Question

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Question

Post by StateTheFacts »

What stats does your coach of your child's team keep other than batting averages and pitching stats?

Browns30
JV Team

Re: Question

Post by Browns30 »

Game changer is the best and most accurate way to keep stats. It keeps a play by play of each game and tallies up any stat you can possibly think of. Main reason I like it is that it does the stats for you so there's really no errors in stats and no way a players batting average or ERA, for example, can be changed at the end of the season. But to answer your question, I have no idea what stats the coach uses, if any.

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Post by StateTheFacts »

I have seen people refer to Game Changer sometimes in social media posts and threads. The problem with stats is that it depends on the person scoring the game to get these stats. I think OHSAA should come up with some sort of stat keeper that both teams have to confirm after the game. I believe if both teams had to confirm the stats then it would be a lot more reliable. I just know I read of award and stats in various threads and would like to know what teams really use across the region.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

That's why I mentioned the play by play on game changer. You can't really reward a player with a hit when they got out because it's going to mess the entire game and scoring up. That's why I feel like game changer is the most fair and accurate way to keep stats. All teams should use it and it would be the easiest way to compare.
But I agree with you, especially If they are going to use these stats for post season awards, that way it is fair.

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Post by StateTheFacts »

Browns30 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:02 am That's why I mentioned the play by play on game changer. You can't really reward a player with a hit when they got out because it's going to mess the entire game and scoring up. That's why I feel like game changer is the most fair and accurate way to keep stats. All teams should use it and it would be the easiest way to compare.
But I agree with you, especially If they are going to use these stats for post season awards, that way it is fair.
Gamechanger can be edited by the admin who is usually the coach. I would trust it more if the AD had the admin rights and also if it was done in while the game is taking place. I have seen it done at the field and then I have seen it put in after the game by the coach. I have witnessed so many accounts of padding stats to ensure certain players have the best averages.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

I don't think you can edit averages in game changer, but if all teams would use it, it would be easy to compare. If there was a discrepancy it could be questioned.

BobcatBall
Freshman Team

Post by BobcatBall »

GameChanger is good. We also use MaxPreps which allows you to upload your GameChanger stats on it. But the thing i believe with Max Preps is if one score keeper logs something as a hit and the other logs it as reached on error, then it notates that there is a discrepancy there.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Any questions about stats just ask the dad . Problem solved :)

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Post by StateTheFacts »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:05 pm Any questions about stats just ask the dad . Problem solved :)
Definitely would solve the problem but the dad is also the coach! It is hard to question it if he is on the field doing the scoring in the book. The stats are later put in game changer so we can't see it in real time.

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Post by StateTheFacts »

BobcatBall wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:22 pm GameChanger is good. We also use MaxPreps which allows you to upload your GameChanger stats on it. But the thing i believe with Max Preps is if one score keeper logs something as a hit and the other logs it as reached on error, then it notates that there is a discrepancy there.
I wasn't aware of Maxpreps so I will have to check that out! Thanks!

PeaceKeeper
Waterboy

Post by PeaceKeeper »

This is comical and ridiculous. If you think the gamechanger stats are manipulated then you aren’t going to the games or paying attention. The coaches for the team you are referring to don’t care who leads the stats. They care who wins.

Gopher
Varsity

Post by Gopher »

Whether stats are kept manually in a book or electronically, they are still subject to the interpretation of the person entering them. Just because they are electronic does not indicate that they are accurate. This is why stats are not important. Watch a game and you can pick out the difference makers without having to know their stats.

sportsdude
Waterboy

Post by sportsdude »

Browns30 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:46 pm I don't think you can edit averages in game changer, but if all teams would use it, it would be easy to compare. If there was a discrepancy it could be questioned.
i can agree with this. have a method like gameschanger every school can use and teams can compare stats after games to be sure they match up. everyone has a smart phone or tablet now-a-days and i think its very easy

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Guest what .. just guess . IF paps is keeping the game changer .. game changer might not be correct !! LOL

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

I've seen.end of season stats so ridiculous that the coach had to make a no players parents will keep book any longer lol. Good players will shine and get noticed just by playing,stats are great but don't tell the whole story imo.

BackroadHero
Waterboy

Post by BackroadHero »

Softball is a weird sport to me. There's such a strange fear of acknowledging some players but yet over praising ones only based on hearsay and rumors about ability.
I watched both all star games last year. I'll tell you right now some of the names on the other threads list didn't impress while some of the names not on it did.

An a ideal world no parents would keep stats, coach or do anything other than a support players and coaches. But in a area of small schools and lack of QUALIFIED non parent coaches you take what is the next best option. A lot of times its an eager parent wanting to help. Believe it or not they usually do a good job. Even if it's just for the short term a good parent coach gives 4 Years of stability that most of these programs wouldn't have.

Parent coaches and book keepers happen in EVERY sport in this area. But yet when I click on FOOTBALL, BASKETBALL, GIRLS BASKETBALL, VOLLEYBALL, BASEBALL there's not one other thread I can find like some of the more recent ones on here.

My point is this entire Softball Thread has become way off topic the last couple months or so. Please stop the coach, player, parent bashing as its making this entire thread look the daddyball and cry baby parents meeting grounds. Let's get back to talking up programs and kids instead of saying "nut uh"

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

BackroadHero wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:00 am Softball is a weird sport to me. There's such a strange fear of acknowledging some players but yet over praising ones only based on hearsay and rumors about ability.
I watched both all star games last year. I'll tell you right now some of the names on the other threads list didn't impress while some of the names not on it did.
Yes very weird, do coaches not even watch their own games???? Some are blinded by "hearsay about abilities"... Why do we suppose this happens?

BackroadHero wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:00 am
My point is this entire Softball Thread has become way off topic the last couple months or so. Please stop the coach, player, parent bashing as its making this entire thread look the daddyball and cry baby parents meeting grounds. Let's get back to talking up programs and kids instead of saying "nut uh"
Everyone is too afraid to talk up kids or programs because the wrong person gets their feelings hurt. On the other hand, I have no problem with people posting about issues but that also gets you in trouble. No one is allowed to have an opinion so no one has anything to say.

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Post by StateTheFacts »

Browns30 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:22 pm
BackroadHero wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:00 am Softball is a weird sport to me. There's such a strange fear of acknowledging some players but yet over praising ones only based on hearsay and rumors about ability.
Yes very weird, do coaches not even watch their own games???? Some are blinded by "hearsay about abilities"... Why do we suppose this happens?

BackroadHero wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:00 am

Everyone is too afraid to talk up kids or programs because the wrong person gets their feelings hurt. On the other hand, I have no problem with people posting about issues but that also gets you in trouble. No one is allowed to have an opinion so no one has anything to say.
Yes, I think many people forget that this is a tread to talk about sports with the forum being called softball. They often create one or more profiles in some cases and then create another when the thread isn't going the way they want it to occur. Everyone can click on the right to see how many posts that anyone has posted and see which accounts are new. I only have one account and will always just have one account.The whole point of the conversation is that the successful programs in the area have had coaches for 10, 20, or even 30 years and they are small schools. Clay had Coach Ruby since the early 90's who built that program granted we know she left for a larger Wheelersburg program a few years back but that program is still benefiting from her growing it. SV has had Coach Estep since forever also and is still there without ever having a kid on the team. I personally don't think a parent should be allowed to have a hand in the coaching of their kid at this level, but hey we all have our opinions. I understand that some may be very well qualified for the job, but you have to be able to do so without your rose-colored glasses on and be in it for the long term. Build the program coaches proclaim you are there for and then we know your intentions are generally true. Go down this summer and coach a little league softball team and devote hours without any ties to build the program. I can tell you that it won't happen but pound your chest to say I had a clinic for younger ones for one day or two. The athletes on the district or state teams are voted on just by a wide range of coaches and not just ones from the good buddy system so I would say they are some of the best the state or district has to offer. Sorry if those votes couldn't be influenced.

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Post by StateTheFacts »

beaverlover wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:44 am I've seen.end of season stats so ridiculous that the coach had to make a no players parents will keep book any longer lol. Good players will shine and get noticed just by playing,stats are great but don't tell the whole story imo.
My point exactly!

Return to “Softball”