2018 Portsmouth Trojans Football Outlook

loyal
Waterboy

Re: Portsmouth Football Coach

Post by loyal »

Hear ye hear ye! How many PHS alumni live in the outskirts of PT? Count them. They send their kids to area schools because Portsmouth "just isn't good enough". Duncan based his offense on the best RB around and he was out and wearing cast the whole season. Best record since 2001-02 and complainers still want to be like Burg who have 80 players or more on their team and lots of talent to choose from. QB on PHS was next best RB...good legs...fast. Good player. Great team leader. Since Duncan's offense was so bad, let's see you put the X's and O's up on the board using capable clientele on this year's team. Kids are told they are NFL players from PeeWee these days. Just let them play and have fun. When Jr. high rolls around, it's not daddy ball anymore, it's based on talent at the position played. As a true fan, I believe they have won maybe 8 seasons out of 10 in Jr. high. Let the disgruntled fans and naysayers find a more capable man to lead their kids. But wait! Winning all games and going to playoffs is what it is all about! Any team can go to playoffs if they have depth and a good coach. Portsmouth lacked depth.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Does anyone for sure know if Duncan resigned or what?

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

Post by Beergoggleblues »

Game day wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:48 am Does anyone for sure know if Duncan resigned or what?
Im 99.9% positive. I been told by parents and a couple of the kids. I been wrong before but good sources have told me.

Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

100% sure Duncan is not the coach at Portsmouth high school. So who's next? Rumors of Parker and Boehm transferring is the talk around town and Kalb getting the job. Yea, the offensive coordinator who couldn't call a pee wee game. Smdh

coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

I know one coach that interview with Duncan and the AD for a position on his staff. He told me then they would not be successful because they were not willing to shake up the program.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Portsmouth is a basketball school now. Gonna be a long time till football is good again.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

The defense is the issue there, and has been since 2005. They have had some great offensive years but the defense has been really bad at times.
Average scores per year
2005= 23.0 - 38.5
2006= 25.0 - 28.8
2007= 47.9 - 24.0
2008= 10.7 - 27.1
2009= 30.0 - 25.7
2010= 22.4 - 32.3
2011= 20.5 - 27.9
2012= 16.1 - 40.8
2013= 25.5 - 34.9
2014= 27.9 - 37.8
2015= 17.5 - 31.6
2016= 29.5 - 32.6
2017= 27.8 - 25.6

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Here is a big difference between the football program at Portsmouth and the boys basketball program. Since Eugene Collins took over in 2010 as the varsity boys basketball coach, in this his 9th season, PHS will have had 4 football coaches, including this new hire. 35-65 record over the last 10 years, with no playoff appearances. Basketball, meanwhile, under Collins tenure, has a record of 139-56, with 2 Final 4's, a state runnerup, a regional runnerup, a district runnerup, and 5 sectional titles.

Two sports that are in the same school, but a world apart in terms of success. Stability is very important in the development of a winning program, and in basketball the Trojans have it.

Portsmouth98: Great stats, which reinforces what I've been saying for a long time........until the Trojans get a championship caliber defense back in the program, a prolific offense will mean very little. Trying to outscore teams just won't get it done. Wheelersburg won the state title with defense as their strength. Portsmouth football can come back, but it won't be easy to change the current culture.

Boys basketball at Portsmouth was 100-121 from 2000-2009, the worst decade in PHS history. But Coach Collins completely turned that losing culture around. The same can happen in football.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

trojandave wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:29 pm Boys basketball at Portsmouth was 100-121 from 2000-2009, the worst decade in PHS history. But Coach Collins completely turned that losing culture around. The same can happen in football.
Good post. But during those same down years Portsmouth fielded some excellent football teams. With decreasing enrollments and the dedication to individual sports, it difficult to be really good at both. Actually basketball probably requires more offseason dedication, so it's probably easier to field a good football and a decent basketball team than the other way around.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

trojandave wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:29 pm Here is a big difference between the football program at Portsmouth and the boys basketball program. Since Eugene Collins took over in 2010 as the varsity boys basketball coach, in this his 9th season, PHS will have had 4 football coaches, including this new hire. 35-65 record over the last 10 years, with no playoff appearances. Basketball, meanwhile, under Collins tenure, has a record of 139-56, with 2 Final 4's, a state runnerup, a regional runnerup, a district runnerup, and 5 sectional titles.

Two sports that are in the same school, but a world apart in terms of success. Stability is very important in the development of a winning program, and in basketball the Trojans have it.

Portsmouth98: Great stats, which reinforces what I've been saying for a long time........until the Trojans get a championship caliber defense back in the program, a prolific offense will mean very little. Trying to outscore teams just won't get it done. Wheelersburg won the state title with defense as their strength. Portsmouth football can come back, but it won't be easy to change the current culture.

Boys basketball at Portsmouth was 100-121 from 2000-2009, the worst decade in PHS history. But Coach Collins completely turned that losing culture around. The same can happen in football.
So is it 2019 already? Took over the program in 2010 and he is starting his 9th season. Man time flies when you’re having fun. Lol.
No but seriously, you make some valid points.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Westfan wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:54 pm
trojandave wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:29 pm Boys basketball at Portsmouth was 100-121 from 2000-2009, the worst decade in PHS history. But Coach Collins completely turned that losing culture around. The same can happen in football.
Good post. But during those same down years Portsmouth fielded some excellent football teams. With decreasing enrollments and the dedication to individual sports, it difficult to be really good at both. Actually basketball probably requires more offseason dedication, so it's probably easier to field a good football and a decent basketball team than the other way around.
I don’t know about that. Basketball is maybe 7-8 guys on a usual night to where football involves a lot more players. Burg starts football conditioning in January so that is a lot of offseason dedication and the results speak for themselves. But in saying that I do believe basketball is more about touch and finesse instead of raw athletic ability.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

fbnut wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:23 pm Would a new coach = Burg back on schedule ?
I'm not sure a program on their 4th head coach in 7 years needs to worry about scheduling the defending state champs. We need some stability and the ability to beat the teams we already play before we schedule up.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:16 pm I don’t know about that. Basketball is maybe 7-8 guys on a usual night to where football involves a lot more players. Burg starts football conditioning in January so that is a lot of offseason dedication and the results speak for themselves. But in saying that I do believe basketball is more about touch and finesse instead of raw athletic ability.
That's what I mean. To be a great basketball player you need skill work and probably play AAU besides the normal weights and conditioning.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Question. Where does a A D come in to play with decisions such as these. If you keep repeating the same old as far as hiring shouldn’t there be a change in the decision making process to hire these Coach’s. just a thought here. Something needs changed there.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Eugene Collins record since he has been the varsity coach at PHS:

2010: 12-7
2011: 21-5
2012: 24-3
2013: 10-13
2014: 19-5
2015: 20-7
2016: 16-8
2017: 17-8

This season will be Coach Collins' 9th at PHS.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

trojandave wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:57 pm Eugene Collins record since he has been the varsity coach at PHS:

2010: 12-7
2011: 21-5
2012: 24-3
2013: 10-13
2014: 19-5
2015: 20-7
2016: 16-8
2017: 17-8

This season will be Coach Collins' 9th at PHS.
Maybe I’m just missing something but the 2017 season just started like last week didn’t it? So this would be his 8th season right? Anyways he has added consistency to their program.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

I think he is referring to the 16-17 season as 17 since the bulk of the schedule would have been played during the 2017 calendar year.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Whoever the next coach is needs to revamp the entire program from peewee on up. If the numbers were true that has been posted on here for 5th/6th grades then a self contained peewee league needs to be started. IMO playing other schools at this age is kind of foolish. Play each other, teach the basics, and run a simplified scheme of what the varsity runs. This is the time for all the reps a kid can get, not beating another school with only a small number of kids on you team getting to play. You do not get better by standing on the sidelines. Being undefeated in peewee doesn't mean anything. The lower age programs are supposed to be feeders for the varsity program. Burg's peewee teams play only each other and run a simplified varsity package. Once they get to jr high, more is added to that package. Eventually when they become a senior they are starting their 8th year running the same package. Consistency is just one of the keys to success.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:14 pm Whoever the next coach is needs to revamp the entire program from peewee on up. If the numbers were true that has been posted on here for 5th/6th grades then a self contained peewee league needs to be started. IMO playing other schools at this age is kind of foolish. Play each other, teach the basics, and run a simplified scheme of what the varsity runs. This is the time for all the reps a kid can get, not beating another school with only a small number of kids on you team getting to play. You do not get better by standing on the sidelines. Being undefeated in peewee doesn't mean anything. The lower age programs are supposed to be feeders for the varsity program. Burg's peewee teams play only each other and run a simplified varsity package. Once they get to jr high, more is added to that package. Eventually when they become a senior they are starting their 8th year running the same package. Consistency is just one of the keys to success.
Actually the West 6th grade team beat them. Factor in the kids that branched off and went to another team P-town would've had 60-70 kids EASY for the 5th and 6th grade level.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Like I said, no one cares who won the PEEWEE CHAMPIONSHIP OF THE WORLD. But with that many kids, there should have been 4 teams playing only each other. Teach the basics, keep all the kids engaged, retain them year after year, feed your varsity. I would love to see Portsmouth rise from the ashes. Gonna take some work though. Only happens if parents and administrators get out of the coaches way, embrace change, and buy into it 100%. When your team succeeds, you succeed. WE > ME

Return to “Football”