Pitch Count Is Here!!!

Fonzie
S

Re: Pitch Count Is Here!!!

Post by Fonzie »

Yeah where it will slow the game is coaches making a pitching change mid inning to keep their kid from the next day of rest tear.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

crashdavis188 wrote:This rule will really make scheduling JV games hard. I think if a kid can pitch, he will be needed at the varsity level. JV games could get ugly. It will be a learning year. Goodluck coaches.
Lol, most JV games are already ugly...but yes this could make it even worse.

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

My son threw and won a complete game (2-1) on 87 pitches. Pound the strike zone!!!

BiddyBallDaddy
Freshman Team

Post by BiddyBallDaddy »

Are people complaining or worrying about pitch count set at 125? Kids throwing that many pitches in a game would have me more worried which hospital we were visiting down the road if that continues to happen.

This rule and the 10 in 7 days rule is very similar.

Now what concerns me is how/who they/is are going to keep track of this... Some schools I've seen have parents keeping the book. Will it be up to the "official" book keeper which would be the home team, or will it be an honors system? I've seen where some said they will report the pitches after the game... but who do they report to and how do you prove that someone did or didn't pitch that many pitches?

I'll say it now, this will be all over the map when it comes to policing it all. Good luck to coaches, as if the season isn't stressful enough.

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

BiddyBallDaddy wrote:Are people complaining or worrying about pitch count set at 125? Kids throwing that many pitches in a game would have me more worried which hospital we were visiting down the road if that continues to happen.

This rule and the 10 in 7 days rule is very similar.

Now what concerns me is how/who they/is are going to keep track of this... Some schools I've seen have parents keeping the book. Will it be up to the "official" book keeper which would be the home team, or will it be an honors system? I've seen where some said they will report the pitches after the game... but who do they report to and how do you prove that someone did or didn't pitch that many pitches?

I'll say it now, this will be all over the map when it comes to policing it all. Good luck to coaches, as if the season isn't stressful enough.
I'd say an idea would be for the field ump to have a counter and report after every half inning to both coaches and at the end of the game sign the books.

I don't think many coaches would even allow a pitcher to throw 125 pitches in a game.

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

I don't think the problem will be keeping a pitcher under 125...Almost every coach keeps it to around 100 anyway. I think the problem ensues when you had a player throw 76 pitches on Monday and they are done until Friday. Even if you need one inning from him on Thursday. Hopefully the coach would know to get him out of the game at 74 pitches on Monday, but it's just something that will have to be thought about.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

My take is this,, No kid should throw 125 pitches!
2nd , if a kid throws 90 pitches on Wednesday he is done basically for 4 days. Thurs. , Fri, Sat, Sun.(NO GAME). My player that throws on Wed. always throws a bullpen on Saturday. In the past, it may have been an inning to close a game. Now it will just be in the bullpen.
3rd, DH's are going to be hard!! Games are going to be long! Scores are going to be High!! Many teams will just be throwing Johnny Wholestaff at each other making for some very Hard to play and Umpire Games!!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I prefer the 10 every 3 days.

What pitchers have lost out on a collegiate career due to overuse in high school?

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Honor system?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

Ironman92 wrote:I prefer the 10 every 3 days.

What pitchers have lost out on a collegiate career due to overuse in high school?
You're OK with this:???

Monday 3 innings 46 pitches
Tuesday 3 innings 56 pitches
Wednesday 3 innings 55 pitches
Thursday 3 innings 40 pitches
Friday 3 innings 66 pitches
Saturday 3 innings 60 pitches

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

PVCGuru wrote:

From my understanding, wouldn't it be like this:

Monday 46 pitches
Tuesday Sit Out Day
Wednesday 55 pitches
Thursday Sit Out Day
Friday Sit Out Day
Saturday 60 pitches.

Total Pitches for week 161

I may be wrong.

PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

tvc_fan wrote:
PVCGuru wrote:

From my understanding, wouldn't it be like this:

Monday 46 pitches
Tuesday Sit Out Day
Wednesday 55 pitches
Thursday Sit Out Day
Friday Sit Out Day
Saturday 60 pitches.

Total Pitches for week 161

I may be wrong.
Under the new rules yes. Before this under the 10 innings in 3 days you could do what I posted.

Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

You could but that kid would get shelled! Educated coaches is the answer. You can abuse any system you put in. Some arms (along with proper technique) handle 30 pitches better than others. I throw thirty today and I cant brush my teeth in the morning! lol! If a kid throws 120 pitches on Monday and catches on Tuesday you are not helping him!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

PVCGuru wrote:

Yes!!!! Yes I would because no one does that!!!!!!

WOULD YOU BE OK WITH THIS?!?!

April 3rd 30 pitches
April 4th 30 pitches
April 5th 30 pitches
April 6th 30 pitches
April 7th 30 pitches
April 8th 30 pitches
April 10th 30 pitches
April 11th 30 pitches
April 12th 30 pitches
April 13th 30 pitches
April 14th 30 pitches
April 15th 30 pitches
April 17th 30 pitches
April 18th 30 pitches
April 19th 30 pitches
April 20th 30 pitches
April 21st 30 pitches
April 22nd 30 pitches
April 24th 30 pitches
April 25th 30 pitches
April 26th 30 pitches
April 27th 30 pitches
April 28th 30 pitches

I can't believe you want to hurt a kid's arm!!!!!

PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

If you are trying to protect a kid's arm, innings isn't the way to do it, period.

30 pitches everyday is better than 3 innings everyday if you are looking at worst case scenarios. How can you argue otherwise?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

PVCGuru wrote:If you are trying to protect a kid's arm, innings isn't the way to do it, period.

30 pitches everyday is better than 3 innings everyday if you are looking at worst case scenarios. How can you argue otherwise?
Because both are ridiculous scenarios for each set of rules that literally no one does.

Again, someone list me all the collegiate potential high school pitchers who never got the fair chance due to coaches abusing the 10 inn per 3 day rule.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

None of this pitch count will even effect the post season.

You need a #1 and a #2 because once post season starts there is 5-7 days between sectionals, districts, regional and state.

This pitch count is ehh about the same thing as the inning rule more or less. I see it impacting the regular season more since every team will go through a stretch or two where they will play 4-5 consecutive days or 3 days a week and a DH weekend. When this happens you will need a lot of arms with the new pitch count.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Ironman92 wrote:
PVCGuru wrote:If you are trying to protect a kid's arm, innings isn't the way to do it, period.

Because both are ridiculous scenarios for each set of rules that literally no one does.

Again, someone list me all the collegiate potential high school pitchers who never got the fair chance due to coaches abusing the 10 inn per 3 day rule.

Ironman92, if you do not think the arm injury among High School & Collegiate aged kids has increased exponentially above 10 years ago then my friend you haven't watched the news. Is is because of HS...ehhh...is it because of the rapid increase in popularity of travel/summer ball...ehhh probably more so...but there is a definite correlation between youth arm/shoulder injuries and number of pitches thrown whether it is HS or travel ball or a combination thereof.

OHSAA is probably doing the prudent thing here. Same thing as stepping in with a lot more emphasis on concussion protocol. They are looking at information and trying to do the right thing. With all of OHSAA's shortcomings this is probably not a bad idea.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Abe Froman wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:

Ironman92, if you do not think the arm injury among High School & Collegiate aged kids has increased exponentially above 10 years ago then my friend you haven't watched the news. Is is because of HS...ehhh...is it because of the rapid increase in popularity of travel/summer ball...ehhh probably more so...but there is a definite correlation between youth arm/shoulder injuries and number of pitches thrown whether it is HS or travel ball or a combination thereof.

OHSAA is probably doing the prudent thing here. Same thing as stepping in with a lot more emphasis on concussion protocol. They are looking at information and trying to do the right thing. With all of OHSAA's shortcomings this is probably not a bad idea.
What are the pitching limits in travel ball? If it's increased so much then it should be easy to name a dozen or so kids it affected and kept them from having a collegiate career.

Also, as firebreather noted...that kid's other position better not be catcher.

Teaching kids how to pitch without maximum velocity on their fastball would help too.

Anyone know the pitching limitations in high school back in the early 90's?

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Ironman92 wrote: What are the pitching limits in travel ball? If it's increased so much then it should be easy to name a dozen or so kids it affected and kept them from having a collegiate career.

Also, as firebreather noted...that kid's other position better not be catcher.

Teaching kids how to pitch without maximum velocity on their fastball would help too.

Anyone know the pitching limitations in high school back in the early 90's?

You seriously can't be arguing that there are not more arm injuries now than there were 10-15 years ago are you?

Is that what you are saying?

Why would you not throw you fastball with maximum velocity?

Return to “Baseball”