Athens Bulldogs 2017-2018

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Athens Bulldogs 2017-2018

Post by 93Bulldog »

SportsRule wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:18 pm And who the best players are is always a matter of opinion and the only opinion that counts is the coach that works with him every day, not some armchair self declared experts who have never coached a day a day in their lives.
Agreed. But ive watched tons of games over the years where it was painfully obvious the coaches 'oppinion' was flawed, whether it was because of politics, family or whatever. I think that is what the previous post was pointing out.

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

Sometimes it's not about the best players all in there together, but the best group of players, ones that knows each others tendencies, can see certain things just by habits of playing together for so long. So it's a huge decision to be made, and the only way to determine that is in games, you can't really determine that in practices going against 6, 7, 8,9 &10....So deciding what to do really isn't easy...Because from all I have heard from everyone on here is they are pretty happy with what they had before said transfer came in...I just don't see him coming in and taking over a starting spot and getting more minutes then others that has put their 3 years in as a high school player with the same group of kids. yes possibly lead to something in the 2nd half of the season.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I bet if a transfer was 6'6 & could throw it down a coach would make spot for him pretty quick. ;)

Like I said, a good coach plays his or her best players & its his or her job to incorporate those players & put the best team possible on the floor. If there are chemistry problems, then yes, its understandable if the best aren't out there. But when talking about transfers, its premature to make that assumption when its not even football season yet.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:12 pm I bet if a transfer was 6'6 & could throw it down a coach would make spot for him pretty quick. ;)

Like I said, a good coach plays his or her best players & its his or her job to incorporate those players & put the best team possible on the floor. If there are chemistry problems, then yes, its understandable if the best aren't out there. But when talking about transfers, its premature to make that assumption when its not even football season yet.
Like Trae Williams. He transferred into a 10-0 team. We found him a spot lol

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Coaches know who they can rely on . They see how much time they put in and whether they are committed to his style . Not sure about the comment on arm chair coaching . There are a lot of knowledgeable people on SEOP that have coached , officiated and played the game of Basketball along with broadcasting hundreds of games so I do not think arm chair coaching is an issue. One of the hardest part of coaching is making a timely substitution that makes you look like a genius . SOME WILL NEVER SEE EYE TO EYE WITH A COACHES OPINION , but he's the man in charge and last I heard that's why he gets paid the big bucks. LOL

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Truth&fiction wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:28 pm Coaches know who they can rely on . They see how much time they put in and whether they are committed to his style . Not sure about the comment on arm chair coaching . There are a lot of knowledgeable people on SEOP that have coached , officiated and played the game of Basketball along with broadcasting hundreds of games so I do not think arm chair coaching is an issue. One of the hardest part of coaching is making a timely substitution that makes you look like a genius . SOME WILL NEVER SEE EYE TO EYE WITH A COACHES OPINION , but he's the man in charge and last I heard that's why he gets paid the big bucks. LOL
Yeah, like last year. Maddox looked like he didn't scout Logan Elm and he's one of the better coaches in the area

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

What A Buzz this new Transfer is causing and hasn't even stepped on the Court other than Open Gyms. Personally from what I have seen of Cozart. I think he will put his best players on the floor taking into account the opposing team. I look for different starting rotations occasionally. He has a lot to work with this year and definitely next year. He will have big bodies and also speed.It Will be interesting to watch-how he mixes things up. That could be his biggest weapon and a headache for opposing coaches to scout Athens.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I like what the Fairfield Union coach did with Evan Conley the Point Guard transfer from Fairfield Christian. The young man had to sit out the 1st half of the season due to Transfer Rules- but when he became eligible I don't believe he started any games but was usually the 6th man and played a majority of minutes-Even though he was clearly a Starting 5 caliber player.

Johnstown
Riding the Bench

Post by Johnstown »

Coaches Cozart and Bobo will figure out how to put a solid program on the floor which includes who. The Athens squad has a lot of size, experience,mental toughness and the IT factor to win. Coach Cozart and Bobo are skilled, fearless coaches that are well loved by the squad.Football and AAU makes them battle tested. Exciting year.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Johnstown wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:44 am Coaches Cozart and Bobo will figure out how to put a solid program on the floor which includes who. The Athens squad has a lot of size, experience,mental toughness and the IT factor to win. Coach Cozart and Bobo are skilled, fearless coaches that are well loved by the squad.Football and AAU makes them battle tested. Exciting year.
Who is Bobo?? What is his history and credentials?? Don't know much about him other than he is new JV coach and Assistant to Coach Cozart.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Bobo was one helluva basketball player back in his day - I can tell you that much about him.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:23 am Bobo was one helluva basketball player back in his day - I can tell you that much about him.
Gallia?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

No goof ball. Fed Hock. Lol

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:44 pm
Truth&fiction wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:28 pm Coaches know who they can rely on . They see how much time they put in and whether they are committed to his style . Not sure about the comment on arm chair coaching . There are a lot of knowledgeable people on SEOP that have coached , officiated and played the game of Basketball along with broadcasting hundreds of games so I do not think arm chair coaching is an issue. One of the hardest part of coaching is making a timely substitution that makes you look like a genius . SOME WILL NEVER SEE EYE TO EYE WITH A COACHES OPINION , but he's the man in charge and last I heard that's why he gets paid the big bucks. LOL
Yeah, like last year. Maddox looked like he didn't scout Logan Elm and he's one of the better coaches in the area
The Maddox /Stiverson matchups are always fun to watch . Last year Tourney Ridge Young just had one of those unbelievable games and his team fed off of that . Warren played pretty darn good but LE just a little better . I think Maddox knew what they were in for , just could not stop it. Gotta love Ohio High School sports!!!!!

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

From what I heard I think Chase Wiehl and Josh Huffman from Warren were injured in that game-If so, I am sure that played a factor-not to take anything away from Ridge Young and LE...

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

VisionQuest wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:49 am From what I heard I think Chase Wiehl and Josh Huffman from Warren were injured in that game-If so, I am sure that played a factor-not to take anything away from Ridge Young and LE...
I think you are correct. They played but did not appear 100%. Warren had no answer for Young . He started out taking the ball to the hoop and then went to his deep ball then mixed them the second half . Dennis tried to keep them in it and he had a nice game but the rest of LE FED OFF YOUNG . Fantastic
game to watch. I think Young had 43 on the night.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

VisionQuest wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:48 pm What A Buzz this new Transfer is causing and hasn't even stepped on the Court other than Open Gyms. Personally from what I have seen of Cozart. I think he will put his best players on the floor taking into account the opposing team. I look for different starting rotations occasionally. He has a lot to work with this year and definitely next year. He will have big bodies and also speed.It Will be interesting to watch-how he mixes things up. That could be his biggest weapon and a headache for opposing coaches to scout Athens.
I remember mid season when Coach Cozart mixed up the rotation and Vision Quest went on a rampage calling out the coaches. Best guess was he didn't like that new rotation when Jr. Quest got slid down a notch or two. That was best entertainment on Preps all last year.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Cozart was Bobo's backup at Fed back in the day. Now Cozart will be learning from the master yet again.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Oh Barlow how you love to Embellish and TROLL. Funny how you hid under a rock when the Big Bad Blue the number 2 seed got taken out by a young man named Young and Logan Elm a number 6 seed. You rear your ugly head once again talking of things you nothing about. At least you keep things Laughable when you talk Non-Sense.

thebarlowbandit
All State

VisionQuest wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:54 am Oh Barlow how you love to Embellish and TROLL. Funny how you hid under a rock when the Big Bad Blue the number 2 seed got taken out by a young man named Young and Logan Elm a number 6 seed. You rear your ugly head once again talking of things you nothing about. At least you keep things Laughable when you talk Non-Sense.
Embellish? We can pull the past threads out if you'd like. And typical jealous fan, takes pleasure in someone else doing what your team isn't capable of! Coach Stiverson does a great job! Man has proven he can coach! What have you guys proven? That you can win one more game with a healthy star than you did when he missed half a year.

Return to “Boys Basketball”