Possible POY in TVC

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Possible POY in TVC

Post by Truth&fiction »

In to Jan so can we throw out some names for POY ? It might be too early with some Injuries but there has to be some insight.

VisionQuest
All State

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by VisionQuest »

I don't think anyone is really sticking out right now. Especially with the Injuries to some of the pre-season favorites. And others just have not lived up to expectations. TVC-OHIO just way down this year, the teams haven't done anything against non-conference opponents so far this year.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

In the TVC-HOCKING I would say the clear cut favorite so far is Randy Hixson from Trimble. His numbers are insane and that team Revolves around him. If he isn't on the floor I just don't see Trimble having a chance in most of their games.

AliceLoyd2013
Waterboy

Post by AliceLoyd2013 »

Yates from VC
Mattox from Meigs
****if either stay healthy

Speakman from VC

I agree, not many sticking out up to this point.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

Hixson in Hocking
Wide open in Ohio. Yates, Mattox, Baer and Butcher all have a shot however it could be none of these.

Amock0905
Freshman Team

Post by Amock0905 »

my Pick right now would be speakman from VC

The 24 year drought is over! 🏈🏆
tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

AliceLoyd2013 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:56 pm Yates from VC
Mattox from Meigs

Speakman from VC

Be nice if someone can come up with the stats for these players.

I will post Mattox after tonight's game. In the 4 complete games he has played he has averaged 23ppg..he has played half game versus VC and half game versus RV and only had 6 points in those quarters....so averaging 18ppg all together....and all with a blown ACL.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

What exactly is looked at when you consider POY? Do you look at the total body of work of a player? I mean are you looking at Rebounds, assists, blocks, steals and the overall Total package? Or is it more of the "IT" Factor and Points per Game? There are some players who aren't "FLASHY" that are going out every night and just working hard and putting their teams in the best position to win, they just don't get the Praise and mentions of these other players who are a little more "flashy"

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Speakman from VC

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Naylan Yates for me. Speakman is critical with what he does for the VC team...but Yates is the go to guy MVP on that team and from what I’ve seen the league.

Speakman is an awesome player.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

VC will eventually run away with the league ...
Yates will win POY
Combs COY

Same story, different year

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

tvc_fan wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:56 pm
Mattox from Meigs

Speakman from VC

I will post Mattox after tonight's game. In the 4 complete games he has played he has averaged 23ppg..he has played half game versus VC and half game versus RV and only had 6 points in those quarters....so averaging 18ppg all together....and all with a blown ACL.
What were his Stats tonight Vs Alex?

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

VisionQuest wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:40 am
Mattox from Meigs

Speakman from VC

He had 12 tonight

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

tvc_fan wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:03 am
VisionQuest wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:40 am

He had 12 tonight
And won by 11 so there you go. Must have been a good team effort then tonight.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

VisionQuest wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:15 pm What exactly is looked at when you consider POY? Do you look at the total body of work of a player? I mean are you looking at Rebounds, assists, blocks, steals and the overall Total package? Or is it more of the "IT" Factor and Points per Game? There are some players who aren't "FLASHY" that are going out every night and just working hard and putting their teams in the best position to win, they just don't get the Praise and mentions of these other players who are a little more "flashy"
Good question. Unfortunately people look at points only . Some of the players that lead their team in PPG are good shooters but add less than others . A POY should be someone that not only scores but makes his team mates better. Plays stellar defense , sticks his nose in there and takes a charge . Sets up his team with assist and does not get upset when someone else has more points or better stats . My vote goes to the overall player that knows there is no "I" in TEAM . IMO

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

The Miller Falcons Compston and Starlin have to enter the conservation with their win last night.
They each will be stat stuffers and have the "It" factor mentioned above.
You will find that the POY often comes from the league champ.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

There is no hard and fast rule on voting except that you have to vote for one kid.
A coach split his vote one year and prompted that rule. hahahaahah
It usually is a no brainer but there are exceptions:
At one time they had the coach list the kids on their ballot from top to bottom with the top kid getting more points than the ones lower than them.
A Girl from Federal who had a full ride Athletic Scholarship to Miami of Ohio where she played----was dead last on one coach's ballot.
So...personalities and spite does come into play at times.

Snowman2011
Riding the Bench

Post by Snowman2011 »

fortdawg wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:36 am The Miller Falcons Compston and Starlin have to enter the conservation with their win last night.
They each will be stat stuffers and have the "It" factor mentioned above.
You will find that the POY often comes from the league champ.
I was thinking the same thing. But Eveland is the best defender in the league. Hustles and guaranteed his 10+ points a game. Bartley kid is a stud also. Hixson is a stud. It’ll be a toss up. They held Hixson to 16 when he averages 30 something I beleive. Will see in the near future who wins. All great players.

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

Truth&fiction wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:11 am
VisionQuest wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:15 pm What exactly is looked at when you consider POY? Do you look at the total body of work of a player? I mean are you looking at Rebounds, assists, blocks, steals and the overall Total package? Or is it more of the "IT" Factor and Points per Game? There are some players who aren't "FLASHY" that are going out every night and just working hard and putting their teams in the best position to win, they just don't get the Praise and mentions of these other players who are a little more "flashy"
Good question. Unfortunately people look at points only . Some of the players that lead their team in PPG are good shooters but add less than others . A POY should be someone that not only scores but makes his team mates better. Plays stellar defense , sticks his nose in there and takes a charge . Sets up his team with assist and does not get upset when someone else has more points or better stats . My vote goes to the overall player that knows there is no "I" in TEAM . IMO
Great point - In my view SE OH basketball is a soft brand of basketball. Not enough kids wanting to rebound. Teams that rebound & play D win. Players who block out, dive for loose balls & hustle stand out to me.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

My view of the top 2 players is skewed a bit by their coaches IMO.

Return to “Boys Basketball”