2018 Portsmouth Trojans Football Outlook

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Portsmouth Football Coach

Post by greygoose »

Beergoggleblues wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:34 pm I was really hoping the offense ran would be gone with a new hire. But we hired our offensive coordinator. Nothing will change. We need to throw that playbook and qb sneaks in the trash can. I'll be there every game no matter what. They wanted to hire within. There was not a thought of hiring outside the walls. That's sad. I'm sure there was some interest from others
Do you even know that they have the money to offer an outsider??? I mean everyone always screams outsider but there's just so much more that goes into it than saying, yeah let's get an outsider. Presto it's done, if it were only that easy all schools that were struggling would go get an outsider to try and rebuild their program.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

That's a good point on the money. Is Kalb a teacher?

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

Post by Beergoggleblues »

I didn't think about money. So if you are a teacher there you coach for free? Because there already on the payroll. I really don't know how it works. If a outsider wanted the job does that mean they have to teach at the school? Does bringing a person from another area cost alot of money. Do you have to be a teacher. What if John doe from Portsmouth who doesn't teach and works a regular job. Is he not getting it because he's not a teacher. Dumb questions but I don't know.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Beergoggleblues wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:30 pm I didn't think about money. So if you are a teacher there you coach for free? Because there already on the payroll. I really don't know how it works. If a outsider wanted the job does that mean they have to teach at the school? Does bringing a person from another area cost alot of money. Do you have to be a teacher. What if John doe from Portsmouth who doesn't teach and works a regular job. Is he not getting it because he's not a teacher. Dumb questions but I don't know.
Coaching salaries are separate from the teaching salaries. Different schools have different rules about if the coach has to teach at the school. I know at Coal Grove if a coaching position is open and a teacher is interested but they hire someone who does not work at the school, then both the teacher and the person they hire gets paid the salary. So it costs the district double. Sometimes that means they lose out on a more qualified coach from the outside because a teacher applied for it as well.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Generally you do like your head coaches to be teachers because I think they are invested more into the school district. Not just a hired gun. I hope whoever the new coach is, they will bring Portsmouth football back up to a competitive level. I wish them much success except if they ever play Burg again. Then I want to watch them get their teeth kicked in for that one game. Lol

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

Post by Beergoggleblues »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:53 pm
Beergoggleblues wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:30 pm I didn't think about money. So if you are a teacher there you coach for free? Because there already on the payroll. I really don't know how it works. If a outsider wanted the job does that mean they have to teach at the school? Does bringing a person from another area cost alot of money. Do you have to be a teacher. What if John doe from Portsmouth who doesn't teach and works a regular job. Is he not getting it because he's not a teacher. Dumb questions but I don't know.
Coaching salaries are separate from the teaching salaries. Different schools have different rules about if the coach has to teach at the school. I know at Coal Grove if a coaching position is open and a teacher is interested but they hire someone who does not work at the school, then both the teacher and the person they hire gets paid the salary. So it costs the district double. Sometimes that means they lose out on a more qualified coach from the outside because a teacher applied for it as well.
Sounds a bit silly to me. If I was a teacher and knew nothing about coaching id put in for it hoping they picked them so I got the money too. I guess where I'm confused is I'm thinking it's a set amount. Like if a outsider got it they know what it pays. So paying that person the said amount is no different than a admin getting the extra. It's the same amount if a Portsmouth employee got it or someone else. I know I'm missing something. But the rule that someone got double pay because a outsider got it is silly. I'm thinking too much lol.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Beergoggleblues wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:01 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:53 pm
Sounds a bit silly to me. If I was a teacher and knew nothing about coaching id put in for it hoping they picked them so I got the money too. I guess where I'm confused is I'm thinking it's a set amount. Like if a outsider got it they know what it pays. So paying that person the said amount is no different than a admin getting the extra. It's the same amount if a Portsmouth employee got it or someone else. I know I'm missing something. But the rule that someone got double pay because a outsider got it is silly. I'm thinking too much lol.
I’m not sure if any other districts have that rule like they do in Coal Grove. That is something they negotiated with their district long ago. But for example Let’s say head varsity football coach position pays $10,000/year. If I was a teacher at Coal Grove and made $40,000/year for teaching and was hired to be head coach, my yearly salary would be $50,000/year. If I was not a teacher at the school and let’s say I worked at the post office and became the head coach, then my salary from the school would only be $10,000. I’d say you can make a living being only a football coach at the bigger schools like division 1 or 2 schools.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

In the State of Ohio is not like in Texas where coaches can get paid over $100,000. I remember an AD said that Ohio you can not pay big salaries for coaches. It is restricted. It has to be negotiated by the Union anyway. Making a new positon at the school for a coach has become harder than it use to be.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Is Kalb a teacher?

I think the money is a big part of it. Football staffs are talked about alot on this site. But really outside of a teacher or retiree, who can be off in time to be at the field everyday from August through November? That's a big commitment.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

They should have at least looked outside. Go bye I am afraid to some good players. Portsmouth never seems to get things right.

Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

It was between John Born and Bruce Kalb and some how Kalb got the job. I'm not a coach but do know a bit about football. To not make adjustments as an offensive coordinator, not getting plays to your head coach in time, and calling 2 to 3 plays 90% of the time all year is very uncalled for. The AD and superintendents should be ashamed of this hire. Example: in a very tight game last year after a time out and 4 and 1 we get a delay of game . That's just one example of 100's but that one stick out. Yes I am a concerned parent not a whining parent, one that is sick of the Buddy Buddy bullshit.

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

If this is true, congrats to Bruce, I wish the best of luck to him, and he will need the support of the community...Go Trojans

hbk1999
JV Team

Post by hbk1999 »

What school will Nut’s son be starring at next year? We will all need to go watch!

Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

hbk1999 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:56 pm What school will Nut’s son be starring at next year? We will all need to go watch!
Breaking records lol in all honesty they are good people but it's went on to long with the same crew.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Pretty sure Kalb is a teacher, think he was teaching at Waverly before he came to Portsmouth. Can anyone confirm this? If so was he on the staff there a few years ago? I don’t hate this hire, but I don’t really love it either.

Who Dey!
Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

I wish the best to Bruce,I know he a very intelligent young man, he wont do this on his own either, He is smart enough to realize its not a one man show, I think he will get himself an off coordinator, and hope he surrounds him self, with good people, and most importantly his people. Good luck Bruce, would love to talk to you!

trojan_85
Waterboy

Post by trojan_85 »

Well PA TROJAN that's been the problem the school board won't let the coach bring his own people in , like has been said before on here it's the buddy kiss a** system at Portsmouth, little billy's daddy can stand up and say I want to be an assistant coach and teach my son and there he is on the side lines IT'S A JOKE

ohiobuckeyefootball
Waterboy

Post by ohiobuckeyefootball »

The way larger schools get quality coaches and are able to pay them rests in their organization. Portsmouth's school board and Superintendent refuse to allow a head coach to be an assistant principal. dean of students, or athletic director. Many schools, I know Massillon does, and other schools use this salary along with coaching stipend to bring in coaches. Once again, you are looking at a Superintendent who does not know how most schools operate that are more successful than Portsmouth athletically and academically. I am not saying hire some bum that is not going to get it done in the admin or teaching roll as well. But, That can be a start to bring in quality people.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Good luck, Prince Trojan.....

You are going to need lots of MOJO and JUJU in the years ahead!!!!!

:mrgreen:

hbk1999
JV Team

Post by hbk1999 »

Ever think about giving the new guy a chance? Duncan had the best two years you have had in the last 15. How about thinking positive and expect to continue that momentum. Maybe the constant negativity from the fan base is what truly hurts the program in the end. Merry Christmas!

Return to “Football”