Rumors abound...Who is TVC-Ohio COY and why?

hawkeyepierce
S

Rumors abound...Who is TVC-Ohio COY and why?

Post by hawkeyepierce »

It is rumored that Coach Rod Bentley was NOT named COY in the TVC-Ohio. In fact, he received only one vote. He went undefeated in the league and re-wrote the record book at Vinton County for Girls' Basketball, but his peers shunned him. Now, that may be attributed to the man's perceived character and personality. However, I think it says more about those who refused to vote for him. In a year, when then should have been no doubt, there was. It would have been different if the TVC-Ohio race was closer, but it wasn't. Therefore, the absence of votes, well...seem petty and spiteful.

If you wish to make the argument that a coach was more deserving, because he worked harder, he did more with less, then so be it. Lets make that standard every year, instead of some arbitrary popularity contest.

I am asking, because I am curious as to what others may think, and their interpretation of these awards.

By the way, Coach Bentley could care less, he would rather put numbers on the banner, numbers that will be there until the end of time, than to receive a plaque.

Fletchlives
JV Team

Re: Rumors abound...Who is TVC-Ohio COY and why?

Post by Fletchlives »

Who it world got it then? wow

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I believe it to be Coach Jeff Grinstead. He did a nice job at Alex; however, he had three league losses.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I don't personally know a single coach who cares about getting COY.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Don’t press for 4 quarters and leave your starters in the whole game

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:39 pm It is rumored that Coach Rod Bentley was NOT named COY in the TVC-Ohio. In fact, he received only one vote. He went undefeated in the league and re-wrote the record book at Vinton County for Girls' Basketball, but his peers shunned him. Now, that may be attributed to the man's perceived character and personality. However, I think it says more about those who refused to vote for him. In a year, when then should have been no doubt, there was. It would have been different if the TVC-Ohio race was closer, but it wasn't. Therefore, the absence of votes, well...seem petty and spiteful.

If you wish to make the argument that a coach was more deserving, because he worked harder, he did more with less, then so be it. Lets make that standard every year, instead of some arbitrary popularity contest.

I am asking, because I am curious as to what others may think, and their interpretation of these awards.

By the way, Coach Bentley could care less, he would rather put numbers on the banner, numbers that will be there until the end of time, than to receive a plaque.
Would not be the first undefeated coach to not win COY in the TVC. It is what it is, Vinton had a great season, and congrats to Coach Bentley and the players.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:56 pm Don’t press for 4 quarters and leave your starters in the whole game
He didn't. His 2nd team was better than your first team.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:32 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:56 pm Don’t press for 4 quarters and leave your starters in the whole game
Don't lie. Your top 6 players scored 85 points. Bentley ran it up and I'm glad VC lost early. Great karma

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Sounds like someone is hurting from a loss to VC

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

Waterfords coach is notorious for running the score up. I was at my nieces game a few years ago where Waterford had a 47 point lead and he was still pressing. Then he got the sportsmanship, ethics and integrity award a couple years later....classy (sarcasm intended)

PheasantBreeder
Waterboy

Post by PheasantBreeder »

Coach Jacob Parker from Eastern?

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Raider6309 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:00 pm
hawkeyepierce wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:32 pm
Don't lie. Your top 6 players scored 85 points. Bentley ran it up and I'm glad VC lost early. Great karma
One, I don't lie. Two, at the time he had a team of 11 players, so it may stand to reason, that the top 6 may score a majority of the points. Next, Coach Bentley has never played zone. His teams have always been fast, full-court aggressiveness, man-to-man style of play. However, in that particular game, especially coming out at halftime, they picked up at the half court and played man-to-man. Thus, the statement the 2nd team was better than your first team. I am sorry. You surely don't expect a coach to tell his 2nd team not to play, or to fall back into a "Pee-Wee" 2-3 zone just so the other team can get shots up?

Personally, I cringed a little when I saw the score. Because, I too, is a big believer in Karma, and somewhere down the road, it will happen to him. In fact, the year before and the year before that, Coach Bentley and the Lady Vikings were boat-raced by Marysville Panthers twice. So it happens. It is part of the game. It happened this year to Coach Combs and the Vikings, the first Logan game, was very ugly and the Vikings lost by 39 points. The point is, it happens. It is a coaching hazard. Moreover, to cry about it, well...it is counter-productive and self-defeating. It is time to get over it and move on.

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

Never played zone? Better go back and watch some tape.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Better yet, I will just call Coach Bentley up and ask him. I am sure they played some zone, maybe less than 20% of the time. They primarily hung their hat on their man-to-man defensive pressure.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

TVC Drama - Does it ever end?

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

If you're sure they played some zone, then don't say never.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:35 am Better yet, I will just call Coach Bentley up and ask him. I am sure they played some zone, maybe less than 20% of the time. They primarily hung their hat on their man-to-man defensive pressure.
They ran zone some zone against NY in the first matchup. Can't remember if they did or not in the second game.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Ff3233 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:14 pm If you're sure they played some zone, then don't say never.

Ok. Ok. OK. They hardly ever. :roll:

Return to “Girls Basketball”