2018 Ironton Head football coach

Birdman
Riding the Bench

Re: Ironton BOE Meeting 12/19

Post by Birdman »

JacksonMayor wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:12 am Just look at all the Ironton "faithful" wallowing in their own misery on here and you will find the real root of the problem. Ironton isnt ever going to be what it once was just as most towns in SEO wont. We have been forgotten by our state. Developing this area is no longer a priority and people are leaving for better opportunities elsewhere. This leaves behind a smaller and tighter talent pool. Hire who you want but the result isnt really going to change that much. Or better yet, some of you need to break out your whistles and become part of the solution instead of being part of the problem.

I feel sorry for Coach Vass and ofr HS coaches in general. Parents are idiots.
I totally agree, hire whoever you want, talent is not there, I watched over 15 high school football football games this year, Ohio, Ky , West Virginia, Ironton’s talent has been down the last three years.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

laser breath wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:47 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:38 am Maybe change is needed, maybe it's not, I'm in no position to comment on that.

But I absolutely hate posts like this. Coaching seems so easy 'from the outside' and as great as this forum is the coach bashing really gets overwhelming. I don't know a coach in SE Ohio that doesn't try his/her best to improve whatever program they're leading. Coaching high school sports is a tough job -- typically if you're winning the credit goes to the kids, yet if you're losing the blame goes on the coach.. It's a vicious cycle.
Totally agree. I’m an outsider on this but vass has inherited a tough situation. Ironton has declined to a small amount number of kids. It also has some socioeconomic issues as well. Ironton may never gets back to prominence but I’m not so sure vass is the reason.
everybody understands that but we are the same size as burg.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Birdman wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:08 pm
JacksonMayor wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:12 am Just look at all the Ironton "faithful" wallowing in their own misery on here and you will find the real root of the problem. Ironton isnt ever going to be what it once was just as most towns in SEO wont. We have been forgotten by our state. Developing this area is no longer a priority and people are leaving for better opportunities elsewhere. This leaves behind a smaller and tighter talent pool. Hire who you want but the result isnt really going to change that much. Or better yet, some of you need to break out your whistles and become part of the solution instead of being part of the problem.

I feel sorry for Coach Vass and ofr HS coaches in general. Parents are idiots.
I totally agree, hire whoever you want, talent is not there, I watched over 15 high school football football games this year, Ohio, Ky , West Virginia, Ironton’s talent has been down the last three years.
I disagree, this years JR class has a lot of talent plus a few of the underclassmen are pretty talented. The SR class was small with only 6 players on the Team, that hasn't helped but there's some good talent on the Team. Trying to implement the Spread Offense for the first time in what has been a run run run Offense is going to take some time., more than one year any way.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

I agree trying to implement the spread will take more than one year. But Vass should have looked at his kids and said this is the perfect time to run the ball. Had a stable of backs last year and wasted them.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

you may have to vary approaches every year , and as possible as every game. it's all according to the players you have at hand as to what kind of offense you run. and the same can be said of an upcoming opponent. coaching is all about fundamentals and making adjustments. the running game can be anything from a tee formation, to a power I, to a pro set any given play, or a combination of the spread to a full out empty backfield. I don't see the real need to commit to just one or the other. you can't be too predictable like you can get away with more on defense. I feel that the implementation needs to start out at the lower grades as well. obviously you're not going to run a spread in pee wee ball. if you do, then you have some incredible over achievers. but as early as junior high and jv you should be running something very similar as to what the varsity is running as a base offense. I don't think you can put an offense into only 2 catagories t-formation or spread. and you have to depend on your scouting of opponents to as what to use each week and in what situation. you may start out in the t-formation then switch to the spread as the need arises. but the kids have to be driven to succeed in every school and taught good sound fundamentals and have enough variance in your playbook to be able to switch it up as the need arises. that could be by play or quarter. but I feel you need to be sound at whatever it takes. that's the same as any other school.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

are the ironton kids participating in camps and 7 on 7's. I have no idea. but I certainly think it is important in todays football.

coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

If you Ironton people want a new coach and you have dog it the fight I would go to the next board meeting. You need to express your concerns and the reasons behind them. I have made mine clear on many occasions to the AD and the Super and nothing happens. The Super tried to make some changes but guess what that was shot down by the BOE. Also keep in mind I have coached at Ironton and I clearly understand why this Staff is not very good.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Okay, if Ironton believes they are getting anyone who is a good coach, you are sadly mistaking. The fans are the #1 problem. Why do you think Mark Lutz didn't want the Ironton job in the first place, unrealistic expectations. You are proving his point now. You ran a great coach in Triplett out of town over a first round playoff loss. I have several friends at Ironton, and when you are basically starting a freshman team, the problem is not the coach. Injuries happen, it's apart of the game, next man up. Ironton fans (and some parents) are to busy blaming the coach or the refs, that they feed that idea into the kids, stating it is not their fault. Did coaching get you beat 49-3 against Burg? I was there, Wheelersburg had a better team, plain and simple. Did coaching get you beat by Coal Grove? I saw the game on Facebook Live, it didn't. Coal Grove out manned Ironton up front. That's not coaching, that's motivation in the weight room. The reason Ironton is in the shape it's in is because of people like those who are on here, giving unrealistic expectations and feeding that into the kids, which is basically telling them they don't have to work harder, it's the coaches fault. Where's the motivation to get better? This is why we have a society full of entitled cry babies. It starts at home.

This is the source of Ironton's demise.

End Rant

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:54 am you may have to vary approaches every year , and as possible as every game. it's all according to the players you have at hand as to what kind of offense you run. and the same can be said of an upcoming opponent. coaching is all about fundamentals and making adjustments. the running game can be anything from a tee formation, to a power I, to a pro set any given play, or a combination of the spread to a full out empty backfield. I don't see the real need to commit to just one or the other. you can't be too predictable like you can get away with more on defense. I feel that the implementation needs to start out at the lower grades as well. obviously you're not going to run a spread in pee wee ball. if you do, then you have some incredible over achievers. but as early as junior high and jv you should be running something very similar as to what the varsity is running as a base offense. I don't think you can put an offense into only 2 catagories t-formation or spread. and you have to depend on your scouting of opponents to as what to use each week and in what situation. you may start out in the t-formation then switch to the spread as the need arises. but the kids have to be driven to succeed in every school and taught good sound fundamentals and have enough variance in your playbook to be able to switch it up as the need arises. that could be by play or quarter. but I feel you need to be sound at whatever it takes. that's the same as any other school.
I'll disagree on the running the spread even at the pee wee level. Maybe not the full on 5 wr set stuff and passing every down. I know of a few teams in the area that are shotgun formation 3-4 WR sets with motion, 1 back sets and rarely if ever go under center. It's the same formation types that their high school runs. So why I believe yes you need to be able to do both, look at burg, to say you can't put the spread in at the pee wee ranks is nonsense. By the time those kids are hitting junior high they know the formations you have centers you are good at snapping the shotgun, which is HUGE for the spread without that snap nothing is going to work. You have established kids that you know going in, yeah he can be my QB or RB you're not hunting for them come junior because they ran a different system in pee wee. Still boils down to expectations within the community for Ironton and also something to consider people talk about hiring outsiders but does Ironton have the funds to do that?? Do they have a position available for a new coach to work at the school if needed??

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

OVC wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:54 pm Okay, if Ironton believes they are getting anyone who is a good coach, you are sadly mistaking. The fans are the #1 problem. Why do you think Mark Lutz didn't want the Ironton job in the first place, unrealistic expectations. You are proving his point now. You ran a great coach in Triplett out of town over a first round playoff loss. I have several friends at Ironton, and when you are basically starting a freshman team, the problem is not the coach. Injuries happen, it's apart of the game, next man up. Ironton fans (and some parents) are to busy blaming the coach or the refs, that they feed that idea into the kids, stating it is not their fault. Did coaching get you beat 49-3 against Burg? I was there, Wheelersburg had a better team, plain and simple. Did coaching get you beat by Coal Grove? I saw the game on Facebook Live, it didn't. Coal Grove out manned Ironton up front. That's not coaching, that's motivation in the weight room. The reason Ironton is in the shape it's in is because of people like those who are on here, giving unrealistic expectations and feeding that into the kids, which is basically telling them they don't have to work harder, it's the coaches fault. Where's the motivation to get better? This is why we have a society full of entitled cry babies. It starts at home.

End Rant
Your rant is full of flaws: You are talking about last year I am talking about every year Mark has been a Head Coach. Ironton has never over achieved any year he has been a head coach. Also Coal Grove out manned Ironton is the motivation in the weight room. I have watched Ironton lifting and Mark is no where to be found and he is not the driving force in pushing kids to higher level bottom line.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

greygoose wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:01 pm
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:54 am you may have to vary approaches every year , and as possible as every game. it's all according to the players you have at hand as to what kind of offense you run. and the same can be said of an upcoming opponent. coaching is all about fundamentals and making adjustments. the running game can be anything from a tee formation, to a power I, to a pro set any given play, or a combination of the spread to a full out empty backfield. I don't see the real need to commit to just one or the other. you can't be too predictable like you can get away with more on defense. I feel that the implementation needs to start out at the lower grades as well. obviously you're not going to run a spread in pee wee ball. if you do, then you have some incredible over achievers. but as early as junior high and jv you should be running something very similar as to what the varsity is running as a base offense. I don't think you can put an offense into only 2 catagories t-formation or spread. and you have to depend on your scouting of opponents to as what to use each week and in what situation. you may start out in the t-formation then switch to the spread as the need arises. but the kids have to be driven to succeed in every school and taught good sound fundamentals and have enough variance in your playbook to be able to switch it up as the need arises. that could be by play or quarter. but I feel you need to be sound at whatever it takes. that's the same as any other school.
I'll disagree on the running the spread even at the pee wee level. Maybe not the full on 5 wr set stuff and passing every down. I know of a few teams in the area that are shotgun formation 3-4 WR sets with motion, 1 back sets and rarely if ever go under center. It's the same formation types that their high school runs. So why I believe yes you need to be able to do both, look at burg, to say you can't put the spread in at the pee wee ranks is nonsense. By the time those kids are hitting junior high they know the formations you have centers you are good at snapping the shotgun, which is HUGE for the spread without that snap nothing is going to work. You have established kids that you know going in, yeah he can be my QB or RB you're not hunting for them come junior because they ran a different system in pee wee. Still boils down to expectations within the community for Ironton and also something to consider people talk about hiring outsiders but does Ironton have the funds to do that?? Do they have a position available for a new coach to work at the school if needed??
wow goose that made me realize how long ago it's been since I coached youth football. I would have never dreamed what you told me. that's crazy. I would never even have considered implementing a shotgun when I coached, that's awesome. but I coached the way I was taught football at ironton and what I seen and learned all my life and even though we passed a bit. we were a tee formation team with huge lineman and very good backs.come to think of it I've not been to a pee wee game since I did coach. and it blows my mind what you're telling me. I was just grinning reading this. I thought this getting older stuff would take longer. that is so much of an advantage to go ahead and have that implemented in so early. thank you for sharing that with me.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Game day wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:06 am
OVC wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:54 pm Okay, if Ironton believes they are getting anyone who is a good coach, you are sadly mistaking. The fans are the #1 problem. Why do you think Mark Lutz didn't want the Ironton job in the first place, unrealistic expectations. You are proving his point now. You ran a great coach in Triplett out of town over a first round playoff loss. I have several friends at Ironton, and when you are basically starting a freshman team, the problem is not the coach. Injuries happen, it's apart of the game, next man up. Ironton fans (and some parents) are to busy blaming the coach or the refs, that they feed that idea into the kids, stating it is not their fault. Did coaching get you beat 49-3 against Burg? I was there, Wheelersburg had a better team, plain and simple. Did coaching get you beat by Coal Grove? I saw the game on Facebook Live, it didn't. Coal Grove out manned Ironton up front. That's not coaching, that's motivation in the weight room. The reason Ironton is in the shape it's in is because of people like those who are on here, giving unrealistic expectations and feeding that into the kids, which is basically telling them they don't have to work harder, it's the coaches fault. Where's the motivation to get better? This is why we have a society full of entitled cry babies. It starts at home.

End Rant
Your rant is full of flaws: You are talking about last year I am talking about every year Mark has been a Head Coach. Ironton has never over achieved any year he has been a head coach. Also Coal Grove out manned Ironton is the motivation in the weight room. I have watched Ironton lifting and Mark is no where to be found and he is not the driving force in pushing kids to higher level bottom line.
i'll second this motion ------------------ ironton has not shown improvement in any facet in my opinion. and I agree coal grove outmanning us means they are better coached and harder driven that was obvious how they shoved us around like we were on roller blades. when we lifted the coaches were right there. it was highly supervised and very regimented. and we had to come during the summer as well.i don't understand why this is so taboo to speak of. when coach lutz retired, Merrill triplett stepped in, while we were in the seoal.he had a winning record, was taught by coach lutz, had tons of coaching experience, was a beast of a player himself, had a winning record in the seoal , beat burg, made the playoffs and barely had time to put in a staff. then the people treated him like crap because he wasn't bob lutz. I thought they'd made an excellent, obvious choice. then the push was on halfway through coach t's 1st season to bring back coach lutz to break the all time wins record.they shut down Merrill, rehired coach lutz. he stayed that 1 year and retired after getting the record. so we sorely shot ourselves in the foot. but it is beyond comprehension to me as to why it's so taboo to talk about a change. and you're a traitor if you do, even though it's the whole town and surrounding communities that are saying it. in any job, if you are not getting it done, you can and likely will be replaced. that doesn't mean you're a bad person or a nobody. and it is just how things are. the only thing that complicates this is the fact the coach is also a teacher. you can be replaced as a coach, and remain a teacher. geemany Christmas. and everybody loves the guy, and the kids love him. as with the whole staff. I live in waverly, and wear ironton tee shirts almost every day. people see me with one on and giggle, people from waverly, piketon, Lucasville, zane trace and the like. and I'm thinking if you only knew what this shirt had behind that logo of all the teams you likely no nothing about. not by anything special i done. but teams our jv team would have destroyed.now the preogram is thought of as a punchline. this is not a knock on any one person, and heaven forbid it thought to be directed towards a kid. but these kids are playing to win. and they are only as driven as far as a staff, and a support staff is driving them. if you want to implement change , then change has to be made. it's just not happening.

coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

BOE meeting Tuesday if you want a change need to attend the meeting. I have finished my coaching carrier and have been part of the Tiger Staff. This Staff is a mess with so many family members and un qualified coaches.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

if the job is not even being advertised or posted, then there won't be any change.

Osu fan
Waterboy

Post by Osu fan »

Hope the community gets behind this staff. Injury free this is a playoff team next year.

Osu fan
Waterboy

Post by Osu fan »

Hope the community gets behind this staff. Injury free this is a playoff team next year.

Osu fan
Waterboy

Post by Osu fan »

coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

The BOE has to no renew is contract which is only good to after the first of the year. The BOE does not have what it takes to make any changes.

During weight lifting last week one kid told Vass he was full of poop! This is after Vass caught them goofing off and told them after the first of the year they are going to run. So I asked a kid who was there and he said the exact same words. By the way why are we waiting until after the first of the year to start getting serious. Ironton has not been playing ball since October I believe. What a sorry state of affairs at Ironton!!

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Some of this is just a load of crap. If it is such a big deal people should have been to the BOE Meetings for at least the last 2 months or as some say a lot longer. Showing up at one meeting to complain and demand action from a BOE who has left this alone for years has little chance to get real change. No organized group effort to go against keeping the Coach. Just more people running their mouth. Then the next person running their mouth. As things go in different directions. Which seems just like what some players have been doing. Where everyone thinks they are doing right. It is not about team or working toward goals.

If the BOE keeps the coaches they should ask them to prepare a plan for the upcoming year. To include player conduct on and off the field. Which is needed and to be approved and backed by administration. Give players like a report card of their play and what they need to do to improve. Enjoy the BOE Meeting or the after meeting.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Osu fan wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:07 am Hope the community gets behind this staff. Injury free this is a playoff team next year.
at the risk of seeming like a jerk. which is not at all what I'm trying to do here. there is no thing as an injury free football season. football is not a contact sport. it is a violent collision sport for 48 minutes. you have to have coaches, players, depth, conditioning, weight training, regimented exercise programs. and did I mention players and depth and experience. I cannot buy that this is a playoff team next year. they have regressed at an alarming rate skill wise, fundamentals and discipline wise. it's not been a one year thing. granted we have had serious injuries. that's unavoidable. but I've heard the same thing 6/7/8 years now. with no improvement. i'll never stop being an ironton fan. whether I'm there or glued to the radio. and the games I have seen the past several years look nothing like ironton football, coach lutz or not. coach lutz is gone , he was awesome, it's over. great to talk about , because it was an epic historical ride. but that don't feed the bulldog now. we had a awesome experienced coach in coach triplett, he made the playoffs, beat burg and had a winning record in the seoal not the ovc. he gets run out of town. and here we are. again I ask why is this so taboo to discuss. nothing is changing, we're backpeddling. I find it heartbreaking to know , if what I'm told is correct, that the job just keeps getting renewed every year. and the position has not been advertised. I've said it before i'll say it again. nothing has changed at ironton that can't be fixed with the right people playing and leading the team. and the horses to do this still roam the halls at ironton high player wise who want nothing more than to start another era of dominance, we owe these kids that.

Return to “Football”