Best Programs in Southeastern Ohio

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Re: Best Programs in Southeastern Ohio

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

OHbuckeye1 wrote:
55Buckeyes98 wrote:On a smaller scale Nelsonville-York and probably Wheelersburg have to be in the debate with Ironton as the top 3 overall. No one has been more consistent than NY, 'Burg, and Ironton. When I was in school a little DIV (almost DV) beat Logan (DI at the time) 3 out of the 4 years I was there. Then after I graduated NY went to DV. Logan definitely has turned it around since the Conrad boys went through (who both played youth league football at NY). Other than that schools like Jackson, Portsmouth West, Trimble & some others have had their years, but I am not sure of the consistency.

How many 4-6 or worse records have each schools had in their history? I know since Nelsonville-York consolidated they have only had one 4-6 record since 1970ish (2000 I think) and one or two 5-5 seasons. Now that's pretty impressive. I have a personal bias against Ironton because of the allegations that they used to recruit WV to go to Ironton during a lot of those successful years. I know Wheelersburg has a ton of league titles (as does NY) and playoff appearances.

I can't recall anyone coming from West Virginia to play football at Ironton and I went to school during those hay days 78-81 football seasons. Anyhow, I agree with your top 3 as far as being consistant over the long haul.

Hey that's why I put allegations... I was in high school and that was the "reputation" that in the 80's/90s that kids from WV would move in to play and maybe bitter people just made up rumors that recruiting was going on... I do not know any truth to it, just clarifying why my opinion is biased.

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

How long do these schools have to be good to be considered a top program?

Coal Grove was very good for a long time.

Chesapeake was very good from 1996-2005 (7 OVC titles, 7 playoff appearances, 1 undefeated regular season, 1 regional finals appearance).

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

wowhesfast wrote:I, for the most part agree with you, except that Chillicothe is different than Logan in a lot of ways. Yes, Chillicothe was a weak member of the OCC, but (not to insult anyone at Chilli) they have proven to be only a slightly above average (overall) SEOAL athletic program. Logan is one of the best teams in almost every sport, a tiny bit better than Chilli, and unlike Chilli, the school district is growing at a very fast rate. Logan, as of right now, would compete in football, Girls Bball, Boys track, Soccer, Wrestling, Bowling, and softball. They would be competent in baseball, boys bball, Girls soccer and track.

I think the big problem Logan would have in the OCC is as far as distance and the costs that come with traveling. Chillicothe had this same problem. For Logan, it would probably mean traveling shorter distances than they do now, but the OCC schools probably dont want to take an hour fifteen trip when most of their trips are twenty minutes.
The two areas are still too different

From what I've heard over the years is the OCC doesn't want Logan in there league. They don't want Pick-town, Lancaster or any other team from outside of 270 in the OCC. Traveling distance is the big problem. And with Logan being a very small D1/ large D2, we would be in the same boat as Chilli was.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Burg

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

mattash wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:10 pmBurg
Kind of fun reviewing topics started some nine years ago, and Wheelersburg still tops the list as most dominant in southeast Ohio. Everyone mentioned above except the Burg have had moments of hard times in the interim. What is amazing is that the Pirate's program has been consistently strong since the days of Ed Miller and going back further to 1965. I believe the Burg has had only one losing season since the were 0-10 in 1964.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels

Return to “Football”