2017-18 SOC2 Thoughts/Predictions

Post Reply
mattash
Site Admin
Posts: 4908
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:20 pm

2017-18 SOC2 Thoughts/Predictions

Post by mattash » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:43 pm

Keep the topics going, what is everyone returning and what is everyone's 2018 outlook



JEEPNATION
Waterboy
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Re: 2017-18 SOC2 Thoughts/Predictions

Post by JEEPNATION » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:39 am

The SOC 2 is going to be really good with lots of teams returning a ton! My predictions

1.) Oak Hill (returns everyone!)
2.) Waverly (all but 2!)
3.) Wheelersburg (Holden alone make them really good!)
4.) South Webster
5.) Valley
6.) Minford
7.) West
8.) Northwest

I think 4-6 could go in different orders as SW, Minford, Valley will all be young but talented!

danicalifornia
Mr. Ohio
Posts: 6228
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Chillicothe

Re: 2017-18 SOC2 Thoughts/Predictions

Post by danicalifornia » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:39 am

When would the reclassification of the SOC happen?

JEEPNATION
Waterboy
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Re: 2017-18 SOC2 Thoughts/Predictions

Post by JEEPNATION » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:54 am

danicalifornia wrote:When would the reclassification of the SOC happen?
From what I heard it may 'happen' this year but wouldn't take affect for another season or two! So if Eastern does come to SOC 2, it would NOT be this upcoming season (not exactly sure why? That's just what I heard)

art_vandelay
Varsity Backup
Posts: 935
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:53 pm

Re: 2017-18 SOC2 Thoughts/Predictions

Post by art_vandelay » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:45 pm

1. Oak Hill (hearing some additions on the way...still a regional team even if not)
2. Wheelersburg (Holden, dyer, salyers and lowery still a solid core)
3. Waverly (most of team back but will miss couple of those seniors)
4. South Webster ( Shiloah Blevins and a bunch of solid underclassmen coming up)
5. Valley (noel and Cunningham a good combo to build around)
6. Minford (still have Dalton and Kelley)
7. West
8. Northwest

See the league being similar to last year. Agreed that 4-6 all bout the same. Remains to be seen if any coaching changes or transfers that could change some things.*

Bring the Heat
Bench
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:29 am

Re: 2017-18 SOC2 Thoughts/Predictions

Post by Bring the Heat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:37 am

Oak Hill will still have Southeastern to contend with to get a regional berth.
Go Panthers!!!!
See if Fairland moves up a division if not they need to avoid that bracket also.

Burg4
Freshman Backup
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:24 pm

Re: 2017-18 SOC2 Thoughts/Predictions

Post by Burg4 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:34 pm

Wheelersburg and Oak Hill look to be the favorites.

Jeep-ster
Freshman Starter
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:27 pm

Re: 2017-18 SOC2 Thoughts/Predictions

Post by Jeep-ster » Tue May 16, 2017 10:43 pm

Who or what is pushing for a realignment of the SOC 1 & 2 schools? School size seems not to be the key any longer, look at Northwest in football. The smaller schools like Webster, Valley & Oak Hill can go up or down a division in state play because the student counts are close to the cut lines usually. Remember Oak Hill dropped to d4 a few years ago then back to d3. So what's behind this?

art_vandelay
Varsity Backup
Posts: 935
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:53 pm

Re: 2017-18 SOC2 Thoughts/Predictions

Post by art_vandelay » Wed May 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Jeep-ster wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 10:43 pm
Who or what is pushing for a realignment of the SOC 1 & 2 schools? School size seems not to be the key any longer, look at Northwest in football. The smaller schools like Webster, Valley & Oak Hill can go up or down a division in state play because the student counts are close to the cut lines usually. Remember Oak Hill dropped to d4 a few years ago then back to d3. So what's behind this?
Gotta think football is what's driving realignment of SOC. Moving Northwest down to SOC I seems to have started the conversation. Add to it Beaver Eastern adding football and their enrollment increasing (now D3 in basketball) which are furthering the conversation (and some rumblings of Oak Hill not being happy in SOC I football as well). I've heard realignment won't happen for another 2 years (if it does). I've also heard talk of adding Ironton St. Joe to SOC I and moving Beaver Eastern to SOC II (for basketball/baseball only) and no other schools moving. Again, all rumors. Check football forum for a thread where much of this has been discussed.*

Jeep-ster
Freshman Starter
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:27 pm

Re: 2017-18 SOC2 Thoughts/Predictions

Post by Jeep-ster » Wed May 17, 2017 4:32 pm

Thanks Art. I have to agree Webster technically fits better in SOC 1 as far as size. I imagine even our overall record would improve since probable more wins then playing the larger SOC 2 schools. However Webster has never been in SOC 1(to best of my knowledge). Not counting I assume when there was no separate divisions. No offense to any SOC 1 schools because they have had some really good years lately. But Webster is better prepared every year by playing in the SOC 2. Even when we have our down years, South Webster is a team not to take lightly in our state run. I think we should stay in SOC 2. Just my 2 cents :)

User avatar
Abe Froman
Varsity Backup
Posts: 877
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:47 am
Location: Chicago

Re: 2017-18 SOC2 Thoughts/Predictions

Post by Abe Froman » Wed May 17, 2017 4:36 pm

art_vandelay wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:45 pm
1. Oak Hill (hearing some additions on the way...still a regional team even if not)
2. Wheelersburg (Holden, dyer, salyers and lowery still a solid core)
3. Waverly (most of team back but will miss couple of those seniors)
4. South Webster ( Shiloah Blevins and a bunch of solid underclassmen coming up)
5. Valley (noel and Cunningham a good combo to build around)
6. Minford (still have Dalton and Kelley)
7. West
8. Northwest

See the league being similar to last year. Agreed that 4-6 all bout the same. Remains to be seen if any coaching changes or transfers that could change some things.*
Hearing there is a "big" (as in tall) addition to a certain team mentioned above as well.

Ukfanatic
JV Backup
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:32 pm

Re: 2017-18 SOC2 Thoughts/Predictions

Post by Ukfanatic » Thu May 18, 2017 8:36 am

Waverly will be very, very good. 3 starters returning. 2 more seniors who could have started last year. Get back one who was injured all of last year. Couple of sophomores who are really good. Should be able to make a run.

art_vandelay
Varsity Backup
Posts: 935
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:53 pm

Re: 2017-18 SOC2 Thoughts/Predictions

Post by art_vandelay » Thu May 18, 2017 10:55 pm

Abe Froman wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 4:36 pm
art_vandelay wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:45 pm
1. Oak Hill (hearing some additions on the way...still a regional team even if not)
2. Wheelersburg (Holden, dyer, salyers and lowery still a solid core)
3. Waverly (most of team back but will miss couple of those seniors)
4. South Webster ( Shiloah Blevins and a bunch of solid underclassmen coming up)
5. Valley (noel and Cunningham a good combo to build around)
6. Minford (still have Dalton and Kelley)
7. West
8. Northwest

See the league being similar to last year. Agreed that 4-6 all bout the same. Remains to be seen if any coaching changes or transfers that could change some things.*
Hearing there is a "big" (as in tall) addition to a certain team mentioned above as well.
And I hearing Burg getting some "help" as well.*

art_vandelay
Varsity Backup
Posts: 935
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:53 pm

Re: 2017-18 SOC2 Thoughts/Predictions

Post by art_vandelay » Thu May 18, 2017 10:57 pm

Jeep-ster wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 4:32 pm
Thanks Art. I have to agree Webster technically fits better in SOC 1 as far as size. I imagine even our overall record would improve since probable more wins then playing the larger SOC 2 schools. However Webster has never been in SOC 1(to best of my knowledge). Not counting I assume when there was no separate divisions. No offense to any SOC 1 schools because they have had some really good years lately. But Webster is better prepared every year by playing in the SOC 2. Even when we have our down years, South Webster is a team not to take lightly in our state run. I think we should stay in SOC 2. Just my 2 cents :)
I think Webster has made it clear of their desire to stay SOC II, but it may be out of their hands. Whatever happens, they'll have to deal with it, but I too hope they can stay SOC II as I'd gladly trade conference championships for long runs in the tourney.*

JEEPNATION
Waterboy
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Re: 2017-18 SOC2 Thoughts/Predictions

Post by JEEPNATION » Thu May 18, 2017 11:12 pm

art_vandelay wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 10:55 pm
Abe Froman wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 4:36 pm
art_vandelay wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:45 pm
1. Oak Hill (hearing some additions on the way...still a regional team even if not)
2. Wheelersburg (Holden, dyer, salyers and lowery still a solid core)
3. Waverly (most of team back but will miss couple of those seniors)
4. South Webster ( Shiloah Blevins and a bunch of solid underclassmen coming up)
5. Valley (noel and Cunningham a good combo to build around)
6. Minford (still have Dalton and Kelley)
7. West
8. Northwest

See the league being similar to last year. Agreed that 4-6 all bout the same. Remains to be seen if any coaching changes or transfers that could change some things.*
Hearing there is a "big" (as in tall) addition to a certain team mentioned above as well.
And I hearing Burg getting some "help" as well.*
Like Lee Corso says, "not so fast my friend!" My sources tell me that Webster has PROOF of Burg trying to recruit the young man, and if the young man enrolls, they will report it. Things are about to get interesting, that much I can guarantee!

Post Reply