Athens Bulldogs 2017-2018

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: Athens Bulldogs 2017-2018

Post by thebarlowbandit »

We need no motivation!!!! And it's a good time for Athens, as Coach Maddux will not have much film or look to prepare for Athens. Seeing how Athens does not scout, the playing field should be level for game prep.

Go Blue!

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:36 am We need no motivation!!!! And it's a good time for Athens, as Coach Maddux will not have much film or look to prepare for Athens. Seeing how Athens does not scout, the playing field should be level for game prep.

Go Blue!
No surprise here. Have you ever heard of a youth league coach scouting or watching film? Me either. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
dunkcity
Waterboy

Post by dunkcity »

Coach Cozart and Coach Bobo have energized the Athens basketball program. They play at Ohio University this weekend. I hope to see them play.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Heard Gallia beat Athens pretty handily . Is that right?

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

They will be 3rd in TVC-Ohio!!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Truth&fiction wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:43 am Heard Gallia beat Athens pretty handily . Is that right?
Possibly, but a couple things. It is the summer and Gallia will likely be a Top 6 team in the Southeastern Sectional, so they'll be pretty good.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Are you sure gallia will be at SE?

They use to always be at Logan for years. Would not be surprised if they are back again after realignment. But who knows.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:31 am Are you sure gallia will be at SE?

They use to always be at Logan for years. Would not be surprised if they are back again after realignment. But who knows.
You're probably right. I had forgotten that they were there every year before 2014. Will be interesting to see what the SEODAB does with the Blue Devils. They will be a tough matchup due to their size.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

tvc_fan wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:45 pm They will be 3rd in TVC-Ohio!!!
So does that make them the Under"DOGS" In thE TVC-OHIO??-LOL. Who do you have?? Meigs at 1st to win outright then VC 2nd and Athens 3rd??

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:24 am
So does that make them the Under"DOGS" In thE TVC-OHIO??-LOL. Who do you have?? Meigs at 1st to win outright then VC 2nd and Athens 3rd??
1st and 2nd will be between VC and Meigs. All 3 teams are very Similar...A few stand out Seniors on each team Yates(VC), Cozart(Athens), Mattox(Meigs)

VC of course has more recognizable names because of their tourney runs, but they also lost some quality players, So now Yates will see the #1 Defenders, Something he has never seen, he usually see's a teams #3 Defender.

Athens and Meigs have a bunch of players not many recognize other then us homers. we can list all the players we have and say we go 10 deep, but of course we are gonna say that, we are homers, we know the boys. But most the players are unproven, especially when you lose a player like Lutz.

My personal opinion and yes it may be homer based, but I think Meigs has more Ball Handlers then Athens...You have Mattox, Bartrum and Baer. Athens has Cozart, What happened in the Meigs game at Athens last year when Cozart was taken out of the game and they still had Lutz?

So I am basing it on What happens when you take the best player out of the game for each team? Yates, Cozart and Mattox. I think VC and Meigs has the players that can step up better then Athens.

Who can step up and take control of the team with Lutz gone and if Cozart is taken out of the game? I don't even thing people from Athens knows.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

tvc_fan wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:14 am
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:24 am
1st and 2nd will be between VC and Meigs. All 3 teams are very Similar...A few stand out Seniors on each team Yates(VC), Cozart(Athens), Mattox(Meigs)

VC of course has more recognizable names because of their tourney runs, but they also lost some quality players, So now Yates will see the #1 Defenders, Something he has never seen, he usually see's a teams #3 Defender.

Athens and Meigs have a bunch of players not many recognize other then us homers. we can list all the players we have and say we go 10 deep, but of course we are gonna say that, we are homers, we know the boys. But most the players are unproven, especially when you lose a player like Lutz.

My personal opinion and yes it may be homer based, but I think Meigs has more Ball Handlers then Athens...You have Mattox, Bartrum and Baer. Athens has Cozart, What happened in the Meigs game at Athens last year when Cozart was taken out of the game and they still had Lutz?

So I am basing it on What happens when you take the best player out of the game for each team? Yates, Cozart and Mattox. I think VC and Meigs has the players that can step up better then Athens.

Who can step up and take control of the team with Lutz gone and if Cozart is taken out of the game? I don't even thing people from Athens knows.
A pretty bold prediction-And albeit a Biased one. I'm not ready to go out on a limb and make a prediction as of yet. As I don't have firsthand knowledge of what every team brings to the table. I will say I think these teams will match up well-The front runners being VC, Athens and Meigs. And I will agree there are several unproven players, who steps up will be fun to watch. December will be here before we know it and we will have the answers to all of our questions. Regardless there are going to be some Exciting games to watch in the TVC-OHIO this year...

dunkcity
Waterboy

Post by dunkcity »

VC is a power. Athens has several players that must have grown three inches since last year. No stars but there must be 8 players that have equal talent. Cozart, Albin, Saltzmen, Maxfield all have the same abilities and can be very good. Hines and Butcher are outstanding , Dickelman tough as they come. All these players have changed since last season. Chubb, Koska and Gerig are energetic. The key is this coaching staff that really knows how to build chemistry and win. The boys like each other. They might be predicted to be third or fourth but the season is long and almost all of them play football and the season is upon us. Bulldog football here we come.

thebarlowbandit
All State

So, you are saying Albin, Saltzmen and Maxfield are all as good as Cozart? I'd say you are high. Cozart is clearly the straw that will stir that drink and will control the tempo. Possible 1st Team All-State.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I think most would be in Agreement- Cozart Is the Focal point of this Athens team-proven scorer and scrappy player. No doubt he will have a Bullseye on him every game and the other teams number one defender will guard him. There are other proven scorers on the Athens team, Hynes and Maxfield for Example And Sophomore Butcher as well. However; there are other players who for whatever reason do not take many shots-Open looks even. This has to Change in my Opinion. Albin, Saltzman and Chubb need to get up more shots and get comfortable in upcoming scrimmages-Etc. All look to be great at passing the ball off but many times they should be taking the Shots. In this upcoming season When Cozart is Faceguarded or Defenses are geared to stop him. Someone is going to have to step up. The team needs Scorers. Just my 2 cents.

dunkcity
Waterboy

Post by dunkcity »

Most top players in Ohio rising seniors and juniors have been offered basketball scholarships by now. Has anyone decided or as to where they are attending college? Is it true that Ohio State and Michigan and Coastal Carolina visited Athens today?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:52 am So, you are saying Albin, Saltzmen and Maxfield are all as good as Cozart? I'd say you are high. Cozart is clearly the straw that will stir that drink and will control the tempo. Possible 1st Team All-State.
Athens should be interesting next year. Lose a very good scorer in Lutz but has a lot of young talent. I always thought Cubb could be one of the best players in the area. 6'3 guard that will probably end up 6'5. Butcher and Cubb have huge potential because of their size

Cozart 5'9 PG
Cubb 6'3 SG
Dickleman 6'5 SF
Butcher 6'3 PF
Hynes 6'3 C

Also have Albin, Mansfield, and Saltzman

thebarlowbandit
All State

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:55 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:52 am So, you are saying Albin, Saltzmen and Maxfield are all as good as Cozart? I'd say you are high. Cozart is clearly the straw that will stir that drink and will control the tempo. Possible 1st Team All-State.
Athens should be interesting next year. Lose a very good scorer in Lutz but has a lot of young talent. I always thought Cubb could be one of the best players in the area. 6'3 guard that will probably end up 6'5. Butcher and Cubb have huge potential because of their size

Cozart 5'9 PG
Cubb 6'3 SG
Dickleman 6'5 SF
Butcher 6'3 PF
Hynes 6'3 C

Also have Albin, Mansfield, and Saltzman
I think that lineup will be the one who finally can knock off Big Bad Blue.

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

Bulldogs have played like 45 games this spring. They will be better than last season. Actually for those who have watched the starting line up is Cozart 5'10" at the two , Saltzmen running the point at 6'2", Hines and Dicklelman up front at 6'3" Albin at 6'1", Chubb at 6'3" Butcher at 6'1" and huge. These are the actual sizes. Without the fans exagerations. Maxfield a solid 6 foot" All the parts are interchangeable. These fellow look for the open man. Since there is no one better than the other their team work is scary good. Cozart and Bobo have built a winner. Last year Cozart the player averaged 10 a game watch for three guys to do that easily. Hines and Butcher will battle for All State honors.Get ready for football. Bulldogs will do great.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I think we are onto something fun when each poster is guessing a players size. Some seem to go on last years listed heights, some actually have been around these kids and compare them and some just throw out numbers on a whim. Keep in mind a few of these players have actually grown since last year and there are still a few months left of growing until actual physical heights are listed for the programs Etc. With that being said I would like to list players and their projected heights come this Season just for fun and to see how close I can come once the Programs and Physicals are done. I have Cozart at 5'10", Saltzman at 6'2", Albin at 6' 1", Dickelman at 6'5", Hynes at 6'4", Butcher at 6'4", Chubb at 6'4", Maxfield at 6'1", Koska at 6'2", Gehrig at 6'1".

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

I believe most went to college football camps. The coaches have to be completely accurate. For recruiting sake.

Return to “Boys Basketball”