Chip Otten: The Keys To A Successful High School Football Program

theusbc@yahoo.com
Waterboy

Chip Otten: The Keys To A Successful High School Football Program

Post by theusbc@yahoo.com »

From 2017 - Chip Otten: The Keys To A Successful High School Football Program
https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2017 ... ll-program

See why Coldwater and the MAC have been so successful over the years....

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Chip Otten: The Keys To A Successful High School Football Program

Post by Omega »

theusbc@yahoo.com wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:32 am From 2017 - Chip Otten: The Keys To A Successful High School Football Program

Good article. Yet I do not believe there is a single magic formula to developing a successful high school football program or conference. Coaching and available talent are a given. The nebulous factors are team chemistry, administrative support, and community support.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Keys to success in high school sports

1. Be a school district with a lot of kids per square miles
2. Middle class two parent households
3. In an area where the other schools suck at sports or full of drugs. This is big for Jackson football, Wheelersburg, and Warren basketball
4. Good coaching

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

theusbc@yahoo.com wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:32 am From 2017 - Chip Otten: The Keys To A Successful High School Football Program

Good article, and one that works for them given a lot of factors they have going for them in that area. I do like some of the stuff they do as a team and all coaches going being at all games. As we all know though what works for one doesn't work for another just to many other factors. If it did work everywhere then it would be applied everywhere and this is something that simply isn't happening. Another factor is I don't believe these schools or most of them offer soccer either which is another sport to contend with at the same time. The MAC is football driven, no soccer and I don't know but does anyone even know anything about their basketball?? I mean there's smaller schools where the basketball coach is firmly against kids playing football or missing anything basketball related during the summer or fall because that student is playing football and it forces kids to choose. Love the MAC it's just unrealistic for most areas to try and follow that same template to success.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Raider6309 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:07 pm Keys to success in high school sports

1. Be a school district with a lot of kids per square miles
2. Middle class two parent households
3. In an area where the other schools suck at sports or full of drugs. This is big for Jackson football, Wheelersburg, and Warren basketball
4. Good coaching
I would agree on all but no. 2... I would say Familial Stability is the factor... it just happens that the situation you described is likely the most common way to get that stability.

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

Yeah, I think ole Chip forgot to mention a few things.

-As mentioned above, no soccer program to steal athletes from your program.

-Having a good wrestling program which will help develop your linemen in the winter.

Having said that, Coldwater is a well run program. They don't usually have the biggest or the most athletic players, but they are very efficient and also well disciplined.

big medicine
Waterboy

Post by big medicine »

greygoose wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Good article, and one that works for them given a lot of factors they have going for them in that area. I do like some of the stuff they do as a team and all coaches going being at all games. As we all know though what works for one doesn't work for another just to many other factors. If it did work everywhere then it would be applied everywhere and this is something that simply isn't happening. Another factor is I don't believe these schools or most of them offer soccer either which is another sport to contend with at the same time. The MAC is football driven, no soccer and I don't know but does anyone even know anything about their basketball?? I mean there's smaller schools where the basketball coach is firmly against kids playing football or missing anything basketball related during the summer or fall because that student is playing football and it forces kids to choose. Love the MAC it's just unrealistic for most areas to try and follow that same template to success.
Been a while since I have checked in over here, but it is getting to be that time of year.

Correct on the soccer, only New Knoxville has boys soccer, ( they do not have football, smallest school in conference, graduate usually 30 some kids each class, total boys and girls).

As to the question about basketball, the MAC as a league has 10 boys basketball state titles ( 12 girls). With Marion Local boys and Minster girls both bringing home gold trophies this past season.

To the wrestling I believe only Coldwater, Versailles, Delphos St. Johns, and Parkway have wrestling.

I don't believe there is much of a problem with coaches sharing multiple sport athletes, actually have read many articles/ interviews where the coaches readily encouraging it.

Return to “Football”