2018/19 Minford Falcons viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69642
2018/19 Northwest Mohawks viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69643
2018/19 Oak Hill Oaks viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69019
2018/19 South Webster Jeeps viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69567
2018/19 Valley Indians viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69647
2018/2019 Waverly Tigers viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69566
2018/19 West Senators viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69645
2018/19 Wheelersburg Pirates viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68968

Have seen way-too-early threads for other conferences, so might as well get one going for SOC II. Feel free to add any coaching changes, player movements, etc. that will cause these predictions to change by November.

1. Wheelersburg: Holden/Truitt back...enough said. District champ likely...still can't see them getting past Central Dist. rep at Regionals.
2. Waverly: lose some players (Adrian, Howell) but good athletes returning. Should be back at Districts in D2.
3. Minford: Dalton, Kelley should make them a Convo team next year. Vogelsong-Lewis looks like a player as well.
4. South Webster: Blevins back for senior year and expect big year from 6'5" junior-to-be Braden Bockway. District championship in D4 is the goal.
5. Oak Hill: probably will be lower if rumblings of Darby leaving end up being true.
6. Valley: return most of roster and should only get better. Good talent coming next few years from junior high.
7. West: Maynard and Frasure graduating will be hard to replace.
8. Northwest: unless jv team loaded with talent, can't see them faring much better with all the seniors they lose.

POY: Holden
COY: Ater

Overall, talent still seems thin for the conference as a whole. As said above, still plenty of time for transfers, etc. that could shake up the list.*

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Re: SOC II predictions 2018-19

Post by N2Hoops »

1. Wheelersburg - loaded, need to control pace more as they advance deeper in the tournament.
2. Oak Hill - Until Persin is not there they will be top 3 every year regardless of what he has.
3. Waverly - Return great athletes and will be deep again.
4. South Webster - D4 District contender
5. Minford - Year older, year better, Shoemaker and Falcons return to convo.
6. Valley - should be better, still probably 1-2 years away.
7. West - year 2 of Hafer regime will be interesting
8. Northwest - total rebuild

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

art vandelay and N2hoops: Good assessments of the SOC II in 2018-2019. I think it's pretty much a consensus if not unanimous opinion that Wheelersburg will win the conference and most likely be the favorite in D3 to get to the regionals. I still think if Ironton and the Burg match up in the districts, that could be a real difficult game for the Pirates, given how they played WHS at the Jackson sectional.....and the Tigers have all their main players back (Large, Wilson, and Carrico).

Waverly will contend as long as Coach Robertson employs that aggressive, scrambling defense, while Minford has most of its offensive firepower back. South Webster won't be a threat to win the conference, but could be the favorite in D4 to get to the regionals, with the player losses of New Boston, Coal Grove, and Peebles.

As good a coach as Norm Persin is, he has his work cut out for him next season, graduating 4 starters. He will find a way to win more than lose, but they shouldn't really be a serious contender to Wheelersburg this time around.

Valley should be improved, with the possibility of pulling off an upset or two of the favorites, while West suffered major player losses as previously mentioned. Northwest is in a similar situation as Rock Hill is in the OVC, in that they just haven't proven that they're ready to move into the top half of the conference.

Of course it doesn't matter what conference you're talking about, player movement is en vogue in today's high school basketball, and it's likely that someone who is on some coach's plans for the upcoming season might be on another coach's roster by the time hoops rolls around.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Oak Hill and Wheelersburg, then everybody else. The unwritten law of the SOC2.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Omega wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:26 pm Oak Hill and Wheelersburg, then everybody else. The unwritten law of the SOC2.
The Minford class of 2015 was a perfect 8-0 vs. Wheelersburg.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Basketball usually goes in two year cycles. Ater needs an SoC ball. He’s hamstrung by football and will continue to do so. Burg was best team in conference at end but because of football couldn’t win it. They will be behind the 8 ball again this year but should have enough talent to win the crown early. Minford would be my dark horse

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

I will agree that Wheelersburg is a favorite with holden and truitt, however waverly is going to be very good and has a history of splitting with burg lately. As good as they were playing at the end of the year they barely beat waverly at burg and waverly was up 7 in the second quarter when Marquez got hurt. You also have to figure Burg will make another strong run in football and will be behind the first time they play waverly. I think it is a two horse race with no one else beating these two. The real question is will Persin still be at Oak Hill?

Penguin
Freshman Team

Post by Penguin »

Ukfanatic wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:22 am I will agree that Wheelersburg is a favorite with holden and truitt, however waverly is going to be very good and has a history of splitting with burg lately. As good as they were playing at the end of the year they barely beat waverly at burg and waverly was up 7 in the second quarter when Marquez got hurt. You also have to figure Burg will make another strong run in football and will be behind the first time they play waverly. I think it is a two horse race with no one else beating these two. The real question is will Persin still be at Oak Hill?
If he is not I can see Oak Hill going back to being ..well Oak Hill.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Webster will contend. Mark my words. The boys are all coming back.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Post by SWJeeps22 »

Webster has the talent to contend.

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

Should be a better year in the standings for the Jeeps, but I think they are contending for 2nd place. Just can't see Burg missing a step even though they lose Lowry. Dyer will be easy to replace and I think Truitt will step up his game even more in the absence of Lowry

Making offers you can't refuse
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

As in football, Wheelersburg should rule the roost in SOC 2 basketball based on returning talent. It is tempting to say everyone else is playing for second place, but I never rule out Oak Hill as long as Persin is coach.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

No predictions on who wins it or which teams will compete for the crown but Waverly’s downtown arena is undergoing some more amazing renovations/additions.
Gonna be very very nice!!!

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Doesn't Eastern join the SOC II next year?

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Eastern has 1 more year in SOC1. They move up to the SOC2 in basketball in 2019.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
falcon117
Riding the Bench

Post by falcon117 »

Minford's loss of Darius Jordan for possibly the entire basketball season will put Minford in a bind at the guard position. I don't see Oak Hill being a threat this year. Burg and Waverly run the tables, Minford and Webster battle for 3rd and 4th

TheNest20
Waterboy

Post by TheNest20 »

Northwest comes out of nowhere with Billy Crabtree leading the way. Burg 8th, Norm 7th, Webster 6th, Waverly 5th, west 4th, valley 3rd, minford 2nd, NW 1st

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

1. Burg - loaded deep roster,well coached by Ater
2. Waverly - Solid roster with great player development
3. South Webster - Return much experience
4. Oak Hill - Norm
5. Minford - Sneaky good
6. Valley - Transition year with Horton
7. Portsmouth West - rebuild
8. Northwest - lost a lot of talent to graduation , never truly reached their ceiling for whatever reason.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

First I agree with whats been said about Burg and Waverly. Second, I'm not a fan of Oak Hill, and I know that they lost 4 starters from last year. But with Norm still the coach, and Mason Darby still there, they will not be an easy out any night for most of the teams in the SOC. They will probably not contend for the league championship, but don't be surprised if they don't contend every night they hit the floor. They don't have much size coming up, but there JVs were pretty good last year. I stated in an earlier Thread, that I thought that Mason Darby was one of the 2 or 3 best all around players in the SOC-2, I still think that.

sportsjunky22
Waterboy

Post by sportsjunky22 »

Waverly and Burg may split but Burg wins the SOC. I can see Waverly beating Burg at Waverly and Burg winning at Burg. SW will beat some teams that they aren't supposed to beat.

Return to “Boys Basketball”