Ironton boys basketball coach?

Kids come First
Waterboy

Ironton boys basketball coach?

Post by Kids come First »

I recently seen that boys basketball position has been posted on tigertown.com along with other winter sports positions. Any thoughts on what BOE will do??? They have already made some other changes.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Ironton boys basketball coach?

Post by danicalifornia »

They will bring back Coach Lafon, who as recently as 2015 had the Tigers in the Regionals.

Preacher Purl
Riding the Bench

Post by Preacher Purl »

I believe Ironton posts all their positions each year per contract.

Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

Tigers need a new head basketball coach, and AD.

2quick2catch
Freshman Team

Post by 2quick2catch »

Now that something has been posted on seops, I am sure something will be done now. :roll: LaFon isn't going anywhere folks.

Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

State law is that all supplemental positions are non-renewed each year. Thus are posted.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Fletchlives wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:12 pm State law is that all supplemental positions are non-renewed each year. Thus are posted.
Supplemental contracts are typically for 1 year, so you can't non-renew an expired contract. You see very few jobs posted unless the coach is leaving or the board/AD has decided to change something. Since June is basically here, I would say all fall and winter coaches that have not been posted will remain the same.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I think Coach Lafon has done a very good job at Ironton....... SEOAL outright champions in 2010,regional final in 2012, Final 4 in 2013, regional semifinal in 2015, and after that the Fighting Tigers have been very competitive with much less talent, and last year almost beating district champion Wheelersburg in the sectional final at Jackson. I'd say with confidence that his overall record stacks up against virtually anybody in the SE district over the last decade. It was not realistic to think that Ironton was going to beat Fairland or Gallia Academy last year given how good those teams were.

Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

With him as the AD, he's going to say he's best for the job,
the board needs to hire a AD that doesn't coach a sport.

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Post by dime-a-dozen »

Mavrick are you on a different planet or something? They just tried to remove him as the AD and the community got behind him and forced the schools hand! Coach Lafon is not only a great AD but also a great basketball coach and person! On top of the great success he has had on the side line, Have you ever heard of the Ironton Classic? Seen the attention, crowds, teams and revenue it brings the city of Ironton and the school!? I would love to hear about your personal vendetta!!! So please inform us or can we assume that little Johnny only gets JV playing time and you don’t like it??? I’m not an Ironton fan but I hate to see good coaches get bashed because of silly parents who don’t know if the ball is pumped or stuffed!! Btw the real question is who will be the new coach at Ironton St. Joe! If my crystal ball is correct I believe it could be a Barns!

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Ironton is a football school. They've had some outstanding basketball teams. This coach is doing a fine job in an unrealistic world !

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Post by dime-a-dozen »

E High, Ironton is far from a football school like it was in the 70’s-90’s. In the last 15 years there would be no argument to say that Ironton has indeed been a “basketball school” multiple trips to the final four, a state championship loss the year before Lafon got there, multiple trips to the region, and many sectional and district championships.

Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

I have no kid on the team or in the school. It's my opinion I'm aloud one.

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Post by dime-a-dozen »

I am also allowed to assume you’re a butt hurt parent when you spew things about coaches or administration with no reasoning or logic behind it! Or maybe you’re a former player who wasn’t good enough!

Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

Maybe your related to him, No I never played for him, I been out of school a long time.

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Post by dime-a-dozen »

I’m not but if you want to think that then that’s fine! However I stated facts as to why he should be in those positions. What is your reasoning for thinking he is unfit?

Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

I never said he was unfit, I think your AD shouldn't be a coach.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

He's very highly respected throughout the SE District as both a coach and an AD.

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Post by dime-a-dozen »

Mavrick then what were you implying by saying Ironton needs a new basketball coach?

sportsnation
Waterboy

Post by sportsnation »

the grass isn't always greener on the other side; have you seen some of the other coaching hires this year. you better enjoy what you have

Return to “Boys Basketball”