Athens Bulldogs 2017-2018

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Athens Bulldogs 2017-2018

Post by Raider6309 »

VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:18 pm
Truth&fiction wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:28 pm Athens is locked into the TVC schedule so it would be a little harder to schedule up . I would have thought they would have picked up a couple more better teams . Will this be the year they hang a L on Warren ? Good chance IMO.
I like this schedule. Logan is Division 1 and Very Strong and Athens plays them Twice. Gallia Academy is a strong team and will be hard to beat, Bishop Watterson and Morgan not sure what they have coming back and Warren is rebuilding. Add in VC and Meigs twice and Overall Athens has another Tough schedule that will prepare them for Tournament time...
I always give Logan a hard time but they look pretty good for next year. Should be a fun two games

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I wouldn't say it is a hard time. Might want to call it trolling. lol

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

noreply66 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:19 pm I wouldn't say it is a hard time. Might want to call it trolling. lol
Me troll? No hahaha

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Word on the street. Athens may have some new and exciting additions to Varsity Roster-possible transfer. Who is in the know??

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

VisionQuest wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:36 pm Word on the street. Athens may have some new and exciting additions to Varsity Roster-possible transfer. Who is in the know??
Idk. Twitter had a pic from summer league. Saw two kids i didnt remember from last season

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

VisionQuest wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:36 pm Word on the street. Athens may have some new and exciting additions to Varsity Roster-possible transfer. Who is in the know??
Transfer is a kid from Georgia. Junior Elijah Williams. About 5'10, super quick. Watched him for a little while down at the rec playing with some returning players from Athens. Hasn't been able to play organized high school basketball since his former school didn't offer it - but he played in junior high and AAU. Probably needs to work on his outside shot a little, but ball handling and quickness is superb. I would classify him as pure raw talent that possess ability and skill that can't be taught. The other stuff coach Cozart can teach and coach into him.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:46 pm
Transfer is a kid from Georgia. Junior Elijah Williams. About 5'10, super quick. Watched him for a little while down at the rec playing with some returning players from Athens. Hasn't been able to play organized high school basketball since his former school didn't offer it - but he played in junior high and AAU. Probably needs to work on his outside shot a little, but ball handling and quickness is superb. I would classify him as pure raw talent that possess ability and skill that can't be taught. The other stuff coach Cozart can teach and coach into him.
Thanks for the info Bulldog. Athens definitely can use some speed and if this kid sticks around he could make that Junior class even better. Hopefully he can make an immediate impact this Season.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Please Dog do not take me wrong but I'm pretty sure I saw your transfer a few weeks back and he does have some quickness but looked to be about 9th or 10th man from what you have returning and that is how he was rotated by Coach Cozart. Not playing first 2 years of HS ball is a shame if he has raw talent . Good luck to the young man and your Bulldogs.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Truth&fiction wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:22 pm
Please Dog do not take me wrong but I'm pretty sure I saw your transfer a few weeks back and he does have some quickness but looked to be about 9th or 10th man from what you have returning and that is how he was rotated by Coach Cozart. Not playing first 2 years of HS ball is a shame if he has raw talent . Good luck to the young man and your Bulldogs.
May I ask where you may have saw this transfer? Was it at Summer League or The OU Camp?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I'm pretty sure he just moved in a few weeks ago. How would he have been 'rotated' in anything? Athens has been done with summer camps and shootouts for more than two weeks.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I (nor anyone really) will have any idea how good he is (or can be) until he gets on the floor with teammates facing competition. From the short time I watched him, he has a skill set that can't be taught - and if he works on his game (doesn't play football, btw) and is coached up - he will probably not be a 9th or 10th man.

With that kind of speed and quickness - he can be one of the best 'on ball' defenders in the league from day 1, imo.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

VisionQuest wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:59 pm
Truth&fiction wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:22 pm

May I ask where you may have saw this transfer? Was it at Summer League or The OU Camp?
I must have been mistaken . Thought I saw a player at OU Team Camp I had not seen before . I know that the Bulldogs can go 8 or 9 deep so where would he fit in the rotation . Sorry if I came off wrong. Look for some good things from your Bulldogs.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Good question.

Sometimes you just don't know. Patrick Kivlehan of the Cincinnati reds was a football player at Rutgers. Decided after his junior year, after not playing organized baseball for four years, to pick up a glove and was the AAC player for the year his senior season. Was drafted by the Reds and is now a major leaguer. Anotonio Gates and Jimmy Grahm were college basketball players, drafted by the NFL and became pro bowlers. With pure raw talent and inexperience - you just never know how an athlete will progress. The kid could end up being the starting PG and in the running for POY by season end - or - could end up being the 8th or 9th man off the bench. lol

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

In my opinion, I believe the transfer will be limited on time in his first season, I don't see Cozart risking a big flare up of someone new coming in giving him a spot over top of players he has had all the way up since pee wee league, I feel that would cause some issues between players and also in parents. Now maybe next year I could see things change.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

tvc_fan wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:37 pm In my opinion, I believe the transfer will be limited on time in his first season, I don't see Cozart risking a big flare up of someone new coming in giving him a spot over top of players he has had all the way up since pee wee league, I feel that would cause some issues between players and also in parents. Now maybe next year I could see things change.
You play your best players, period. That's what good coaches do.

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:57 pm
tvc_fan wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:37 pm In my opinion, I believe the transfer will be limited on time in his first season, I don't see Cozart risking a big flare up of someone new coming in giving him a spot over top of players he has had all the way up since pee wee league, I feel that would cause some issues between players and also in parents. Now maybe next year I could see things change.
You play your best players, period. That's what good coaches do.
I do agree with that and many coaches that hasn't coached the same group of boys the last 7 or 8 years might, But will Cozart?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

There are some good points brought up In these recent posts. Who does a Coach play?? Is it really the best player that makes the start for some Coaches or do "politics" come into play? Does a coach feel "obligated" to start an average Senior player over an above average underclassmen?? Sounds like a good "New Topic" to start. I have to believe a Coach wants to win and should start his best players-but I am not Nieve enough to believe that "outside pressures" don't come into play for these coaches from Parents, alumni and Fans-Etc...I for one wouldn't want that position. I think no matter what a Coach does-someone will not be happy with the amount of playing time their kid gets.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Its all about who you are as a person & what kind of personality you posses. Howie doesnt give a darn what your name is, who you are, who your parents are or what grade your in. He plays the best & whoever hustles & tries hard. And you cant really argue with his success.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

If a coach wants to continue to coach at his or hers present school they walk a thin line . First they must win and to win you play your best players the majority of the game . Second you have to keep MOST of the involved happy and satisfied. Third they need to coach without being partial . There could be a debate on which is harder. Most coaches would like a lot of talent with someone stepping up if foul trouble or injury happens but relies on 5 or 6 players with the rest as minimal role players and that makes it harder to keep your 6,7,8,9 &10 happy . Best advice play your best players as long as they are available but then again You might have to have the JV team available to practice against . Coaching sometimes is not as easy as some thinks.

SportsRule
Freshman Team

Post by SportsRule »

And who the best players are is always a matter of opinion and the only opinion that counts is the coach that works with him every day, not some armchair self declared experts who have never coached a day a day in their lives.

Return to “Boys Basketball”