2018 SOC2 Football

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Re: 2018 SOC 2 OUTLOOK?

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Westfan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:54 am
scott1297 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:44 pm Burgs defense may be a little smaller next year but they will still have the athletes that fly to the ball and tackle very well. But Burgs schedule will be tough especially week #2. As far as the SOC 'll goes I see Burg #1 and either West or Valley at #2 and Minford might sneak in there but I think them and Waverly will be 4th or 5th
Valley is still a long ways away.

If West has a good offseason I think they will close the gap considerably and possibly be a favorite in the game. West returns a bunch of good players. Need to rebuild the line, but the core of the defense is back including 8 or 9 kids who have started games on defense.
You make me laugh. Close the gap considerably? Favorite? Haha. West is getting better. But they won’t be 5 touchdowns better in 1 year. And with this offense next year, Burg could stretch the gap by a few more.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

It’s hard to say right now. Obviously if burg doesn’t win it all next year they will take a step back. It will be hard to replace the d line and Carmichael, Lowery, and keeney kid. Burgs offensive line will be shaky too until they can gel together. They have plenty of playmakers for offense and enough defense to be strong maybe not as strong but enough then I can see them winning the SOC and at least the region.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

West wasn't at full strength when they played Wheelersburg this year. West didn't have much depth. When Berry went down a large part of the offense went with him. He is special. If anyone watched the first scrimmage at Zane Trace before McNeil got hurt, you saw how much he changed the offense too. Both are also excellent linebackers, and when you run a 4-4 that is important. It's nice to say next man up, but when you don't have alot of depth, two players of that caliber are huge losses.
Those guys are back, plus the Quarterback, tailback, fullback, tight end, ex. West may be better this year than last.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Westfan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:03 am West wasn't at full strength when they played Wheelersburg this year. West didn't have much depth. When Berry went down a large part of the offense went with him. He is special. If anyone watched the first scrimmage at Zane Trace before McNeil got hurt, you saw how much he changed the offense too. Both are also excellent linebackers, and when you run a 4-4 that is important. It's nice to say next man up, but when you don't have alot of depth, two players of that caliber are huge losses.
Those guys are back, plus the Quarterback, tailback, fullback, tight end, ex. West may be better this year than last.
No offense but berry wouldn’t have helped. Burg owned that line of scrimmage. West may be better next year in that department but skill wise will go to burg.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

wobycat wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:51 am
Westfan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:03 am West wasn't at full strength when they played Wheelersburg this year. West didn't have much depth. When Berry went down a large part of the offense went with him. He is special. If anyone watched the first scrimmage at Zane Trace before McNeil got hurt, you saw how much he changed the offense too. Both are also excellent linebackers, and when you run a 4-4 that is important. It's nice to say next man up, but when you don't have alot of depth, two players of that caliber are huge losses.
No offense but berry wouldn’t have helped. Burg owned that line of scrimmage. West may be better next year in that department but skill wise will go to burg.
Year before Berry was very successful against Wheelersburg as a wildcat quarterback. He was also the guy that had enough speed to get outside on the counter when West was in the I formation. Wheelersburg didn't respect the outside because they knew West didn't have enough speed to hurt them outside so they concentrated on the inside run. Berry makes a huge difference

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

Westfan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:59 am
Year before Berry was very successful against Wheelersburg as a wildcat quarterback. He was also the guy that had enough speed to get outside on the counter when West was in the I formation. Wheelersburg didn't respect the outside because they knew West didn't have enough speed to hurt them outside so they concentrated on the inside run. Berry makes a huge difference
The Berry kid is a talented player but let’s be honest he’s not a 34 point difference. Very few times did teams have success getting to the edge and getting outside on Wheelersburg. Overall even with Berry the result would of been the same for West.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bleed_blue wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:06 am
Westfan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:59 am

The Berry kid is a talented player but let’s be honest he’s not a 34 point difference. Very few times did teams have success getting to the edge and getting outside on Wheelersburg. Overall even with Berry the result would of been the same for West.
Only one kid I think went over the century mark on burg and that kid is a Small d 1 running back that played on a state championship runner up team. Berry, as good as he is, would have not helped.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Westfan wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:52 pm Problem with Waverly never has been offense. It's toughness. They seem to be soft and struggle to stop power running year after year
We do seem to be stronger on the offensive side of the ball most years. But two years ago we had six shoutouts in the first 10 games and only one team scored over 14 points on us all season. (regular season) West scored six. We have had other teams that were stingy against the run.

I suppose it comes down to personnel for the most part. Coming up with eleven kids that can fly to the ball is no easy task for most teams.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Wheelersburg should be favored to win the SOC. Several nice weapons on offense. Their defensive front four was dominate this past season along with an elite linebacker. They lose all four up front and the linebacker. I'd be surprised if they were as strong defensively but only time will tell.

The next few years could be interesting for Wheelersburg. They have at least three classes coming up that are good but not great. But of course that could easily change if they attract some top athletes from the surrounding area. I believe their 8th grade picked up players from West, Ironton and Portsmouth this past year. I've heard one of Minfords best Jr. High players may be leaving to play at Burg. Kinda hard to compete when all that takes place. Wondering if more Portsmouth kids will be coming with all the turmoil in Trojan land.

Valley will have their best shot at a winning season for a while. After next season looks like slim pickings for a couple of years again. Their 7th grade is really good but that's still a few years off.

I look for Minford to improve. Their sophomore class will be ready to make a nice impact. The falcons will be solid.

West was the surprise of the area last year and should have another nice season if they can avoid a bunch of injuries. They return several key players.

Waverly lost a bunch of quality seniors. 16 wins over the last two seasons. We will have some really nice talent but the upper two classes are relatively thin. Several sophomores and freshman will probably start and others will see significant playing time. Those two classes are strong and deep so it should be fun to watch them progress.

Voice of Reason
Riding the Bench

Post by Voice of Reason »

Otto wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:46 pm I really don't understand what happened to Valley. They were so strong and consistently good for years. I get that Darren gave that one class all the playing time so there wasn't much development for the next class, but the cupboard shouldn't be this empty. The drop off is shocking to me. Would like to see them return to prominence again.
Hahaha!!! He didn't give one class all the playing time, there were underclassmen that started on those good teams... He gave the playing time to the best players. Last year's class played a ton of JV games and had multiple opportunities to force their way into the lineup, the problem was they had zero ability and zero work ethic. They spent 4 years riding coat tails and never showed up consistently for weights and conditioning. I had an underclassman on those teams and the difference in work ethic and attitude was just as drastic as the ability level.

The next few years has a chance to be decent as there is some young talent on the way. While Valley only went 3-7 this past season, they played a brutal schedule. They'll have a chance to break .500 and possibly surprise some people with a few key breaks.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I applaud you for your west backing, but to think a 34 point gap was going to be closed by 1 player is a bit outlandish. I do have a question though because looking at a couple post you've said now. You mentioned in 1 that West returns 8-9 kids who have started games on defense, so how many full time starters did they get back on defense??? In this one you mention they return the entire backfield and the TE. So what do they return/lose on the o-line and d-line?? Because the way you're writing up stuff sounds like West is returning a BUNCH of starters from last years team. Thanks for the info, not bashing on who you have back or anything just getting some clarity on where West might stand. I mean if you're replacing 2/3 offensive and defensive lines that could pose a problem only time will tell on that one. Thanks

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

greygoose wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:15 pm
I applaud you for your west backing, but to think a 34 point gap was going to be closed by 1 player is a bit outlandish. I do have a question though because looking at a couple post you've said now. You mentioned in 1 that West returns 8-9 kids who have started games on defense, so how many full time starters did they get back on defense??? In this one you mention they return the entire backfield and the TE. So what do they return/lose on the o-line and d-line?? Because the way you're writing up stuff sounds like West is returning a BUNCH of starters from last years team. Thanks for the info, not bashing on who you have back or anything just getting some clarity on where West might stand. I mean if you're replacing 2/3 offensive and defensive lines that could pose a problem only time will tell on that one. Thanks
The offensive line was all seniors. That will be the toughest to replace. But there 3 or 4 that have played including a couple who have played alot of defensive tackle. Lost Staggs at receiver. He really stepped up after Berry went down. I think team speed will be better and West will be more skilled. Maybe not as power run oriented.

Defense lost both ends, 1 tackle, and 1 corner off the starters before the injuries. But they always rotate alot of guys so alot have played.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

WOW, that's a pretty big gap to fill when you lose your entire line. Especially given the success in the run game you guys had, also figuring some of that o-line was your d-line as well. So West is going to be questionable in the trenches at least to start the season, that's one of the areas where until the games start coming won't really know how the boys will adjust. Knowing that really can't give the nod to West closing the gap on Burg.
1.BURG
2.WEST
3.Waverly
4.Minford
5.Valley
Honestly 3-4-5 could be flipped in any order given the unknown of each team, can Waverly replace what they lost effectively, can Minford take a step forward after an up and down 2017 season, does Valley have the talent to try and get back to at least a .500 ball club?? Even with Burg and West does Burg get couple rumored guys move in, does Boehm from P-town go to West which is one thing I've heard??? AHHHH so many questions and long time till we get the answers.

stokers
Waterboy

Re: SOC-DIVISION 2

Post by stokers »

how will green be

seopcommenter
Riding the Bench
Location: i like to back my statemints up with historical factoids

Post by seopcommenter »

minfort wins some games

Football fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Football fan »

The Ironton tribune is reporting with the adding of saint joe in 2019 that oak hill and eastern are moving up to full time SOC d2 in all sports due to the fact western is fielding football which is awesome but makes me wonder if Manchester backed out or was denied entry

Boehm isn’t that good of a lineman gets ate up by good defenses West would be a perfect fit for him

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Football fan wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:04 am The Ironton tribune is reporting with the adding of saint joe in 2019 that oak hill and eastern are moving up to full time SOC d2 in all sports due to the fact western is fielding football which is awesome but makes me wonder if Manchester backed out or was denied entry

Boehm isn’t that good of a lineman gets ate up by good defenses West would be a perfect fit for him
I read the article and really find it a bit strange, Saint Joe doesn't have football. Eastern is currently a DVII school and while I have heard about them moving up to DVI, why would they choose to move a small DVI/big DVII school move up to playing SOC 2 and leave a DV school Northwest down in the smaller school bracket? Seems like that's a bit backwards in expecting Eastern to compete with the likes of the SOC 2 league. They're not running wild in SOC 1, man I really hope that is rethought doesn't seem like it improves either league by such a move.

From what I was hearing I don't believe Manchester was looking for a long-term fit in the SOC. Not with a few of the schools in the area starting up football. Manchester also has funding issues so who knows, can't see the SOC turning them down because they were already playing a SOC 1 schedule for the most part.

Football fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Football fan »

Read daily times article makes way more since then Ironton as for football eastern isn’t moving

SOC 1
Eastern
Western
Nw
Nd
Green
East
Sv

SOC 2
Burg
West
Oh
Waverly
Minford
Valley

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Football fan wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:12 pm Read daily times article makes way more since then Ironton as for football eastern isn’t moving

SOC 1
Eastern
Western
Nw
Nd
Green
East
Sv

SOC 2
Burg
West
Oh
Waverly
Minford
Valley
Correct Eastern isn't moving in football even though the article said they were in all sports. OH isn't moving until the 2019 season so you'll have to adjust your predictions

Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

stokers wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:31 pm how will green be
Green will have a lot of seniors and juniors

SOC 1

Return to “Football”