Re: Who will replace Ed Fry at Meigs?

Post by itsme »

panthers77 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:29 pm heard yates applied
Why would he after what he wanted Meigs to do and they never

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

Chuck Finley wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:52 pm Cleland has like zero experience.
How much did every current or former coach in the history of basketball have before their first experience? just saying
I look for them to hire someone that is not an Alumni from Meigs.

Chuck Finley
Riding the Bench

Post by Chuck Finley »

TVC wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:08 pm
Chuck Finley wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:52 pm Cleland has like zero experience.
How much did every current or former coach in the history of basketball have before their first experience? just saying
I look for them to hire someone that is not an Alumni from Meigs.
None I can think of started a varsity coach with no experience.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

He means every varsity coach started with no varsity experience

PheasantBreeder
Waterboy

Post by PheasantBreeder »

Resurgent_Thinker wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:40 pm Coach Hill from Eastern?
I think this is the best choice for Meigs and Eastern all together. Coach Kight could come do his thing at Eastern and Hill could move on to Meigs and try his hand there.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

PheasantBreeder wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:20 am
I think this is the best choice for Meigs and Eastern altogether. Coach Kight could come do his thing at Eastern and Hill could move on to Meigs and try his hand there.
My understanding is that Coach Hill will remain the head coach at Eastern unless he steps down on his own. Knowing Coach Hill, I would be surprised if he did that. But crazier things have happened, and it would not be the first time I've been wrong!

Bravo3
Waterboy

Post by Bravo3 »

Fonzie wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:24 am
PheasantBreeder wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:20 am
I think this is the best choice for Meigs and Eastern altogether. Coach Kight could come do his thing at Eastern and Hill could move on to Meigs and try his hand there.
My understanding is that Coach Hill will remain the head coach at Eastern unless he steps down on his own. Knowing Coach Hill, I would be surprised if he did that. But crazier things have happened, and it would not be the first time I've been wrong!
I feel it's time for Hill to move on from Eastern. I do not dislike the guy at all, I'm sure he tries his best but after 5yrs, something just doesn't seem right with the program. It's just not clicking in a positive way like it should. Too much bickering between the coach and players. Questionable in game moves and adjustments. Not much development of the team/players throughout the season. But that's just a fans observation and I have no idea what goes on in practice.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Bravo3,

I think it takes a special kind of person to coach kids these days. Kids aren't like they were 15+ years ago. Coaches are basically in a battle trying to teach discipline all alone. Don't get me wrong, some kids still have parents that keep their kids in check and hold them to high standards, however, there is a much larger percentage that doesn't have the same ideals. Anymore, if a kid doesn't play, it's because the coach "has it out" for little Johnny, never a look at what the kid brings to the table. How much work does he put in, does he give the most effort in practice, offseason, ect. All society wants to do is create excuses for kids rather than hold them to a higher standard. When/If there is a change in how we expect these young men and women to act, you will see a decline in the bickering. This stuff happens all over the place, it's not just at Eastern, it is nationwide. How much of that can you put on a coach when it happens across the county? The trend seems to be the revolving door of coaches, maybe its time to look at it from another angle. I will give you that not every coach is a good fit for a program but if you actually have a coach that puts in the time and effort, you might want to think about holding onto them. Maybe I stand on an island alone with this philosophy, and that's okay by me, just how I see it.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

Super trooper wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:15 am He means every varsity coach started with no varsity experience
Exactly

Ballboy
Waterboy

Post by Ballboy »

Fonzie wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:21 am Bravo3,

I think it takes a special kind of person to coach kids these days. Kids aren't like they were 15+ years ago. Coaches are basically in a battle trying to teach discipline all alone. Don't get me wrong, some kids still have parents that keep their kids in check and hold them to high standards, however, there is a much larger percentage that doesn't have the same ideals. Anymore, if a kid doesn't play, it's because the coach "has it out" for little Johnny, never a look at what the kid brings to the table. How much work does he put in, does he give the most effort in practice, offseason, ect. All society wants to do is create excuses for kids rather than hold them to a higher standard. When/If there is a change in how we expect these young men and women to act, you will see a decline in the bickering. This stuff happens all over the place, it's not just at Eastern, it is nationwide. How much of that can you put on a coach when it happens across the county? The trend seems to be the revolving door of coaches, maybe its time to look at it from another angle. I will give you that not every coach is a good fit for a program but if you actually have a coach that puts in the time and effort, you might want to think about holding onto them. Maybe I stand on an island alone with this philosophy, and that's okay by me, just how I see it.
Fonzie,
You are so right! You hit the nail on the head!

sandstorm23
Freshman Team

Post by sandstorm23 »

Any rumblings about the hiring process lately? Will they be quick to act or will this go into the summer?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

There's an abundance of good coaches out there, some young some older. The problem is there are good coaches who are stepping away from the game due to the nonsense that Fonzie has pointed out (great post by the way). Meigs needs an outsider to come in with strong knowledge that will teach kids discipline, run the program the right way, and not put up with any parental nonsense. However, for that to happen, that coach needs a STRONG support system from the administration and school board at Meigs..... and I'm not sure any coach is going to get that support.

Best of luck to Meigs in the hiring process. I understand there's loads of talent coming through so someone could really make something special out of it. But again, it takes MUCH more than just a talented/knowledgeable coach to have a successful program.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
coyote
Riding the Bench

Post by coyote »

Jeremy Hill

Penguin
Freshman Team

Post by Penguin »

How about Fenton from SW?

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:23 am There's an abundance of good coaches out there, some young some older. The problem is there are good coaches who are stepping away from the game due to the nonsense that Fonzie has pointed out (great post by the way). Meigs needs an outsider to come in with strong knowledge that will teach kids discipline, run the program the right way, and not put up with any parental nonsense. However, for that to happen, that coach needs a STRONG support system from the administration and school board at Meigs..... and I'm not sure any coach is going to get that support.

Best of luck to Meigs in the hiring process. I understand there's loads of talent coming through so someone could really make something special out of it. But again, it takes MUCH more than just a talented/knowledgeable coach to have a successful program.
Absolutely. I know too many young guys who are good and will not coach. Good luck to Meigs in their search

Making offers you can't refuse
Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

At this point it's best to stay in house. You have a "proven winner" who reportedly wants the job in "NFL." So let him have it and move on. No need to bring in someone who didn't work out at another school and take a chance. Let "NFL" have it and see what he can do.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Jim Ryan wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:05 pm At this point it's best to stay in house. You have a "proven winner" who reportedly wants the job in "NFL." So let him have it and move on. No need to bring in someone who didn't work out at another school and take a chance. Let "NFL" have it and see what he can do.
Can this stuff stop? It is what got the last post about this shut down. We all get it, you're a huge "fan" of Coach Bartrum and you really love to let every person know it.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:43 pm
Jim Ryan wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:05 pm At this point it's best to stay in house. You have a "proven winner" who reportedly wants the job in "NFL." So let him have it and move on. No need to bring in someone who didn't work out at another school and take a chance. Let "NFL" have it and see what he can do.
Can this stuff stop? It is what got the last post about this shut down. We all get it, you're a huge "fan" of Coach Bartrum and you really love to let every person know it.
People that make the consistent post such as Jim, gives off the impression that he is quite jealous of Coach Bartrum. Hate him or Love him, he has nothing but good intentions for Meigs Local and Meigs County as a whole. He definitely didn't have to come back to his hometown and try to give back, but here he is. Just accept that he is the coach, if he loses his job, then you can tell all us all how you knew it was coming, until then, just let it go. Lets actually try to stick to the topic that this thread is actually about.

Anyone close enough to Meigs to know how soon they tend to try and fill basketball positions?

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

I see some of you are butt hurt about my support for "NFL." Don't be jealous of him for what he has done. No one looks down on you just because you couldn't play in the pros. Hopefully no one in charge is jealous enough of him to let that keep them from giving him the job. That program has been a mess for years, and it could use some stability like what he brought to the football program. So I for one hope they can look past what all you naysayers are spewing out and give him a chance.

Chuck Finley
Riding the Bench

Post by Chuck Finley »

bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:23 am There's an abundance of good coaches out there, some young some older. The problem is there are good coaches who are stepping away from the game due to the nonsense that Fonzie has pointed out (great post by the way). Meigs needs an outsider to come in with strong knowledge that will teach kids discipline, run the program the right way, and not put up with any parental nonsense. However, for that to happen, that coach needs a STRONG support system from the administration and school board at Meigs..... and I'm not sure any coach is going to get that support.

They had that guy. His name was Ed Fry.

Return to “Boys Basketball”