2018 OVC Football Offseason Talk and Outlook

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 2018 OVC

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

pa ironton and Portsmouth are both in very unfamiliar territory struggling like this as well as Gallia academy. who would have thought this seoal powerhouse programs would have been struggling to these depths.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Shane Falco
Freshman Team

Post by Shane Falco »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:01 am pa ironton and Portsmouth are both in very unfamiliar territory struggling like this as well as Gallia academy. who would have thought this seoal powerhouse programs would have been struggling to these depths.
I don't think Gallia Academy is struggling anymore. Penrod came in this year and really turned this program around. I can see them competing for a league crown this year.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

they were definitely somewhat improved. but rock hill strummed them.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

which is no knock on rock hill with a first year head coach, and implementing a new philosophy and program. but hardly the gahs we are used to seeing.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

I would guess it will be a Rock Hill championship, however, GAHS will give them all they can handle. I'm going to guess those two will finish 1 and 2, but could be flipped around either way.

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

Matt77 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:24 pm Here’s how I see it going.

1. Coal Grove (defense will hurt losing a lot of starters, but tons of talent returning for the grove with what will be a solid senior class)
2. Rock Hill (tons of talent comes back, played a lot of underclassman last year)
3. Ironton (has the talent, who knows if they can put it together after the garbage fire that started last year, players “maybe” transferring will impact too)
4. Gallia (The new coach is building a program, returns solid players, you could flip them or ironton.)
5. Fairland (lost their two best players, return Lambiotte, Wilcoxon, and Sowards, but not a whole lot more)
6. Portsmouth (shaky coaching situation and if the rumors of Parker to the burg are true, Portsmouth will be a bottom feeder
7. Chesapeake (could flip them or Portsmouth depending on if Parker plays. The quarterback is a heck of a runner, just still don’t see much there this year)
8. South Point (Hopefully they can get players out to play, tough situation there with the youth)
Would love to see Rock Hill in the mix for the OVC, but they lost a lot to graduation and the passing game needs work, you can't run the ball every down and throw 2 times a game. Jmo

You can't handle the truth
dragonalum
Riding the Bench

Re: 2018 OVC SCHEDULES

Post by dragonalum »

I must admit, I'm sad to see Portsmouth West off the Fairland schedule. For as long as I can remember, FHS v. West was Week 1.
It was nice because many of the kids I went to church camp with attended West, and the game was kind of a "camp reunion."

Tolsia has run on some hard luck the past couple seasons, but they aren't too far removed from being a title contender in both Single-A and AA in WV. I think they will end up bouncing back. From what I heard, injuries and lack of senior leadership made this season a struggle for them.

I'm interested to see what this round of FHS v. Athens holds. The last time the Dragons and the Bulldogs played was during the years Athens went pretty deep in the playoffs.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Based on the above schedule, it looks like both Portsmouth and Ironton have openings in week 2. I know that Nelsonville-York is looking for a Week 2 game. I would love to see a series between NY and either Portsmouth or Ironton.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

The Hornets from The Grove are OVC champs!!! They will repeat as OVC champs next season. Everyone else will be playing for 2nd place. They got a nice taste of success that reminded them of past triumphs. They will continue to feast on this league.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

everybody keeps saying ironton can't get back on track. look at the grovers proud pirate, they are a prime example of a fresh face, kids and the community buying in, and the athletes being sold on hard, hard work ethics.and they are getting it done.look at fairland , just woeful in 16 and played for the deciding of the ovc crown this year. and I promise you rock hill will make adjustments and grow into a contender. nobody will ever convince me ironton can't play championship football again from the athletes they have roaming right there in their own halls with the right leadership.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

look at burg, same size school. great leadership and 90 boys out. I have no idea how many are open enrollment, and could not care less. but they are getting the kids out. I remember ironton saint joe back in the day when they had football. and there would be like 42 boys in all four grades and like 39 on the team. and the other 3 were managers it seemed.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

and they won championships in the ovc.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

I hope Ironton does get back on track. While winning a game by 3-5 touchdowns is good for headlines, IMO a victory is better when it’s a hard fought close game. I know it is numerically impossible, but I wish all of the Burg’s opponents could go undefeated until they play us. I never wish a bad season on any team. Especially any from SEO.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

The Tigers played for a state title in '92, '94 and '99. In the middle of that run, Lutz had his first losing season. I think it was in '96 but not sure. Things can be turned around but it is going to take the right combination of coaches and players to make it happen. You need a no nonsense coaching staff and players that have a team mentality instead of a me mentality. There is not one player that is bigger than the team and if a coach allows that mentality to creep into the program, it is the coaches fault.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

amen 79tiger

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

I never considered the Trojans a power house, in any league, we had three really good teams in the early part of the century, but have struggled in years prior and after,its just a matter starting a new era,Im getting older, my dream of seeing a Trojans State Title, is very grim in my lifetime

14U
S

Post by 14U »

I think it’s bigger picture than just kids, players, coaches. In my opinion it’s how the towns are these days!! People moving to get away from the bad things happening, shootings, drugs and prostitution. In both towns u have gang members from bigger cities coming in and ur town is getting scary for kids not wantin to play football so they transfer or move out to county schools where all this isn’t happening. Just look how the school size has went down big time for both schools. I don’t see any out of town coach bring his family in this mess, would you? In house is the only coaches you will find to coach in these messed up towns or situation. Portsmouth and Ironton use to be a great town to bring up ur family and watch great football games, not now

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Pa Trojan wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:15 pm I never considered the Trojans a power house, in any league, we had three really good teams in the early part of the century, but have struggled in years prior and after,its just a matter starting a new era,Im getting older, my dream of seeing a Trojans State Title, is very grim in my lifetime

pa, let's agree to disagree. Portsmouth has been a powerhouse of a southern ohio football program I believe. though they have never won a state championship game. they won many league titles and have a storied playoff history, and always played an aggressive, exciting, challenging schedule. they have not had the type of success as ironton and wheelersburg playoff wise.but anyone that has ever been affiliated with the Ironton/Portsmouth game knew it was a river battle you did not want to miss, ever. I know they have lost their way success wise as of late. maybe even the last decade. but they are certainly a force to be reckoned with when they are on their game. and here's hoping that their next coach will return them back into southern football power again.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I would absolutely love to see an ironton/ny series again. but ironton's schedule does not mention Russell, ky or Ashland, ky. I cannot imagine those teams not continuing their rich playoff histories in these series'. Russell has finally taken a few from the tigers. but the Ashland/ironton series has been being played since the dinosaur were around. likely nearly as long as the ironton/Portsmouth series. I can't see them not renewing. but if they don't it could create some exciting possibilities for old rivalries to rekindle.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

maybe ironton could restart a rivalry, with ny, Portsmouth west, Athens, Jackson, logan or somebody or somebody like valley,oak hill, Minford or the like.

Return to “Football”