Columbus Wellington 70 Clay 56 (2017 Elite 8)

Fanatic
Varsity

Re: Division 4 Regional Final: Portsmouth Clay vs Columbus Wellington

Post by Fanatic »

Clay will have their Hands full. Can they win this game, yes, could they get beat by 20, yes they can. Wellington will extend the defense farther than GCC did, they are quicker, much taller, and more athletic than GCC. Clay will have to treasure their possessions more than they did last night. If the guards get by the defender, their are a couple bigs to keep them from getting to the rim. The outside shooting of clay will be the difference, if they hit well, they can win. If they're not, could be a long night.

Wellington needs to handle the ball better, they seemed to struggle with pressure on the ball. Foul shooting weak, about 65%. They need to keep the bigs on the floor. It would be nice to see them in the paint instead of on the 3 point arc. Not sure if clay plays a zone or not, but Wellington seemed surprised and unsure haw to attack it against Waterford.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Have any SE District teams beat Wellington over the years? Did South Webster or Manchester or Eastern Meigs ever knock them off?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

As others have stated, it is imperative that Clay boxes out better than they have all year and minimizes put back baskets by the much taller Wellington. If they can do this, they have a real chance to WIN this game. Obviously Clay will have to do other things well, but keeping Wellington off the glass could be the most important factor.

Ironman92: Wellington was the regional champion last year, but Africentric and Harvest Prep have been the nemesis for SE District D4 teams. In fact, Africentric lost 3 years in a row in the regional final, to Wellington last year, and Harvest Prep before that. Trimble, Peebles, Western Pike, and Waterford have all been beaten by Central District teams in the regional. Overall, the Central District has had a undefeated record vs. the SE District in D2, D3, and D4 the last several years. Maybe this is the year that the Clay Panthers can end that undefeated streak.

Wellington made the state tournament in 2003, and last season, losing in the semifinals both times.

panther2010
Waterboy

Re: 3/17 Portsmouth Clay vs Columbus Wellington

Post by panther2010 »

I think clay honestly has a shot if they can hit the 3ball right off the bat and if they utilize the 2-3 zone aginist a much taller team I don't see man -man defense working to well in the post if clay decide to go that route but offensively I think they will be fine but I am gonna go out and say it will be a close game either way it goes.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

trojandave wrote:As others have stated, it is imperative that Clay boxes out better than they have all year and minimizes put back baskets by the much taller Wellington. If they can do this, they have a real chance to WIN this game. Obviously Clay will have to do other things well, but keeping Wellington off the glass could be the most important factor.

Ironman92: Wellington was the regional champion last year, but Africentric and Harvest Prep have been the nemesis for SE District D4 teams. In fact, Africentric lost 3 years in a row in the regional final, to Wellington last year, and Harvest Prep before that. Trimble, Peebles, Western Pike, and Waterford have all been beaten by Central District teams in the regional. Overall, the Central District has had a undefeated record vs. the SE District in D2, D3, and D4 the last several years. Maybe this is the year that the Clay Panthers can end that undefeated streak.

Wellington made the state tournament in 2003, and last season, losing in the semifinals both times.
Thanks. Well aware the Africentric and Harvest Prep are the two main powers of this regional for a long time...Wellington has been there a bit as well. I know the 2003 Whiteoak team lost 50-44 to Wellington in the regional finals. They had the superior athletes but it was tight. That Whiteoak team made the Final 4 in 2002 and graduated 5 of their 7 rotation players. They had an incredible run using 5 new players into the rotation. Drilled the Cozart led Eastern Meigs team by about 20 in regional semis....but Wellington was too much.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Re: 3/17 Portsmouth Clay vs Columbus Wellington

Post by NewEra »

ManitouDan2
SE

Re: 3/17 Portsmouth Clay vs. Columbus Wellington

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Good luck Panthers and way to represent the Soc .

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

sounds like this might be another dog fight for clay. let's just hope it's not another 2ot thriller

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

Good luck Clay from ISJ !!!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I didn't realize in my above post that Clay just defeated a Central District team in Grove City Christian......so the undefeated streak is over thanks to the Clay Panthers.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

What time does this one start?

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

biggdowgg wrote:What time does this one start?
7:00

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Gold and Blue wrote:
biggdowgg wrote:What time does this one start?
7:00

Thanks

TVC
Varsity

Re: 3/17 Portsmouth Clay vs. Columbus Wellington (2017 Elite 8)

Post by TVC »

Good luck to Clay
I predict 60-44 private school wins. Hope I am wrong.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Clay is has to be the favorite here regardless of the public/private issue. I really felt Waterford would beat Wellington. I thought there would be an All SE District Regional Final.

If Wellington upsets Clay it will be because of poor perimeter shooting. Perimeter shooting is a strength of Clay's.

Good Luck Panthers!

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

I can predict the Panthers will lace em up, go out and give it all they have. They believe in a victory just like Tuesday.Good luck Panthers!

ShooterFlatch
Waterboy

Post by ShooterFlatch »

"Don't get caught up with with the atmosphere and loud gym. No drive 12 foot in. That'll do."

panther2010
Waterboy

Post by panther2010 »

Are they the only team playing tonight at the convo?

IWatchFromTheStands
Waterboy

Post by IWatchFromTheStands »

The Clay Panthers are still in it even after that game on Tuesday. This isn't gonna be an easy game for either team as long as Clay rebounds the ball and takes care of the ball.Wellington outmatches them in height pretty significantly, which is why boxing out and rebounding is such a key in this one. Wellington will have to play good defense to win this one. After what Clay just did on Tuesday then I have to take Clay as the favorite. I will take Clay winning 62-57. Good luck to my Clay Panthers tonight.

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

panther2010 wrote:Are they the only team playing tonight at the convo?
The only game at 7:00

Return to “Boys Basketball”