2018/19 OVC

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

2018/19 OVC

Post by trojandave »

Please post
  • Outlooks
  • Predictions
  • Schedules & Results
  • POY Predictions
  • Standings
2018/19 Chesapeake Panthers viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69697
2018/19 Coal Grove Hornets viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69704
2018/19 Fairland Dragons viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69459
2018/19 Gallia Academy Blue Devils viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68086
2018/19 Ironton Tigers viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69701
2018/19 Portsmouth Trojans viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69702
2018/19 Rock Hill Redmen viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69575
2018/19 South Point Pointers viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69700

The 2017-2018 season saw 2 OVC schools, Fairland and Coal Grove, make the regionals in their respective divisions. The 2018-2019 season could possibly see that happen again, but it most likely will be by different schools. Here is a rundown of how I think the conference plays out next season:

1. Gallia Academy..........prohibitive favorite to win the OVC, return 4 starters, only lose Evan Wiseman, Blue Devils could go undefeated in conference play and could possibly make the regional in D2. 7-0 Zach Loveday should be the conference POY. He will be a matchup nightmare.
2. Ironton....................return virtually everybody, including Charlie Large, Ethan Wilson, and Reed Carrico. IHS lost quite a few close games last year despite their overall 8-16 record. Tigers always bring it on the defensive end, but can they generate enough offense?
3. Chesapeake..............Panthers return 4 starters, including Eli Archer, who had a very good varsity season as a freshman. One concern for the Peake is can they find enough outside shooting?
4. South Point..............Tayshawn Fox and post player Webb (sophomore next season) return for the Pointers in addition to a couple of other players. JV team looked to have some players that will impact the varsity.
5. Fairland..................Despite losing all 5 starters, the Dragons will still be respectable, but realistically figure to take a step back. They will have some very good incoming freshman as their 8th grade team won the junior high OVC title.
6. Coal Grove..............Hornets return PG Aaron Music and SG Casey Borders, but lost key players Sam Angelo and Jeb Jones. In a very competitive OVC, they will be hard pressed to move into the top 2 or 3.
7. Portsmouth.............Trojans lost 4 starters, only Fairland lost more, but PHS does return leading scorer Matthew Fraulini. 6-3 soph-to-be transfer Miles Shipp (ND) will give them an athletic/physical presence at the wing. Danny Lattimore and Myquel McKinley look to fill other starting slots. Sophomores-to-be Devin McLaurin and Michael Duncan figure to get good minutes. Trojans still a year away from title contention.
8. Rock Hill................the Redmen have had a hard time getting any momentum going with their program, but they should certainly be capable of getting more than 1 OVC win as they did last season. Their lone OVC win in 2017-2018 was at South Point.

Of course with player movement in today's basketball, rosters may have quite a different look by the time December comes around. But for right now, that's the way I see the OVC in 2018-2019. The conference should still be very competitive, at least in the top half, and there are some teams that need to retool. It will be interesting to see which new players will make a big impact on their teams.

Firebreather
Freshman Team

Re: Very Early OVC Preview 2018-2019

Post by Firebreather »

Good rundown Dave! Interested in who you think will be the other Regional Qualifier? I see Gallia as one. I don't see anyone else competing for Regionals though.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Firebreather: I actually think Ironton could get to the regionals, and possibly Chesapeake. Their main competition for the district title will be Wheelersburg and Eastern Pike. The Burg returns 3 starters, including Tanner Holden, while Eastern Pike returns at least 4 maybe all 5 starters....not sure about PG Evan Leist. Ironton gave Wheelersburg a really tough game in the Jackson sectional, losing only 53-47. Gallia Academy has the best chance to reach the regionals, but I wouldn't count out the OVC getting a D3 team in the Sweet 16.

DKing
Waterboy

Post by DKing »

Evan Leist returns next year. I think Eastern loses a couple players but Leist isn't one of them.

Unbiased
Waterboy

Post by Unbiased »

Great rundown trojandave. The only part that I disagree with is Fairland finishing 5th in the conference. It seems like a lot of the conference is not losing many seniors and I understand that the Dragons are losing all five of their starters. However, I believe that the Dragons still have the potential to finish 2nd in an OVC that will be competitive in the top half. From what I understand, the Dragons will return six juniors, including four that will start or play big minutes. I may not know as much as I should but from what I've seen in the limited games I watched, but Monalak, Lambiotte, WIlcoxin may have been overshadowed by this years seniors. Monalak gave some valuable minutes at the games I had watched. Plus, even though the only time I saw Clayton Thomas play was against VC at the Convo, I'm sure that if he grows before next season, the OVC better watch out. I do agree that there doesn't seem to be any height left in the OVC to fight with Loveday so they may on their way to undefeated OVC play. Then there are unpredictable teams such as Ironton, Chesapeake, and Rock Hill who could surprise people due to having great coaching. Then its hard to count out Fox of SP and Portsmouth and CG team have some good spots as well. I'm sure a lot will change before next year, but it looks to be an exciting season.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Unbiased: My predictions for the OVC are fluid......in reality Gallia Academy I think is a lock for the top spot.......and I feel pretty good about Ironton and Chesapeake coming in 2nd and 3rd. I based my forecast on what they have coming back, as compared to everyone else. Spots 4-8 are harder to evaluate, and a few teams could surprise and a few may disappoint. As far as Fairland, remember that those kids coming back won't be mixed in on the floor with the seniors of this past year. Next year, they will have to show their talents without the help of Van Horn, Howell, Thomas, etc. It's a big transition from being a role player to a prominent scorer or rebounder. That is why I have the Dragons 5th......I have to see if the players coming back can make that transition smoothly.

I personally would like to see Rock Hill do better, but they simply have to show it. They haven't done it to this point, and the conference is too strong for the Redmen to move up into the top half. Maybe they will, and if they do, good for them.

About my Trojans, I really feel that this will be the first rebuilding year since 2013, when Portsmouth lost all but 1 player from its 2012 D3 state runnerup team. What also figures into my 7th place finish for the Trojans is that our JV team went 1-21 last season. Getting Shipp is a huge plus for the Trojans, and with Fraulini, Lattimore, and McKinley, gives Coach Collins a pretty good nucleus, but also still leaves a question mark as to who that 5th starter will be. Could be sophomore McLaurin or sophomore Duncan. PHS will be offensively challenged next year. We could be a surprise team, but right now I'm being as objective as I can about my Trojans. I hope I'm dead wrong on that 7th place prediction.

CGFAN#1
Freshman Team

Post by CGFAN#1 »

I agree this is a Great rundown by Trojandave. I seem to remember your posts as being insightful and honest.
I agree the rankings as being fluid is the thing to remember point in case with Trojans receiving a transfer as an example.
I list below my best predictions albeit easily disputed. Aside from Gallipolis at the top I can see CG, Fairland, Ironton, Portsmouth, and SP as teams that will feed on each other with no clear advantage except possibly home court and team health. With that being said here I go:
#1 Gallipolis. Easily the easy pick but until they start playing through Loveday instead of having him blend in they will be susceptible to an unlikely upset or two.
#2 Fairland. 3 returning solid juniors and Mondlak likely one of the best in the OVC that we haven't seen much of. The system goes all the way to the elementary level so I see them as a real threat.
#3/4/5 interchangeable at this point. Maybe I can commit later.
Coal Grove: Music arguably the best all around player in every game yet didn't have to assume a heavy scoring burden. If he rises in scoring production and the new starters play unselfish team ball like this year they will be competitive.
Ironton. Excellent guard talent and Good team defense. Scheme doesn't suit the players. If goal is to win 38-32 every game then cold shooting nights will lead to another 500 year.
South Point: Fox and Webb are almost unstoppable offensively. Can they find the pieces to support them? But with those two scorers they can beat anyone in the OVC on a given night.
#6 Portsmouth. I will defer to Trojandave here but I see more from this team.
#7 Chesapeake. Not enough offensive depth. For a few years in a row now the starting 5 JV players are the first 5 depth on varsity. Need more team depth or players in the system.
#8. Rock Hill. They were really competitive will all of the OVC at they end of the year. I see them getting some upsets.

Unbiased
Waterboy

Post by Unbiased »

That makes sense Trojandave, we will see how it plays out. And I’m sure the Trojans will be back on it soon, every team tends to have those years. Also, CGFan#1, I really like your rundown and reasonings as well. I definitely agree of Fairland at two. I feel like they have more to offer than people think. Especially the Mondlak kid, I think you were spot on with him being a sleeper player. I’m sure he will have a strong year as a focus in the offense. It is interesting to see different perspectives and I’ve watched each of these teams a few times, maybe not as much as others. However, if I had to go off of the conference right now, I would probably predict this:
1. GAHS- 12-2 (Loveday most dominating player returning)
2. FHS- 10-4 (Lost 5 starters, but solid returning talent)
3. SPHS- 8-6 (Fox is a pure scorer, Webb is nice support)
4. IHS- 7-7 (Nice talent returning, great coaching)
5. CGHS- 6-8 (Solid backcourt returning, could surprise)
6. CHS- 6-8 (Young, offensively limited, will improve)
7. PHS- 4-10 (Rebuilding but could may steal a few)
8. RHHS- 3-11 (New staff seems to have them heading in the right direction)
Of course, these are opinions and the season is far out.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I understand Coal Grove graduated some talent but I cant foresee them being in the bottom 3 teams of the conference.

Musick and Borders return, correct? Who else? How was the JV team?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
CGFAN#1
Freshman Team

Post by CGFAN#1 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:31 am I understand Coal Grove graduated some talent but I cant foresee them being in the bottom 3 teams of the conference.

Musick and Borders return, correct? Who else? How was the JV team?
I agree CG will be more competitive but still hard to predict success after what they lost. I can't remember seeing a more unselfish team as this year's. The team played within the offense but we're allowed to create as well.
If I recall correctly the JV had a good record. Much like many young players they need to get stronger. Weaknesses that coach Vanderhoof needs to work on with the upcoming JV players is getting the JV scorers to find offense in the system. Too many one on one moves and low percentage shots. Defense played hard but needs to be smarter as closeouts were poor and rebounding fundamentals were almost absent. You don't have to be the best athlete to be the best rebounder but that fundamental is missing almost everywhere.
It will be a fun year again for the Grove. Go Big Grove!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Unbiased and CGFan#1: I like your forecasts.......I respect very much when you look at every other team in the conference instead of just your own. That's when predictions hold more weight with me. It's easy to tell us about your team, but you both have included some notes about everybody else......I like to see different opinions with some factual information included. I think all of us are in agreement that we would like to see the OVC represented in the regionals by at least 1, maybe 2 teams in the upcoming season. Coal Grove and Fairland justified the strength of the conference, both winning district championships in 2017-2018.

CGFAN#1
Freshman Team

Post by CGFAN#1 »

Thanks Trojandave. Is was a really exciting year for the OVC and SOC. There are some nice returning players along with some impressive Freshman in the OVC that should make for a fun few years.
The only bad thing is where did all the height go (excluding Loveday)?

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Even if Coal Grove near bottom of OVC, they still a regional threat again in D4 with their returning players.*

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

CGFAN#1: Height?......at Portsmouth, 6-3 is considered tall. We haven't had a player dominant in the paint since 6-5 Dion McKinley back in 2011 and 2012. The law of averages should be on our side. Since Dion, we haven't had a starter that tall. Going on 6 years now.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Player movement at GA will be very interesting this off season!

CGFAN#1
Freshman Team

Post by CGFAN#1 »

trojandave wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:44 pm CGFAN#1: Height?......at Portsmouth, 6-3 is considered tall. We haven't had a player dominant in the paint since 6-5 Dion McKinley back in 2011 and 2012. The law of averages should be on our side. Since Dion, we haven't had a starter that tall. Going on 6 years now.
Lol. OVC will be guard heavy. Around 1998 I think CG had Brad Miller who was 6'7 then 3 years ago Austin Pleasants at 6'6. Just got to do it with guards.

CGFAN#1
Freshman Team

Post by CGFAN#1 »

Geronimo wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:26 am Player movement at GA will be very interesting this off season!
More talent coming in to play with Loveday?

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Maybe ? Rumors ? Gallia Co is full of it ? Maybe a history run ? Got to wait and see !

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

And, it starts.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Geronimo wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:48 pm Maybe ? Rumors ? Gallia Co is full of it ? Maybe a history run ? Got to wait and see !
I don’t think there will be a ton of player movement I could be wrong. But I think if there is player movement there will be more kids leave than come play. What are we going to have 8 or 9 seniors. Who could all play and play a lot anywhere else in the county. And don’t think a lot of kids are coming for one year.

And I will be surprised if Loveday is a blue devil as a senior....

And I know Loveday is big and tall but unless he changes at the next level he is probably going to be a 4 not a 5. Think of him as some of those big Wisconsin kids that could be 5’s on size but play as 4’s.

Gallia will feature Loveday when they can but they will have some teams that play a defense of scheme that it will make little sense with. As they saw several times this year.

Return to “Boys Basketball”