Mandatory down time?

stacey7722
Freshman Team

Mandatory down time?

Post by stacey7722 »

I was just curious if any other schools enforce a mandatory down time for their student athletes? Summer soccer tournaments and practice along with summer basketball in July for schools has always been a part of the training and start of new seasons. It seems that this year a school has elected to have mandatory no school team activities from July 1st until July 15th. I was just curious if this is a common thing or something new started this year. If I am not mistaken, July is the only month of the basketball off season that teams can get together and play? Will this set teams back not being able to play in the July summer leagues? Will it hurt soccer teams now not able to participate in larger summer tournaments where they would gain experience against larger schools? Just curious if this is a state wide mandatory down time or just one individual schools plan?

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: Mandatory down time?

Post by Chieftain2009 »

There are mandatory no contact periods for coaches and players, I believe. But, when thinking about time during the school year, it is very often that a school will require a student to go 1-2 weeks in between different sports seasons.

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

Most winter sports summer leagues and shootouts are in June. Fall sports tend to start around middle of July. There usually is a natural "break" for those 2 weeks

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

stacey7722 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:50 pm I was just curious if any other schools enforce a mandatory down time for their student athletes? Summer soccer tournaments and practice along with summer basketball in July for schools has always been a part of the training and start of new seasons. It seems that this year a school has elected to have mandatory no school team activities from July 1st until July 15th. I was just curious if this is a common thing or something new started this year. If I am not mistaken, July is the only month of the basketball off season that teams can get together and play? Will this set teams back not being able to play in the July summer leagues? Will it hurt soccer teams now not able to participate in larger summer tournaments where they would gain experience against larger schools? Just curious if this is a state wide mandatory down time or just one individual schools plan?
Summer leagues are in June. It seems natural to give time off in July. A lot of those kids will be starting fall sports anyways so having time for more basketball is hard.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Kid Green
Waterboy

Post by Kid Green »

Eastern don't be takin no down time. Dat why dey so good. :mrgreen:

Dat wat da Kid be sayin! :mrgreen:
rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Only mandatory down time is 30 days after season ends. The rest of year can be open gyms or practices. But most take July off for Fall sport conflicts. Most HS gyms have volleyball nets strung across them at that point.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Requirements of OHSAA - No contact is for 28 days after the last game of the season and again for the entire month of August.

Post by stacey7722 »

Good info, thank you all

mondayamqb
Freshman Team

Post by mondayamqb »

When you think about the functional application of this, it really ends up causing more issues for kids. Coaches are going to use their allotted 10 days of coaching regardless if there is a mandatory period off or not. What happens is instead of having 8 weeks (june/July) to have multiple sports share kids, you now only have 6 weeks - ask yourself which situation leads to more conflicts.
Additionally, an oft heard argument for this dead period, is that it alklows for vacation time - that may or may not be the case because not all families will vacation during this period leading to more conflicts.

It has been my experience that schools that do this have administrations that are "lazy" in that it is now 2 weeks that they don't have to deal with scheduling, discipline issues, etc. They simply say - dead period.

The practical application is sorely misguided

Return to “Girls Basketball”