How do you feel about areas around Ohio in small areas with multiple schools forming one county school?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: How do you feel about areas around Ohio in small areas with multiple schools forming one county school?

Post by EasternDspy »

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:57 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:53 pm Fort Frye/ Waterford consolidation would be great.
Why thou would them combining move them up divisions or anything? and they're both competitive right now
Still be D5 and would be a fun D5 school to watch.

Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Re: How do you feel about areas around Ohio in small areas with multiple schools forming one county school?

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

GalliaGrad78 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:26 pm "Look at Gallia Academy, shutting down their athletics very soon because they don't have the funds in the budget"

Where did that info come from, Ironmen#2588?
I was told from a very good family friend that lives in gallia. very reliable source. I hope it doesn't happen galliagrad78, gallia still has some good athletic programs in other sports but also a good tradition. But look at the economy with everything going on, it's going to come to schools combining into one school in areas like gallia. like south gallia, river valley and galliapolis and making it into gallia county high school.

Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

It would just be interesting to see how schools and areas would thrive and how much better and different if their were county schools.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

No! No! And No!
That's what I think

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:53 pm No! No! And No!
That's what I think
What's your reasoning for being against it?

bucks_09
Freshman Team

Post by bucks_09 »

Ironmen#2588 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:00 pm For example, jackson has 2 high schools in one county. Wellston and Oak hill. They come together and forming Jackson County high school. Yes they would be a Div 1 or 2. Everyone shops in jackson already and comes to jackson on a daily basis. wellston can barely stay alive and the village of oak hill isn't much better.

Look at Gallia Academy, shutting down their athletics very soon because they don't have the funds in the budget. If they are then the other schools in that county that are even smaller and have less money aren't much farther behind them like South Gallia and River Valley.

You do this in only areas like ours in southern Ohio. like scioto, Lawrence, gallia, Adams, hocking, Athens, Ross, meigs. It will happen in the future with the economy and everything, a lot of areas are struggling.

What's your thoughts?
Jackson county has 3 high schools.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Ironmen#2588 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:55 pm
That's what I think
These small schools are in small communities and those small communities rally around those small schools.

Take Trimble, a small D7 school. The entire township Rally's around that school and all their sports.
The same goes for Nelsonville-York.
I can name many many more.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:59 pm
That's what I think
These small schools are in small communities and those small communities rally around those small schools.

Take Trimble, a small D7 school. The entire township Rally's around that school and all their sports.
I understand and respect that, but how much longer are those schools going to last?
Why not bring both Trimble and Nelsonville schools together. That would be a very tough D5 school. They both have good programs, good friend of mine, is son in on the Oline at Trimble. Good kid.

Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

bucks_09 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:59 pm
Ironmen#2588 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:00 pm For example, jackson has 2 high schools in one county. Wellston and Oak hill. They come together and forming Jackson County high school. Yes they would be a Div 1 or 2. Everyone shops in jackson already and comes to jackson on a daily basis. wellston can barely stay alive and the village of oak hill isn't much better.

Look at Gallia Academy, shutting down their athletics very soon because they don't have the funds in the budget. If they are then the other schools in that county that are even smaller and have less money aren't much farther behind them like South Gallia and River Valley.

You do this in only areas like ours in southern Ohio. like scioto, Lawrence, gallia, Adams, hocking, Athens, Ross, meigs. It will happen in the future with the economy and everything, a lot of areas are struggling.

What's your thoughts?
Jackson county has 3 high schools.
Yes. Jackson, wellston, and oak hill

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

That's what I think
butchel bucking tomcats

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Ironmen#2588 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:10 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:59 pm

Take Trsimble, a small D7 school. The entire township Rally's around that school and all their sports.
I understand and respect that, but how much longer are those schools going to last?
Why not bring both Trimble and Nelsonville schools together. That would be a very tough D5 school. They both have good programs, good friend of mine, is son in on the Oline at Trimble. Good kid.
As it is now, Trimble is a solid D7 school and NY is a solid D6 school.
Trimble will be fine. They aren't going anywhere and Nelsonville-York is just fine as well.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Great for students who live close. Those way out long bus rides of over 2 hours a day. How many people enjoy driving that to go to work. Then the cost of buses and drivers. Where now many have passed a levy to pay for new schools. So moving and having to pay to expand another school while still paying of the other great idea. With technology smaller schools can combine to offer classes just like at big schools. Small schools like Cheers where everyone knows your name. Big schools the popular kids then whatever their name is.

If you are looking at it to have a powerhouse sports team only then I hope you are not the person making the decision. Just like Ports East didn't care that the decision was made to get rid of their school. They went a different route. Charter and private schools will pop up or expand. Not to mention the home school students.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

If all schools went to just 1 county school. Schedules would be tough as well as long travel for games.

Kendog029
Freshman Team

Post by Kendog029 »

BAD IDEA!
I come from West Virginia where a lot of consolidations have occurred. It sounds good in theory but it comes down to it only 11 players can get on field at a time in football 5 in basketball 9 baseball so on so forth. I watched schools in West Virginia that were both power teams in football go to being bottom dwellers in big schools. Same amount of kids on field just more on sidelines. Kids will lose scholarships because they won't get to play as much. Saw it happen. The area I'm from had Ryan Switzer on school that closed. Consolidated and he couldn't get a shot on field, transferred to different school and became West Virginia player of year went on to play at UNC start 3 years and now plays for cowboys in NFL. Had he stayed at condolidated school may never have happened. This is just one of many many horror stories that happen. Not to mention the huge class sizes that teachers can't possibly keep all the kids on same level of learning.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Poo Bear wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:58 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:53 pm Fort Frye/ Waterford consolidation would be great.
Why thou would them combining move them up divisions or anything? and they're both competitive right now
Wellston / Jackson ? Would still be a big d3 ??

If Jackson and wellston consolidated, they would be DII. very close to Logan numbers. If the kids in ge city of wellston went to VC and outside of the city when to Jackson, they would possibly stay in DII. But that would be the only way.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

My thoughts on consolidation based on observations from Ky and WV.

Consolidation makes economic sense.

Consolidation does not necessarily make for better education outcomes.

Consolidation can cause loss of community identity.

Consolidation more often than not does not make for more competitive athletic teams.

Bottom line for consolidation is the bottom line. It is all about the money or lack of it.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

Dundas wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:36 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:58 pm

Wellston / Jackson ? Would still be a big d3 ??

If Jackson and wellston consolidated, they would be DII. very close to Logan numbers. If the kids in ge city of wellston went to VC and outside of the city when to Jackson, they would possibly stay in DII. But that would be the only way.
Jackson used to be in D2 region 8 back in 04 and before that.
But if you add just jackson and wellston together, what would you do with oak hill, they would stay down at div 5 or 6 or 7?

Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

Omega wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:48 pm My thoughts on consolidation based on observations from Ky and WV.

Consolidation more often than not does not make for more competitive athletic teams.

Bottom line for consolidation is the bottom line. It is all about the money or lack of it.
Really kind of the point for this forum. Would it best for the community and the county. hard when you have multiple schools in a county but majority of the money that's going into the schools, let's say 75% is going into the biggest or 2 biggest schools while 25% to the smaller schools.
Yes athletics would thrive pretty well. But more reason because of economic sense.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Ironmen#2588 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:57 pm
Omega wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:48 pm My thoughts on consolidation based on observations from Ky and WV.

Really kind of the point for this forum. Would it best for the community and the county. hard when you have multiple schools in a county but majority of the money that's going into the schools, let's say 75% is going into the biggest or 2 biggest schools while 25% to the smaller schools.
Yes athletics would thrive pretty well. But more reason because of economic sense.
Funding isn't determined by county. It's determined by school district.
Yes, schools with more students get more money but they also have more expenses.
In Southeastern Ohio, having more money based on pupil count isn't going to make things better. Most school districts can't get a decent levy passed to make up the difference so they have the funding they need and consolidating isn't going to change that.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:03 pm
Ironmen#2588 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:57 pm

Funding isn't determined by county. It's determined by school district.
Yes, schools with more students get more money but they also have more expenses.
In Southeastern Ohio, having more money based on pupil count isn't going to make things better. Most school districts can't get a decent levy passed to make up the difference so they have the funding they need and consolidating isn't going to change that.
So you don't think the money that the community/county puts towards the school makes a difference in the funding?

Return to “Football”