experienced players.

Return to “Softball”