Rules that the OHSAA should get rid of???

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Rules that the OHSAA should get rid of???

Post by trojandave »

Change over and back to make it easier to understand and call for an official. Still confuses me even as much as I watch basketball. I have seen it missed several times this year.

Putting in the arc underneath the basket would be a very good idea. Much easier block or charge call for an official.

golfis4me
Riding the Bench

Post by golfis4me »

hitman 23 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:45 pm
Buckeye_storm wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:25 pm Jr high boys using a 28.5 ball let them use the 29.5, also allowing more than two people per travel team.
i totally agree with the ball. That is CRAZY
I'm on the other side on this one. I hear many WV coaches begging to go back to the 28.5 ball. The majority of kids on middle school teams aren't strong enough to shoot or handle a men's ball without diminishing their form or fundamentals. Granted, their are many kids in middle school who are strong enough who would benefit from playing with the men's ball.
hitman 23 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:46 pm
falconbball wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:01 pm here is a couple they should add, 45 sec. shot clock, and the half circle line to determine a charge that is taken to far under the rim, not sure what its called but that would help a little on if the player is above that line taking a charge
i personally agree with the half circle line for sure
You guys must want something else to yell at the officials about :lol:

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:02 pm The only way to get rid of the five count is to have a shot clock.
Bingo! 35 second shot block and u can get rid of the 5 second count.

Sportsnut
Waterboy

Post by Sportsnut »

They need to get rid of the 3 point line. Teaches to many bad shooting habits. They need to get rid of the alternate possession. Give the defense that tied it up a chance to win the tip. Quit trying to make the game into a college game. You have young men and women who want to play the game. If you had a team of McDonalds All Americans then I could see why you would want to change things to make the game faster. But that isn't the case with schools in this area. I think it needs to get back to some original rules and make the fundamentals more important to the success of the team.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

golfis4me wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:45 pm OHSAA needs to add more time to JV games. 6 minute quarters is not fair to those kids. Not sure what Kentucky does, but West Virginia and Indiana both play full 32 minute games.

The closely guarded rule could go away. It is called so inconsistently anyways. It isn't an "arms length away" as I hear so much. It's 6 feet! Which is much more than an arm length.

Keep the restricted arc area out of high school basketball. There is a lot more going on in that rule than just the arc. Knowing where the drive started, whether the defender was a primary or secondary defender, etc all goes into determining whether the restricted area applies.
The 6 min JV is your school or League and NOT the OHSAA as JV can play 7:00 quarters.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

mlittle wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:52 pm
Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:02 pm The only way to get rid of the five count is to have a shot clock.
Bingo! 35 second shot block and u can get rid of the 5 second count.
college got the 5 second count when ball inside the foul line all the cross the court and baseline

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

itsme wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:29 pm make every fan take a 10 hour coarse on the rules, some of the refs can attend also
Yes, a lot of fans are pretty "coarse" on the rules, especially the "over the back" and 3 seconds!

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I see kids dunk in pregame and see nothing done about it. Maybe the refs are not on court when it happens. But see it quite a bit in layup lines at least once.

farmer8
Riding the Bench

Post by farmer8 »

personally I hate that the refs tell the players not too roll their shorts, I mean if they dont fit let them roll them just a stupid rule.

WHOS YOUR FARMER?????
Prepper
Waterboy

Post by Prepper »

Honestly, I don't think you should be taken out of the game after 5 fouls. Some schools are put at a disadvantage by this due to having a small roster and not having any subs. Its just high school basketball, not the NBA.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

mhs95_06 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:21 am
itsme wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:29 pm make every fan take a 10 hour coarse on the rules, some of the refs can attend also
Yes, a lot of fans are pretty "coarse" on the rules, especially the "over the back" and 3 seconds!
maybe a "COURSE" on the rules would be better

BigChuck
JV Team

Post by BigChuck »

Prepper wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:32 am Honestly, I don't think you should be taken out of the game after 5 fouls. Some schools are put at a disadvantage by this due to having a small roster and not having any subs. Its just high school basketball, not the NBA.
That's the whole freaking idea! Play good defense and you are not in this situation. You must be one of those people that feels each kid should get a 2 foot trophy for simply showing up. GEEEEEEZZZZZZ!!!!!!

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

keep them in the game....after that a foul on that player results in three fouls shots and to inbounds and the next two jump balls. :lol:

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Ol' Bud
Waterboy

Post by Ol' Bud »

IMO blocking fouls shouldn't exist. It should be a charge anytime contact is made. Period

watermeloncrawl
Waterboy

Post by watermeloncrawl »

BigChuck wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:00 am
Prepper wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:32 am Honestly, I don't think you should be taken out of the game after 5 fouls. Some schools are put at a disadvantage by this due to having a small roster and not having any subs. Its just high school basketball, not the NBA.
That's the whole freaking idea! Play good defense and you are not in this situation. You must be one of those people that feels each kid should get a 2 foot trophy for simply showing up. GEEEEEEZZZZZZ!!!!!!
i agree man people like this on the preps are just stupid

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

Get rid of the Euro-step

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I thought the “over the back” call is a shove in the back?

See to many fans hollering about it when ever the 6’7 kid takes the rebound over a smaller kid without really making contact (in the back)

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
wvabuckeye
Waterboy

Post by wvabuckeye »

N2Hoops wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:49 pm
king kong wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:10 pm Dont get rid of any rule, but please for the love of all things holy, bring back the palming the basketball call and jump stop then pivot then pass that never gets called anymore!
Jump stop and pivot ? That's just good fundamental basketball imo.
N2 . . , straight from the case book

A1 catches the ball while both feet are off the floor, alights on one foot, jumps off that foot and comes to a stop with both feet simultaneously hitting the floor. A1 then lifts one foot and throws for a goal or passes.

RULING: Legal. A1 may lift either foot in passing or trying for a goal in this situation. However, A1 may not pivot; that is, A1 may not lift one foot from the floor and then step (touch the floor) with that foot before the ball has left the hand(s). By rule, a pivot means a player “steps once or more than once with the same foot

Go Bucks! Go Bengals!
Go Cavs! Go Reds! Go Indians!
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

carbon_dated wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:45 am Get rid of the Euro-step
the Euro step isn’t traveling so why would u get rid of it? You’d have to ban basically every move the offensive player has to avoid the defender.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Another “rule” I’d like to see modified is for reserve games to not be played into overtime. This probably would have to be effected on a league-by-league basis, though. If freshman or JV is tied after four periods, call it a tie. I realize this isn’t a very popular position, but it’s a bit much when varsity games aren’t tipping off until well past 8pm because there’s overtime (or worse, double overtime) in the JV game.

Return to “Boys Basketball”