Athens Bulldogs 2017-2018

dunkcity
Waterboy

Re: Athens Bulldogs 2017-2018

Post by dunkcity »

No one knows for sure. Cozart doing great job coaching so Bulldogs are in great hands. I think Butcher is only going to be a freshman and I think Chubb was a freshman last season. Albin, Hynes, Dickelman, Butcher, Maxfield and Chubb all play football so let us hope they are healthy. This might be best hoop team in years.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Butcher will be soph
Chubb a jr

Starting five will be irrelevant. 7 or 8 players are virtually interchangeable. I would even start a different lineup every game for the purpose of managing ego's.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

I would suggest if you have to manage egos in that manner, then you may have other issues.

I just think having someone to handle the ball during a press or with a lot of ball pressure is going to be key. Griffin has done it for the past four years, so none of the kids have experience at the varsity level handling the ball. Like I said, I think Athens will be the deepest team in the TVC this year, but egos and ball handling will be the biggest concerns for the bulldogs.

Go TVC.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Let me see we have a projected 1st team ALL STATE PLAYER and consensus BEST post player in the area . TVC should be a given for the Bulldogs. VC you should concede right now .

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens doesnt seem to have an ego problem spartans fan, they are all pretty good kids. But its human nature to possess some sort of ego. I was suggesting since you have so many players who can play, multiple starting lineups will only enhance the TEAM concept.

Sniper_Fan
Waterboy

Post by Sniper_Fan »

Coach Cozart has done a great job stepping in for a true legend - a man who was the face of Athens Basketball for years, a certain OHSAA Hall of Famer and someone they will probably name the gym after, and has continued on his proud legacy. Cozart is all about TEAM first and being unselfish, so he will be able to keep the kids focused on the prize. With so much young talent it helps to have a player like his son who has shown he can put the whole team on his back and carry them when they have growing pains. The Dogs will be fine.

BulldogFan6152
Waterboy

Post by BulldogFan6152 »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:25 am Dickleman, Hines, Maxfield, Butcher - all football players - weather they were there or not, I don't know.

And I would assume the Dogs will struggle for a short time, Griff dominated the ball so much and scored (and shot) a ton. It's going to take awhile to adjust to life without him.
I believe Maxfield goes to Atlanta for the summer to see family right?

BulldogFan6152
Waterboy

Post by BulldogFan6152 »

VisionQuest wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:28 pm I'm excited about this Athens team. This upcoming season I expect a few players to step out of the shadows of former shining star Griffin Lutz. Who will emerge remains to be seen?? The talent will be there and the Teamwork-This will be an Unselfish team. Athens was fairly young last year. The 3 Sophomores now Juniors-Hynes, Maxfield and Chubb saw significant Court time and matured and became more comfortable as the Season went on. Dalton Cozart toward the end of the Season carried the team on his shoulders and into The Convo. Micah Saltzman and Treyce Albin became more Aggressive and will need to Continue as they go into their Senior Campaigns- both will need to be floor Generals and try to fill the shoes of Lutz. Robert Dickelman will be a Force athletically and then add to the Mix fellow football players Isiah Butcher and Justin Hynes and Logan Maxfield-this will be a physical and athletic team in the paint and there are some Guards that can really shoot in Cozart, Saltzman, Henry Gehrig, Austin Koska and Eli Chubb-All 3 can hit the 3 on a consistent basis. VC and Athens will match up well this year-Meigs will be another contender in the TVC-OHIO. Should be an exciting Season.
Maxfield had the hot hand on threes towards the end of the year and had some breakout games against Alexander, Wellston, Morgan and Sheridan after the Christmas holidays. It was like seeing a different player take over the court. Hines is always a force. I think the unknown will be Butcher. I think some of his attitude got him into trouble towards the end of the JV season and he's going to have to control that tempter a bit on varsity for the team to gain trust and gel with him. Your right though, they are a very unselfish team and would hate to see the great things that came out of the second half of the season lose traction with the talent they have. Chubb and Hynes will be big and I feel like there will be a very good distribution of points this season. The defense is strong and with just a few tweaks, I cant see many scoring more than 50 on them this year.

BulldogFan6152
Waterboy

Post by BulldogFan6152 »

Sniper_Fan wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:19 pm Coach Cozart has done a great job stepping in for a true legend - a man who was the face of Athens Basketball for years, a certain OHSAA Hall of Famer and someone they will probably name the gym after, and has continued on his proud legacy. Cozart is all about TEAM first and being unselfish, so he will be able to keep the kids focused on the prize. With so much young talent it helps to have a player like his son who has shown he can put the whole team on his back and carry them when they have growing pains. The Dogs will be fine.
I am excited about Cozart's optimism and Team first mentality. Good leader and all the kids adapted to him well. For as many issues as we started with, Coach Cozart was quick to address and true up some of those holes and exposures down the stretch when we really needed these guys to come together. I believe some of the younger guys started feeling a sense of ownership to add to the solution finally and help Griffin out.

BulldogFan6152
Waterboy

Post by BulldogFan6152 »

VisionQuest wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:35 pm
dunkcity wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:41 pm Will be an interesting year in SE Ohio and Athens.Athens looks revamped. Hynes and Dickelman are very dominant as inside forces Consensus says Hynes is the best in the area..Saltzman and Albin form a very quick first team back court. Saltzman is a solid 6'2" point that gets others involved , can score when he choses to and plays great defense.. Albin is lightening quick and can defend with aggression. Gets to the rim easily. He loves competition. Cozart has the green light to shoot and can knock down the open shot with consistency. Maxfield is a key. Off the bench Chubb and Butcher will produce and there is a solid supporting cast. Cozart is very comfortable as he enters year number two at the helm.
You act as if you have a good handle on this team. With that being said I am curious as to who you you think the starting 5 will be at Athens?? Returning starters based on last season would be Dickelman, Hynes,
Cozart and Saltzman...Who gets the Coveted 5 Spot??...Do you go with Senior Albin, Juniors Maxfield or Chubb??-Does Sophomore Butcher have a Shot???-Looking for Thoughts on This-All 3 Can play-What a Good problem to have for Coach Cozart....
I see Hynes and Butcher being interchangeable. The concern I have will be speed up and down the court and especially in transition. We have a few players who have some good speed and some who don't in Athens 10-12 lineup. It will be a mix and match scenario, but all interchangeable. Athens had some players really step up at the end shooting to strengthen the offense and others on the defensive end.

Ball handling will be our other issue, as I only see 2/3 that have good vision and true court smarts to handle the press or two man coverage after mid court. I expect coach Cozart to play his best defense to start the season and then start migrating to more the offensive scheme to alleviate the loss of Lutz.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Has anyone seen or can anyone share Athens schedule this upcoming season??...If it is out.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

VisionQuest wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:29 pm Has anyone seen or can anyone share Athens schedule this upcoming season??...If it is out.
Dec. 5th ... vs Warren High School ... Home

... not a bad opening game or first week game for the Bulldogs on a Tuesday night ...

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

pfloyd wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:08 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:29 pm Has anyone seen or can anyone share Athens schedule this upcoming season??...If it is out.
Dec. 5th ... vs Warren High School ... Home

... not a bad opening game or first week game for the Bulldogs on a Tuesday night ...
thanks Floyd. Rumor is Athens plays Gallia Academy 1st game of the Season. If true Athens is showing once again a great Strength of schedule

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Oh boy, ending the streak versus the Warriors to start the season!

Thats how you set the tone for the year.

Love it

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:23 am Oh boy, ending the streak versus the Warriors to start the season!

Love it
Now why would you want to say that ? You are giving the Warriors motivation and you know what happens then.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Anyone have the Athens 2017-2018 schedule ?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Truth&fiction wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:21 am
93Bulldog wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:23 am Oh boy, ending the streak versus the Warriors to start the season!

Love it
Now why would you want to say that ? You are giving the Warriors motivation and you know what happens then.
Lol ive been talking smack toward the big bad blue for so long - they just tone me out anymore.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Chieftian2009 has Logans "unofficial" schedule on The 2017/2018 Logan Chieftans thread. I see Athens at Logan on 12/16 and Logan at Athens on 1/6. If true this shows some great scheduling on both Schools part. From the bits and pieces I am gathering about Athens schedule which no-one can seem to produce-I have non-league opponents so far as Gallia Academy, Warren and Logan. Anyone have any other input or have a Schedule or hear of any other Non-Conference teams Athens will be playing???

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Here's what's been posted so far on OHSAA

http://arbiterlive.com/Teams/Schedule/5467782

Once on the site, change it from 2016-17 to 2017-18

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

GoBucks1047 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:36 pm Here's what's been posted so far on OHSAA

http://arbiterlive.com/Teams/Schedule/5467782

Once on the site, change it from 2016-17 to 2017-18
Thanks-it looks like half the schedule is posted-all of the home games except the Marietta game

Return to “Boys Basketball”