Top 5 All-Time from your school

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Re: Top 5 All-Time from your school

Post by OHHS old timer »

scott1297 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:38 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:57 pm Wheelersburg

1. Todd Staker-6’3” 1981-1984-started as a Sophomore-guard who could jump out of the gym. Played on two Final Four teams, 82 as a Sophomore and 84 as Senior. Burg made it to the finals in 84 losing to future NBA player Jerome Lane and Akron St. Vincent 75-71. Todd averaged around 30 in the tourney that year.

2. Andrew Burleson-6’6”, 1998-2002- started as a Freshman-could play about anywhere. Sweet shot and good hops. Could handle the ball very well for being 6’6”. I believe he is the all time leading scorer at Burg.

3. Brad Walke-6’1”, 1980-1983-started as a Sophomore. Guard who could shoot from anywhere or take you off the dribble. If three point shot would have be around he would have scored some serious points. Played on the Burg Final Four team of 81-82.

4. Jonathon Eaton-6’1”-1991-1995-started as a Freshman come tourney time helping lead A Burg team, that I believe had a losing record going to the tourney, all the way to the Regional Final. Playmaker who was good at driving to the basket and dishing off or making the shot. Helped lead Burg to the Final Four in 95 where they lost to a strong Orrville team in the state finals. Upset a strong Cols Bishop Hartley team in the semifinals.

5. Cam Miller-6’7”-2004-2007-started as a Sophomore. Good balhandler for his size. Could shoot the three or beat you off the dribble for a thunderous dunk. Helped lead Burg to back to back Final Fours in 2006 and 2007.
I would put Mark Eaton on this list he started some games as a freshman very good player terrific scorer high basketball I.Q
The Eaton kids...are they related to former OHHS coach John Eaton? Coach E was the oaks coach when I was in school.

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

loganlocos wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:25 am At Logan:

Mark Shaw, '71 - averaged over 20 points and 20 rebounds his senior season and over 20 and 18 as a junior. 2nd all-time leading scorer.

Coy Lindsey, '97 - all-time leading scorer. Great guard who could shoot the lights out.

Kerry York, '86 - had his senior season cut short due to an ankle injury. Was on pace for a 1,000 point career (without playing Varsity as a freshman)

Greg Poston, '68 - school's first 1,000 point scorer. Just a tremendous all-around athlete.

Keith Myers, '86 - teamed up with York for the best two-year run in school history, including a 22-2 season in '85-'86. That team won 21 straight even after York's knee injury and Keith picked up the slack.

This list doesn't include 1,000 point scorers Doug Stiverson ('89) or Patrick Angle ('10).

Others for consideration:
Eddie Joe Grandy ('53)
Gene Morgan ('56)
George Stump ('60)
Jim Pierce ('74?)
Tim Moore ('89)
Eric Burris ('93?)
Kevin Fisher ('14)
Bo Myers ('19)

Anybody else I'm missing, Chieftain fans?
I would definitely throw in Jeff Morgan. Great all around athlete, but basketball was probably his best sport. Pretty sure he played varsity when only a freshman and could really light it up when he got hot. I think he held a record at one time for most points in a game ,but not sure. Knee injuries really hampered his career and if he would have stayed healthy everybody would recognize that name.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Watch Gene Morgan when I was young. Great ballplayer. The Paterson brothers were good too.
Mark Shaw always seemed to be where the ball came down. He was in sports Ill. as a peewee baseball player. Pitched and won a 64/00 game. Think it was for the Hocking [Herferd's]?????.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

OHHS old timer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:15 am

1. Todd Staker-6’3” 1981-1984-started as a Sophomore-guard who could jump out of the gym. Played on two Final Four teams, 82 as a Sophomore and 84 as Senior. Burg made it to the finals in 84 losing to future NBA player Jerome Lane and Akron St. Vincent 75-71. Todd averaged around 30 in the tourney that year.

2. Andrew Burleson-6’6”, 1998-2002- started as a Freshman-could play about anywhere. Sweet shot and good hops. Could handle the ball very well for being 6’6”. I believe he is the all time leading scorer at Burg.

3. Brad Walke-6’1”, 1980-1983-started as a Sophomore. Guard who could shoot from anywhere or take you off the dribble. If three point shot would have be around he would have scored some serious points. Played on the Burg Final Four team of 81-82.

4. Jonathon Eaton-6’1”-1991-1995-started as a Freshman come tourney time helping lead A Burg team, that I believe had a losing record going to the tourney, all the way to the Regional Final. Playmaker who was good at driving to the basket and dishing off or making the shot. Helped lead Burg to the Final Four in 95 where they lost to a strong Orrville team in the state finals. Upset a strong Cols Bishop Hartley team in the semifinals.

5. Cam Miller-6’7”-2004-2007-started as a Sophomore. Good balhandler for his size. Could shoot the three or beat you off the dribble for a thunderous dunk. Helped lead Burg to back to back Final Fours in 2006 and 2007.
I would put Mark Eaton on this list he started some games as a freshman very good player terrific scorer high basketball I.Q
The Eaton kids...are they related to former OHHS coach John Eaton? Coach E was the oaks coach when I was in school.
Their dad’s name was John Eaton but not sure if he ever coached at OHHS. Maybe same guy.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:37 pm
Hard to argue that one. Maybe would add these ones:

Mike McBroom ('77)
Jack Miller ('85)
Josh Lawrence ('00)
Yes!

Great additions - McBroom and Lawrence were both SEOAL MVPs. Miller gets overshadowed by playing with Myers/York (plus DJ Conrad).

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

cbolt wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:32 am
I would definitely throw in Jeff Morgan. Great all around athlete, but basketball was probably his best sport. Pretty sure he played varsity when only a freshman and could really light it up when he got hot. I think he held a record at one time for most points in a game ,but not sure. Knee injuries really hampered his career and if he would have stayed healthy everybody would recognize that name.
Jeff's another great addition. LHS Hall of Famer. Didn't play as a freshman, but up until Doug Stiverson, Eddie Joe Grandy was the ONLY player who had.

He missed a few games each year due to his knees, you're correct.

falcon117
Riding the Bench

Post by falcon117 »

Minford

1. Steve Yeagle (all-time leading scorer)
2. Chad Barber 6'7-6'8
3. Brandon Rowe (1,000 pt scorer)
4. Jared McCray (good luck stoping 6'6 320 lbs down low)
5. Austin McBee/Eli Parkes (both 1,000 point scorers)

Also can't forget Trey and Butch Kelley, Kenton Gullion, Shawn Sommer, Ryan McGraw.

BBaller4Life
Riding the Bench

Post by BBaller4Life »

Minford’s Top Players IMO

1. Steve Yeagle - This guy was the man back in the day. Leader in several school stats including Most Points
2. Brandon Rowe - This kid had to probably be one of the best players that I’ve seen play for Minford. One of the most unselfish play makers that played for the Falcons besides being the 2nd leading scorer in school history.
3. Eli Parks - What a shooter. This kid was a great player and 5th all time leading scorer.
4. Austin McBee - One of the best defensive players to ever play for the Falcons. This kid could jump out of the gym and Minford’s 12th all time scorer.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:41 am
Their dad’s name was John Eaton but not sure if he ever coached at OHHS. Maybe same guy.
Yes that's same guy he also coached at BURG he has 3 sons Mark,Brent and Jonathon. John Eaton was a very good coach and even better person

Burg grad 85
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

scott1297 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:05 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:41 am

Yes that's same guy he also coached at BURG he has 3 sons Mark,Brent and Jonathon. John Eaton was a very good coach and even better person
I agree. Good coach better man.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

scott1297 & Proud_Pirate63 ...thanks and I agree darn good man. Thanks Coach Eaton!!!

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

loganlocos wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:25 am At Logan:

Mark Shaw, '71 - averaged over 20 points and 20 rebounds his senior season and over 20 and 18 as a junior. 2nd all-time leading scorer.

Coy Lindsey, '97 - all-time leading scorer. Great guard who could shoot the lights out.

Kerry York, '86 - had his senior season cut short due to an ankle injury. Was on pace for a 1,000 point career (without playing Varsity as a freshman)

Greg Poston, '68 - school's first 1,000 point scorer. Just a tremendous all-around athlete.

Keith Myers, '86 - teamed up with York for the best two-year run in school history, including a 22-2 season in '85-'86. That team won 21 straight even after York's knee injury and Keith picked up the slack.

This list doesn't include 1,000 point scorers Doug Stiverson ('89) or Patrick Angle ('10).

Others for consideration:
Eddie Joe Grandy ('53)
Gene Morgan ('56)
George Stump ('60)
Jim Pierce ('74?)
Tim Moore ('89)
Eric Burris ('93?)
Kevin Fisher ('14)
Bo Myers ('19)

Anybody else I'm missing, Chieftain fans?
I thought LAWRENCE had nice game very crafty

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Old school from Waverly: Bob Thompson (OSU), Denny Thompson (Ohio), Phil Miller (Ohio), John Shoemaker (Miami). The fifth spot could come from one of Doug Tracy, Rick Eblin, Trevor Wall (NMSU football), and Jake Kretzer (Akron).

Full disclosure, my knowledge of Tiger basketball is close to zero from 1980 to 2000.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Omega wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:15 am Old school from Waverly: Bob Thompson (OSU), Denny Thompson (Ohio), Phil Miller (Ohio), John Shoemaker (Miami). The fifth spot could come from one of Doug Tracy, Rick Eblin, Trevor Wall (NMSU football), and Jake Kretzer (Akron).

Full disclosure, my knowledge of Tiger basketball is close to zero from 1980 to 2000.
I don't want to come off as a jerk here, but there's no way Walls is even in the same discussion as Kretzer if it coming down to one spot. I know the Thompson's and Shoemaker were great, don't know about Miller, but if he went to OU, he had to be good.

But, Kretzer completely carried a Tiger team to a District Title his senior year and is easily the all time leading scorer. I know the good argument about the 3 point line, but that kid could score from anywhere. Had a really nice career at Akron as well.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

danicalifornia wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:21 am
Omega wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:15 am Old school from Waverly: Bob Thompson (OSU), Denny Thompson (Ohio), Phil Miller (Ohio), John Shoemaker (Miami). The fifth spot could come from one of Doug Tracy, Rick Eblin, Trevor Wall (NMSU football), and Jake Kretzer (Akron).

I don't want to come off as a jerk here, but there's no way Walls is even in the same discussion as Kretzer if it coming down to one spot. I know the Thompson's and Shoemaker were great, don't know about Miller, but if he went to OU, he had to be good.

But, Kretzer completely carried a Tiger team to a District Title his senior year and is easily the all time leading scorer. I know the good argument about the 3 point line, but that kid could score from anywhere. Had a really nice career at Akron as well.
You are never a jerk and your opinions are valued.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Don't forget Scott Gray, (Dayton) Brian Bays (Miami) and Jeff Meadows (Kent State) from the 70's, all played D1 college basketball.
Gray as a senior,averaged 25 points and 13 rebounds a game. And some thought he was even better on defense.
They called him the 'Pete Rose of Basketball' in southern Ohio because he was the hardest working and most motivated player seen in the area.

When he went to the highly-respected 'Five Star' basketball camp in Pittsburgh with 300 other blossoming stars, he was voted 'Mr. Hustle.' When he went back the next year and competed with another 300, he again was named 'Mr. Hustle. Heavily-recruited, Gray chose the University of Dayton.
Dayton coaches referred to him as a potential 'major factor' in the team's success the next four years, but a foot injury slowed down his career.

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

Dan Brisker, Oak Hill, averaged 31 pig his senior year in the 64-65 season. He may have scored over 2,000 in high school. Can anyone confirm that?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

one Oak wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:05 pm Dan Brisker, Oak Hill, averaged 31 pig his senior year in the 64-65 season. He may have scored over 2,000 in high school. Can anyone confirm that?
I thought Adrian was OH scoring leader.

Brisker could golf. 12x FV Champ

Didn’t golf all year...played in Championship Flight and won....he was in his 50’s I believe too

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

Adrian Hayes did score over 2,000 points and is the leading scorer, but I thought Brisker may have also scored over 2,000. An interesting side note on Hayes is that he scored 30 points against Chauney-Dover in a 1952 game, but Chauncey-Dover football star Hubert "Hubbie" Bobo tied him for high scorer in the Oaks 82-59 win.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

one Oak wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:45 pm Adrian Hayes did score over 2,000 points and is the leading scorer, but I thought Brisker may have also scored over 2,000. An interesting side note on Hayes is that he scored 30 points against Chauney-Dover in a 1952 game, but Chauncey-Dover football star Hubert "Hubbie" Bobo tied him for high scorer in the Oaks 82-59 win.
I just thought he was the only male player in county history to surpass 2,000

Return to “Boys Basketball”