Hillsboro(6) @ (28)Jackson

ironman02
SEOP

Re: FAC Wk 8 Jackson @ Hillsboro

Post by ironman02 »

The 1996 game is definitely a great memory. With the wind and rain/sleet/slow, it was miserable, but ended up being a good night to be an Ironman. TJ Turner was unbelievable for Hillsboro though. He had to have had like 20 tackles. That was Jackson's 1st playoff win, and is probably still their best team in school history.

As others have mentioned, I think this week's game might turn into a shootout. Hopefully Jackson will get some guys back from injury, which should help things on the defensive side of the ball a lot, but Hillsboro still has a very formidable offense. Both teams obviously need this win to keep playoff hopes alive, and a second FAC loss would knock Hillsboro out of contention for the conference title. Definitely a high stakes game.

Really wish that I could make the trip to Hillsboro. I remember watching Jackson/Kings Mills there in 2003. Some of the most delicious concession stand food I have ever had.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

An interesting story line to this game to consider may be along the lines of two old school coaches matching wits and the chess match on how to counter each others game plan.

Coach Jack O'Rourke for Hillsboro as I understand it is old school and will run a triple option style offense, and from some of the points they have put up this year (average 40 ppg with a couple over 55 I think) they definitely run it well. To score an average of 40 with a run type offense means they do it well and gash some big gains it would appear. To counter that defensive Coach Larry Hall for Jackson will need to perhaps make some moves to try and slow them down. In the past we have ran a stacked 3 type of front, It will be interesting to see if we go to a "heavier" front 5 or what he does.

Of course O'Rourke knows we will probably do something to match up to his offense, so one wonders if he will make any adjustments to what he thinks we will do lol. My understanding is they seldom throw it, but will they try something different in the first series thinking we won't expect that, and with one of our best corners out? I always find it interesting the behind the scenes adjustments that are made in practice the week of the game and even during the game.

I know O'Rourke coached at Vinton County in the mid 90's. From my understanding there is a Jackson poster that may have played for him that can give us some insight into his coaching style lol. I am sure this poster will tell you he was probably one of the best athletes that played for O'Rourke at VC.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

doubleplay643 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:31 pm An interesting story line to this game to consider may be along the lines of two old school coaches matching wits and the chess match on how to counter each others game plan.

Coach Jack O'Rourke for Hillsboro as I understand it is old school and will run a triple option style offense, and from some of the points they have put up this year (average 40 ppg with a couple over 55 I think) they definitely run it well. To score an average of 40 with a run type offense means they do it well and gash some big gains it would appear. To counter that defensive Coach Larry Hall for Jackson will need to perhaps make some moves to try and slow them down. In the past we have ran a stacked 3 type of front, It will be interesting to see if we go to a "heavier" front 5 or what he does.

Of course O'Rourke knows we will probably do something to match up to his offense, so one wonders if he will make any adjustments to what he thinks we will do lol. My understanding is they seldom throw it, but will they try something different in the first series thinking we won't expect that, and with one of our best corners out? I always find it interesting the behind the scenes adjustments that are made in practice the week of the game and even during the game.

I know O'Rourke coached at Vinton County in the mid 90's. From my understanding there is a Jackson poster that may have played for him that can give us some insight into his coaching style lol. I am sure this poster will tell you he was probably one of the best athletes that played for O'Rourke at VC.
Good athlete but very unhandsome

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Jackson by 14

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
BlueDevilfan87
Waterboy

Post by BlueDevilfan87 »

Poo Bear wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:38 pm
BlueDevilfan87 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:28 pm If Jackson plays like they did against WCH then I'm taking Hillsboro. Jackson is a good team, but they're aren't consistent from game to game. they're doing enough to get the job done. They likely make the play-offs but also will likely lose in the 1st round.

Even with all those starters out they held courthouse to 14 points on defense. Hillsboro allowed 34

But agree will be a war in the trenches
and we both know full well that WCH helped Jackson out......a few plays in error of WCH would have easily mounted 34 pts on jackson. Also, Jackson allowed 20 points in the WCH game.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

BlueDevilfan87 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:02 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:38 pm
BlueDevilfan87 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:28 pm If Jackson plays like they did against WCH then I'm taking Hillsboro. Jackson is a good team, but they're aren't consistent from game to game. they're doing enough to get the job done. They likely make the play-offs but also will likely lose in the 1st round.

Even with all those starters out they held courthouse to 14 points on defense. Hillsboro allowed 34

But agree will be a war in the trenches
and we both know full well that WCH helped Jackson out......a few plays in error of WCH would have easily mounted 34 pts on jackson. Also, Jackson allowed 20 points in the WCH game.
We'll can't pin a pick 6 on the def but anyways. Jackson had 2 tds called back on very questionable penalties in which they didn't score on, so they could've easily scored 42 plus points . But who cares about CH this is between Jackson and Hillsboro .

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Any Hillsboro posters on here? If so do you have a lot of players going both ways? Especially line players? Think this game will come down to the play in the trenches and both teams depth there, with a few big breakout plays or special teams type of plays scattered in that will decide the contest.

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

Hillsboro 38-33

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
IronTough2
Riding the Bench

Post by IronTough2 »

Going to be a fast football game with the ground games of these teams. A turnover could cost either team. Ironmen will take care of the football and get it done. Got some guys healthier this week that will sure up our defense. Defense may bend, but won't break. Ironmen get the win!

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

Hillsboro doesnt' have great depth but not all there players go both ways. I really feel this will be 1 touchdown game should be a good 1 to watch

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I would think Jackson should win but Hillsboro is having a good season. Jackson 35 Hillsboro 21

juicebox
Riding the Bench

Post by juicebox »

Another easy game for the tinmen.

wchreidman
Freshman Team

Post by wchreidman »

Ironmen#2588 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:05 pm
wchreidman wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:03 pm Good Luck should be a good game and the the running backs for both teams are good.
Which running backs do you think will make the biggest difference and matter the most?
I think 24 for Hillsboro if he is able to run outside then It will open up the inside running of 44. I think 24 is the biggest impact player.Hillsboro will have to complete some passes to keep Jackson honest. If they don't could be trouble.

If Jackson runs the ball and effectively gets there passing game going this game wont be close.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Jackson 28 - Hillsboro 6

Solid effort by the Ironmen tonight. The key play of the game was a scoop and score by Matt Humphreys just before halftime to open up a 21-6 lead for the Ironmen. Hopefully Jackson can continue to get healthy, take care of business at home against McClain, and set up a showdown with Chillicothe in Week 10 with everything on the line.

Keets and Burns sound like the real deal for Hillsboro. Both very good backs.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Nice road win and game for the Ironmen

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

McCoy 29 carries 195 yd 3 TD
Graham 6 carries 56 yards
Haller 6 carries 25 yd

Keets 14 carries for 66 yards
Burns 7 carries 24 yards

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Nice win for the Ironmen.

24sevenfootball
Riding the Bench

Post by 24sevenfootball »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:23 pm McCoy 29 carries 195 yd 3 TD
Haller 6 carries 25 yd

Burns 7 carries 24 yards
What is the single rushing record? McCoy has to be closing in on that. I believe he is around 1500 yards rushing

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

The single season rushing record was set by Shane Wolford in 1997. It's somewhere around 2,200 yards in 11 games. He went over 2,000 in the regular season. I think McCoy is closing in on 1,300 for the season, so he's probably not gonna make it. Still a VERY impressive season for him, and he's not finished yet.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

24sevenfootball wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:57 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:23 pm McCoy 29 carries 195 yd 3 TD
Haller 6 carries 25 yd

Burns 7 carries 24 yards
What is the single rushing record? McCoy has to be closing in on that. I believe he is around 1500 yards rushing
I thought he was close too but radio last week stated he was at 1,077 for season and had 195 tonight for 1272 total.

I'm old and probably misremembering...Ironman02 can probably pin point a little better

Shane Wolford had around 2150 in regular season in 1997

Randy Ridge had just over 1800 back in 1973 I think.

Todd Bachtel had over 1650 yards I think in 1987 and might have been over 1500 in 1986 as well.

Marty Exline was definitely over 1500 in 1990 and might have been in 89 as well.

In my head Wolford might have surpassed 1500 in 1996 but had several backs carry for good yardage.

I think David Swisher may have surpassed it in 2001

Klay Arthur had big season but I don't think the 1500 mark

Jared Humphreys put up big numbers as QB but not sure he ever touched 1500, maybe 1200

I believe great QB Joey Boggs had 1200+ as a sophomore tailback

Lots of big names in 70's and early 80's but never have heard a number for their great seasons

Bobby Exline from early 50's went and played at OSU...but have never heard a rushing number

Return to “Football”