2018 OVC Football Offseason Talk and Outlook

PtownClown
Freshman Team

Re: 2018 OVC Football Offseason Talk and Outlook

Post by PtownClown »

Coach Duncan and his staff FINALLY got the program going in the right direction, now it’s up to Coach Kalb to build on what he has started. I believe him and his staff will do just that.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

What are expectations for Ptown? How long until they make playoffs? Are they close? I know they have a new coach, but will he be able to build off the previous regime or is it a total makeover?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I talked to Coach Kalb about 2 weeks ago, and he made it a point that the football program will have his signature on it. Although he has been on the staff for several years now, he has his own ideas as to how to right the Trojan football program. Starting out there will be challenges, namely getting good participation in the weight room, getting player numbers up, and developing a more physical defensive presence on the field. I was very encouraged by what Coach Kalb told me, and he is well aware of the things he must overcome to bring Trojan football to the point of competing and beating the good teams on the schedule, something that has been woefully lacking the last several years.

Hopefully Coach Kalb will finally bring some stability to the head coaching position, because it is quite obvious that the most successful programs have the most stability at the top, i.e. Steubenville, Coldwater, Wheelersburg, St.Ignatius, St.Edward, Pickerington Central, Cincinnati Moeller, Marion Local.....these are just a few of the programs whose head coaches have been there for quite a while and with that has come a lot of winning and programs that reload no matter how many seniors they lose. Portsmouth can't be compared to those programs, with 4 head coaches in 7 years, but putting out a consistent winning program, making the playoffs more than once a decade, and winning OVC titles are very realistic goals that Trojan football can achieve.

Even with a record of 35-65 the last 10 years, and the most recent playoff appearance being in 2007, there is the potential for Portsmouth football to turn those fortunes around. I still believe it can happen, and I will never waive the surrender flag. Coach Kalb can pull the Trojans out of the mediocre abyss that has lasted for a full decade, but it won't happen overnight, though.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

trojandave wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:59 am I talked to Coach Kalb about 2 weeks ago, and he made it a point that the football program will have his signature on it. Although he has been on the staff for several years now, he has his own ideas as to how to right the Trojan football program. Starting out there will be challenges, namely getting good participation in the weight room, getting player numbers up, and developing a more physical defensive presence on the field. I was very encouraged by what Coach Kalb told me, and he is well aware of the things he must overcome to bring Trojan football to the point of competing and beating the good teams on the schedule, something that has been woefully lacking the last several years.

Hopefully Coach Kalb will finally bring some stability to the head coaching position, because it is quite obvious that the most successful programs have the most stability at the top, i.e. Steubenville, Coldwater, Wheelersburg, St.Ignatius, St.Edward, Pickerington Central, Cincinnati Moeller, Marion Local.....these are just a few of the programs whose head coaches have been there for quite a while and with that has come a lot of winning and programs that reload no matter how many seniors they lose. Portsmouth can't be compared to those programs, with 4 head coaches in 7 years, but putting out a consistent winning program, making the playoffs more than once a decade, and winning OVC titles are very realistic goals that Trojan football can achieve.

Even with a record of 35-65 the last 10 years, and the most recent playoff appearance being in 2007, there is the potential for Portsmouth football to turn those fortunes around. I still believe it can happen, and I will never waive the surrender flag. Coach Kalb can pull the Trojans out of the mediocre abyss that has lasted for a full decade, but it won't happen overnight, though.
Thanks TD, I am always pulling for Ptown. I hope you guys take the OVC. Bring another conference title back to Scioto County.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Look at what the blue devils did with the right coach at the top spot in just his first year. They went feom a joke to a .500 team. Portsmouth even though they have been down has not been a joke.

The right coach can get things going in the right direction. The thing i dont get is portsmouth lack of physical play. The game they played against the blue devils last year was the most physical hard hitting game the blue devils had all season.

I saw portsmouth 2 other times and it was like a different team they were all finess.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Should of been the Head Coach long before now ! But the home town boys ? LOL

ELChapo
Freshman Team

Post by ELChapo »

I don't see anyone topping Coal Grove for the OVC title. Fairland will surprisingly come in 2nd with Rock Hill 3rd

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Fairland?

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

Just want to see improvement in the Portsmouth performance, back to basics

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I'd love to see ironton step right back up and walk away with it's 3rd ovc title in 4 years. and make the playoffs.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

there won't be any quit in em.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:24 am I'd love to see ironton step right back up and walk away with it's 3rd ovc title in 4 years. and make the playoffs.
I’d love for a good looking blond in a bikini to come walk through my office door. But that’s not going to happen. Lol. I think Ironton will have a tough league stretch in October with CG, RH, and GA.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

you know pirate I hope both our wishes come true. since I been married to the lovely mrs. bait fer near 32 years, she'd frown on the bikini thingie with me. you'll have to let me know how things go on yer end.

12gauge
Freshman Team

Post by 12gauge »

El Chappo,keep your fingers in the bowling ball and off the crack pipe

Rosco
Riding the Bench

Post by Rosco »

OVC

QB play will determine this league title. CG, RH, Ironton, and Gallia Academy are the serious contenders.

In no particular order.

RH has to be able to throw at least some this year. No threat last year of any sort. Opponents will sit with 10 in the box against thIs team. QB play is the key to the Lutz legion escaping mediocrity. Redmen must also cure the fumbling issues that have plagued their rb’s.

Ironton - would have been intersting to have seen this team running a pro offense last year instead of the spread with their personnel. Tiger signal caller must show growth in leadership this year to go with athleticism. Ironton can make a huge leap forward with a strong year from the QB. Tigers must shake the injury bug that has plagued them for several years.

Gallia Academy - Fans expect a big year in Gallipolis from their Blue Devils. Anything less than 8 wins will be disappointing for the French City faithful . Veteran QB has to be the catalyst for this club. Their best defense is to keep the offense on the field. Gallia needs to have a good showing against Jackson for these kids to truly believe in the program.

Coal Grove - Hornets still have plenty of parts returning from last years club. QB will have more of a load on his shoulders with big losses at skill positions. Pass attack must show growth for the Grovers to defend their title. Defense won’t be as stout this year.

Portsmouth has a super talented rb but someone must emerge to take snaps after graduation losses.

Peake and Fairland both return veteran qb’s with talent but need more parts around them to be contenders.

SP is several years away from being a serious contender.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Rosco: Good rundown of the 2018 OVC season.......I've said this before and I will say it again, Ironton isn't the only team that has suffered notable injuries. Perhaps their numerous injuries have been due to a lack of conditioning. Coach Pendleton will get his Fighting Tigers in shape, and I can almost guarantee that there will be fewer injuries in 2018 if indeed he incorporates that into his program. Better conditioning will ultimately translate to a better team on the field.

Senior Danny Lattimore will be the Trojans QB in 2018. He is 5-11, 175 lbs.....has excellent athleticism, is a left handed passer, and has the ability to scramble away from pass rushers. He probably will be the 2nd leading rusher on the team behind Talyn Parker. Apparently several kids who ran track but did not play football last year are planning on playing, manning various positions such as safety, cornerback, and wide receiver. If indeed they play, Portsmouth will field one of the faster teams in the OVC. I know that Coach Kalb is instilling a rigorous conditioning program and so far has had good participation.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

great post dave.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

My Tigers will at the top of the OVC!

I think it will be:
1- Ironton
2- Gallia Academy
3- Rock Hill
4- Coal Grove
4- Portsmouth
5- Fairland
6- Chesapeake
7- South Point
Last edited by ravensfan09 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

well I like yer optimism raven.

CheerforAll
Waterboy

Post by CheerforAll »

Fairland?

Return to “Football”