Waverly @ Oak hill

toast
All State

Re: Waverly @ Oak hill

Post by toast »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:12 pm I'm embarrassed to be a member of this site sometimes, reading this thread is one of those times.

Name a school who has never had a transfer at some point, especially a school that has ever had success. You build success and people want to go there, rather it be in athletic or academically.
You're are missing the point. Of course all schools have had transfers. Just not the "quality or quantity" of some schools. But you are correct that people want to go to schools that have success. It becomes a situation where incoming athletes sustain the program and help maintain the success. These athletes coming from other districts have a huge impact on the number of wins and how far a team advances in the tournaments.

And of course coaches make "some" difference. But talented athletic kids are much more important in a programs overall success than ANY coach. I can give plenty of examples where a highly regarded coach with amazing success struggled mightily once the talent dried up.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Not missing the point of what the above poster was saying, which was questioning the coaching abilities of Coach Persin due to transfers.

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

oaks too good this season undefeated i bet!! Ill say Oak Hill 70-30, waverly tries to run and makes a big mistake!!

Lightle72
Riding the Bench

Post by Lightle72 »

I can see Waverly hanging in the game a little better than most have anticipated. I think it’s a closer game. The Remmington kid is a game changer. He missed all last season with injury. Waverly is a deep team and physically strong. We will see I guess.

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

1st qtr:
Oak Hill 18
Waverly 7

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

Half time:
Oak Hill 30
Waverly 15

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Oak Hill pulling away pretty big

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Lightle72
Riding the Bench

Post by Lightle72 »

I know Oakhill won. But some posters were predicting a 30-40 point margins . Waverly will get better as the year progresses .

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Lightle72 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:11 pm I know Oakhill won. But some posters were predicting a 30-40 point margins . Waverly will get better as the year progresses .
I said 55-39...I was quite close

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

1 poster predicted it to be more than 20 (an absurd 40 point guess) and every other poster that made a prediction said between 15 and 20.

Good win for the Oaks

Lightle72
Riding the Bench

Post by Lightle72 »

The Oaks are a very good team! I hope they go deep come tournament time. I support all the kids in the area!

B-ball-fan
Riding the Bench

Post by B-ball-fan »

I never did see the final?

In youth we learn. In age we understand.
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

B-ball-fan wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:39 pm I never did see the final?
61-44 Oaks

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

30-15 at the break
Oak Hill extended the lead midway through the 3rd. Down 19, Waverly went on a run with a couple threes and a deuce to cut it to 41-30 with around a minute left. After a timeout the Oaks ended the 3rd on 7 point run including a layup with 1 second left after Wavwrkybatyempted to hold for the last shot and prematurely threw up one with 6 ticks left and failed to get back on defense.

Tigers gave up way to many easy shots (many layups) and couldn’t throw it in the ocean.
The short lived streak they had in the third when knocking down shots looked very good. Just have to do it consistently.
I look for the Tigers to get a lot better, especially with making shots and just jelling together.

Oak Hill is a very very good fundamentally sound basketball TEAM.

Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

The Oaks are a matchup nightmare. Too much talent for most teams in this area. Darby was just too much for Waverly tonight with no one who could matchup with him. If you double him under the basket he tosses it out to the open sharpshooter. I agree with burg, I cant see anyone beating this team until deep in the playoffs.

Tower
JV Team

Post by Tower »

I thought Darby was a transfer in this year. How is he playing already? I thought they had to sit out first 11 games.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Waverly had three or four shots to cut the lead to single digits late in the 3rd quarter but couldn't get one to fall. Oak Hill is just really really good. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go undefeated in the regular season.

Waverly had no answer for Darby down low. Radio announcers said he would be in the running for SOC player of the year. Is he the transfer from Rock Hill?

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Yes ... Darby is the transfer from Rock Hill. The Carroll boys transferred from Jackson when they were incoming freshman.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Tower wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:13 am I thought Darby was a transfer in this year. How is he playing already? I thought they had to sit out first 11 games.
My understanding is there is an exception to the transfer bylaw if it is done for purely academic reasons, such as to a school which offers AP classes from a school which does not offer them.

Return to “Boys Basketball”