New Transfer Rule Passed. Goes into effect 5/16/18

HamPorter
All Conference

Re: New Transfer Rule Passed. Goes into effect 5/16/18

Post by HamPorter »

High school should be the best experience for the kids. Kids shouldn't leave a situation just because things get tough, but with bullying and daddy-ball politics in small school, I get it at times.

Let's face it, some kids are only in school for athletics and couldn't care less about academics. Those kids should probably be attending schools where they learn a trade because they likely aren't going to college unless a sport is involved. But, people on here tend to be high and mighty about how we should only care about academics, when they are probably the loud and obnoxious ones who ride coaches and officials every night.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I think it is funny that you guys think so many of these transfer decisions are made by parents. So much of this now is kid driven a kid plays video ganes or something else with another group of kids. He wants to go to school with them.

Why do you guys think parents of athlets gave more control or concern about them then parents of non athletes.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

svac83 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:52 pm I think it is funny that you guys think so many of these transfer decisions are made by parents. So much of this now is kid driven a kid plays video ganes or something else with another group of kids. He wants to go to school with them.

Why do you guys think parents of athlets gave more control or concern about them then parents of non athletes.
Don’t parents have to sign off on the transfer, often times making arrangements for transportation, etc? It my be the kids idea, but the parents are supposed to make the final decision.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Dundas wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:10 am
enigmaax wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:35 am I just don’t understand the issue with parents putting their kids where they think is the best fit. For whatever the reason. There’s a limited time and opportunity to enjoy the experience, why force people into the wrong environment?

Simple. Pride. When I was in high school, you were proud of where you were from regardless of the situation. You bled your schools colors and did everything you could for YOUR home. You didn't up and leave just because it made things easier. Anyone who transfers without a legitimate reason to do so, I have no respect for. Period.
Gotta agree. Represent your school and do so proudly.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

WellstonLover wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:40 am Boy, this will hurt Jackson bad.
LOL, very doubtful. Don't be bitter because your school has lost players to Jackson. They don't have some prime location where they're pulling kids from several area schools. They have Oak Hill who has a very solid program and Wellston.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

enigmaax wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:35 am I just don’t understand the issue with parents putting their kids where they think is the best fit. For whatever the reason. There’s a limited time and opportunity to enjoy the experience, why force people into the wrong environment?

Simple. Pride. When I was in high school, you were proud of where you were from regardless of the situation. You bled your schools colors and did everything you could for YOUR home. You didn't up and leave just because it made things easier. Anyone who transfers without a legitimate reason to do so, I have no respect for. Period.
It's 2018, not 1970 to say that a kid should stay put because of school "pride" has to be the biggest crock of a reason anyone can give and what's worse is NOONE can give any other reason than that, step outside of your 60 yr old box and open your minds. Ppl always assume a kid is transferring because maybe he has a better shot here or there. You know what kids are simply that kids, and to try and say, "no you have to stay here even if you don't want to," teaches absolutely nothing. I know kids that simply don't mesh with the others in their school or have issues with certain groups of kids. Maybe they're running around with the wrong ppl and the parent would like to get them out of that environment. Yeah maybe a kid watches his programs athletics growing up and sees them getting their teeth kicked in year in and year out and decides that's not what I want, I want a chance at success. They only get so many years to be a kid, where life's choices are the easiest and not so demanding and forced. After that they get put into the real world where the free spirit of being a kid just sort of evaporates because it has to. Kids are kids let them be that while they can, why do people feel they need to throw down rules to control everything. Coaches get to leave with no consequences right?? So we have no rules sanctioning them but a 15 year old who might just be in a miserable situation has consequences for trying to get in a better situation, yeah that makes a lot of sense.
Last edited by greygoose on Sun May 20, 2018 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

enigmaax wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:16 am
Super trooper wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:51 am First and foremost you should be in high school for the academics. Athletics shouldn’t determine where you go To high school. Here’s a life lesson, play the hand you’re dealt and enjoy playing sports with your buddies
That is a stupid life lesson. If you are born into poverty, should you not aspire for anything more? As an adult, do people ever take new jobs for more money or because they didn’t like their boss or just because they want to do something different?

If YOUR priority is as singular as “I was born here so I have to stay here,” more power to you. Life is waaaaay more complex than to say any major decision, including where to be educated, must be determined by one single factor. Academics is just one piece of the school/life experience and it is not always a non-factor, even in cases where sports are the primary factor.

So you can keep your priorities, but I haven’t heard a good reason why anyone else should get to dictate mine (or others, as it were).
amen

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I believe a kid should go to school where he wants as long as the kid isn't getting some extras. No one should offer the kid more than an education. Their cost going to another school should only come from the parents. Straight up no benefits.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

greygoose wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:26 am

It's 2018, not 1970 to say that a kid should stay put because of school "pride" has to be the biggest crock of a reason anyone can give and what's worse is NOONE can give any other reason than that, step outside of your 60 yr old box and open your minds. Ppl always assume a kid is transferring because maybe he has a better shot here or there. You know what kids are simply that kids, and to try and say, "no you have to stay here even if you don't want to," teaches absolutely nothing. I know kids that simply don't mesh with the others in their school or have issues with certain groups of kids. Maybe they're running around with the wrong ppl and the parent would like to get them out of that environment. Yeah maybe a kid watches his programs athletics growing up and sees them getting their teeth kicked in year in and year out and decides that's not what I want, I want a chance at success. They only get so many years to be a kid, where life's choices are the easiest and not so demanding and forced. After that they get put into the real world where the free spirit of being a kid just sort of evaporates because it has to. Kids are kids let them be that while they can, why do people feel they need to throw down rules to control everything. Coaches get to leave with no consequences right?? So we have no rules sanctioning them but a 15 year old who might just be in a miserable situation has consequences for trying to get in a better situation, yeah that makes a lot of sense.
This is why we have the me me me attitude in a lot of athletes today, winning is the most important thing about sports. Especially in the kids who choose to specialize in one sport, they put all of their eggs in one basket, and if they can’t fill it up where they are, just transfer. Specializing has caused this hired gun mentality, kids and parents see what professionals and college kids do and think that is what is best for them.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 5:25 pm

This is why we have the me me me attitude in a lot of athletes today, winning is the most important thing about sports. Especially in the kids who choose to specialize in one sport, they put all of their eggs in one basket, and if they can’t fill it up where they are, just transfer. Specializing has caused this hired gun mentality, kids and parents see what professionals and college kids do and think that is what is best for them.
How so?? Your assumption is that each kid is leaving because of winning or playing time. For some kids its the situation, I know of a student right now that wants to leave because of problems they have with kids around them. They don't play sports but they'd like to transfer to get into a new environment. Should I give the advice to that student that so many of you think on here, "no you need to stick it out because of school pride"? So many on here simply think that a kid wants to transfer because of winning or playing time. The assumption that a kid is simply transferring because of sports, is very narrow minded. I get it this is a sports site so you can't quite find your way outside of the box. However, with some kids this simply isn't the case. Unless you know each kid on a personal level you really have no justification to judge any decision one makes, and still then you don't because you're not that child's parent. I'm sure there is just as many that do leave because of sports only, but let's face it in southern Ohio it's not like going from one school to another is going to go enhancing things for you a great deal, unless you're headed to maybe a Burg, Jackson or Chillicothe.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

greygoose wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:58 pm

How so?? Your assumption is that each kid is leaving because of winning or playing time. For some kids its the situation, I know of a student right now that wants to leave because of problems they have with kids around them. They don't play sports but they'd like to transfer to get into a new environment. Should I give the advice to that student that so many of you think on here, "no you need to stick it out because of school pride"? So many on here simply think that a kid wants to transfer because of winning or playing time. The assumption that a kid is simply transferring because of sports, is very narrow minded. I get it this is a sports site so you can't quite find your way outside of the box. However, with some kids this simply isn't the case. Unless you know each kid on a personal level you really have no justification to judge any decision one makes, and still then you don't because you're not that child's parent. I'm sure there is just as many that do leave because of sports only, but let's face it in southern Ohio it's not like going from one school to another is going to go enhancing things for you a great deal, unless you're headed to maybe a Burg, Jackson or Chillicothe.
But you can't deny that their is an issue with kids transferring for no other reason than to play at a bigger better program.
Kids who are transferring for non athletic reasons shouldn't have any problems with this new rule.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Yeah, it’s a sports site so talking about a transfer change one would assume they were talking about transferring for sports! Lol. If a kid is leaving to improve their situation in the school setting then more power to them. I am talking sports transfers, and specifically to your point on if a kid is tired of having their teeth kicked in their sports program then what is wrong with leaving.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:32 pm Yeah, it’s a sports site so talking about a transfer change one would assume they were talking about transferring for sports! Lol. If a kid is leaving to improve their situation in the school setting then more power to them. I am talking sports transfers, and specifically to your point on if a kid is tired of having their teeth kicked in their sports program then what is wrong with leaving. You sure don’t have a problem pigeon holing me in my comments without knowing me! Lol
So since there are kids that are leaving to improve their school situation, then why do the adults feel the need to throw sanctions on them?? Obviously this isn't the case each time as we all know kids do leave for greener pastures. Oh, absolutely I don't have a problem pigeon holing you, you made the comments so we know where you stand right? I don't hold it against you we all have our opinions and I'll listen and read anyone's but if I disagree with you don't expect me to sit here. I'm simply one for the freedom of choice especially something as minor as a kid going from one school to another for whatever the reason may be. If you've been working a $12 dollar an hour job for 5 years and a $19 dollar job comes your way do you want someone telling you no you can't do that?? Or does your pride keep you at the job you've been at for 5 years. You're only a kid once like I've said in past post let them be kids, they've got so many more years ahead of them to bare the burden of responsibility.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:27 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:58 pm

But you can't deny that their is an issue with kids transferring for no other reason than to play at a bigger better program.
Kids who are transferring for non athletic reasons shouldn't have any problems with this new rule.
Depends if we're referring to southern Ohio schools, I'd probably say no there's no issue transferring to bigger better programs because there's just few and far between. Now if we go talking about the D1-DII schools then maybe I don't know the numbers. Even if there is what does it hurt?? I mean we've got competitive balance numbers now that go against the school to try and balance that out. This rule leads me to believe that the powers to be think 1 or 2 kids just made this team state title contenders. I mean unless these teams are bringing in 7-8 hard core ringers each year to win a state title I simply don't see the issue with a kid wanting to go to the school they want to go to.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

greygoose wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:44 pm
eagles73Taylor wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:32 pm Yeah, it’s a sports site so talking about a transfer change one would assume they were talking about transferring for sports! Lol. If a kid is leaving to improve their situation in the school setting then more power to them. I am talking sports transfers, and specifically to your point on if a kid is tired of having their teeth kicked in their sports program then what is wrong with leaving. You sure don’t have a problem pigeon holing me in my comments without knowing me! Lol
So since there are kids that are leaving to improve their school situation, then why do the adults feel the need to throw sanctions on them?? Obviously this isn't the case each time as we all know kids do leave for greener pastures. Oh, absolutely I don't have a problem pigeon holing you, you made the comments so we know where you stand right? I don't hold it against you we all have our opinions and I'll listen and read anyone's but if I disagree with you don't expect me to sit here. I'm simply one for the freedom of choice especially something as minor as a kid going from one school to another for whatever the reason may be. If you've been working a $12 dollar an hour job for 5 years and a $19 dollar job comes your way do you want someone telling you no you can't do that?? Or does your pride keep you at the job you've been at for 5 years. You're only a kid once like I've said in past post let them be kids, they've got so many more years ahead of them to bare the burden of responsibility.
No one is putting sanctions on kids moving to improve their educational or societal situations! Kids can freely move from school to school and don’t have to sit out any school time. If the kid is moving because they are having problems in school with other kids or whatever, missing half a season of sports shouldn’t be a deterrent to moving, unless that isn’t the main reason for transferring. Why do you keep bringing up pride, i have not one time said that is a reason a kid should stay.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:09 pm
No one is putting sanctions on kids moving to improve their educational or societal situations! Kids can freely move from school to school and don’t have to sit out any school time. If the kid is moving because they are having problems in school with other kids or whatever, missing half a season of sports shouldn’t be a deterrent to moving, unless that isn’t the main reason for transferring. Why do you keep bringing up pride, i have not one time said that is a reason a kid should stay.
Exactly so if they play sports then why do they need to sit out?? We've already got a competitive balance rule in place to effect the schools themselves.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

greygoose wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:12 pm
eagles73Taylor wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:09 pm

Exactly so if they play sports then why do they need to sit out?? We've already got a competitive balance rule in place to effect the schools themselves.
There are exception's to the transfer rule, if you can prove the move was for something like getting out of a bad situation there is no penalty.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Yeah this is true, just don't believe that the rule should exist. Like I said school is already getting hit with competitive balance so why does the student get hit as well? I mean it just seems they set these rules up so monitor the public schools yet in the private sector it's like hands clear.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: Transfers Now Will Only be Eligible the First Half of Season

Post by formerfcfan »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:59 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:32 pm Private schools must have lobbied for this one. Didn’t get enough private championship games.

Couldn't agree more!!

Once again they slap the public schools and do NOTHING in regards to private schools. They can still bring in players at will

What a COS!!!!!
How exactly is this a “slap” to the public schools?

TheNest20
Waterboy

Post by TheNest20 »

Couldn't agree more

Return to “Boys Basketball”