What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

ManitouDan2
SE

Re: What’s the holdup on releasing the SOC all conference teams ?

Post by ManitouDan2 »

I wish Ms Brown and her other 7 Viper team mates the very best at SSU . Its a great place to get your college degree .

orangeandblack98
Riding the Bench

Post by orangeandblack98 »

COY Ruby
POY Sturgill
Pitcher Spence
no question this is how it should look. this is why no one cares except MDan and maybe a couple other people. politics favoritism and jealousy keeping deserving coaches and players from being named. who cares if your name is on that paper as the best. we know whos the best.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

fbnut wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:41 pm As for Ruby, the softball coach, it is truly unbelievable what she accomplished with her 2018 version of the Lady Pirates. If you thought that Wheelersburg could win its first 24 games of the year after losing seven starters, two NCAA Division I signees (Faith Howard and Kalle Coleman), and an NCAA Division II signee in Bre Klaiber who is setting a blistering pace at LIU-Post, you are kidding yourself. It has to be one of the best coaching jobs that has ever been done in the Tri-State Area regardless of the level of sport or what sport it is. Wheelersburg is extremely lucky to have Teresa Ruby and her staff on board.

from PDT

not good enough for SOC COY though :lol:
I believe Claxton threw 1st game of districts
When I read that in the paper I thought to myself even the Local paper is taking there shot at the Coaches selections

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Dang ,I didnt realize that was a media posting .. LOL and to O and B -- Its a little sad so many people dont care . Or just want to excuse it and say " move on , it's over " I guess its different if it happens to your daughter , or your player, or a player you are to close to . But until someone sheds some light on the process how do you improve it ?

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:44 pm Dang ,I didnt realize that was a media posting .. LOL and to O and B -- Its a little sad so many people dont care . Or just want to excuse it and say " move on , it's over " I guess its different if it happens to your daughter , or your player, or a player you are to close to . But until someone sheds some light on the process how do you improve it ?
The quote above about coach ruby was in Monday or Tuesdays Daily times
Local paper giving a WTF :lol:

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

So the real comments are coming out. Wheelersburg should have all 9 players on first or second teams and rest of SOC gets what’s left over that’s my belief in reading these comments. Wow I think it’s called the SOC awards maybe not the Wheelersburg awards. Anyone else agree but anyways that’s how it came across to me. Good luck to all

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

No it should just be the best players in THE SOC. Team shouldn't matter or how many from a team or if a team has no one. It's always been that way so it is what it is. But... I guarantee you there are kids that make all SOC that wouldn't start for some teams in the league

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Prime Time wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:42 pm So the real comments are coming out. Wheelersburg should have all 9 players on first or second teams and rest of SOC gets what’s left over that’s my belief in reading these comments. Wow I think it’s called the SOC awards maybe not the Wheelersburg awards. Anyone else agree but anyways that’s how it came across to me. Good luck to all
You post is so far off base its hard to even take seriously . This thread mainly discussed Pitcher of the year and Coach of the year . And no where . NO WHERE does anyone suggest all 9 Burg starters should be honored with anything . As a matter fact very very few posters even named any Burg player . So if you would like to add FACTS to your argument that the way things were done and the choice of player and coach then please do so . But I dont mean " give it player A because they are a senior and tried really hard " Unless thats what you believe . Throwing every inning means diddly squat if you dont win . It only mean your team didn't have another pitcher .
Some stats cant be fudged or bent . Its fact Burgs two pitchers dominated the league . Its fact they had the lowest ERA's , Its fact they went undefeated , its fact they would be the number one starter on every team in the SOC except possibly Waverly . So is there really a question about who had the best on field performance ? Should a team be penalized for being good ? FWIW I have ZERO connections to anyone at Burg . I do care about kids passed over for stuff they deserve . And you should too .
Last edited by ManitouDan2 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

As for coach award -- The PDT wrapped that up rather nicely .

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:26 pm
Prime Time wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:42 pm So the real comments are coming out. Wheelersburg should have all 9 players on first or second teams and rest of SOC gets what’s left over that’s my belief in reading these comments. Wow I think it’s called the SOC awards maybe not the Wheelersburg awards. Anyone else agree but anyways that’s how it came across to me. Good luck to all
You post is so far off base its hard to even take seriously . This thread mainly discussed Pitcher of the year and Coach of the year . And no where . NO WHERE does anyone suggest all 9 Burg starters should be honored with anything . As a matter fact very very few posters even named any Burg player . So if you would like to add FACTS to your argument that the way things were done and the choice of player and coach then please do so . But I dont mean " give it player A because they are a senior and tried really hard " Unless thats what you believe . Throwing every inning means diddly squat if you dont win . It only mean your team didn't have another pitcher .
Some stats cant be fudged or bent . Its fact Burgs two pitchers dominated the league . Its fact they had the lowest ERA's , Its fact they went undefeated , its fact they would be the number one starter on every team in the SOC except possibly Waverly . So is there really a question about who had the best on field performance ? Should a team be penalized for being good ? FWIW I have ZERO connections to anyone at Burg . I do care about kids passed over for stuff they deserve . And you should too .
ERA isn't everything. The fact that both pitchers had great numbers should be a testament of the Burg defense and coaching almost as much as it is the pitchers.
I can easily see why both awards were given to who they were given to.
Some of you all have biases for teams. I've been in this board for YEARS and seen it. And it's perfectly ok, heck i have my own. But it's amazing why there can't be any other explanation for why Burg didn't get an award other than a "screwjob". It really takes away from all these awards don't matter arguments to turn around and see the same people saying Burg got screwed.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

I’m no Burg homer , just want to see the players who did the most bestest ( Little Caesar’s ? ) get the awards . No conspiracy , nothing of the sort . Carry on

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

The only facts that matter in the end has been published in the newspapers, those are facts, opinions are a dime a dozen.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:40 pm
ManitouDan2 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:26 pm
ERA isn't everything. The fact that both pitchers had great numbers should be a testament of the Burg defense and coaching almost as much as it is the pitchers.
I can easily see why both awards were given to who they were given to.
Some of you all have biases for teams. I've been in this board for YEARS and seen it. And it's perfectly ok, heck i have my own. But it's amazing why there can't be any other explanation for why Burg didn't get an award other than a "screwjob". It really takes away from all these awards don't matter arguments to turn around and see the same people saying Burg got screwed.
When selecting Pitcher of the Year I would think ERA, wins and losses would be near the top of things to consider. Last time I checked errors don’t count against your ERA.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

But it sure does affect the wins or losses by a pitcher. So you can’t always go on the win loss aspect of a pitcher

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Prime Time wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:36 pm But it sure does affect the wins or losses by a pitcher. So you can’t always go on the win loss aspect of a pitcher
I was responding to someone else who said “ERA isn’t everything”. When selecting Pitcher of year it is pretty high on list of things to consider. If this was even close not sure you would have this kind of conversation. I have no problem with the player of the year. Would not have been my pick but I certainly understand how someone would choose her. She would have been on everyone’s top 2-3 players in SOC. The pitcher of year is just kind of a head scratcher. You could eliminate the burg ladies and I’m still not sure the winner is in the conversation.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

Prime Time wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:28 pm The only facts that matter in the end has been published in the newspapers, those are facts, opinions are a dime a dozen.
I still think it should be public information about how each coach voted for the POY and COY. It is easy to hide at the water cooler to discuss the voting and then vote when nobody is watching over it. I feel the Ironton Tribune and the Portsmouth Daily Times should request that information be made available for publishing. I agree the fact is that those girls and coaches ultimately won on this broken system and should be congratulated for a great season. All in all, these conference awards are just wall hangers in their home which will have no bearing on their college. Heck, the coaches actually pick who they want from their team on the conference awards and don't have to answer to anyone else. I see several that shouldn't be on the list unless they just had bad games against my daughter's team. I know coaches have a tough job and that is why I am not a coach along with having a coach who has no ties to the HS team is the best. The All-state teams are the ones and you can see truly who the best athletes are in the Southeast by looking at that list.

"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"
Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

By looking at the all state list you can see who some of the best athletes are but honestly I know of a lot of players not on that list that are a lot better than some that are on there. Some of those girls not making that list are committed to D1 power 5 conference schools. But they didn't make it? Some not even first team in their district.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

Browns30 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:02 pm By looking at the all state list you can see who some of the best athletes are but honestly I know of a lot of players not on that list that are a lot better than some that are on there. Some of those girls not making that list are committed to D1 power 5 conference schools. But they didn't make it? Some not even first team in their district.
According to a local coach who posts on here all the time, the coach can nominate up to 4 players on their team for districts. It may be an issue with the coach not getting their list in. There are girls on the district team who didn’t make their conference team either. I think the all-state list is fairly accurate but there are always exceptions. At least it isn’t the team’s coach solely making the decisions.

"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"
rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

The coaches voted and they are responsible. I’m not even sure how you accept COY award when it belonged to Burg coach. By accepting it you diminish the award and then it means nothing in the long run. It become arbitrary hand out.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Wow, this says it all! Just amazing.

Return to “Softball”