Top 10 players in SE Ohio...

PtownClown
Freshman Team

Re: Top 10 players in SE Ohio...

Post by PtownClown »

So you are telling me that there are girls from other schools in southern Ohio other than Wheelersburg despite their subpar coaches (other than Messer) who have received scholarships? It’s Miracle Linedrive!

Kentmurphy
Waterboy

Post by Kentmurphy »

PtownClown wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:25 pm So you are telling me that there are girls from other schools in southern Ohio other than Wheelersburg despite their subpar coaches (other than Messer) who have received scholarships? It’s Miracle Linedrive!
I could be wrong but I don’t think there’s alot of scholarships given out to HS players regardless of coaching talked to some D1 college coaches they didn’t care if they played HS ball or not especially pitchers
Personally I believe there’s alot of great players in southern Ohio and coaches also

PtownClown
Freshman Team

Post by PtownClown »

100% agree

linedrive
Freshman Team

Post by linedrive »

Totally agree that there are way better coaches out there vs the majority. Problem is, the schools/powers that be are not seeing that or just don't care. They are going to hire who they want for whatever reason. I'm throwing Webster/Messer out there because they seem to be the only ones in SOCII (other than Burg) willing to move their
program forward and yes, compared to the majority of coaches in SOCII, Messer is the "cats meow". As far as Webster having a losing season last year, that was his 1st season with them. They did in fact pull a "W" against a good Oak Hill squad. I don't use the word "talent" lightly and I have to disagree with the majority of the "talent" is not above the coaching. The majority of "the talent" exceeds the majority of the coaching knowledge which results in players being held back in their game. A lot of these players knowledge of the game are past that of the coaches'. I guess our views of a good, competitive, knowledgeable coach are on totally different levels so I'll just agree to disagree.

linedrive
Freshman Team

Post by linedrive »

Yes Ptown, that's exactly what I'm saying.
There are in fact other players other than Burg receiving scholarships to play softball but it's not because of the majority of high school coaches.

PtownClown
Freshman Team

Post by PtownClown »

To get back on the original topic I like south Webster’s catcher as well coach messer’s daughter...both nice players

PtownClown
Freshman Team

Post by PtownClown »

linedrive wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:21 pm Yes Ptown, that's exactly what I'm saying.
There are in fact other players other than Burg receiving scholarships to play softball but it's not because of the majority of high school coaches.
You proved my point. These girls get scholarships because they are talented and they produce on the field especially during the summer, has very little to do with who their coach is or isn't, there are no coaches in our area (that I'm aware of) who are super connected with college coaches, the girls that get scholarships are just good, Boo Sturgill and the girl from oak Hill were on college coaches radar well before HS because of their exposure and production during summer travel ball, their HS coach had nothing to do with that

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

Hughes is a great player and will be no matter what high school she plays for but a point i was trying to make earlier was that playing for a team like wheelersburg is only going to make a player better

sportsdude
Waterboy

Post by sportsdude »

Wow but can’t say I blame hughes for this move. Rumor has it she wasn’t happy in oak hill anyways? Wheelersburg got a great player and kid. Good luck!

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

back on topic?

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

captainmorgan_ wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:56 pm to get back on topic

-B. Sturgill (Wheelersburg) INF SO
-R. Hughes (wheelersburg) INF SO
-B. Wolfenbarker (Minford) OF JR
-H. Robertson (Waverly) P SR
-C. Brisker (Oak Hill) INF JR
-K.White (Fairfield) P SR
-S. Vassar (Clay) INF SR
-M. Pierce (Peebles) P SR
-A. Newman (NW) INF JR
-S. Spence (Wheelersburg) P JR
-S. Claxon (Wheelersburg) P JR
-M. Burton (Ironton) P JR
-L. Rice (NW) C SR
-L. Eller (Wheelersburg) INF SO
-C. Schaefer (ND) P JR

what freshmen should be added to this list?

Is the season about half over? How are the top players doing this season? Offensive stats? HRs? Pitching stats?

Kroeter
Riding the Bench

Post by Kroeter »

I'd like to see at least a couple from Sheridan on that list!

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

Vassar for Clay doing well this season. It will be tough to duplicate the season she had last year.

Don't have stats to back it up but just the eyeball test I would think Cassidy Wells and Megan Bazler would be leading the team offensively for Clay right now. But several of the girls are hitting the ball well including Warnock, Oliver and Vassar mentioned above.

sportsdude
Waterboy

Post by sportsdude »

also Taylor Evans from Jackson

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Ironton Freshman (P) Keegan Moore should be mentioned in this conversation.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

yes heard moore was a nice player. the topic is top 10 players. who are our true top 10s ? i think some stats and level of competition would help decide that if anyone could provide that.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:54 pm Ironton Freshman (P) Keegan Moore should be mentioned in this conversation.
Record (15-1) with 3 Saves -

her only loss was to PND 1-0 giving up 1 Run on 4 hits with 10 Strike Outs.

vs Coal Grove ------- Pitched a complete game Striking Out 14 of 15 Batters with 1 Walk - winning 11-1 in 5 Innings
vs Raceland, KY ---- Pitched a complete Game with 18 Strike outs of 21 at Bats and 3 Walks - winning 6-1
vs Rock Hill ---------- Pitched a 1 Hitter Striking Out 7 with 1 Walk - winning 10-0
vs Dixie Heights, KY - Pitched a no hitter Striking Out 15 winning 3-0
vs Russell, KY --------- Pitched 8 Innings in Relief, Struck out 12 and Walked 2 - Winning 5-4 in 11 Innings.
vs South Point -------- Pitched 2 Innings and Struck Out 5 - winning 10-3
vs Minford ------------- Got the Save Pitching 4 Innings in Relief, Struck out 6 giving up 1 hit - winning 5-4
vs South Charleston - Got the Save In Relief - struck out 4 of 4 Batters faced in the win 5-4
vs Spring valley ------ Pitched a complete game, Struck out 12 with 2 Walks - winning 4-1
vs Jackson ------------ Pitched a complete game and 2 Hitter while Striking Out 14 - winning 4-0
vs Gallia Academy --- Pitched a 4 Hitter with 8 Strike Outs and 1 Walk in 6 Innings - winning 14-4
vs Coal Grove -------- Pitched a complete game and a 2 Hitter with 8 Strike Outs - winning 15-0 in 5 Innings (She hit 2 HR's)
vs Portsmouth -------- Pitched complete game and a 1 Hitter with 12 Strike Outs in 5 Innings - Winning 11-0
vs South Point -------- Got the Save Pitching 2 Innings while Striking Out 5 - Winning 5-3
vs Rock Hill ----------- Pitched a 3 Hitter with 12 Strike Outs with no Walks, winning 1-0

vs Coal Grove -------- Got the win with 8 Strike Outs and no Walks, winning 10-3
vs Huntington ———— Pitched complete game Striking Out 18 no Walks while giving up 3 Hit - Winning 1-0
vs Westfall ------------ Pitched a 2 Hitter, Striking Out 10 while giving up only 2 Hits - Winning 10-0 in 5 Innings
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Sat May 18, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 13 times in total.

sportsfan2323
Waterboy

Post by sportsfan2323 »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:30 pm
ohbuckeye2 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:54 pm Ironton Freshman (P) Keegan Moore should be mentioned in this conversation.
Record (4-1) with 1 Save -

her only loss was to PND 1-0 giving up only 4 hits

vs Coal Grove ------- 5 innings - 14 Strike outs
vs Raceland, KY ---- 18 Strike out of 21 at Bats
vs Rock Hill ---------- threw a 1 Hitter Striking Out 7 winning 10-0
vs Dixie Heights, KY - threw a no hitter Striking Out 15 winning 3-0
vs Russell, KY --------- Struck out 12 in Relief in 5-4 win in 11 Innings.
vs South Point -------- Pitched 2 Innings and Struck Out 5

That's just some of the Stats I've found so far, still searching for more.

According to newspaper

Minford- can in struck out 8 1 hit and ironton. Came back and won

South Charleston-came in Relief struck out 4 in a row ironton won. Then pitched the next game against spring valley

Spring valley- pitches struck out 10 and ironto won 4-1. Spring valley beat wheelersburg 5-1

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Don’t have her season at bat stats but Waverly’s Zoiee Smith (Sophomore) went 4-5 from the plate with 2 HR’s, one being a three run blast in the 5th inning that saw the lady Tigers erase a 9-3 deficit to take an 11-9 lead and eventually winning 12-11 in the bottom of the 7th over a very good Minford squad.
Smith lead off the bottom of the 7th of a tied game with her 4th hit if the game, a single to left field. She would eventually cross the plate with the game winning run on a walk off single by Hannah Robinson. Hailey Robinson also with 2 HR’s.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

captainmorgan_ wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:59 pm yes heard moore was a nice player. the topic is top 10 players. who are our true top 10s ? i think some stats and level of competition would help decide that if anyone could provide that.
Burg is playing a tough schedule. Beat Hurricane (won last 5 of 6 class AAA WV state championships). Lost to a high ranked team in KY, Woodford county, (Burg had the lead most of the game.) Beat John S. Battle (ranked team in VA). Not sure of rankings of those last two teams, this is just what I was told.
Last edited by longball on Thu May 30, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Softball”