New Transfer Rule Passed. Goes into effect 5/16/18

enigmaax
All State

Re: New Transfer Rule Passed. Goes into effect 5/16/18

Post by enigmaax »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 5:25 pm
This is why we have the me me me attitude in a lot of athletes today, winning is the most important thing about sports. Especially in the kids who choose to specialize in one sport, they put all of their eggs in one basket, and if they can’t fill it up where they are, just transfer. Specializing has caused this hired gun mentality, kids and parents see what professionals and college kids do and think that is what is best for them.
Have you ever changed jobs? If so, was that about you you you or something else?

Whatever the reason - winning, playing time, specializing - why does it matter TO YOU what someone else decides to do for their own child? People seem to take these decisions as personal affronts somehow.

As for speciailizing, if a kid loves to play one sport and doesn’t particularly care for others, why force a half-hearted effort. Is there no value in dedicating yourself to becoming the best you can at something that is important and enjoyable to you?
Last edited by enigmaax on Mon May 21, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

se-alum wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:19 pm
enigmaax wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:35 am I just don’t understand the issue with parents putting their kids where they think is the best fit. For whatever the reason. There’s a limited time and opportunity to enjoy the experience, why force people into the wrong environment?
What about kids that get kicked off the team at one school, but are able to transfer to another school where they are allowed to play? Missing the first half of the season isn't much of a punishment. At least this will force them to miss the most important part of the season.
Why should they be punished at another school? If you are fired from a job, should your next employer make you work for free or maybe just not hire you so as to maintain your punishment? Once that kid is kicked off the original team, that IS the punishment and if he leaves that school, he is no longer their problem. The new school/coach can determine whether he is worth the headache, but his life has already been altered, so it isn’t without consequence.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 11:24 am I hear all the time, its my decision where I want to send my kid to play a sport, can someone give examples of what could be happening to there child that would make them move them into another district? Having been around coaches for nearly all of my life, 48 years, I cant remember a single time where I thought, man, if i were their parent, I would take my kid somewhere else.

A lot seem to believe that transferring is best fit for a chance at a college scholarship, anyone care to guess what the odds are for kids in our area to receive any money to play at the college level?

Athletics were created as an extra curricular for students, however, it seems to be the biggest factor in transferring today!
Again I will ask, why do you take issue with someone else’s priorities? If sports is a major factor to the guy down the street, why would you want to have special rules in place to hinder his ability to seek out the best opportunity to meet his priority? Because it hurts your team? Because it isn’t your school that will benefit? How petty and selfish is that?

I maintain that it doesn’t matter what the reason is, it is none of my business what you do with your kid. Playing time is a common reason for transfer. If your kid LOVES to play a sport, but won’t get the thrill of actually playing it and thus there’s no longer enjoyment, you just say tough luck? I mean, you get a handful of games in your career. If Team A doesn’t want you or you just aren’t good enough, but Team B would enable you to have the time of your life and value your presence, why not pursue it? I will always go back to this - as an adult, if you were underutilized, underpaid, or in any other situation at a job, would you just stay there because it was the first job you picked? Or would you seek the best situation that could balance YOUR priorities and make you feel valued?

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

For the same reason you take issue, its a sports message board and that is my opinion. Playing time is your strongest stance on why a kid should leave, if so, I really dont want to debate you! lol

AIM
Waterboy

Post by AIM »

Why would private schools have lobbied for this? Transfer/sitting out rules apply to them as well.

How about everyone on here get real!!!! There are a few kids who transfer for bad situations/not right fit; but PRIMARILY it is because everyone thinks their kid is the star! their kid deserves a D1 scholarship and their only going to get it by going to blank school. How many kids do all of you see who have not transferred once, but twice because of playing time, differences with coaches, coaching changes?
You are treating these HIGH SCHOOL athletes as professional free agents, come on.
The mentality that they are only kids once and they should get to do what they want, what is fun and easy and blah, blah, blah is exactly what is wrong with the "entitlement society" today! That is NOT preparing kids for a job they hate but can't quit because they have to pay the bills, or having to live in a house they don't care for because it is not selling. Go ahead and coddle these kids and go out of your way to make sure they have all their hearts desire and I can assure you, you will be bailing them out and supporting them for years to come when things don't go their way in the REAL world.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

AIM wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:57 am Why would private schools have lobbied for this? Transfer/sitting out rules apply to them as well.

How about everyone on here get real!!!! There are a few kids who transfer for bad situations/not right fit; but PRIMARILY it is because everyone thinks their kid is the star! their kid deserves a D1 scholarship and their only going to get it by going to blank school. How many kids do all of you see who have not transferred once, but twice because of playing time, differences with coaches, coaching changes?
You are treating these HIGH SCHOOL athletes as professional free agents, come on.
The mentality that they are only kids once and they should get to do what they want, what is fun and easy and blah, blah, blah is exactly what is wrong with the "entitlement society" today! That is NOT preparing kids for a job they hate but can't quit because they have to pay the bills, or having to live in a house they don't care for because it is not selling. Go ahead and coddle these kids and go out of your way to make sure they have all their hearts desire and I can assure you, you will be bailing them out and supporting them for years to come when things don't go their way in the REAL world.
This is SPOT ON! Best post I've seem in a while

Pol pot
SE

Re: Transfers Now Will Only be Eligible the First Half of Season

Post by Pol pot »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:59 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:32 pm Private schools must have lobbied for this one. Didn’t get enough private championship games.

Couldn't agree more!!

Once again they slap the public schools and do NOTHING in regards to private schools. They can still bring in players at will

What a COS!!!!!
Private schools have the same requirements as public when it comes to this. Harvest Prep had multiple players sit out the first half of the season last year. And public schools can still "bring in players at will" as well.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

AIM wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:57 am Why would private schools have lobbied for this? Transfer/sitting out rules apply to them as well.

I don’t know what area you are from and I’m genuinely curious because we disagree. I seriously want to understand your side based on your experiences. If it came down to supporting your beliefs with fact, how many kids could you name who transferred because of a D1 scholarship fantasy? At what schools does this happen?

Off the top of my head, in my area, I could probably name 10 or 12 transfers in the last 20-30 years who actually got some attention for the transfer. The best guess I have in most cases was that they wanted to play for a particularly good coach & experience some success and they happened to be good enough to play at the school where the desired program was probably better than the program they left. A few went on to play college in that sport, not most of them. I just haven’t experienced this phenomenon that you describe, so I wonder if your statement is some broad stroke societal generalization or if you have actually seen that happen at such an alarming pace that it is worthy of such high level scrutiny.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

se-alum wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:19 pm
enigmaax wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:35 am I just don’t understand the issue with parents putting their kids where they think is the best fit. For whatever the reason. There’s a limited time and opportunity to enjoy the experience, why force people into the wrong environment?
What about kids that get kicked off the team at one school, but are able to transfer to another school where they are allowed to play? Missing the first half of the season isn't much of a punishment. At least this will force them to miss the most important part of the season.
Then you are teaching kids that actions do not have consequences. Just do what you want and find a way around the aftermath. Again, this is a parenting issue....if a kid moves because the family moves, so be it. But to up and leave to avoid consequences, is just sad.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

enigmaax wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:11 pm

I don’t know what area you are from and I’m genuinely curious because we disagree. I seriously want to understand your side based on your experiences. If it came down to supporting your beliefs with fact, how many kids could you name who transferred because of a D1 scholarship fantasy? At what schools does this happen?

Off the top of my head, in my area, I could probably name 10 or 12 transfers in the last 20-30 years who actually got some attention for the transfer. The best guess I have in most cases was that they wanted to play for a particularly good coach & experience some success and they happened to be good enough to play at the school where the desired program was probably better than the program they left. A few went on to play college in that sport, not most of them. I just haven’t experienced this phenomenon that you describe, so I wonder if your statement is some broad stroke societal generalization or if you have actually seen that happen at such an alarming pace that it is worthy of such high level scrutiny.

I think you missed his point. It is not because they will actually get that D1 attention, its a problem that parents think little Timmy is an all-star when in fact, maybe he is just average. This is a society problem, we give everyone a trophy and tell everyone they are winners. Then when they find out there is in fact losers, they can't handle it.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I think this rule change will decrease the amount of upper classmen transferring without qualifying for one of the exceptions. It will also make coaches approach these transfers who were willing to sit the first half of the season differently. The new rule won't allow coaches to let these potentially better players work themselves into a starting lineup in the latter part of the season and be a part of the tournament team. Would a coach be willing to let a transfer play early season only to have to replace him in the lineup mid-season? My guess is no.

Also, all the talk about D1 offers and such.....how many athletes get D1 offers because of how they perform on their HS team? In reality, D1 offers for the most part from playing AAU, club, travel teams, etc. Aside from football, I would guess at least 80% of those offers come outside of OHSAA competition.

vladimir
S

Re: Transfers Now Will Only be Eligible the First Half of Season

Post by vladimir »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:45 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:59 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:32 pm Private schools must have lobbied for this one. Didn’t get enough private championship games.

Couldn't agree more!!

Once again they slap the public schools and do NOTHING in regards to private schools. They can still bring in players at will

What a COS!!!!!
How exactly is this a “slap” to the public schools?
If you notice, it's all the W'burg fans who seem to have the biggest problem with this rule change, so what does that tell ya?

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

the people complaining are probably parents with soon to be seniors. if you transfer as a new freshman there is no penalty so what is all the complaining about? If its the wrong "fit" you probably know that before they are in HS.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Fonzie - You make a couple good points.

Regarding the “kicked off one team” scenario, I just feel like that is the parent’s lesson to teach or not. It doesn’t have to be governed. I personally wouldn’t make that decision for my kid, but I’m not comfortable judging someone else’s circumstances. If the kid is, in fact, a problem, the potential new school has the ability to accept the risk of the headache. If it really is a bad kid, they’ll either get burned OR perhaps the new situation is the second chance someone needs. My point, all situations aren’t the same and blanket rules are just lazy ways to govern something that would work itself put on a local level anyway.

Regarding the “D1” point, I do understand the other poster’s point; however, I believe that is an exaggerated point of view. I’m sure it exists in some places, but in MY experience, it isn’t a prevailing factor. I’ve seen situations where kids/parents thought transferring would help their college options and it wasn’t always an inflated view. There are several levels below D1 and for a lot of kids, playing D2, D3, etc. IS viable. I am sure there are some who think their kid is greater than he/she actually is, but from what I’ve seen, that D1 fantasy is just not a real thing (predominantly) nor is it a real motivator. When a parent says, “I want to go somewhere that he will play more,” it doesn’t mean he is saying,”...so he can go pro.”

4th & Goal - I agree with your last paragraph, which is a big reason why I just don’t believe that is a reasonable assessment of why people transfer.
Last edited by enigmaax on Tue May 22, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

goUK wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:40 am the people complaining are probably parents with soon to be seniors. if you transfer as a new freshman there is no penalty so what is all the complaining about? If its the wrong "fit" you probably know that before they are in HS.
Things change. Coaches change. Sometimes a situation seems good until you get into it.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

goUK wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:40 am the people complaining are probably parents with soon to be seniors. if you transfer as a new freshman there is no penalty so what is all the complaining about? If its the wrong "fit" you probably know that before they are in HS.
Yeah, all the people that lobbied against this all have kids in high school. LOL, wow. That's like me saying everyone for it is because they've got kids in high school who have lost out on playing time to transfers. Which if you think about it is probably more of a truth than anything. I'm totally against if for a few reasons, and I don't have any kids in high school. I've stated all my reasons but it boils down to there is already a rule in place with competitive balance that counts against the school. So now we setup another rule essentially doubling down on transfers.

Again it's southern ohio, to think these kids are transferring to other schools because they think it will help them get a DI scholarship is nonsense. It's simply just not some huge problem to where we hear of these kids transferring in this area that just change the landscape of a team. It's an amazing thing when these kids play sports they want to you know, play. If they want to leave because they don't like the school or their surroundings or other schools offer the better education then that's fine. Most schools are so financially strapped that schools in the southern ohio area have different levels in terms of quality of education. Just because they leave a school means nothing in terms of gaining playing time, they still have to work for it and earn it. The fact is everyone has stated their opinions as to why this rule is nonsense. Reality is those for it what is your reason??? Does it hurt anyone?? If you're just a fan then it effects you none.
Last edited by greygoose on Sat May 26, 2018 9:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

TheNest20 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:58 am
Dundas wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:10 am

Simple. Pride. When I was in high school, you were proud of where you were from regardless of the situation. You bled your schools colors and did everything you could for YOUR home. You didn't up and leave just because it made things easier. Anyone who transfers without a legitimate reason to do so, I have no respect for. Period.

Couldn't agree more
Is it 1970 still, :lol: Those days have been gone for A LONG time now. I know the older generation doesn't understand that

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Good move by the OHSAA which will certainly have an effect on transferring. It makes one wonder why this rule wasn't structured this way in the first place.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

greygoose wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:14 pm
TheNest20 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:58 am
Dundas wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:10 am

Simple. Pride. When I was in high school, you were proud of where you were from regardless of the situation. You bled your schools colors and did everything you could for YOUR home. You didn't up and leave just because it made things easier. Anyone who transfers without a legitimate reason to do so, I have no respect for. Period.

Couldn't agree more
Is it 1970 still, :lol: Those days have been gone for A LONG time now. I know the older generation doesn't understand that
I am not an old timer, but i will agree that the lack of school pride is a problem in todays society. Kids do not take pride in anything other than "looking cool".

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: NeRw Transfer Rule Passed. Goes into effect 5/16/18

Post by Omega »

Super trooper wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:51 am First and foremost you should be in high school for the academics. Athletics shouldn’t determine where you go To high school. Here’s a life lesson, play the hand you’re dealt and enjoy playing sports with your buddies
Excellent response !

Gut feelings are your guardian angels

Return to “Boys Basketball”