Piketon @ Minford scrimmage 8/10/18

14U
S

Re: Piketon @ Minford scrimmage 8/10/18

Post by 14U »

BondRoad Bandit wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:05 pm My biggest take away was the improvement of the offensive line. I know it was one scrimmage but compared to last year much much better up front. Add in a very skilled running back quick strong and top end fast should make for a great year running the ball. Both the QBs looked really good I believe Kelly started but they spilt the 10 play series 5 plays each I believe and spilt the down and distance. Defense looked very good and few blown coverages but they will be fine. Hated to see Darius Jordan sidelined with a injury hopefully everything goes well with his recovery he would’ve have been one the best players in the conference on both sides of the ball.
So you think your team will run a 2 QB system? If so you think it will workout? Jordan out until baseball, hate that for the kid or any kid at that!! Yes Jordan would have had a good senior season.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

greygoose wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:15 pm
hbk1999 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:46 pm Why aren’t the Piketon kids coming out for football?
Coach Gullion seems to do a nice job there.
Obviously more going on behind the scenes than what any of us know.
Could be something, may be nothing. Rumor is a few of the kids wanted to focus on “other” sports. If true it sounds like some kids are getting bad advice from Somewhere. Not sure your senior season is the time for that but to each their own I guess.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

mlittle wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:37 am
hbk1999 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:46 pm Why aren’t the Piketon kids coming out for football?
Coach Gullion seems to do a nice job there.
Could be something, may be nothing. Rumor is a few of the kids wanted to focus on “other” sports. If true it sounds like some kids are getting bad advice from Somewhere. Not sure your senior season is the time for that but to each their own I guess.
From what I'm hearing, there is definitely something going on with Piketon, and it's not just kids wanting to focus on "other" sports. That's just the cop-out answer that ppl are hoping others buy into.

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

Post by BondRoad Bandit »

14U wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:47 pm
BondRoad Bandit wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:05 pm My biggest take away was the improvement of the offensive line. I know it was one scrimmage but compared to last year much much better up front. Add in a very skilled running back quick strong and top end fast should make for a great year running the ball. Both the QBs looked really good I believe Kelly started but they spilt the 10 play series 5 plays each I believe and spilt the down and distance. Defense looked very good and few blown coverages but they will be fine. Hated to see Darius Jordan sidelined with a injury hopefully everything goes well with his recovery he would’ve have been one the best players in the conference on both sides of the ball.
So you think your team will run a 2 QB system? If so you think it will workout? Jordan out until baseball, hate that for the kid or any kid at that!! Yes Jordan would have had a good senior season.
No I don’t! I think a starter will be named and hopefully the other will contribute at wr because either one could be a great WR. And yes hopefully he is back for baseball, great kid that comes from a great family.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

greygoose wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:39 am

From what I'm hearing, there is definitely something going on with Piketon, and it's not just kids wanting to focus on "other" sports. That's just the cop-out answer that ppl are hoping others buy into.
In your first statement you suggested that there was more going on than any of us know and now you’re implying you actually know. I’m curious what you know or have heard. Regardless of the reason the kids aren’t playing and we have to deal with it. Doesn’t matter why right now

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

mlittle wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:55 am
greygoose wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:39 am

In your first statement you suggested that there was more going on than any of us know and now you’re implying you actually know. I’m curious what you know or have heard. Regardless of the reason the kids aren’t playing and we have to deal with it. Doesn’t matter why right now
You're exactly right doesn't matter why right now. They're playing with the hand they've dealt themselves, and I won't be airing any Piketon laundry if that's what you were hoping, lol.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I am not sure of Piketon's experience on the line, but they looked much smaller and not as strong as I have seen them be up front in the past.

Minford looked much improved on the line compared to the past 2 years. They need to be able to run the ball effectively (as we saw in the game vs Logan last year) to be successful on offense this year.

I thought both Minford QB's looked good but I still think the Lewis kid throws a much better ball in general. I think the things that impressed me the most was the Wiget kid and how shifty and fast he looked. He looks like he put on quite a bit of muscle too.

The defense looked much improved. LB and DB play was way better than I saw the past 2 years and the D line looked very good.

All in all there was much more enthusiasm and I think that with Matiz coming back and the addition of the McCray to the staff will be a big help.

As a head coach you are only as good as your staff who is teaching techniques to the players. I think this is by far the best staff Ruby has had since taking over.

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

Post by BondRoad Bandit »

Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:26 am I am not sure of Piketon's experience on the line, but they looked much smaller and not as strong as I have seen them be up front in the past.

Minford looked much improved on the line compared to the past 2 years. They need to be able to run the ball effectively (as we saw in the game vs Logan last year) to be successful on offense this year.

I thought both Minford QB's looked good but I still think the Lewis kid throws a much better ball in general. I think the things that impressed me the most was the Wiget kid and how shifty and fast he looked. He looks like he put on quite a bit of muscle too.

The defense looked much improved. LB and DB play was way better than I saw the past 2 years and the D line looked very good.

All in all there was much more enthusiasm and I think that with Matiz coming back and the addition of the McCray to the staff will be a big help.

As a head coach you are only as good as your staff who is teaching techniques to the players. I think this is by far the best staff Ruby has had since taking over.
i agree, the weight program turned a 180 this offseason thanks to a couple of coach’s. It’s nice seeing lineman move people around. And Matiz, Gaines and Frazie are going to make a great defensive coaching core the 3. Hopefully the offense follows suit with the improvement.

Return to “Football”