Best Programs in Southeastern Ohio

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Re: Best Programs in Southeastern Ohio

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

All the ones mentioned have or have had very strong programs. If going on some of what has happened in the past you have to add Miami Trace. In the 70's a 44 game winning streak, teams averaging over 60 points a game, and three straight high school All Americans.

But of course I am prejudice, just like the majority of people on sites such as this :mrgreen:

piratepride05
Freshman Team

Post by piratepride05 »

WHSwarrior wrote:It's Ironton. There isn't any debate. 2 state titles, soon-to-be all time winningest coach. Awesome stability. Awesome tradition. Excellent players. Dreaded facilities.

Agreed.

Then Wheelersburg and Logan tied for second.
Then NY and West.

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

In all time best program, it's Ironton hands down, with probably Nelsonville, New Lex and all the other folks who have won state titles right behind. That's the biggest measuring stick there is for football. If you want to talk last 10 years, you gotta go New Lex, Logan, Wheelersburg, Nelsonville, West. Last five years, Logan, New Lex, West, Wheelersburg.

To my Miami Trace friend, your school is west of Washington Court House. Most people consider route 23 to be the dividing line between south east and south west Ohio, and Trace is no where near that line. You do make a valid point, you always have a strong program.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

So if you've had a state title in the past 100 years that automatically makes you eligable to be in the top programs list? I assumed when i first read the thread that it meant best programs in SEO RIGHT NOW, not since 1776. Wasnt Portsmouth good once or something? Nobody has mentioned them. Yeah, they havent been good for a long time, but neither has Ironton and they are at the top of the list for best program for most poeple. I wouldnt say a program is the best program because they have a state title from 25 years ago considering the only place where things are the same (except for the winning part) is at Ironton.

Just another way to give people a chance to give SOME kind of reason as to why they are better than Logan. :lol:

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

The no brainer #1 is Ironton. Then I think you got to look at teams like Wheelersburg, Nelsonville-York, Portsmouth. After that I think the fields wide open. When you talk of best programs its not in a 5 or 10 year span its over the span of many decades. Thats why Ironton is #1. Then you got these other teams these four teams get it done and have gotten it done for years.

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

I would remind everyone that Logan scrimmages Sheridan every year. It's always a good game, but i think most years Logan comes out on top. I think coach Amyx would tell you that you can't get a better scrimmage a week before Lancaster.

A Scrimmage is not a game and cannot be compared to game. Also, from what i have heard, Sheridan has won 3 of the last 4 scrimmages. Not that it really matters. I would love to see Logan in the MVL along with Zanesville.

tl895
Varsity

Post by tl895 »

logan would be on top of the great underachievers list outside league play :shock:

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

grizzlynatural wrote:So if you've had a state title in the past 100 years that automatically makes you eligable to be in the top programs list? I assumed when i first read the thread that it meant best programs in SEO RIGHT NOW, not since 1776. Wasnt Portsmouth good once or something? Nobody has mentioned them. Yeah, they havent been good for a long time, but neither has Ironton and they are at the top of the list for best program for most poeple. I wouldnt say a program is the best program because they have a state title from 25 years ago considering the only place where things are the same (except for the winning part) is at Ironton.

Just another way to give people a chance to give SOME kind of reason as to why they are better than Logan. :lol:

Havn't been good in a long time hmmm. Have you compared Logans record with Irontons since 2000. The wins and losses are pretty comparable with the exception of when it comes playoff time.

Here's some actuall facts for you, not just blowing smoke.

IRONTON
2000's..........Regular Season 69-20......Playoffs 9-8......Overall 78-28
LOGAN
2000's..........Regular Season 72-18......Playoffs 3-5......Overall 75-23

IRONTON
Playoffs 8 of the 9 years record 9-8
LOGAN
Playoffs 5 OF 9 years record 3-5

IRONTON
Past the 1st round 7 of the 9 years
LOGAN
Past the first round 2 of the 5 years

IRONTON
2000 Made it to the Regional Final and lost to Newark Licking Valley 7 10
2001 Made it to the Regional Semi Final lost to Portsmouth 27 35
2002 Made it to the Regional Semi Final lost to Portsmouth 20-35
2003 Made it to the Regional Semi Final lost to Bellaire 14-20
2004 Made it to the Regional Semi Final lost to New Albany 0-10
2005 Made it to the Regional Final and lost to Bellaire 28-34 3OT
2006 Lost to Westfall first round 35-42
2007 Did not make the Playoffs
2008 Made it to the Regional Semi Final lost to New Lexington 6-38

LOGAN
2000 Made it to the Regional Finals lost to Upper Arlington 13-45
2001 Lost to Dublin Coffman first round 14-20
2002 Did not make the playoffs
2003 Did not make the playoffs
2004 Did not make the playoffs
2005 Did not make the playoffs
2006 Lost to Hilliard Davidson first round 8-38
2007 Lost to Tri-Valley first round 26-31
2008 Made it to the Regional Semi Final lost to Louisville 0-7

SEOAL League Champs
Ironton 0 for 3
Logan 7 for 9

So do you still think IRONTON hasn't been any good for a long time?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

My top 5

1. Ironton
2. Wheelersburg
3. Nelsonville-York
4. Portsmouth
5. Logan

meatswinger
JV Team

Post by meatswinger »

I think the Southern Tornadoes are right up there as far as up and coming programs go. They have cutting edge strength training going on there with the implementation of cattleball training. In 10 years, they will be the standard by which all are measured.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

You could make as good an argument for the burg as anyone mentioned. Football program has been near the top since the early 70's with a state championship. In bball they have been one of the top 2 programs along with phs in southern ohio since the early 70's. 2 state runner ups and a couple other final 4's. The argument could be made they have had the best baseball program in southern ohio since the late 80's, with a state championship many deep tourney runs.

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

grizzlynatural wrote:So if you've had a state title in the past 100 years that automatically makes you eligable to be in the top programs list? I assumed when i first read the thread that it meant best programs in SEO RIGHT NOW, not since 1776. Wasnt Portsmouth good once or something? Nobody has mentioned them. Yeah, they havent been good for a long time, but neither has Ironton and they are at the top of the list for best program for most poeple. I wouldnt say a program is the best program because they have a state title from 25 years ago considering the only place where things are the same (except for the winning part) is at Ironton.

That is what i really meant when i started this topic. But what is a topic but a catalyst for conversation? Right now Logan is the best program. In the same way that Ohio State is the best Big Ten team, even though Michigan probably has a better history.

Philos_Finest wrote:
I would remind everyone that Logan scrimmages Sheridan every year. It's always a good game, but i think most years Logan comes out on top. I think coach Amyx would tell you that you can't get a better scrimmage a week before Lancaster.

A Scrimmage is not a game and cannot be compared to game. Also, from what i have heard, Sheridan has won 3 of the last 4 scrimmages. Not that it really matters. I would love to see Logan in the MVL along with Zanesville.

It's as close to a game as you can get without actually playing a game. A scrimmage is a lot better measuring stick than all the speculating done on Preps and elsewhere 24/7. I know a scrimmage is the two teams lining up against each other, and when the starters go out, which ever team is on top, is the winner. Logan, I think has won the scrimmage three out of the last four years. They lost prior to the 06 season but that was it.

I played back in my day, and remember not being as emotionally pumped during the game. I was more pumped that I had a day off of two a days, and that i got to show somebody what i was gonna do that season. There was an emotional team connection, but it isn't anything like a game.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I think that scrimages are a way for coaches to gage how there team is doing not the fans. As far as people bashing Logan goes. Every time a Logan fan posts something on here it basicly says were better than you are and if you don't like it you can kiss our purple butts.
I along with many other people think Logan is a great program, but some of the fans make it hard for any one else to care.
How about that what does the SEAOL stand for Topic that some one put up. (thank god it got taken down) Its things like that that make it hard to think or say positive things about the Cheifs.
Some posters just need to grow up!!! I know that a time or two I have said things that were not kosher but I have went back and said hey I am sorry that wasn't right.
I guess if your a kid I wouldn't expect you to act grown up, but there are plenty of adualts on here who act like children.
Here are a few tips to use before posting.
1. Is what I am about to post the truth?
2. Is this something that I would say to anyone in person?
3. In posting this am I doing it to make some one mad.
I got more but hey we just need to use common sense.
:122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

I would agree with you, a lot of people from Logan who post are really immature about how they do it. I know a lot of them wouldn't act that way if they didn't always feel like their school is under attack. But we got these people like Cossell who just come out of the blue to lampoon us, we feel like we are under attack. We are always on the defensive, and it is always about one subject; that we don't have the right level of competition.

The scrimmage is the place where everyone gets there first look at how the team is looking. The Logan Daily reports on our scrimmages. More than a thousand people always come out. Everyone who sees the scrimmage can start to see how the team is shaping up. If Logan gets smoked by Circleville and Sheridan, the coaches and the community will see that another league championship and a strong playoff appearance aren't in the works. If we have strong showings, the community will get behind the team. The best way to judge anything is to see it in action.

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

I'd say Burg, West, Ironton and East. They have a great coaching staff and have a lot of fan support behind them. Plus they bring home the wins.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

What program in Southern Ohio can boast that, 26 out of every 37 boys has gotten to play in a playoff game and 1 out of ever 4.6 boys has gotten an opportunity to play in a state championship game?

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Westfall isn't the best, but they have a good program.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

tigercannon71 wrote:The no brainer #1 is Ironton. Then I think you got to look at teams like Wheelersburg, Nelsonville-York, Portsmouth. After that I think the fields wide open. When you talk of best programs its not in a 5 or 10 year span its over the span of many decades. Thats why Ironton is #1. Then you got these other teams these four teams get it done and have gotten it done for years.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love it. You just CANNOT say something good about Logan.

You should do everyone a favor and go get you a mask so theres less of a risk of you spreading C.E.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

Ironton used to be sweet. What a great program they used to have.

Too bad they'll never beat Logan again :lol:

You guys could redeem yourselves with the purple faithful with a dub over us this year BUT.....

Thats not going to happen. Dont let the door hit ya :lol:

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

dazed&confused wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:
PURPLEPOWER wrote:Easy there Howie! There are some of us in the Logan community who would like to see some changes at LHS. The biggest one being getting into a more competitive league. Personally, I would like to see us in the MVL.

Logan vs. Sheridan
Logan vs. New Lex

These would be awesome MVL title games!

It would be more competitive for Logan but the MVL seems happy with the way things are now, so good luck gettin in. :122245 :122245 :122245

Will never happen. I'd like to see it from a purely selfish point of view (I live in MVL territory). But i really think Logan's future lies more to the northwest. They really need to get out of the SEOAL. They have simply outgrown it.

the MSL would be nice.

Return to “Football”