Conflict of Interest Questions

Phoenix31
JV Team

Conflict of Interest Questions

Post by Phoenix31 »

I want your opinion on 3 similar questions pertaining to possible conflict of interest by a current head coach of a high school baseball team.

Is it a conflict of interest for a current head coach of a high school baseball team to:

1.) have his current high school players pay for hitting and/or pitching instruction during the season at his baseball business?

2.) have his current high school players pay for hitting and/or pitching instruction during the season and off-season at his baseball business?

3.) have his current high school players pay for hitting and/or pitching instruction during the off-season at his baseball business?

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: Conflict of Interest Questions

Post by Chieftain2009 »

I wouldn't say any of those would be a conflict of interest, but I would say that those would go against helping out your baseball team.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 12:57 am I wouldn't say any of those would be a conflict of interest, but I would say that those would go against helping out your baseball team.
Thanks for your response.

Maybe, I should explain in more detail my definition of conflict of interest.

The possible conflict of interest arises between those players who pay for lessons and those players who do not. The possible conflict of interest on the coach's part pertains to his decision to play the players who pay for his lessons versus those who get fewer days of instruction in regular practice from the coach or one of his assistants.

Paid instruction during the season occurs on days where no games and practices are scheduled. For instance, a coach will never have a game or practice on a Wednesday because this is when he gives his paid instruction to his high school players.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

163 views and only 1 response?

Does this happen in a lot of schools nowadays and everybody wants to stay quiet on the issue?

Wow!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

It's not something I would allow to happen if I were an AD.
If you want the kids to hit and get better, why charge them?
If you own a business you want to make money, I get that. If charging the kids to show up and hit year round and then not playing the kids that don't or can't pay, then you are not much of a coach at all in my opinion.
If I were a coach that owned batting cages and charged people to use them, I'd let my kids use them for free during the season and offer a discount for the off-season but I wouldn't hold it against a kid who didn't use them in the off-season. Lots of kids play multiple sports so they may not have the time to use them.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I'm guessing this dude won't be a coach for long :lol:

Watson40
Waterboy

Post by Watson40 »

I would say shame on any coach that would make a current player pay for this instruction at any time through the year. But in truth for it to be unethical questions have to be answered. Is he providing sufficient training opportunities with the scope of his job, free of charge, during the training seasons? If he shows little interest in fulfilling his contractual obligations and makes it up with money going in his pocket then that would be obvious.

Baseball is down right now. I have heard many say it is a dying sport. So any coach that can not give 100% to his players and community should really step aside and let someone take the reigns that will. I have nothing against people making money but now you cross over to questioned favoritism and obligation for those who spend more money in this coaches facility.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Sounds like money before the kids to me. Money in the bank is more important to some people than the youth of this country.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Phoenix31 wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 5:22 am
Chieftain2009 wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 12:57 am I wouldn't say any of those would be a conflict of interest, but I would say that those would go against helping out your baseball team.
Thanks for your response.

Maybe, I should explain in more detail my definition of conflict of interest.

The possible conflict of interest arises between those players who pay for lessons and those players who do not. The possible conflict of interest on the coach's part pertains to his decision to play the players who pay for his lessons versus those who get fewer days of instruction in regular practice from the coach or one of his assistants.

Paid instruction during the season occurs on days where no games and practices are scheduled. For instance, a coach will never have a game or practice on a Wednesday because this is when he gives his paid instruction to his high school players.
Could it be that the players who pay for instruction actually develop better skills from putting in more time than kids who don't? And THAT is why those kids may get to play more?

hilljack
Freshman Team

Post by hilljack »

Sounds like a big conflict to me, especially if its during the season. Getting paid for extra time with your own players? What about the players who can't afford that extra time?

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

I know of 5-7 coaches just in a couple counties that do this for not only their players but other area players in all grades. In basketball, football, baseball and track.

You seriously going to tell someone that can't make a second income teaching something? Seriously.

Quit whining.

When varsity season hits it is about winning and fielding the best players no matter the sport. If you think otherwise then you have never been interviewed by an AD and Superintendent after a losing season.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 12:39 pm It's not something I would allow to happen if I were an AD.
If you want the kids to hit and get better, why charge them?
If you own a business you want to make money, I get that. If charging the kids to show up and hit year round and then not playing the kids that don't or can't pay, then you are not much of a coach at all in my opinion.
If I were a coach that owned batting cages and charged people to use them, I'd let my kids use them for free during the season and offer a discount for the off-season but I wouldn't hold it against a kid who didn't use them in the off-season. Lots of kids play multiple sports so they may not have the time to use them.
Thanks for your response, O&B.

I especially agree with the highlighted sentence.

:mrgreen:

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 1:29 pm I'm guessing this dude won't be a coach for long :lol:
Thanks for your response, Raider.

He has been a head coach in high school baseball between 5-10 years.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Watson40 wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 3:29 pm I would say shame on any coach that would make a current player pay for this instruction at any time through the year. But in truth for it to be unethical questions have to be answered. Is he providing sufficient training opportunities with the scope of his job, free of charge, during the training seasons? If he shows little interest in fulfilling his contractual obligations and makes it up with money going in his pocket then that would be obvious.

Baseball is down right now. I have heard many say it is a dying sport. So any coach that can not give 100% to his players and community should really step aside and let someone take the reigns that will. I have nothing against people making money but now you cross over to questioned favoritism and obligation for those who spend more money in this coaches facility.
Thanks for your response, Watson.

I agree with the highlighted sentence.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

noreply66 wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 4:17 pm Sounds like money before the kids to me. Money in the bank is more important to some people than the youth of this country.
Thanks for your response, noreply.

Do you believe that he should be allowed to provide paid services to his players at least in the off-season?

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

enigmaax wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 4:59 pmCould it be that the players who pay for instruction actually develop better skills from putting in more time than kids who don't? And THAT is why those kids may get to play more?
Thanks for your response, enigmaax.

I agree with you that players who pay for instruction put in a lot more time, on average, than players who do not.

In your opinion, should the players be allowed to receive paid individual instruction from their head coach during the season?

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

hilljack wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 5:34 pmSounds like a big conflict to me, especially if its during the season. Getting paid for extra time with your own players? What about the players who can't afford that extra time?
Thanks for your response, hilljack.

I agree with your statement.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 8:35 pm I know of 5-7 coaches just in a couple counties that do this for not only their players but other area players in all grades. In basketball, football, baseball and track.

You seriously going to tell someone that can't make a second income teaching something? Seriously.

Quit whining.

When varsity season hits it is about winning and fielding the best players no matter the sport. If you think otherwise then you have never been interviewed by an AD and Superintendent after a losing season.
Thanks for your response, Abe Froman - sausage king of Chicago!

Do you believe that these coaches who provide paid individual instruction during the season to players would rather play them instead of playing somebody who hasn't paid for instruction? What would that do to the coach's business if an individual paid for instruction and didn't get substantial playing time? In addition, invariably there exists the propensity for the coach to slack off on professionally preparing the non-paying athletes during hitting instruction. Comparing stats to determine playing time is more easily accomplished if the paying athlete is hitting better than the non-paying athlete.

Hence, the possible conflict of interest exists.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Phoenix31 wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 9:38 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 8:35 pm I know of 5-7 coaches just in a couple counties that do this for not only their players but other area players in all grades. In basketball, football, baseball and track.

Quit whining.

Thanks for your response, Abe Froman - sausage king of Chicago!

Do you believe that these coaches who provide paid individual instruction during the season to players would rather play them instead of playing somebody who hasn't paid for instruction? What would that do to the coach's business if an individual paid for instruction and didn't get substantial playing time? In addition, invariably there exists the propensity for the coach to slack off on professionally preparing the non-paying athletes during hitting instruction. Comparing stats to determine playing time is more easily accomplished if the paying athlete is hitting better than the non-paying athlete.

Hence, the possible conflict of interest exists.
Shouldn't be done during the season.

I was referring to off season instructions and it always involves players other than just who is being coached from around the area. Very often players who are under his tutelage are not charged.

But I see no reason to limit it from happening, unless it is during the season. That should not occur.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 9:44 pmShouldn't be done during the season.

I was referring to off season instructions and it always involves players other than just who is being coached from around the area. Very often players who are under his tutelage are not charged.

But I see no reason to limit it from happening, unless it is during the season. That should not occur.
Thanks for the clarification.

We do agree on this situation.

Return to “Baseball”