Ironton Wrestling Started

coach knows
Freshman Team

Ironton Wrestling Started

Post by coach knows »

Ironton is starting a wrestling program up again at the high school. It has been a long time since this program has taken place at the high school. I am hoping the football coaches are pushing their kids to participate in this sport. There is not any better conditioning program that you could want for your football players.

How many schools have wrestling around this area?

laser breath
Varsity

Re: Ironton Wrestling Started

Post by laser breath »

Wrestling is great but I don't think it's as valuable as it once was. Most high schools carry a weight and conditioning program year round that has incorporated a lot more than just lifting weights, such as agility training. As far as schools, I think south point, Chesapeake, and possibly Fairland. No Scioto county team has a program to my knowledge.

coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

If you have ever wrestled for 6 minutes you would say what football teams do in the off season cannot touch it. Trust me it is the most demanding sport I have ever seen.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I think wrestling is a great sport for a lot of football players not all. And some football coaches won't push ir for certain kids. i mean you have a undersized line. you have a kid you work all spring and summer to get him up to like 240lbs. Kid starts wrestling he doesn't want to wrestle heavyweight 285. So kid cuts weight to make 220. Football coach frustrated.

If ironton starts wrestling then everyone in OVC will have it besides rock hill, coal grove and portsmouth.( south point started wrestling last year i think it was).
Not sure any SOC school has wrestling. trying to think of team off top of my head. ( i know that waverly was looking for a coach.)
Think most SVC schools do the exception may be piketon and maybe one more.
All teams in new frontier conference have it.
And i think 15 TVC teams have it.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

svac83 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:41 am I think wrestling is a great sport for a lot of football players not all. And some football coaches won't push ir for certain kids. i mean you have a undersized line. you have a kid you work all spring and summer to get him up to like 240lbs. Kid starts wrestling he doesn't want to wrestle heavyweight 285. So kid cuts weight to make 220. Football coach frustrated.

If ironton starts wrestling then everyone in OVC will have it besides rock hill, coal grove and portsmouth.( south point started wrestling last year i think it was).
Not sure any SOC school has wrestling. trying to think of team off top of my head. ( i know that waverly was looking for a coach.)
Think most SVC schools do the exception may be piketon and maybe one more.
All teams in new frontier conference have it.
And i think 15 TVC teams have it.
I understand your point but I would rather have a 220 player that can run. Ironton players this year were way over weight and slow.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Wrestling is only beneficial to football if the wrestlers actually play football. My guess is the majority doesn't. Good to see wrestling making a comeback though.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

79Tiger wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:19 pm Wrestling is only beneficial to football if the wrestlers actually play football. My guess is the majority doesn't. Good to see wrestling making a comeback though.
I agree but if I was the head football coach at Ironton there would be some heavy pushing to get these football players out. Especially after last season !

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

coach knows wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:49 am If you have ever wrestled for 6 minutes you would say what football teams do in the off season cannot touch it. Trust me it is the most demanding sport I have ever seen.
I agree. I did it my 9th n 10th grade year.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

79Tiger wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:19 pm Wrestling is only beneficial to football if the wrestlers actually play football. My guess is the majority doesn't. Good to see wrestling making a comeback though.
exactly.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

coach knows wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:49 am If you have ever wrestled for 6 minutes you would say what football teams do in the off season cannot touch it. Trust me it is the most demanding sport I have ever seen.
You ain't kiddin. Gettin' the Stone Cold Stunner or the Figure Four Leglock put on you is no fun. Or getting hit with one of those metal chairs. Ouch!!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I'm sure it's demanding but it's a sport of engaging. Football has transcended past some of that to the point where agility, flexibility, and lateral quickness is as important. Wrestling will always help but I don't feel it's necessary for a successful football program or other local schools would have better records.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Having lived in Texas, most HS football players also wrestle. As far as conditioning goes, its laughable to say an "offseason workout" program would rival a wrestling season.

Da man
Riding the Bench

Post by Da man »

Agreed

eagle one
Freshman Team

Post by eagle one »

i wrestled 2 years for bob bruney and you are quite correct!!

eagle one
Freshman Team

Post by eagle one »

wrestling was a hot sport in this area in the 70's

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

IT SURE WAS.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

coop wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:51 pm Having lived in Texas, most HS football players also wrestle. As far as conditioning goes, its laughable to say an "offseason workout" program would rival a wrestling season.
Explain. Football and wrestling. 2 different sports

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

wobycat wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:16 pm
coop wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:51 pm Having lived in Texas, most HS football players also wrestle. As far as conditioning goes, its laughable to say an "offseason workout" program would rival a wrestling season.
Explain. Football and wrestling. 2 different sports
Mainly from a linemen perspective but leverage , leverage , leverage

A Defensive line of 3 175lb wrestlers with good leverage and relentless motor ....

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Glad to hear this. Good for Ironton!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

most football coaches are to stupid to embrace what wrestling does for a guys athleticism
they would rather build their ego and brag about how many guys are in the weight room

Return to “Wrestling”