2018 SOC2 Football

Kicker.
All Conference

Re: 2018 SOC 2 Football Offseason Talk and Outlook

Post by Kicker. »

Realistically I do not see the SOC voting out Burg. What conference would they even join that would make sense? The OVC is the only one that comes to mind and makes sense

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Injun
Waterboy

Post by Injun »

Kicker. wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:05 pm Realistically I do not see the SOC voting out Burg. What conference would they even join that would make sense? The OVC is the only one that comes to mind and makes sense
Wheelersburg is a good draw economically but the playing field in it's current state isn't level or fair to the other member schools.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Kicker. wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:05 pm Realistically I do not see the SOC voting out Burg. What conference would they even join that would make sense? The OVC is the only one that comes to mind and makes sense
I don’t either. Given the gates that Burg brings. That would be an ignorant move.

But realistically, Everyone wants to blame Burg for some reason. Like they are at fault for being a successful school district. Lol. How is it their fault. Burg has won 32 conference titles beginning in ‘72. Have they been recruiting all this time? You would think by now the OHSAA would have caught on to it. They’ve won 2 State Championships. They are the successful program that every kids wants to be a part of. So be it. The only recruiting they do is on the football field. When kids get sick of getting beat and want to win, what do you think they would do? Burg has a head coach that has built this program to what it is now. Kids notice that too. They don’t want to settle for average. Nor should they have to. Life will be full of decisions like these. Whether you quit a job for a better opportunity or change schools for a better opportunity. It’s the same thing. If you are content with average, good for you. These kids are making the decisions not us, not Burg or their previous school. They want better and they have that right.

Injun
Waterboy

Post by Injun »

A couple of the middle school kids mentioned here to my knowledge have never lost to Wheelersburg in football or basketball. In fact the scores I've seen have been very one sided wins against Wheelersburg. So loosing or the threat of loosing isn't it.

I thought it was funny that one of the kids mentioned here wants to play a certain position in football and his father told people he was told he would have an opportunity to play that position at Wheelersburg. Wonder where that info came from? But they don't recruit :roll:

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Injun wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:34 am A couple of the middle school kids mentioned here to my knowledge have never lost to Wheelersburg in football or basketball. In fact the scores I've seen have been very one sided wins against Wheelersburg. So loosing or the threat of loosing isn't it.

I thought it was funny that one of the kids mentioned here wants to play a certain position in football and his father told people he was told he would have an opportunity to play that position at Wheelersburg. Wonder where that info came from? But they don't recruit :roll:
When I was in junior high, we got beat by north west. Then beat them pretty good in high school. Junior high is the worst indication of high school success. Blame the parents that want them to move. Start calling them out.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Injun wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:52 pm
Wheelersburg is a good draw economically but the playing field in it's current state isn't level or fair to the other member schools.
For just football yes but across all sports it's not like Burg is dominating the field year in and year and year out

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Kicker. wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:41 am
Injun wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:52 pm
For just football yes but across all sports it's not like Burg is dominating the field year in and year and year out
Not this year but the last 10 or so years baseball has been pretty dominant
Last 4-5 years softball seems to have it going also

TCat
Riding the Bench

Post by TCat »

wobycat wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:37 am
Injun wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:34 am A couple of the middle school kids mentioned here to my knowledge have never lost to Wheelersburg in football or basketball. In fact the scores I've seen have been very one sided wins against Wheelersburg. So loosing or the threat of loosing isn't it.

When I was in junior high, we got beat by north west. Then beat them pretty good in high school. Junior high is the worst indication of high school success. Blame the parents that want them to move. Start calling them out.
Sounds like alot of blame to go around. Parents have to protect the kids. But kids are impressionable and if this stuff is happening it is a bad look on the school. If it was 1 or 2 kids transferring it would be different, but when you have this many really good players transfer in at one time it's hard not to think something may be up. I've heard as many as 6 players total open enrollment. I could see where other fanbases would be upset.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

TCat wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:26 pm Sounds like alot of blame to go around. Parents have to protect the kids. But kids are impressionable and if this stuff is happening it is a bad look on the school. If it was 1 or 2 kids transferring it would be different, but when you have this many really good players transfer in at one time it's hard not to think something may be up. I've heard as many as 6 players total open enrollment. I could see where other fanbases would be upset.
4 to 6 players in one class in one year? No we don't recruit :roll:

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Oak wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:27 pm
TCat wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:26 pm Sounds like alot of blame to go around. Parents have to protect the kids. But kids are impressionable and if this stuff is happening it is a bad look on the school. If it was 1 or 2 kids transferring it would be different, but when you have this many really good players transfer in at one time it's hard not to think something may be up. I've heard as many as 6 players total open enrollment. I could see where other fanbases would be upset.
4 to 6 players in one class in one year? No we don't recruit :roll:
Norm says Hi.....

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

the Valley kid lost to burg at home in basketball... great comeback by burg

Injun
Waterboy

Post by Injun »

Wasn't that also the game that Crabtree sat his starters for most of the game

Valley full go pre transfers beats Wheelersburg as bad as they want every time

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Injun wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:40 pm Wasn't that also the game that Crabtree sat his starters for most of the game

Are we still talking junior high?

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

wobycat wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:28 pm
Injun wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:40 pm Wasn't that also the game that Crabtree sat his starters for most of the game

Are we still talking junior high?

7th grade at that lol.

Crabtree sat the starters for about the last 3 minutes of the 3rd quarter and about the first 2 minutes of the 4th quarter but Burg had made their comeback before he sat them. They just went cold on both ends of the floor and Burg was firing on all cylinders. Heck of a game.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

There isn't a Crabtree that coaches Jr. High Basketball at Valley.

From my view, I do not think that the coaches at Wheelersburg "recruit" anyone. The football and baseball programs recruit themselves. Period. Do I feel there is a parent/community member doing things surrounding the basketball program? Yes I do. Do I feel as though the basketball staff has something to do with it? That I am not sure of. But I do know there are things that don't add up when it comes to things surrounding the basketball program.

Anyone that pays attention to basketball at Wheelersburg knows what I am talking about.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

These younger kids and there parents get with a group of kids on travel ball teams that are predominately burg kids and them and there parents get hooked. It happens in baseball, basketball, softball etc. It may just be a kid filling in for a weekend or tournament and there hooked.

Injun
Waterboy

Post by Injun »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:43 am There isn't a Crabtree that coaches Jr. High Basketball at Valley.

From my view, I do not think that the coaches at Wheelersburg "recruit" anyone. The football and baseball programs recruit themselves. Period. Do I feel there is a parent/community member doing things surrounding the basketball program? Yes I do. Do I feel as though the basketball staff has something to do with it? That I am not sure of. But I do know there are things that don't add up when it comes to things surrounding the basketball program.

Anyone that pays attention to basketball at Wheelersburg knows what I am talking about.
Bingo. You are correct on basketball. But it happens the same way in football. The staff targets kids they want and they use others to insulate themselves.

For those that say this is silly it came straight from the mouth of one of the assistant coaches that the coaches are aware of certain players at the middle school level. And the 1st name he mentioned signed up open enrollment.

Is this hearsay? Yes. Is a parent telling people that he was told his kid would have an opportunity to play a certain position hearsay? Yes. Is a former Varsity head coach telling he was contacted by Wheelersburg administration and told certain players were gonna be there hearsay? Yes.

As far as travel teams. A couple of the kids listed played 1 summer of baseball together 3 years ago. No basketball together and the basketball teams they played on had no burg kids. So thats not it.

4 to 6 kids with basically no prior affiliation with each other is more than coincidence. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its probably a duck. Paperwork needs to be filed when the transfers are final because this stuff needs to stop. They are getting more brazing all the time.

Alot will tell if Wheelersburg lets the 7th grader to be in around kids who signed up earlier in a full class to get the athletic older brother.

Didn’t Wheelersburg go through this last year with a freshman basketball player who happened to play on an AAU team with large association with Matt Miller?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Without knowing any of these kids I’ll add my 2 cents. While following the football team this year throughout the playoffs, each game I began to notice more and more people from different local schools attending the games. I noticed by the state game some people that I vaguely know were in attendance and were no longer wearing there school colors but them and their kids were wearing burg colors. I thought to myself at the time some of these families are getting sucked in and will be at the burg in the fall. No better recruiting tool than winning.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Injun wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:11 am
Crab's Brother wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:43 am There isn't a Crabtree that coaches Jr. High Basketball at Valley.

Bingo. You are correct on basketball. But it happens the same way in football. The staff targets kids they want and they use others to insulate themselves.

For those that say this is silly it came straight from the mouth of one of the assistant coaches that the coaches are aware of certain players at the middle school level. And the 1st name he mentioned signed up open enrollment.

Is this hearsay? Yes. Is a parent telling people that he was told his kid would have an opportunity to play a certain position hearsay? Yes. Is a former Varsity head coach telling he was contacted by Wheelersburg administration and told certain players were gonna be there hearsay? Yes.

As far as travel teams. A couple of the kids listed played 1 summer of baseball together 3 years ago. No basketball together and the basketball teams they played on had no burg kids. So thats not it.

4 to 6 kids with basically no prior affiliation with each other is more than coincidence. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its probably a duck. Paperwork needs to be filed when the transfers are final because this stuff needs to stop. They are getting more brazing all the time.

Alot will tell if Wheelersburg lets the 7th grader to be in around kids who signed up earlier in a full class to get the athletic older brother.

Didn’t Wheelersburg go through this last year with a freshman basketball player who happened to play on an AAU team with large association with Matt Miller?
You seem to have a lot to say on this issue. How are you involved? Who cares if a kid is asked to come play at burg? It’s the parents decision on whether the kid goes play there in the first place. That’s their fault. If you got a problem with it, talk to the parents raising them. Recruiting happens when the athlete makes the decision not the parents.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

To be the best you have to get the best, not saying all of burgs good players have been recruited, they have a very good coaching staff as it's showed over the years and is a reason to why kids would want to transfer

Return to “Football”