Truth Doesn't Have a Side

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Truth Doesn't Have a Side

Post by Omega »

PHOENIX 31 reports, it is up to you deicide if the book contains actionable information. Maybe, just maybe, those, who want to see amateur football continue, should get out ahead of the coming legal and financial tsunami and lobby now to make the game safer

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Omega wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:40 pm PHOENIX 31 reports, it is up to you deicide if the book contains actionable information. Maybe, just maybe, those, who want to see amateur football continue, should get out ahead of the coming legal and financial tsunami and lobby now to make the game safer
That is awesome!

How do you make cigarettes safer?

Ummmmmm........stop smoking.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

We have to make the game safer and look at how we practice or the game will go away. The evidence is there and if we ignore it the game will go away. I am about to make a lot of people upset but kids should play flag football until Jr. High would be one suggestion. We have to be more educated on how to pick up signs of concussions and get kids out of the game when there are signs. The days of just rubbing dirt on something and telling a kid a suck it up are over. Practices that just have the kids beat on each other are also over. It is just a matter of time until two a days will be gone at the high school level-gone at pro and college level now. High school teams are only allowed to have full scale contact twice a week for 30 mins. each. How we coach the game can be done with out as much contact as in the past.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

MTSWNGRVSG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:01 pm We have to make the game safer and look at how we practice or the game will go away. The evidence is there and if we ignore it the game will go away. I am about to make a lot of people upset but kids should play flag football until Jr. High would be one suggestion. We have to be more educated on how to pick up signs of concussions and get kids out of the game when there are signs. The days of just rubbing dirt on something and telling a kid a suck it up are over. Practices that just have the kids beat on each other are also over. It is just a matter of time until two a days will be gone at the high school level-gone at pro and college level now. High school teams are only allowed to have full scale contact twice a week for 30 mins. each. How we coach the game can be done with out as much contact as in the past.
Amen!

Truth doesn't have a side.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Phoenix31 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:40 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:12 pmNo DA is going to prosecute a parent, or a school for child abuse for an event that happens on the playing field.
Just a few months ago......

http://www.newsweek.com/football-concus ... ner-691712
Nice try but that is a civil lawsuit brought against an organization by the mothers.

Entirely different than a criminal matter brought by a DA against the child's parent or the school for child abuse. As I said no DA is going to bring such a prosecution for child abuse for athletic participation in a High School sport.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

War kills ppl but we still do it. Driving your car can kill you but we still do it. Life is about choices. If you choice not to do something then don't try to come off smarter bc you think your smarter by taking the safer road.

AT THE RESERVATION
Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

Phoenix,
It's interesting that you said you haven't even read the book but promoting it lol

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

You simply can't make football safer, it's not a contact sport, it's a violent sport. People can choose not to play it and not let their kids play it. I think it's great to get the information out there and make people aware of the dangers, but, here's the thing: People already know how dangerous it is. I don't know what your intentions are by going all out about this, but it sounds like you just want to wage an all out war against football.

I really enjoyed the movie "Concussion" that told the story of Dr. Omalu and his discovery into CTE.

Football is a dangerous sport and always will be. There's nothing anyone can do about it. All you can do is make people aware.

You keep saying the truth doesn't have a side. It's not like people didn't already know football is dangerous.

It comes down to this, plain and simple, if you want to play football and accept that it is dangerous, or you don't. Simple as that.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:25 am You simply can't make football safer, it's not a contact sport, it's a violent sport. People can choose not to play it and not let their kids play it. I think it's great to get the information out there and make people aware of the dangers, but, here's the thing: People already know how dangerous it is. I don't know what your intentions are by going all out about this, but it sounds like you just want to wage an all out war against football.

I really enjoyed the movie "Concussion" that told the story of Dr. Omalu and his discovery into CTE.

Football is a dangerous sport and always will be. There's nothing anyone can do about it. All you can do is make people aware.

You keep saying the truth doesn't have a side. It's not like people didn't already know football is dangerous.

It comes down to this, plain and simple, if you want to play football and accept that it is dangerous, or you don't. Simple as that.
One problem, though (with the bold-faced text)... most football players are under the age of 18, and therefore have limited legal authority to make such a decision.

And I would say that the existence of drinking-age laws, tobacco laws, and age of sexual consent laws establish a strong precedent where risky activities involving youth are involved.

Shake”N”Bake

Post by Shake”N”Bake »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:47 pm Letting your kids play a contact sport is not child abuse.
Making excuses for them and not holding them accountable for their own actions is child abuse.
Letting then sit around playing video games and playing on their phone all day is child abuse.
Coddling them and hovering over them without letting them learn life lessons is child abuse.
Dear sweet baby Jesus!
If you don't want kids playing high school football, then why are you posting on this forum?
couldnt agree more. Great response

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I don't think the original poster is simply out to "attack football". Anyone paying attention to the research going on regarding brain damage caused by trauma to the head has to be concerned. Most of what makes nationwide news are the autopsies of former NFL players showing brain damage. However, autopsies on guys who never have played more than high school football are also showing this damage. The problem with our technology right now is that the damage can't be found for sure except on autopsies of those who have already died. There are thousands of people living right now with this brain damage and it can be causing other medical problems for them, but they don't even know it.

Technology will eventually lead to even safer helmets in the future, and there could be possible rule changes to make it less likely someone receives a blunt blow to the head in games. However, there will always be some sort of risk involved. The number of kids nationwide playing football is starting to decline, so I think some parents are already steering their kids to other non-contact sports.

As technology improves to find the brain damage in those who are currently living, I think that will have a real negative impact on participation numbers nationwide in the future.

As much as I love football, I honestly don't know if I would let my kids play football. Honestly, I think I would try to steer them toward things like cross country and track & field.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:23 amNice try but that is a civil lawsuit brought against an organization by the mothers.

Entirely different than a criminal matter brought by a DA against the child's parent or the school for child abuse. As I said no DA is going to bring such a prosecution for child abuse for athletic participation in a High School sport.
Just showing what was out there.

This is beyond the level of a DA.

I could see a state's Attorney General taking care of this in the future similar to the smoking lawsuits.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

1987chieftains wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:35 amWar kills ppl but we still do it. Driving your car can kill you but we still do it. Life is about choices. If you choice not to do something then don't try to come off smarter bc you think your smarter by taking the safer road.
You are missing the point.

Adults make decisions for children. With smoking, children are not allowed to smoke. However, some do.

Adults allowing children to play is child abuse according to Dr. Omalu because adults are allowing their children to risk damaging their own brains and those of their opponents.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Fletchlives wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:25 amPhoenix,
It's interesting that you said you haven't even read the book but promoting it lol
That is true; however, I have heard Dr. Omalu speak and I have been in contact with many of his associates. No doubt it is well worth the $10. Again, it is only $10.

Dr. Ann McKee is at Boston University. She is one of the leading experts on CTE.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:25 am You simply can't make football safer, it's not a contact sport, it's a violent sport. People can choose not to play it and not let their kids play it. I think it's great to get the information out there and make people aware of the dangers, but, here's the thing: People already know how dangerous it is. I don't know what your intentions are by going all out about this, but it sounds like you just want to wage an all out war against football.

Children should not smoke cigarettes. However, they find a way to do that.

Playing football is somewhat different. Adults allowing children to play tackle football are committing child abuse according to Dr. Omalu. Children cannot sign up for tackle football without their parents' permission.

Truth doesn't have a side.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

madpolecat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:20 amOne problem, though (with the bold-faced text)... most football players are under the age of 18, and therefore have limited legal authority to make such a decision.

And I would say that the existence of drinking-age laws, tobacco laws, and age of sexual consent laws establish a strong precedent where risky activities involving youth are involved.
Amen, madpolecat!!!

:mrgreen:

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:14 pm I don't think the original poster is simply out to "attack football". Anyone paying attention to the research going on regarding brain damage caused by trauma to the head has to be concerned. Most of what makes nationwide news are the autopsies of former NFL players showing brain damage. However, autopsies on guys who never have played more than high school football are also showing this damage. The problem with our technology right now is that the damage can't be found for sure except on autopsies of those who have already died. There are thousands of people living right now with this brain damage and it can be causing other medical problems for them, but they don't even know it.

Technology will eventually lead to even safer helmets in the future, and there could be possible rule changes to make it less likely someone receives a blunt blow to the head in games. However, there will always be some sort of risk involved. The number of kids nationwide playing football is starting to decline, so I think some parents are already steering their kids to other non-contact sports.

As technology improves to find the brain damage in those who are currently living, I think that will have a real negative impact on participation numbers nationwide in the future.

As much as I love football, I honestly don't know if I would let my kids play football. Honestly, I think I would try to steer them toward things like cross country and track & field.
Well said, NYBuckeye96!!!

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

NFL Legends help launch CLF's Flag Football Under 14 campaign to educate parents

The Concussion Legacy Foundation (CLF) announced on Thursday the launch of Flag Football Under 14, a program to educate parents on the benefits of waiting to enroll their child in tackle football until age 14. The announcement was made at a press conference in New York, NY by CLF co-founders Chris Nowinski, Ph.D. and Robert Cantu, M.D., and supporters including Pro Football Hall of Famers Nick Buoniconti and Harry Carson, and Oakland Raiders legend Phil Villapiano.

https://concussionfoundation.org/programs/flag-football

https://concussionfoundation.org/sites/ ... .18.18.pdf

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

In the above photo, Dr. Chris Nowinski (far left) has helped me obtain additional information concerning CTE resources as well.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Interesting discussion

Definitely a gray area. I wonder if these activities would be considered "abuse"

- poor diet consisting of pizza , soda, fast food,sugar ect
- forced religion . Should parents force religion on kids ? Shouldn't they be withheld from any all religious studies until they have the right to decide for themselves ?
-inactive lifestyle . Is it not abuse that kids are allowed to be lazy fat and inactive ?

I'm sure there are plenty of other issues but I would guess that with the risk of health issues that an obese inactive child would more grounds for abuse than even football.

I know youth football is the discussion at hand but where does it end ?

Return to “Football”