Belpre

Hitman
Freshman Team

Belpre

Post by Hitman »

I was told Mr. Tyler Leasure has been named head coach at the board meeting this evening.

Carl Spackler
Riding the Bench

Re: Belpre

Post by Carl Spackler »

Position was never posted on ODE nor Belpre's Website. Had did a non-teacher get hired if it was never posted?! And according to the article in the News and Sentinel there was no action taken on the basketball coach.

http://www.newsandsentinel.com/news/loc ... hool-year/

What's going on in Belpre? When we played Belpre "back in the day" they were always well prepared and played with class. Saw them play in a few sports the the last couple years and is sad to see how the school has declined in their attitudes, control of the players, the fan's behavior, and like of pride. Don't understand why so MANY of their coaches (Almost all) are not teachers. I understand they can't pass a levy but doesn't mean you can't take care of what you do have pride in it. Maybe when your high administrators are both live in another school district and your AD is a head coach of a sport, and your superintendent is retiring soon, has a lot to do with it! Sad, Sad, Sad :(

eagle_84
Waterboy

Post by eagle_84 »

Leasure teaches at Belpre.

Carl Spackler wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 9:42 am Position was never posted on ODE nor Belpre's Website. Had did a non-teacher get hired if it was never posted?! And according to the article in the News and Sentinel there was no action taken on the basketball coach.

http://www.newsandsentinel.com/news/loc ... hool-year/

What's going on in Belpre? When we played Belpre "back in the day" they were always well prepared and played with class. Saw them play in a few sports the the last couple years and is sad to see how the school has declined in their attitudes, control of the players, the fan's behavior, and like of pride. Don't understand why so MANY of their coaches (Almost all) are not teachers. I understand they can't pass a levy but doesn't mean you can't take care of what you do have pride in it. Maybe when your high administrators are both live in another school district and your AD is a head coach of a sport, and your superintendent is retiring soon, has a lot to do with it! Sad, Sad, Sad :(

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

I've heard they hired a "proven winner" this time. Also heard that in football though with the car lot guy. When Belpre chose to move down to the weaker Hocking Division it was a sign of them giving up. So you people had to know it would go downhill from there. I hope the best for them, and NY use to have a great rivalry with them. But don't see them coming back any time soon unless they change their mindset about competition. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
fanofsports
Waterboy

Post by fanofsports »

Spackler - you should probably know what you're talking about before you make ignorant posts... Leasure IS a teacher in the school district and was on the coaching staff this current school year. In addition for the current school year, the volleyball coach is a teacher. The cross country coach is a teacher. The golf coach is a teacher. The junior high cross country coach is a teacher. The junior high golf coach is a teacher. The junior high cheer coach is a teacher. The junior high boys basketball coach (Leasure) is a teacher. The softball coach is a former teacher (now administrator). The baseball coach is a teacher. Both assistant baseball coaches are teachers. The junior high track coach is a teacher. So yes there are some sports coached by non-teachers but there are also several sports that ARE coached by teachers. Don't stick your nose where it doesn't belong, especially when you don't have your facts straight.
If you know anything about the high demands and accountability that teachers have placed upon them by the state, you would know why there aren't more teachers who are also coaches. I don't know of any schools in which every coach is also a teacher... If there are some that do exist, kudos to them.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ground Buck wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 10:36 amWhen Belpre chose to move down to the weaker Hocking Division it was a sign of them giving up. So you people had to know it would go downhill from there. I hope the best for them, and NY use to have a great rivalry with them. But don't see them coming back any time soon unless they change their mindset about competition. :mrgreen:
I'm pretty sure Belpre moved to the Hocking division because of dwindling enrollment. They have been a D7 school (football) and DIV (other sports) the last two years.

Carl Spackler
Riding the Bench

Post by Carl Spackler »

Fanospsorts,
I stand corrected. You seem quite sensitive lol. How about varsity sports...How many are teacher in Belpre and how many of the other coaches you mentioned are teachers at Belpre.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I dont think there is one single varsity basketball coach in Athens county that teaches at one of the five county schools. I may be wrong, but im pretty sure Athens, NY with their new hire, Alex, Trimble & Fed are all coached by outsiders.

Carl Spackler
Riding the Bench

Post by Carl Spackler »

Wow. Strange times!

Mike Hawk
Waterboy

Post by Mike Hawk »

Ground Buck wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 10:36 am I've heard they hired a "proven winner" this time. Also heard that in football though with the car lot guy. When Belpre chose to move down to the weaker Hocking Division it was a sign of them giving up. So you people had to know it would go downhill from there. I hope the best for them, and NY use to have a great rivalry with them. But don't see them coming back any time soon unless they change their mindset about competition. :mrgreen:
They aint coming back. they cant even compete in the hawkling division. My boys back in trimble used to make fun of this league and call it the SVAC. No pride in winning this donkey division.

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 1:41 pm I dont think there is one single varsity basketball coach in Athens county that teaches at one of the five county schools. I may be wrong, but im pretty sure Athens, NY with their new hire, Alex, Trimble & Fed are all coached by outsiders.
Kearns is a teacher at Alexander.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Thanks. I knew Blaine wasn't, I thought Jim worked somewhere else as well for some reason.

4 out of 5 then.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 1:41 pm I dont think there is one single varsity basketball coach in Athens county that teaches at one of the five county schools. I may be wrong, but im pretty sure Athens, NY with their new hire, Alex, Trimble & Fed are all coached by outsiders.
Yes and at least one reportedly had no prior experience above the pee wee level. Some schools are desperate enough to hire just about anyone, and Belpre has been there for a while in my opinion. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Uh, Greg Adams has been the football coach for awhile and is a pretty good one, imo. Same goes for the baseball coach. Girls basketball coach is also a good one as is the softball coach. I'm not sure id put Belpre in that group of 'desperate' schools, groundbuck

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

Was the former coach the same coach who had Belpre in the District Semi's in 2015?

Hitman
Freshman Team

Post by Hitman »

N2Hoops wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 8:36 am Was the former coach the same coach who had Belpre in the District Semi's in 2015?
Yes he is

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Chris Murray is a real good girls basketball coach.

Return to “Boys Basketball”