OSSCA Poll 10/9/17

Tower
JV Team

OSSCA Poll 10/9/17

Post by Tower »

Congrats Northwest remaining in polls. Still think they should be in top 10 though.
Amazed that a team this late in season that has not won half their games remain in polls.

Did not see Wheelersburg girls there after their tie last week. Remain undefeated and tied a good Alexander team. Keep your heads up girls.

I know I shouldn't get frustrated about polls because it is political and geographical, but I still doget frustrated. Really wish they would post who votes, where they are from and who they vote for.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: OSSCA Poll 10/9/17

Post by Chieftain2009 »

GoAt 10
JV Team

Post by GoAt 10 »

I'm ok with the boys side for D3. Unlike area coaches around here, whoever votes on this poll takes strength of schedule into consideration. Northwest is 14-0 with somewhat easier schedule, and as we seen with burg girls 1 tie got them off the list. Worthington Christian is at 6-4-3 but their strength of schedule would blow any SE district teams out of the water. Losses to Mansfield and Dayton Christian and a tie to grandview heights all teams on the top 10 poll.

Now burg girls off the list gets to me. They tied a good team (Alexander) that is 9-1-4 with some quality teams on their schedule. I'm not a burg fan, simply a fan of our area teams in

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

The biggest question for me, for posters on here, would be, do you know how the ossca poll works? That's not said with attitude either, I mean it literal. It's an odd poll, so I think if everyone understands how the poll works, then it makes it easier.

GoAt 10
JV Team

Post by GoAt 10 »

Falcon01 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:49 pm The biggest question for me, for posters on here, would be, do you know how the ossca poll works? That's not said with attitude either, I mean it literal. It's an odd poll, so I think if everyone understands how the poll works, then it makes it easier.
Well go on.. explain it!

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Alright. So the quick and easy way..
Each district and each division, is given a rep. So for SE girls there is a d2 and d3 rep. That rep is asked to nominate up to 3 teams each week. Explain why they are in their top 3 and can put wins and losses or stats in there. So each district in the state does that.
Now you get to the state vote. The coaches log in, they see each districts top 3. They then vote on a top 10. Coaches are asked not to vote out of order from a district. So if a district votes a team 1, then you vote them ahead of the other 2 in the state poll.

So politicing isn't as plausible. Now a district rep COULD vote his top 3 1,2,3. I will say this, most the coaches that vote do a great job of studying up on ossca. I always like to look at final poll and compare it to final 16 or so. See how coaches did.

ALLthatJAZZ
Riding the Bench

Post by ALLthatJAZZ »

I think it all boils down to if you want to be ranked by someone, you have to beat someone who these coaches respect and know to be tough opponents. Otherwise they don't really care about your record. I've seen it happen for the last 15 years lol

Tower
JV Team

Post by Tower »

Falcon01 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:02 pm Alright. So the quick and easy way..
Each district and each division, is given a rep. So for SE girls there is a d2 and d3 rep. That rep is asked to nominate up to 3 teams each week. Explain why they are in their top 3 and can put wins and losses or stats in there. So each district in the state does that.
Now you get to the state vote. The coaches log in, they see each districts top 3. They then vote on a top 10. Coaches are asked not to vote out of order from a district. So if a district votes a team 1, then you vote them ahead of the other 2 in the state poll.

So politicing isn't as plausible. Now a district rep COULD vote his top 3 1,2,3. I will say this, most the coaches that vote do a great job of studying up on ossca. I always like to look at final poll and compare it to final 16 or so. See how coaches did.
Still have questions? If SE gets 3 nominees, does SW get 3 or more? SW boys DIII has 5 teams ranked. Who are the coaches voting? Does each district get same # coaches voting? How does a coach get selected to vote?
If each district doesn't have equal representation couldnt that lead to politicing?

lovesoccer178
Waterboy

Post by lovesoccer178 »

The polls are the coaches association poll which is split up into 10 districts. That is different from the OHSAA which only has 5.
The 10 districts are
Northwest
Northeast
North Central
Central
Cleveland
Youngstown
Akron
Miami Valley
Southeast
East

Each coaches association district can nominate 3 teams to be ranked. The OHSAA SW District includes the SW and Miami Valley so there could be up to 6 teams ranked from the OHSAA SW district (3 from MV and 3 from SW).

I don't know how each coaches association picks their representative, but many of them have been the voter for years. Our district sent out an email a couple years ago to find someone.

Each rep will nominate 3, and then later vote on the top ten.
So if all 10 reps vote Summit Country Day as number one (10pts) that gives the 100 pts you see in the polls.

Northwest has been getting a handful of votes in the polls so that means several coaches are voting them in the ten spot (1pt each) or a single rep is voting them pretty high. Or anything in between. There is no way to see that information

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

^yup

ALLthatJAZZ
Riding the Bench

Post by ALLthatJAZZ »

Ditto...

Gview
Freshman Team

Post by Gview »

1. Each district (there are 10 districts in the state) is asked to provide one voting representative per division per gender.
2. Each district is permitted to nominate up to 3 teams per division per gender for top ten consideration.
a. Each district determines how the top three teams will be selected. There are some districts that use their local newspaper poll
and others have a group of local coaches vote on who the top three teams should be.
3. Teams nominated for consideration are sent to the divisional chair and all the information is put together and shared with all the voters (this is all done online so there is no more the chair to do this).
a. The nominations occur on Friday, except for the final poll which everything is done on Sunday.
b. Representatives have the right not to nominate teams if they fell they are not worthy of Top Ten consideration.
c. Friday was selected because waiting until Sunday to complete the entire poll simply takes too long. The OSSCA must nominate
teams on Sunday’s for consideration for Regional and National Poll.
d. The OSSCA realizes records may be different because of games on Saturday, but to meet deadlines it is important to stay with
Friday as the nomination date. Saturday games will be considered in the next week’s poll.
4. Voting takes place on Sunday morning, all votes must be in by noon. Representatives that do not meet the deadline will not have their vote count in that week’s poll.
5. Teams do not have to take part in the OHSAA tournament to be ranked; they simply need to be members of the OSSCA and nominated for consideration.

Tower
JV Team

Post by Tower »

When does next poll come out? I have not seen it.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

The "final" poll is usually mid to late week. Just looked back and last year it was on Friday.

Return to “Soccer”