High School

ManitouDan2
SE

Re: High School

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Burg did have some students transfer in , but the girls doing the heavy lifting are Burg kids through and through . Look at the past few years -- Faith Howard , Michal Cunningham , Taylor Dempsey , Laiken Salyers ( prob others ) , and this new group with Sarah Claxon , Boo Sturgill , Sydney Spense and others .. it certainly isnt like Burg's talent was low and in came recruits to save the day . I guess B Klaiber did transfer in and helped , so who transferred in and created this all star team ?

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

Multiple girls you just named parents did not attend Burg. They moved them there to be part of it.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

So going to school there from grades 1-12 isnt good enough if your parents didnt go there ? Whatever , I dont have a dog in the fight but it was my opinion burg's best players ( 90% or so ) were kids who went to grade school , jr high and HS there .. thats good enough for me . Who cares where mommy and daddy went to school ?

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

Your not seeing the argument here. Your misunderstanding, they are talking about why people choose Burg over other programs. Multiple girls you named live outside Burg district but did attend Burg K-12.
The question is why Burg and not their current district.

Short answer, their parents knew Burg has the better programs. I don't fault them for that. Maybe of other programs would get their act together and become more appealing it would help take away from the "Scioto County All Star Team"

My personal opinion though in Softball is Oak Hill is only a season or two away from knocking Burg off.

KSW
Riding the Bench

Post by KSW »

I think open enrollment is a great option. Why should it be a kid's responsibility to "take one for the team" and stay in a terrible program or school. My daughter changed schools her 8th grade year. Best decision we ever made. Better school district, better academics, sports, administration. It was a very difficult decision for me and my wife, easy for my daughter. She is a junior now and is very happy.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:49 am Your not seeing the argument here. Your misunderstanding, they are talking about why people choose Burg over other programs. Multiple girls you named live outside Burg district but did attend Burg K-12.
The question is why Burg and not their current district.

Short answer, their parents knew Burg has the better programs. I don't fault them for that. Maybe of other programs would get their act together and become more appealing it would help take away from the "Scioto County All Star Team"

My personal opinion though in Softball is Oak Hill is only a season or two away from knocking Burg off.
Yes, that is what I was trying to say. I don't think anyone should have to stay in a terrible program or school because they live in that school district, but not everyone has that option. Good for them if they can do it. I'm just saying, it's hard for anyone else to compete with Burg for that reason.

Oak Hill will have a very young team. All of the girls have grown up together in the little village of Oak Hill and have been playing ball together since they were 7-8 years old. The parents have invested a lot of time to help these kids get to where they are now and hopefully continue to get better.

AIM
Waterboy

Post by AIM »

Not to say Burg does not have high academics but to imply that kids are transferring there for anything but sports is ridiculous! What is funny is that people are talking about the transfers making them championship teams. What I see is that the "raised through the system" Burg kids are the ones on the field. The transfers are either coming in to ride the coat tails of the home grown to be able to say " I was on a State Championship team" but never see the field or because they think they are so good they will win out a spot from a Burg player. Can only have so many on the field. If players are about equal the Burg kid will play. A real shame to think there are quality players willing to sit the bench at Burg rather than play at their home district. Maybe if everyone stayed put and worked on their team and program the leagues would be more competitive all around and make everyone better.
Last edited by AIM on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

AIM
Waterboy

Post by AIM »

Not to say Burg does not have high academics but to imply that kids are transferring there for anything but sports is ridiculous! What is funny is that people are talking about the transfers making them championship teams. What I see is that the "raised through the system" Burg kids are the ones on the field. The transfers are either coming in to ride the coat tails of the home grown to be able to say " I was on a State Championship team" but never see the field or because they think they are so good they will win out a spot from a Burg player. Can only have so many on the field. If players are about equal the Burg kid will play. A real shame to think there are quality players willing to sit the bench at Burg rather than play at their home district. Maybe if everyone stayed put and worked on their team and program the leagues would be more competitive all around and make everyone better.
Last edited by AIM on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oddthomas
Waterboy

Post by Oddthomas »

Wheelersburg - enrollment - 149 Competitive Balance +16
Minford - enrollment - 155 CB +15
Waverly - enrollment - 201 CB +21
West - enrollment - 138 CB +3
Valley - enrollment - 111 CB +3
West Union - enrollment - 139 CB +5

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Whats a competitive balance ?

Oddthomas
Waterboy

Post by Oddthomas »

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Thanks for the link but has anyone got the cliff notes version ?

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

Its a method that OHSAA put in place to balance private/public schools and open enrollment. OHSAA has a formula they use to determine how many "students" they add to a schools number in determining what division they will play in for sports. If a school has a lot of kids that open enroll into a school district that may push the school from a Division 5 school to a division 4 school in a certain sport.

As an example Bishop Ready had 143 male students counted when looking at what division they will play in for football this pas season. OHSAA added an additional 50 "students" to their count to take it up to 193. So when OHSAA determines divisions they are using the 193 number not the 143.

It doesn't mean that Bishop Ready had 50 students outside of their district enroll. That is just the number that resulted from the formula OHSAA uses.

I am not an expert on competitive balance so if I messed anything up someone can correct me.

Oddthomas
Waterboy

Post by Oddthomas »

Enrollment count is done every 2 years to give you the base #
The AD then has to go through each student on that sports roster to determine if they are tier 0,1 or 2
If student and at least 1 parent live in the district they are tier 0 and they don't affect the count
If not but they have been continuously enrolled since the 7th grade they are tier 1 and have to add 1 to the count
If they transfer after 7th grade year they are tier 2 and for softball you add 5 to the count
This is for public schools, private schools have some different rules
That's the basics

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

thanks , didnt know such a system existed .

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

It's a good system. I was unsure of what grade it started. I was thinking 9th grade.

I've seen a few kids around here use a friend's address or distant relative. So the process isn't exact but it does help competitive balance.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:25 pm It's a good system. I was unsure of what grade it started. I was thinking 9th grade.

I've seen a few kids around here use a friend's address or distant relative. So the process isn't exact but it does help competitive balance.
Not sure why you would do that with open enrollment

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

To cheat the competitive balance numbers. Read the posts we were referencing and how competitive balance works with OHSAA

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:21 am To cheat the competitive balance numbers. Read the posts we were referencing and how competitive balance works with OHSAA
I read the posts. I understand competitive balance. just not sure I’m buying into local schools or family’s trying to cheat the numbers.
The kids I I know move in but the majority of the kids that count are the ones that have went to the schools since kindergarten but have always lived just outside of the district
Ohsaa came up with it a few years back but I think the fall of 17 was when it actually started

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

I've seen the numbers cheated. But I'd say it's happening everywhere with the bigger schools/programs

Return to “Softball”