sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

2017 Bishop Hartley Hawks

Post by sapientia et veritas »

Please post:
2017 Schedule
2017 Returning Starters with Tackles, Sacks, INT, Yards, TD
Thoughts on 2017 Season

OHSAA aligned them in the "southeast" region 11 even though it stretches up to Bellfontaine in the northwest and up to Dover in the Northeast. Will make for some long trips come playoff time, but that's typically what they do with the southeastern part of the state even though there aren't interstates criss-crossing the area like elsewhere.

I know Hartley is a little less than popular in these parts, and that's OK with me. Bash away.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Re: 2017 Bishop Hartley Hawks

Schedule:
08/25 Home Toledo Central Catholic
09/01 Home Grove City Central Crossing
09/08 Home East Cleveland Shaw
09/15 Away Chillicothe
09/22 Home Columbus Worthington Kilbourne
09/29 Away Columbus Bishop Watterson
10/06 Away Columbus Bishop Ready
10/13 Home Columbus St. Francis DeSales
10/20 Away North Canton Hoover
10/27 Home Columbus St. Charles

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Roster Notes:

Graduating starters:
Marquette Dixon (Midwest Prep)
Jake Ruby (tOSU baseball)
Jack Baughman
Cam'Ron Culver (Walsh)
Jaden Manley (Mt Union)
Nick Onega
Thomas Casimir
Cody Kirkbride (Davidson)
Nick Dawes (Duquesne)
Jacob McFeeters
Jordin Smith

Returning starters:
Elijah Carter
Ethan Amaya
Nick Cone
James Reese
Alexander Blackmon
Jordan Kirkbride
Max Steinecker
Thomas Carney
Anthomy Maciejewski
Mateo Agriesti (kicker)
Mason Sawyer (long snapper who will show up elsewhere probably)

Potential breakout rising stars
Anthony Carfagna - QB
Miles Flemming - QB/Ath - probably won't start at QB but may be used at wideout or slot
Ben Dankow - RB/LB
Philip Cole - RB/SB/DB
Patrick Gilliland - OL/DL
Anthony Whitney - WR/DB
Winston Amankwah - WR/DB
Jalan January - RB
Jaydyn Davis - RB/DB

Potential starters/platooners
Payton Collins - TE/LB
Griffin Rathburn - OL/DL
Nathaniel Amaya - OL/DL
Walter Carraker - OL/DL
Nate Jackson - OL/DL
Braylon Mitchell - RB/DB
Ryan Heuser - WR/FS

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Early thoughts:

I have no involvement with the program, so this is all just my own opinions as a fan. I only saw a couple of JV games, including the 29-0 blowout of Pickerington Central. I'm expecting more of a reloading than a rebuilding season. Hopefully some kid can punt - had lots of nail-biters in playoffs due to that - shanks & near blocks. Not sure how we'll stack up against the Karl Rd Purple Empire. They usually get a couple transfers/move-ins.

Should be another exciting year.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:00 pm Early thoughts:

I have no involvement with the program, so this is all just my own opinions as a fan. I only saw a couple of JV games, including the 29-0 blowout of Pickerington Central. I'm expecting more of a reloading than a rebuilding season. Hopefully some kid can punt - had lots of nail-biters in playoffs due to that - shanks & near blocks. Not sure how we'll stack up against the Karl Rd Purple Empire. They usually get a couple transfers/move-ins.

Should be another exciting year.
yeah those Stallions get all the transfers/move-ins, that doesn't happen at Hartley right lol

Maybe a few? Maybe the reason for the jump up to D3?

I am sure you have everyone's sympathy.

From D5, to D4 to now D3 in what 3 years?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:56 pm Schedule:
08/25 Home Toledo Central Catholic 10-0 (50)
09/01 Home Grove City Central Crossing 2-8 (13)
09/08 Home East Cleveland Shaw 4-6 (18)
09/15 Away Chillicothe 8-2 (40)
09/22 Home Columbus Worthington Kilbourne 5-5 (30)
09/29 Away Columbus Bishop Watterson 3-7 (17)
10/06 Away Columbus Bishop Ready 6-4 (30)
10/13 Home Columbus St. Francis DeSales 10-0 (50)
10/20 Away North Canton Hoover 5-5 (30)
10/27 Home Columbus St. Charles 3-7 (16)

L2 62 L2 294 10-0 would be 32-35
8-2 would be around 22-24 points if they lose to Desales and TCC
7-3 around 18
I like Hartley picking up Hoover and Chillicothe. Hartley probably needs to go 8-2 to make the playoffs. 7-3 would be close

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Hey sausage king!

The drop to D5 was a one-year quirk resulting from the Columbus enrollment fiasco. Hartley was on the low-end of D4 and got shoved down while the crooks were still re-juggling their numbers. Enrollment had actually increased that year.

The number of public school kids applying in 8th grade hasn't changed much in quantity over the last 30 years that our extended family has been sending kids there. With the advent of the EdChoice system, the family-borne cost for the families in the city has gone down quite a bit.

The move to D3 is purely on competitive balance numbers - the additional 97 kid roster count. The number of kids on the football team who didn't go to the designated feeder schools hasn't changed much. And admittedly, a well-known track coach brought in better athletes with speed and now a successful football coach is attracting higher quality football talent. They can't all move to Pickerington - the rents are too high out there. That all happens at the freshman year.

DeSales gets a few blue chip kids every year who had already attended high school somewhere else. That's not the culture at Hartley.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

How many transfers in.

They are the best at using the voucher system to bring in Athletes/Students.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:58 pmThey are the best at using the voucher system to bring in Athletes/Students.
There are five failed Columbus City Schools on Deb Moore's Wall of Shame in Eligibility Transfer Rule 4-7-5 that are in the Bishop Hartley attendance zone designated by the Diocese:

Columbus Africentric Early College High School
Columbus East High School
Columbus Independence High School
Columbus South High School
Columbus Walnut Ridge

Not everybody can win the Eastmoor STEM Academy lottery. Hartley is a good alternative for those families who want a quality, college-preparatory education for their kids and can't afford to pay $800/month in rent to live in the suburbs.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Hartley is closer to where they should be in D3. Wouldn't be to concerned about making those November vacation plans from now on. D3 is a different animal and if they make the playoffs they won't be around long.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Oak wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:06 pmD3 is a different animal and if they make the playoffs they won't be around long.
Let's hope the week 11 opponent feels the same way.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:56 pm Schedule:
08/25 Home Toledo Central Catholic
09/01 Home Grove City Central Crossing
09/08 Home East Cleveland Shaw
09/15 Away Chillicothe
09/22 Home Columbus Worthington Kilbourne
09/29 Away Columbus Bishop Watterson
10/06 Away Columbus Bishop Ready
10/13 Home Columbus St. Francis DeSales
10/20 Away North Canton Hoover
10/27 Home Columbus St. Charles
6-4 or 7-3

Should be enough points for Week 11 though if 7-3.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:45 pm
Oak wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:06 pmD3 is a different animal and if they make the playoffs they won't be around long.
Let's hope the week 11 opponent feels the same way.
Week 11 Hartley at DeSales. I'm hoping for a Hamilton Township vs Dover match up. Be like Athens vs LE in 2013 74-55

AHM
Freshman Team

Post by AHM »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:58 pm How many transfers in.

They are the best at using the voucher system to bring in Athletes/Students.
Does Hartley get a lot of transfers? Looking at this article it doesnt sound like it is their thing
http://theathletespoint.com/chemistry-c ... champions/

What does it mean to be the best at using the voucher system? I know that Bishop Ready and Desales all have more voucher students than Hartley does.

Having seen Hartley play and beat Desales, Marion Franklin Toledo Catholic through the years, Id bet they will be fairly competitive in division 3. ;)

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

AHM wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:34 pm

Does Hartley get a lot of transfers? Looking at this article it doesnt sound like it is their thing
http://theathletespoint.com/chemistry-c ... champions/

What does it mean to be the best at using the voucher system? I know that Bishop Ready and Desales all have more voucher students than Hartley does.

Having seen Hartley play and beat Desales, Marion Franklin Toledo Catholic through the years, Id bet they will be fairly competitive in division 3. ;)
Nice puff piece of an article. Real hard-hitting journalism right there lol, and yes I was rolling my eyes as this piece suggests...more than once.

I did like the part of we will play who they tell us to play and will show up best prepared as we can. That is how everyone should approach it, public school or private school.

Make no mistake there is/are/will be distinct advantages that some people have initially, whether it is HS Football or landing your first job. So public schools just understand that and show up and play and do your best to win. Chemistry is easier to achieve when you have advantages, not as easy when you do not, but in an environment where we continuously chase the rabbit down the hole in attempts to "even" the playing field with nuanced tweaks to a system that is actually not that bad. Let's leave 7 divisions and the CBP alone for awhile, everything will be ok.

I like the privates in the mix. After all everyone needs a villain in the equation, it always makes the movie much more entertaining.

And, don't worry Hartley will compete just fine in D3. The vouchers, errr I mean chemistry, will need some adjustment but they will be one of the top 8 in the region come Week 11. Bank on it.

Return to “Football”