Best Programs in Southeastern Ohio

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Best Programs in Southeastern Ohio

Post by wowhesfast »

What is the best program as far as wins, facilities, coaching, class, fan support?

I might be a little biased, but I would have to say that Logan is on top. League Championships, average 8.2 wins a season over last 5 years, multi million dollar facilities (weight room is a little lacking right now, but I've heard there is a field house in the works), a living legend coach and excellent staff, a reputation for class and hospitality and thousands of enthusiastic fans at every game, a great program.

I think Nelsonville is up there as well. Lots of Conference championships, strong facilities including a great weightroom, the son of a legendary coach, class might be a little lacking, but fan support that is probably just as strong as Logan's.

Incognito
Varsity

Re: Best Programs in Southeastern Ohio

Post by Incognito »

Ironton, Burg and Portsmouth. With some other schools on the rise

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Golly Gee! Logan sure is good. They sure do a great job in that hillbilly league they win most years. Warren Local, Marietta, and Athens sure make for state level competition. Logan needs to step up and play in a league more befitting their demographics. I am sure a league in Columbus would be glad to stomp them each and every year but we will never know because they will never join. :lol:

PurplePower
Freshman Team

Post by PurplePower »

Easy there Howie! There are some of us in the Logan community who would like to see some changes at LHS. The biggest one being getting into a more competitive league. Personally, I would like to see us in the MVL.

Logan vs. Sheridan
Logan vs. New Lex

These would be awesome MVL title games!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

wowhesfast wrote:What is the best program as far as wins, facilities, coaching, class, fan support?

I might be a little biased, but I would have to say that Logan is on top. League Championships, average 8.2 wins a season over last 5 years, multi million dollar facilities (weight room is a little lacking right now, but I've heard there is a field house in the works), a living legend coach and excellent staff, a reputation for class and hospitality and thousands of enthusiastic fans at every game, a great program.

I think Nelsonville is up there as well. Lots of Conference championships, strong facilities including a great weightroom, the son of a legendary coach, class might be a little lacking, but fan support that is probably just as strong as Logan's.

Class might be a little lacking?? :lol: :lol: At least we don't have soccor lines on our field. Don't forget that little state championship we won. We have the best Facilities in the Area.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

is it soccer or soccor? hee hee.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

I think that West is well on their way to becoming a good program again, and challenging for the Soc every year. Remember before 1991 our record against the Burg was 17-14-2, with us in the lead, I think that West/Burg will game be competitive every year (and possibly deciding the Soc every year), unlike how it as been in previous years (with the exception of this year). I also think Minford is building a good program, but they have to beat the three W's constitently and keep up the playoff appearances to become a top program.

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

Orange and Brown wrote:
wowhesfast wrote:What is the best program as far as wins, facilities, coaching, class, fan support?

Class might be a little lacking?? :lol: :lol: At least we don't have soccor lines on our field. Don't forget that little state championship we won. We have the best Facilities in the Area.

Yeah the soccer lines say that we actually care about another fall sport. It's a progression that a lot of schools are making including many of the largest and best schools in the state. I'm not a huge fan of Soccer, but all the kids deserve a degree of respect for their achievements. Just because most soccer players are communists doesn't mean we should hate them. A lot. :twisted: :twisted: :shock:

And yes i do think that there is a lack of class at Nelsonville. I heard a story that when y'all played Vinton last year you made the vinton box coaches sit in the stands. That's a lack of class. You aren't very cordial to the rest of the TVC and that is why most of them have a strong dislike for you. We at Logan have some good relationships with the fans and players at all the other schools in the league. that's why they are always wishing us luck on preps.

Nelsonville's facilities aren't as good as Logan's because the place is built on top of a waste plant. Our stadium could hold everyone in Logan with room to spare. You guys have a nicer weight room, and i can't speak for your locker room, but i doubt it beats Logan's.

I agree that Logan needs to get into a better league. We're not the only school. Personally, i think for the sake of geographical proximity and strong competition that schools from the southside like Chilli, Circleville, the Picktown schools Logan and Canal, with a few others mixed in? All the time, Logan is less like Appalachia and more like central Ohio anyways, so the move is only a matter of time.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

wowhesfast wrote:Nelsonville's facilities aren't as good as Logan's because the place is built on top of a waste plant.

What do you mean it's built on top of a waste plant? There never was anything there before the school complex was built. It was just a grassy field.

NY has some of the best facilities in the state now, as does Logan. Logan might have more seats in the stands, but that is because Logan is five times as large a school district as Nelsonville-York. NY has 2,500 seats in the stadium, so if Logan was on par with NY in terms of stadium seats per student enrolled, it would need to have approximately 12,500 seats.

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

My list would go

1) Ironton
2) Wheelersburg
2) Nelsonville-York
2) Crooksville

I'm using one big requirement to rank them as best programs, they all have a state championship after the playoff system was created. Ironton's ranked first because they have two titles. Very close behind those four would be New Lexington, and Portsmouth Notre Dame who both won multiple championships when the state title came down to a vote of the writers.

To me you can have very good programs but you have to win that last playoff game to be considered in the Best Program category.

91Buckeye
Varsity

Post by 91Buckeye »

wowhesfast,"And yes i do think that there is a lack of class at Nelsonville. I heard a story that when y'all played Vinton last year you made the vinton box coaches sit in the stands. That's a lack of class. You aren't very cordial to the rest of the TVC and that is why most of them have a strong dislike for you."

First off the game with Vinton County was played in McArthur last year. As far as being cordial to the rest of the TVC, the boosters have been feeding the players from other schools after the games since at least 1987 I can say with certainty, something that some other TVC schools now do. You obviously are an avid Chiefs fan and could probably not speak accurately about what happens at NY's games just as I couldn't say what happens at Logan's games. In the future I would take the time to see for myself what happens at a schools games before I quote rumors and start slapping that righteous paintbrush around.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

I am a Logan grad and I think NY has a much better program as a hole. NY has had 3 coaches in its history and all three have had great success. Ny has tons of class. They treat the other teams and there fans very very good. I am so sick of people who think that if you are not for Logan than you aren't S***. I happen to think Logan has a great program with a great history, but to say things that are simply not true to make a point is awful. Ny was beating Logan pretty regulerly when coach Amyx pulled the plug on the series.Yes we made the VC coaches sit in there own stands instead of there own press box. Let me know how we pulled that one off. We extend every curtisy to the visiting coaches. I am sorry our school is not as big as yours. I am very happy that you can fit every one in Logan inside your stadiom. Thank you for your thoughtful insight. I see the light now, Logan is the greatest of all time.(All hail Logan and there mighty football machine.)
Better get your facts straight next time!!!!!!

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I agree with War pig ,Although I am not sure about Crooksville being that high although they are a good program.
1.Ironton
2.Nelsonville York
2. Wheelersburg
All State Champions
3 Portsmouth West (State Runner up)
The rest of the area has no argument until they get the rings to back it up. :idea:

bluetraveler
Riding the Bench

Post by bluetraveler »

Over all IMO I would go with Wheelersburg as the best.I-town and NY would be the next 3 picks.
I'm sure Purplepower would love to see Logan In the MVL,but would do nothing to improve the perciption of Logan only playing smaller schools.Only one school in MVL is close to the size of Logan(Tri-Valley) the rest are DIII and D IV schools.I'm sure however that Sheridan(DIII) would give Logan all they could handle most years, and we know what happened last time Logan played Tri-Valley.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

It's hard to argue with Wheelersburg being the best all around sports program in our part of the state. look at what they do in ALL sports. pretty impressive.

As for football, Logan is the best team in our part of the state right now. Of course, they well should be. I dont know if I would say that if they were playing a schedule/league of their peers. That being said, they do beat the teams on their schedule consistently the past 5 years or so. They have a nice stadium, but when ironton played there it was too dusty and the construction was not complete.

I am super im pressed with nelsonville's facility as well as Jackson's.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

PURPLEPOWER wrote:Easy there Howie! There are some of us in the Logan community who would like to see some changes at LHS. The biggest one being getting into a more competitive league. Personally, I would like to see us in the MVL.

Logan vs. Sheridan
Logan vs. New Lex

It would be more competitive for Logan but the MVL seems happy with the way things are now, so good luck gettin in. :122245 :122245 :122245

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

Let me qualify my waste plant statement. I meant that the Buchtel stadium just smells bad or at least it did the last game i was down there, probably four years ago now. At every game Ive been to at Boston, the smell has been very strong, and one year at the Logan-Nelsonville game, I was compelled to leave a very good game early because the smell was very overcoming. I've heard other people complain about it to.

I'm sorry I was mistaken about the date of the Vinton County incident, but a few friends that i have in McArthur assure me that this episode did in fact happen.

Understand that I like Nelsonville, or else i would not have listed you guys as my second best program in my opening post. You guys have a great program and honestly, you have a much better history than Logan does.

I would agree that wheelersburg is in the top five. Sheridan and New Lex always impress me. As a Logan fan, i would dread going back to the days where we played New Lex every year. I'm not sure what our record vs. New Lex was, but it wasn't as good as it should be.

I would remind everyone that Logan scrimmages Sheridan every year. It's always a good game, but i think most years Logan comes out on top. I think coach Amyx would tell you that you can't get a better scrimmage a week before Lancaster.
Last edited by wowhesfast on Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

1.Ironton is no doubt the measuring stick in this area as in terms of successful programs.
With 2 state titles 4 state runner up and 26 total playoff appearances no one else is even close in terms of long term success. Also a 58 straight games without a loss from 1977-1983. Not to mention Bob Lutz who will one day be the winningest coach in the state.

2 Wheelersburg has one State title with 21 playoff trips, also countless SOC titles. The Pirates reload every year and always get everyone’s best shot. Every team gets up to play the Pirates.

3. Portsmouth the Trojans have 2 state semi final appearances and 9 total playoff trips. The Trojans have had 512 victories which is 29th best in the state. The Trojans have had a long history of success dating all the way back to 1903, and are problem the only team in southern Ohio to that has played Ironton more then 10 times and have a wining record, maybe in the whole state. The Trojans also have one of the better records against the # 2 team then most, although it is less the .500.

4. Notre Dame the Titians have fallen on hard times but are on their way back , and few would doubt the dominance they had in the 60s and the overall success of the program.

5. Nelsonville York - Has a State title, that’s good enough for 5th, I don't know much about the Buckeyes but I do know few others in this part of the state that have a title.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Orange and Brown wrote:
PURPLEPOWER wrote:Easy there Howie! There are some of us in the Logan community who would like to see some changes at LHS. The biggest one being getting into a more competitive league. Personally, I would like to see us in the MVL.

Logan vs. Sheridan
Logan vs. New Lex

It would be more competitive for Logan but the MVL seems happy with the way things are now, so good luck gettin in. :122245 :122245 :122245

Will never happen. I'd like to see it from a purely selfish point of view (I live in MVL territory). But i really think Logan's future lies more to the northwest. They really need to get out of the SEOAL. They have simply outgrown it.

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

It's Ironton. There isn't any debate. 2 state titles, soon-to-be all time winningest coach. Awesome stability. Awesome tradition. Excellent players. Dreaded facilities.

Return to “Football”