2018 Minford Falcons Football Outlook

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: 2018 Minford Falcons Football Outlook

Post by Bleeding Red »

Blitz wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:16 pm
BondRoad Bandit wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:57 pm
Blitz wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:13 am there has NEVER i repeat NEVER been a player older than 19 in the history of Ohio high school sports at Burg or anywhere. saying otherwise is STUPID and WRONG. the new rule allows the oldest players in history!
I wouldn’t say “never” but really even if they are 19 during a season it makes a big difference especially in boys.
I 110% agree it makes a difference. I just get tired of all the idiots claiming Burg and other schools have 20 somethings playing sports.... it's just STUPID and incorrect. Playing at 19 is the rule so why complain about a team following the rules.... again it's just stupid. i am willing to bet that every SOC II team has 19 year old on their team.... some more than others ;)
You just said that there "has never been a player older than 19 in the history of Ohio high school sports at Burg or anywhere".

Want to make a bet on that? I would be careful on who you call "idiots" after making a stupid statement like that.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

If your following the rules who cares. If you can do it and don’t it’s your fault. Quit the whining

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:52 pm

I wouldn’t say “never” but really even if they are 19 during a season it makes a big difference especially in boys.
I 110% agree it makes a difference. I just get tired of all the idiots claiming Burg and other schools have 20 somethings playing sports.... it's just STUPID and incorrect. Playing at 19 is the rule so why complain about a team following the rules.... again it's just stupid. i am willing to bet that every SOC II team has 19 year old on their team.... some more than others ;)
You just said that there "has never been a player older than 19 in the history of Ohio high school sports at Burg or anywhere".

Want to make a bet on that? I would be careful on who you call "idiots" after making a stupid statement like that.
So are you saying the burg is breaking rules and playing 20 year olds?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg has had some players reach 19 before football was over but 98% will be 18 for most if not the entire senior year. It is ridiculous to have the notion that this makes a difference in football players. Last year Tanner Holden the D5 player of the year was 17. The only place you see age be a difference factor is junior high, where Burg historically hasn't been that strong.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

wobycat wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:41 pm

Burg has had some players reach 19 before football was over but 98% will be 18 for most if not the entire senior year. It is ridiculous to have the notion that this makes a difference in football players. Last year Tanner Holden the D5 player of the year was 17. The only place you see age be a difference factor is junior high, where Burg historically hasn't been that strong.
So 98% of Burg's players will be 18 for most if not the entire senior year?? Really? That's not what I've heard. I'd be willing to bet a milkshake you're not even close on that stat. And you really don't believe being a year older makes a difference? I don't think you will find too many people that agree with that statement. Most folks believe it makes a darn big difference!

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

Post by BondRoad Bandit »

Blitz wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:13 am there has NEVER i repeat NEVER been a player older than 19 in the history of Ohio high school sports at Burg or anywhere. saying otherwise is STUPID and WRONG. the new rule allows the oldest players in history!
I’m not complaining it’s within the rules I have no problem with it but when some people say it doesn’t make a difference (which you did not) that to me is a dumb comment. It makes a huge difference.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

toast wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:27 pm

So 98% of Burg's players will be 18 for most if not the entire senior year?? Really? That's not what I've heard. I'd be willing to bet a milkshake you're not even close on that stat. And you really don't believe being a year older makes a difference? I don't think you will find too many people that agree with that statement. Most folks believe it makes a darn big difference!
Believe it, don’t believe it it really doesn’t matter but most of the burg seniors will be 18 for the majority of the season. For everyone that will turn 19 during season there will be one that will be 17 the majority of the season.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

toast wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:27 pm

Agreed. And a year (or two with a lot of these past players) makes a huge difference.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

fbnut wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:11 pm

Not anymore since they changed the rule this year.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:41 am
a_c_m wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:03 am
Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:37 am

While I agree with the point of "team" mentality that your post was trying to illustrate, I hardly think there is constant "bickering" among the Minford fans on here or in the community. The Minford program took a complete nosedive when Ruby took over. To single it out on one particular issue is not fair as we saw a decline in the overall coaching staff, weight program, etc. This year the coaching staff is much improved to what Ruby had the past 2 years. I know they have changed the weight/conditioning philosophy as well and it is apparent in the look of some of the kids after only one offseason.

They are still dealing with 14-18 year old kids in Minford, far different than the 18-21 year olds that roam the gridiron at Burg :lol: :lol:
So we will just call it a difference in maturity.
According to the OHSAA Regulations on age, it states that where a high school student (grades 9-12) turns 20 years of age, he/she becomes ineligible for interscholastic athletics. So , therefore there are not any 20 or 21 year olds roaming the gridiron at Burg.
There definitely was last year, and the previous year, and the year before that.....etc etc.

Want to dispute? I am sure it would only take me a few minutes to throw a large list together.
So let’s see your large list. According to you it shouldn’t take long to throw together.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Hey, loving man , you’ve been called !

Penguin
Freshman Team

Post by Penguin »

If it didn't matter they wouldn't be prep schools. Being age 19 to 19.5 or whatever the case may be makes a HUGE difference in physical maturity. I have known several athletes who have grown 2 even 3+ inches AFTER high school. With all that being said, who cares, everyone can do it, fire up the Pre-1st grade or whatever it is others do. If you want your child to be 19 on the gridiron to better compete in high school athletics or mature emotionally before entering the "real world" hold your child back. No need for the bickering on here back and forth, it is what it is.

falcon117
Riding the Bench

Post by falcon117 »

Getting back to Minford.....Ruby was put in a tough situation when Daniels left. Almost every assistant left with Daniels and he had to rebuild his entire staff. I believe this year he has a solid staff that can elevate the players. Jared McCray has been a huge help to the O-line and it showed in the Piketon scrimmage. Having Matiz back will also be a big help on defense. The only complaint I have about Ruby is the culture and atmosphere of the program. The team seems to be missing that drive to be the best they can be. They seem to settle for whatever happens instead of being mad when they get beat. That's something that I'd like to see Ruby change this year.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:52 pm
fbnut wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:11 pm

Not anymore since they changed the rule this year.
Found the rule from 2015 that states if you turn 19 before aug 1st your not eligible

TheNest20
Waterboy

Post by TheNest20 »

Thought this was a thread about Minford, not a debate about burg?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TheNest20 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:22 pm Thought this was a thread about Minford, not a debate about burg?
Tell minford fans to stop talking about it then.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

wobycat wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:41 pm The only place you see age be a difference factor is junior high, where Burg historically hasn't been that strong.

That's b/c all the recruiting and transfers hasn't started yet. :shock: :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen: That should get a few of 'em goin':shock: :mrgreen:

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
2quick2catch
Freshman Team

Post by 2quick2catch »

Wheelersburg athletes stay with the program beyond junior high more often than their counterparts around southern Ohio. They may have a .500 junior high team time to time but they are being taught and coached up in the right ways. For example, for the longest time during Barrick's regime, the Wheelersburg Junior High for sure and most youth teams were not even permitted to play Zone defense. I know coach Woodward has a strong hand in the the football top to bottom as well. If you keep the majority of your kids from Junior High on out and you are doing the right things player development wise, you have a factory as the Burg does.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

2quick2catch wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:02 am Wheelersburg athletes stay with the program beyond junior high more often than their counterparts around southern Ohio. They may have a .500 junior high team time to time but they are being taught and coached up in the right ways. For example, for the longest time during Barrick's regime, the Wheelersburg Junior High for sure and most youth teams were not even permitted to play Zone defense. I know coach Woodward has a strong hand in the the football top to bottom as well. If you keep the majority of your kids from Junior High on out and you are doing the right things player development wise, you have a factory as the Burg does.
Thank you.

BTW the Burg thread is over that way >>>>>>>>

It would be a better place for your Burg comments and the secrets as to why Burg is a dynasty.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Bleeding Red wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:15 am
2quick2catch wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:02 am Wheelersburg athletes stay with the program beyond junior high more often than their counterparts around southern Ohio. They may have a .500 junior high team time to time but they are being taught and coached up in the right ways. For example, for the longest time during Barrick's regime, the Wheelersburg Junior High for sure and most youth teams were not even permitted to play Zone defense. I know coach Woodward has a strong hand in the the football top to bottom as well. If you keep the majority of your kids from Junior High on out and you are doing the right things player development wise, you have a factory as the Burg does.
Thank you.

BTW the Burg thread is over that way >>>>>>>>

It would be a better place for your Burg comments and the secrets as to why Burg is a dynasty.
Haven’t watched much jr high lately but Minford used to be pretty notorious about playing kids out of position at the jr high level. They would put these big huge kids in the backfield to run over kids that were 100lbs smaller. Did they win a lot of jr high games? Yes but it didn’t help there program in highschool. They sacrificed at the highschool level to win a few jr high games. Everyone could look at those 6’2 245lb jr high fullbacks and tell they were future linemen

Return to “Football”